Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Art Usage Policy!  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Tally

Art Usage Policy!
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:02:46 pm »
Update: Images that violate our art policy will now be removed from profiles without warning.

You are totally free to use whatever means you like to visually represent your character, whether you choose to do so with a photograph of a model/actor or through art, whether your own or someone else's.

However, especially if you are using pictures that are not your own, please make sure to credit them (with their name and a link to the original source)—and be sure to read each artist/photographer's usage policy to be sure that you are even allowed to use their pictures, first. *New* We do suggest that you cite your own work as well so that we don't accidentally take it down.

You're free to use art from official, corporate sources (published anime, video games, movies, TCGs, etc.) as well as photos of celebrities without crediting the specific artist/photographer so long as you name the source (the title of the movie, TV show, game, etc.).  Apart from these sources, please either credit or do not use the image. If you're unsure as to whether something is or is not an official source, we'll err on the side of caution and disallow the image.

*New* You're also more than welcome to edit other artist's artwork provided that you obtain their permission to do so first.

Furthermore, if you can't find the artist of an original piece (for instance, say you found the image on photobucket or pinterest), you can always check it here: TinEye

If it is an image that has been commissioned (and you're not the owner of the original commissioned character) then we're going to disallow the image. The person who commissioned it paid good money for that character image, so it's safe to assume they wouldn't want someone else using it.

If an image has nudity in it, please place it under a spoiler tag with a warning, as some people browse from work and school.
Code: [Select]
[spoiler][img=http://ImageLinkGoesHere.com][/spoiler]
Thank you!

F.A.Q

Are there any exceptions to crediting artwork?
Yes. If the art is very obviously from a corporate art source (like Disney, or an anime series), we require only that you name the source, not the individual artist/photographer.  Also, if you commissioned the piece yourself, there is no need to cite attribution.  These are the only two exceptions.

Their name is on the picture. Do I still have to credit?
Yep. Even if their name and url are on the picture, we still require written credit.

I can't find the artist and this picture is perfect!
No artist, no credit, no picture. Sorry! But there's tons of artists out there who you CAN credit. Go check their art. (Try DeviantArt.)  Or visit The Studio and see if you can find an artist to draw a picture for you. We even have a Commissionable Artists Directory. Or commission an artist elsewhere. Or draw the picture yourself. Or visit Portrait Adoption and buy a portrait there!

I found the art on Pinterest/Google Image Search/etc and have the artist's name! Is that good enough?
Pinterest and Google image searches do not count as a source for the image. You must link to the image's original source. Generally, googling the image or the artist's name will lead you to the image's original source (such as the artist's website, Deviantart, tumblr, or other social media).

So if I credit I can use any picture I want, right?
Not quite! Some artists disallow their work to be redistributed even if credit is given. This is their right as the copyright holder, and we will honor their decision.

Well, I'm still searching for the original artist...
Great! Take the picture down until you can find them. Then you can put it up. (:

Can I edit/recolor an artist's image?
Do you have their permission to do so? Then yes! If not? Then no! You can gain permission one of two ways:
1.) Contact them and ask them personally. If they say yes, then you can! If they say no, then don't do it!
2.) Read their artist FAQs if they have any! If they say in their FAQ that their images are available to be edited, then go for it! If they don't have a FAQ or they say they cannot be edited, or they say nothing about the subject at all, then assume that is a no and either don't do it, or contact the artist directly. Then refer back to point #1.

I'm still waiting for permission/haven't heard from the artist about editing their work, can I just put up the edited version while I wait?
Nope! No answer from an artist is considered a "no" until they say otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:10:56 am by GoblinFae »

Offline GoblinFae

Re: Art Usage Policy!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12:33 am »
Here is a sample of how to properly source your image!

Art by Ikimaru

The breakdown:
I not only credited the artist by name, but I also linked to the original image on the artist's page.

Going onto Ikimaru's tumblr, I see that in her links list she has a FAQ. In reading the FAQ, I notice she has an informational link about using her art listed at the top, which states what she is and isn't okay with. She even lists what kinds of edits she is and isn't okay with!

When available, always read artist FAQs, and when unclear, send a message to the artist to clarify any questions you may have.

If you don't get an answer, assume the answer is no.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal