Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Another Day [Lion]  (Read 801 times)

Offline Bunbun

Another Day [Lion]
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:10:16 pm »
Honestly, Lorraine really hated the whole 'celebrity' aspect of being a Pilot sometimes. It was damn near impossible to step foot out in public without seeing your face plastered everywhere. Then, of course, there was the fact that you were almost bound to be recognized by somebody, and eventually you ended up surrounded by a bunch of idiots staring at you and asking you to sign things. The best way she'd found to deal with this was simply to keep walking and pretend everyone else didn't exist, but that was rather difficult to do in this particular scenario. She was supposed to be meeting Grisham at this stupid restaurant, but he sure seemed to be taking his sweet time.

Thankfully, she was one of the lesser known Pilots, at least to the public eye. That was partly to do with her not being too highly ranked, but mostly because she simply didn't show up in public very often. It made the whole experience slightly less agonizing for her, but of course there were still a few people who recognized her. Her signature pout was enough to deter most people from approaching, but occasionally some little kid who didn't know any better would give her a big doofy smile before their parents hurriedly dragged them along.

Gods. What on earth was the point of her coming out here, again? To relieve stress, apparently? Yeah, right. How the hell was she supposed to be relaxed when she knew very well that the asshole responsible for injuring Pilot Echo Rook was still out there somewhere? For all she knew, they had already come across their next victim, and here she was just standing around doing nothing. To be fair, it wasn't like she could do anything at this point without any orders, and considering what happened to Cinnamon, she probably wasn't going to be getting those any time soon. That didn't really make her feel any better about it, though.

It didn't help that Grisham had yet to show up, either. Lorraine checked her com for what must have been the hundredth time to make sure she had the details correct- correct time, yes, correct time, yep- and yet the Pilot Royal was nowhere to be seen. From what she'd seen and heard, the guy was definitely a bit odd, but it wasn't until now that she'd begun to suspect that he might just be screwing with her. Maybe he didn't actually have any intention of showing up, and she was just wasting her time by waiting around for him... or maybe she was just being paranoid.

At any rate, she was probably going to go insane if she heard one more "thank you for your service" from another random civilian. At this point, she wanted nothing more than to go back to her apartment and just play with Reyn or something, but... maybe she would wait just five more minutes. Five more minutes, just in case Grisham did decide to show. Because she really didn't want to have come all the way out here for no reason.

Offline Lion

Re: Another Day [Lion]
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:10 am »
As far as he could indicate, Haviah was just not his jam. There was a reason Grisham stayed in Adstreia, but not only was it his home city, but it had just about everything that Haviah had and he didn't have to go far to get anything he was itching for. But he supposed that it helped to get out once in a while. The occasional trip to psych at DoSaM certainly recommended that he get out and ugh, what was that phrase?

Make friends.

He was content to smoke himself to death. Those Roanoa cigars simply weren't gonna smoke themselves. Grisham narrowed his eyes, scowling in thought as he rode that rail, hanging on a handlebar as an old lady brushed passed him. She coughed on the cigar he was chewing on, puffing up that railcar like he owned it, and she glowered at him.

"All chewed up, nice and juicy for ya," Grisham grumbled, and offered the moist end to her. "No? Okay, I'll be here if you need me."

Lorraine was waiting for him. A moment to get away, get some food, some real damn good, and catch a few flicks. Or just one flick. He didn't know how that was going to go down, but it was worth a shot. Or was either that or undergo another prescribed dose of Emphirazapram. That shit was awful and made him dizzy for days.

He'd rather talk to be people than be doped up on pharmaceuticals. He only reserved those for the painkillers in the the remnants of his right arm.

He knew the place. A bar off the junction, not far from a small music store and a pasta shop. Did Lorraine drink? Oh well, if she didn't she would soon.  He waltzed on in and ignored the gasps and giggles of those walking on by. He was a Pilot Royal, there was no avoiding it, but he learned to just shut it out along with the rest of the bullshit.

"Lorri, I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long did I? I'm a real ripe rat bastard, so I hope you know that now."  Grisham chewed on that cigar, sucking in on one end and igniting it, the soft glow lighting up the harsh edges of his face.

Offline Bunbun

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:32 pm »
Grisham finally showing up was both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it meant that she didn't have to stand around waiting like an idiot anymore, but on the other hand, he was definitely a lot more well-known than Lorraine was. If her presence alone wasn't enough to attract the attention of onlookers, then another Pilot showing up- and a rather popular one at that- was definitely going to turn a few heads. She could already tell that people were going to start blowing this thing out of proportion, because apparently there was no such thing as two people just hanging out and spending time together. People liked to dream, she supposed.

Lorraine usually wore sunglasses out in public in order to make herself seem less approachable, but she removed them and tucked them away when she saw Grisham approaching, revealing the ever-shifting purple eyes that not many people got the chance to see in person. He was someone that she actually planned on interacting with, after all, so it made little sense to wear them around him.

"Hey, Grisham. I've been waiting for a little while, but it probably seemed longer than it actually was. People don't know how to mind their own business, apparently. But whatever, you're here now, so we might as well get started. Grab some food first, right? I'm pretty sure that's what the plan was."

She nodded towards a nearby booth, taking a seat in it and waiting for Grisham to do the same. For a little while she just stared at him, taking note of the cigar in his mouth. That was one of the things that she'd learned about him from the chat, or at least one of the more believable things. That Grisham smoked. A lot. A lot more than what was healthy, anyways.

"You weren't lying about the whole smoking thing, huh? I'll be honest, I can't really see the appeal behind it. It must taste terrible."

