EDANITH > The Frontier

I sense a disturbance... (OPEN TO ALL)

(1/6) > >>

Anonymous:
Tetroneaque was busy again with one of his inventions.  This time the Empire had desired the creation of a new mode of transportation.  Since their development on faster than light travel was barely creeping along, they decided alternate methods for high speed travel were needed.  Thus, once again they turned ( albeit reluctantly ) to Tetroneaque.

The little kitsune scientist tinkered with his various gizmos and gadgets.  It looked like some laboratory out of a bad science fiction monster movie, with various objects seemingly having no function.  However among all this chaos the little purple furred kitsune went about quickly.  He tweaked one device and then another.  Everything in the room seemed to be connected to a huge engine like device in the center of the spacious room.  Various cables and wires connected everything.  There was no other life in the room besides Tetroneaque, as no one would volunteer to work with him and he desired no assistants that might get in his way.  All in all it worked out fine for him.  The government paid him well, furnished him with a lab and all the resources he could ever want, and left him alone to do as he pleased with his free time.  In exchange he developed weapons and other useful technology for them.

"Anther few twists here..."  He commented to himself.  He had taken to speaking out loud, even though there was no one else within miles.  Sometimes he simply liked to hear his own voice.

"That should do it."  He declared with satisfaction.  "Now for the test run!"  His tone was nothing short of gleeful.  He quickly hurried across the room and grabbed a small robotic creature that resembled a ten legged spider with a large red light on top of it.  He activated the tracking drone and placed it in the massive device in the center of the room.  He slammed shut the opening and went over to the control console and began to type away.

The machine whirled to life, the lights dimmed, a sound like thunder, then the machine went silent again and everything was normal once more.

Tetroneaque opened the device and the drone was gone!  He hurried back to the console and checked the tracking coordinates.  To his delight it seemed the tracking drone was still whole and now was across the continent at another government facility!

"SUCCESS!!!"  He cried and jumped with joy.  He did a little dance, almost tripping over his own feet he was so happy.

"At last it seems the matter transporter is successful!  I can send any object anywhere I want with this thing.  I can smell that big fat raise already."  He declared.  Then a thought came to his mind.

"Hmmm... I can send a little drone across the continent with such this facilities' generators.  I wonder where I could send one if I used more energy."

He wasn't about to theorize about it when he could simply test his device again.  He grabbed another drone, activated it, then tossed it into the matter transporter.  He went to the console and began to channel the lab's power into the device, then using his access from the government, diverted the nearest city's power all into his lab.  The entire facility began to grow dim as it fed all the energy into the device, and the city nearest the lab experienced a black out.

However everything started to fall apart after that.  Sirens and alarms began to blare, warnings going off across the facility.  Tetroneaque tried to shut down the power and abort the experiment, but it was already too late.  He had no control anymore!  The entire place started to shake and the matter transporter was glowing so bright it hurt to look in it's direction.  Tetroneaque shielded his eyes and curled into a ball, petrified with terror now.  Never had any of his experiments gone quite so far wrong.  His sensitive ears were ringing and he thought he hear something like metal tearing, followed by a near deafening pop.

Then almost as quickly as it had started, everything stopped.  The lights were all off now, with only the dim emergency lights giving off a glow.  Tetroneaque was still shaking in terror down on the floor, but slowly uncurled and stood up.  He was panting.

"Okay... now let's see where that drone ended up."  He stated matter of factly, wanting to see the results of his last test even if it had damn near killed him.

He stared at the monitor a few moments.  The readings didn't make any sense.  Apparently the drone was still in the same spot.  He went over to his machine and opened it up, but it was empty.

"What the blazes?  Something is wrong...."  He stated and checked the readout again.  Then a third time.  Then a cold chill went down his spine.  Instead of checking where the tracking drone was he decided to see where his lab was.

"Oh no..."  His heart sank.  His own location was nowhere on the maps, or even any star chart.  As far as he could tell, he and a sizable chunk of his lab where clear gone from the planet.  He wasn't even in his own galaxy anymore!

He instinctively tried to fire up his machine again to reverse the experiment, but no sooner had he tried that the machine simply melted.  He danced away from the puddle of molten metal, which cooled more rapidly than he would have thought possible.  His machine was gone, and he had no replacement parts to rebuild it.  In fact, near everything on the matter transporter had been custom built to his specifications.  He was stuck where ever he now was.

He decided to activate the external cameras of his lab, as well as the weather sensors and waited for them to boot up.  The power surge he had inflicted on his own lab was still taking some time to recover from and what systems were left were sluggish.  Soon enough though he was greeted not with the lush river valley his lab had been situated in, but a desert like wasteland with a different colored sun above it.

