Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Art Usage Policy!  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Tally

Art Usage Policy!
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
You are totally free to use whatever means you like to visually represent your character, whether you choose to do so with a photograph of a model/actor or through art, whether your own or someone else's.

However, if you are using pictures that are not your own, please make sure to credit them—and be sure to read each artist/photographer's usage policy to be sure that you are even allowed to use their pictures, first. :3 This is just a measure to protect independent artists and photographers.

You're perfectly free to use art from official, corporate sources (published anime (not fanart or original anime/manga art by independent artists), video games, movies, etc.) as well as photos of celebrities without crediting your sources. But apart from those sources, please either credit or do not use the image. If you're unsure as to whether something is or is not an official source, we'll err on the side of caution and disallow the image.

Furthermore, if you can't find the artist of an original piece (for instance, say you found the image on photobucket), you can always check it here: http://tineye.com

Thank you!

[center:b1lav9p2]Images that violate our art policy will now be removed from profiles without warning.[/center:b1lav9p2]

[center:b1lav9p2]F.A.Q[/center:b1lav9p2]

Are there any exceptions to crediting artwork?
Yes. If the art is very obviously from a corporate/official art source, or if you commissioned the picture yourself. Those are the only two exceptions.

Their name is on the picture. Do I still have to credit?
Yep. Even if their name and url are on the picture, we still require written credit.

I can't find the artist and this picture is perfect!
No artist, no credit, no picture. Sorry! But there's tons of artists out there who you CAN credit. Go check their art. Or visit The Studio and see if you can find an artist to draw a picture for you. Or commission an artist. Or draw the picture yourself. Or visit Portrait Adoption and buy a portrait there! :3

So if I credit I can use any picture I want, right?
Not quite! x3 Some artists disallow their work to be redistributed even if credit is given. This is their right as the copyright holder, and we will honor their wishes.

Well, I'm still searching for the original artist...
Great! Take the picture down until you can find them. Then you can put it up. (:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest »