SPACE STATIONS > The Cancer

Taillights in the Data Trails (Dragonsong!)

<< < (2/29) > >>

DragonSong:
[Nice!]

"Oh."

She quickly dropped her hand from his arm and stepped back awkwardly. "Er, sorry, I just...I was supposed to meet someone here." She managed to return his smile easily enough--just because he wasn't her contact didn't mean he hadn't helped her, and she was grateful for that--and she took his hand to shake.

Her palms and fingertips were rough, calloused, and her avatar even had a few grease stains streaked over the back of one hand and around the cuffs of her jacket, which she hadn't noticed before. Damn, that guy who'd sold her the rig had really been paying attention to the little details.

Chuckling a little self-deprecatingly, she nodded in response to his question and shrugged. "Yeah, is it that obvious?" She dropped his hand and glanced around again, trying to figure out where she was supposed to actually meet this Reese person without seeming rude. "I'm, uh... I know most people here are from Cancer, right? I'm...not. I'm definitely from out of town. Name’s Pink.”

Daglobster:
The calloused hands and small grease stain caught his eye. It was a curious thing, to see imperfections in the Sensenet. Why have blemishes or creases in your clothes when you can just program everything to be perfect? Whether intentional or not, it gained her a decent bit of Kayse’s respect. He himself had scuffs on his boots and creases on his pants. Instead of looking like he came straight from a fashion ad like most Netgoers instead, well...

He looked like a real person. So it got him to wondering if she really did just look like that, and if so, she was pretty easy on the eyes. If only she didn’t say she was here for someone else, he woulda asked her to be his date for tonight.

“Out of town, huh? Well you’re not the only one. Folks plug in from all over,” he said, and he leaned back against a railing that overlooked the main dance floor. He gestured backwards with a thumb and gave her a smile.

“Can I get you a drink?” He asked, giving her a slight raise of his eyebrows.

“I’m sure whoever’s waiting for you can wait a little longer,” he added.

DragonSong:
“Yeah, I guess they would...” Pink’s eyes moved over the crowd, wide and almost childlike in their curiosity. Now that she was adjusting a bit, she could allow herself to really just be swept up in the sheer magnitude of the place—and its patrons.

She’d never seen so many colors. Was that a frickin’ purple werewolf?!

She gave herself a little shake and looked back to him, eyebrows creeping up fractionally at the offer. “Oh, well...”

A drink sounded really nice, actually. And hey, it was a VR—it’s not like she had to worry about him trying to pull something, really, so she could actually afford to take a bit of a risk with a stranger and still wake up in the safety of her bed.

...She was starting to understand how people could like this sort of thing.

“That sounds great. Thanks.” She smiled and nodded gratefully. “Honestly, I’ve never met this guy before, but he’s supposed to be able to find me, so...well, I guess he can just find me.” Fuck it, it wasn’t like she’d been given specific instructions or anything. And this Kayse guy was pretty cute, or at least the avatar was. There were worse ways to kill some time.

A thought occurred to her and she cocked her head to the side slightly. “So, how come you had an extra ticket, anyway? Just waiting to gallantly rescue the first cute bird you saw struggling at the gate and offer her drinks?” Her tone was wry, but the slight glint to her eyes and minute quirk to the corner of her lips belied a playfulness begins the words.

Daglobster:
Kayse chuckled and snapped his fingers.

“Exactly. And hey, drinks are included on the VIP pass too, if you can dig that,” he said, and motioned for her to come along. Unlike Pink, Kayse was at home in the Sensenet. It was as real as real could get without being reality and the rebel in him relished the nonconformity of it all.

He stepped down the marbled stairs down to the center of the ballroom, skimming alongside the dance floor as he sought out the place’s bar. It had a three just in this chamber alone but Kayse opted for the closest one. The bar and club was manned by programs mocked up as chamberlains, butlers, and valets. He promptly set himself down on a cushioned stool and motioned to the one next to him.

“Well, it wasn’t my intent to come here and rescue a pretty lady’s night, but my plus one left me hanging. I was gonna scalp it but I couldn’t help myself when I overheard your troubles,” he said, teasing, and with that same grin on his face he perused the menu and asked the bartender for one of their special drinks, a sazerac cocktail, and looked back to her.

After she ordered, he snapped his fingers again.

“Let me guess... you’re from Edanith?”

DragonSong:
Pink chuckled quietly as she followed him to the bar, though she wasn't quite able to keep her eyes entirely off the pulsing, writhing mass of color and light from the dance floor. Everything here was just so much. "Well, aren't you just my hero?"

Boosting herself easily up onto the stool beside Kayse, she flicked through the menu for a moment before opting to just order a straight glass of scotch. No need to get fancy, really, she did still have to meet a potential contact tonight.

...Maybe she'd celebrate later. Hopefully.

Another small snort of laughter when he guessed she was from Edanith and she shook her head. "Not even close," she replied with a crooked smile and that same playful glint in her eye. "And you? Local to Cancer, or are you also an out-of-towner?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version