"Well... I guess this makes me the first kitsune to explore another planet."  He said with a chuckle.  He waited for the sensors to indicate the climate outside, or if there was even an atmosphere for him to breathe in.  He was glad that he had designed his lab to be airtight as he waited.

Anonymous:
Svindri, fed up with the noise and bustle around her in Tynova, decided to go for a walk. A long walk. Using the money from the temporary job as a waitress she'd gotten she bought a pack, food, water and a few more things to shelter her from Mars' harsh atmosphere. Once she was certain that her body could withstand the environment she trekked to the gates of the city and left.

Walking was an easy thing for her as whenever a muscle got tired or sore she replaced it with another. The replacements weren't usually as efficient as the muscles meant to do the job of walking, but they meant she walked a long way in a day - a lot further than any human could. The Mars air was harsh and she welcomed it, breathing deeply as she felt the sand scour her insides. It was like using a rough towel when you really wanted to scrub yourself properly dry. The air humans breathed was soft and not refreshing like the sharp air over the Eir Ocean or as tasty as the air in the human-named 'Wastelands' back on Earth.

When all her leg muscles and arm muscles screamed at her (she'd walked on her hands for some time too) for rest she stopped for the night, making camp in a little pocket of greenery tucked in beside a cliff. The break from the noise of the city was peaceful to Svindri. Even she, who enjoyed bustly noises more than a lot of her kind, needed a break from the constant life sounds sometimes. Out here was the perfect solution. She could hear a lot of things around but they were all inanimate sounds, created by the wind hitting various textures and rock shifting. She slept.

Svindri spent many days like this, relaxing in an environment that would have killed many humans by now. Most of this territory was not terraformed yet and remained untouched by human influences. Svindri's skin-suit, bought to protect her flesh from the sandstorms protected her well and she needed no other protection, unlike most races.

She was ending her fifth day when she found she had no food or water left. Admonishing herself at her lack of foresight Svindri immediately sat down and entered a trance before she could panic. Breathing slowly she began to meditate and spread her mind as far as she could, probing for life forms which felt emotion.

About a mile to her right a confused being suddenly popped into her awareness. The confusion gradually changed to disappointment. Svindri didn't wait for any more emotions but got up and shook herself off and forced herself to begin walking in the direction of the being, keeping an emotional tie to them so she could be sure she was walking in the right direction.

When she reached the being she was surprised to find a small building sitting on a dune haphazardly, as though someone had dropped it from space. Looking up Svindri saw nothing in the sky. 'Why would I?' She thought to herself in amusement at her own silliness.

After a moment of apprehension she realised that if she didn't approach this building she might die out in the wasteland. The thought of slowly dying of thirst did not appeal to her and she loped up to what she thought was a door and banged on it.

"Let me in! I'm very thirsty! Please?"

She looked a right fright, with skin made orange and hair disappeared because of the skin suit she'd had to put over them. Her legs bent at strange angles under the knee so she could use the least sore muscles for standing and she snorted often, her little orange nostril flaps flaring.

Anonymous:
Tetroneaque was pacing back and forth, trying to figure out what he should do.  The readouts indicated that the atmosphere was breathable... but only just.  It would likely kill him within hours if he simply went outside.  However, he had the prototype space suit he had been tinkering with still in his lab.  The reinforced exosuit.  He thanked his deity and whatever powers that be for it making the jump.  He had no doubt he could modify it a bit for his own use easily.

His food supplies and water though would only last a week tops, even though it was enough to feed a human family for three or four months easily.  Preliminary scans indicated no food or water sources within his scanners' effective radius, which meant he'd need to brave the outside world.  He was trying to think of the best way to lug all his supplies with him as he went exploring when his concentration was shattered by a very loud knocking on the metal blast doors to the outside.

He leaped toward his control console and forced the cameras to monitor that area.  Soon enough he saw a very strange creature on his screen.  It was orange and appeared totally hairless at first glance... and most disturbing of all was the complete lack of tails!

"What is that thing!?!"  He blurted out in horror, then taking a few calming breaths he thought things through a bit.

Ok, maybe this is simply one of the local inhabitants of this world.  I can't simply go judging them on looks alone... no matter how freakish they look.  This may be an excellent opportunity to try and communicate with an alien species.  But no need to take chances...  He thought to himself as he absently stroked one of his three large bushy tails.

He pressed a large button on his console, opening the blast door for the odd alien but keeping the next door closed.  It was an airlock of sorts, designed to decontaminate anyone and anything coming into his facility.  He waited for the alien to enter so that he might shut the blast door, give them a gentle spritzing of disinfectant, then admit them into the lab proper... under heavy scrutiny of his defense system though.  Small turrets came down from the ceiling, trained on the alien.

He activated the loud speaker system.

"Please come inside.  Don't try anything funny and no harm will come to you."  He said over the speakers then slapped a hand to his forehead as he realized the chances of the inhabitants of this planet speaking his language was slim to none.  In fact, his language sounded more like a series of barks, yips, and growls like a fox might make.

"You don't have an idea what I'm saying do you?"  He asked rhetorically, and then began pondering how he might communicate.  This had never occurred to him, as his home planet had a single, unified language.  Regardless, he left the main door open.

Anonymous:
As Svindri stood in front of the big door-like things she wondered what the person inside was like. She had no preconceptions on who would build such a weird little building and then dump it in the middle of Mars though she really didn't think the person would be fully sane.

While she was asking herself the possible reasons for the sudden burst of horror the big doors in front of her slid open. With only a twinge of apprehension she walked forward, looking around in curiousity at the unfamiliar place. She spun as the doors shut behind her quietly and then coughed as she was suddenly sprayed with disinfectant. Once she realised what it was she inhaled deeply and smiled as she tasted the tang of an effective and well-scented disinfectant.

She noticed as turrets came down from the ceiling and bristled at them but didn't make any movement, even though the doors in front of her (she'd turned back around) were open. She was listening as carefully as she could with her ears plastered against her head. It didn't work very well. She hadn't had to hear anything out in the Wastelands and it had added to the silence to have her hearing diminished until it was like a human's.

A voice started speaking and she strained to hear. The voice was unlike any living being she'd heard before and it was dulled by the skin suit. Frowning, wanting to hear more of the speech, she opened her mouth and stiffened her fingers to rip the suit from the sides of her mouth, as that was the easiest place to get. Quickly, shaking her head to help rip the suit she pulled it off her head, showing her blue skin and releasing her skinny mane of pale green hair and almost green fur-covered cat-like ears. They moved of their own accord, doing their best to catch all of the barking, yipping noise.

It was soon finished and she sighed. Leaving the top of the skin suit to hang down from her neck she walked into the main room, not really noticing her surroundings as she pondered the language. Her mouth and vocal muscles were already reforming as they molded themselves to the shapes she thought might make the sounds. Clearing her throat in a higher pitch than she normally had, she then tried to copy the sentence the being (whom she hadn't even looked at yet) had said.

"You don't have an idea what I'm saying do you?"

It came out with a few off notes and immediately Svindri shut her mouth and frowned, tweaking the positions of a few tiny muscles. It was nearly right...she tried again twice and the second time it came out pitch perfect. Svindri smiled, please with herself. She had no idea what she'd said but she'd said it right at least.

Now that she'd figured the mouth and vocal chord configuration necessary for the being's language she looked up to see what she was mimicking. Seeing its appearance she squawked and staggered backwards, nearly falling over a small metal object which beeped at her angrily. Pulling a face at it she moved forwards again and looked at the strange thing again. Purple! Well. That was new. Svindri glanced down at her own blue skin, covered and made orange by the skin suit, and giggled. It took all sorts. And it had a tail too. No, three of them! Didn't they get in the way? Maybe they were prehensile, like monkey's tails.

"Errr, hello," she said tentatively, wondering if she could even speak properly with the new vocal chord arrangement. She could feel them flexing in ways they didn't normally (which didn't mean much to a Bellinese) and her voice squeaked and she suspected if she tried to go low she'd be mute, but it worked.

"Do you understand me?"

Anonymous:
Tetroneaque was surprised to see that the alien wasn't really orange after all, but had some sort of skin hugging exosuit.  The blue skin was at least more close to what he thought of as normal, and the fur on her ears was a little more settling.  He still thought she looked funny, whatever she was... if she was indeed a she.  He thought she looked like a she anyway.

She made a noise that almost sounded like she was mimicking his last sentence.  His ears perked up at this.  She seemed to be preoccupied with something as she approached him, then she looked up at him and startled a bit.  He had to smile at that, apparently he looked as strange to her as she did to him.  She almost tripped over one of the tiny cleaning drones that scuttled about to keep the lab tidy, even in this new place.

He was about to hop down from the control area to try and communicate with her with hand signs or body language when she suddenly started to speak his language!

"Yes!  Yes I do understand you!"  He cried with glee as he bounded down the few steps to stand in front of her.  He didn't seem to be quite so cautious anymore.  The small turrets in the ceiling slid back up into their hiding places.  

She looked even more odd up close, and she was taller than him.  He didn't seem to mind though and was smiling.

"So you can speak my language, where did you learn it from?"  He asked, curiously.

"Oh but I'm being rude!  Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Tetroneaque Swiftpaw Tailchaser.  Would you like some refreshments first?"  He asked.  He idly wondered if she would be able to eat and drink the same items as he, and vice versa.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version