Offline Lion

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:22 am »
"It's a blessing and a curse, dearest Pilot Estrada. You can't buy a gallon of milk without someone harassing you for an autograph but then again it's always nice to see the munchkins get excited and I try not to be an asshole for them just doing what their hearts tell them to do. As long as they're not trying to steal my underwear I'd say we're square."  It was an amusing thought to say the least.

Grisham didn't let it bother him. There were plenty of other things for that. And for now they had to get drinks and hoagies or melts, or whatever kind of food Lorraine liked. What kind of food did she like? For now it seemed just like she was surviving solely on trying not to implode from all the public attention.

He tilted his head, narrowed his eyes and glanced directly into her purples. A small shiver and he chewed at the end of his cigar. "Yes. Food. I don't even know what movie we're seeing. No matter. We'll figure it out when we get there," he mumbled and winked at her. A stray hand to brush back the crazed locks from his head. He probably should have opted for tying it back, following her to the booth and assuming the seat opposite her.

"Nope. I smoke. I've smoked since well...fuck if I remember. Wanna try it? This stogie is a St. Millar. Tastes like cherry. Not overly sweet, but has a nice touch at the end of it. Give it a shot," he murmured and cleaned off the end of the cigar for her. "You don't know unless you try it."

Offline Bunbun

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:00:42 pm »
"Well, it's more of a curse than a blessing, if you ask me. I never really thought it was asshole-ish to get annoyed with someone if they're bothering you, especially when you're making it pretty clear that you don't want to deal with them. But maybe I'm just weird." It was no secret that Lorraine's personality tended to clash with Aedolian culture as a whole, so it wasn't necessarily incorrect to stick that label on her. Then again, being around people could literally give her headaches, but that was another issue entirely.

When Grisham offered the cigar to her, her reaction made it fairly clearly that she wasn't in any rush to try it... although that was probably obvious from the start. Even when she finally did take it from him, the way she inspected it and held it at a distance made it seem like she was examining some sort of alien artifact- and to her, she might as well have been.

She got the feeling that Grisham wasn't going to leave it alone until she'd tried it at least once, though, so it would probably be easiest to just get it over with. Just kinda... bite down on that end and inhale the smoke, right? Right. Hopefully. Except that she only felt more uncomfortable when she put the damn thing in her mouth, and breathing in the smoke just felt terrible. She removed the cigar almost immediately after she'd put it in, and coughed into her elbow a couple times before handing it back to Grisham.

"...yeah, I don't think I'm going to start smoking any time soon. I don't really get what you guys see in it. I guess it does taste kinda like cherry though. Y'know. For whatever that's worth."

She waited for him to take his torture device back, then allowed her hands to rest on the table. She could really use some food now, or at least something to wash the taste out of her mouth.

"So. Food. I was thinking something that's quick and simple, so it won't take us too long to eat. Maybe burgers, if that's alright."

Offline Lion

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »
Lewis might have been his middle name, but Stubborn was damned well a close second. Pfft, that's what comrades could call it if that's what they wanted. To Grisham damn sheer persistence was what he preferred. And in this case...it wasn't even like he would have gotten mad if Lorraine refused. She looked like she could use something to help her take the edge off. Grisham was merely offering something that helped him relax on occasion.

Or twenty.

He didn't really keep track how many smokes he went through, or how much dandylion. He just knew when he was out and when it was a good time to go and pick up more. Keeping them in stock with his handy electric lighter was key. That and his boot flask, but that was for emergencies only.  Grisham just looked between her and the cigar, waited and tried not to laugh.

Because fuck if her expression wasn't just absolutely priceless.

"Burgers sounds good. They have a mean bacon burger here," he snorted, taking the cigar back and resting it on the edge of an ashtray where it was hooked into the table. It had been recently cleaned out, and upon better decision, he decided to put it out and then stashed the rest of the cigar into a case in his pocket. It was probably better to save it for later anyway.

"Don't rush, Lorraine. Where would you be off to in such a hurry anyway? Got another group of friends your holding back to spend time with little ol' me?" he teased.  He was playing of course, but he wouldn't blame her for blowing him off to go hang around other people that were far more interesting. Then again, she had a hard enough time accepting this social invitation.

Hmm, but what did he know. It wasn't like he was desperate for companionship or anything.

The waiter came around and they ordered, the menus came and went as did as set of drinks. "Oh, just coffee, please," Grisham murmured and thanked the server. He slipped a small metal case from his leg under the table and rolled the cap off, dobbing off a shot of brandy into the coffee.  Just a shot before putting it back. "So what kind of movies do you like Lorraine? This'll give me a better idea of what we can get into. I'm fine with whatever, I'm not a picky man."

Offline Bunbun

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:26 pm »
Grisham might not have burst out laughing, but Lorraine could pretty easily tell from his face and the circumstances that he wasn't too far off from doing so. Then again, it wasn't like she would have blamed him too much if he'd been unable to hold it in. Recently, she'd begun to realize that she was a bit of an easy target to make fun of, which probably wasn't something that was going to change any time soon. Still, she appreciated the sentiment behind holding back the laughter- at least he was trying, right?

"Nope, I don't have any other plans for tonight... not that I usually make too many plans to meet with people in the first place. I'm just not really used to this kind of thing. Feels a little strange." Which was partly true, but of course there were other reasons why she didn't really want to stick around in public for too long. For one, she really hated the way that people would sometimes just stop and... stare. That, and the more people that gathered here, the more heartbeats there were going to be. It wasn't too bad at the moment, but it was going to get worse, in all likelihood.

Lorraine lingered a little while on the menu when it arrived. Were they getting drinks? Like... alcohol? It seemed like the type of thing that Grisham would want to do, but he opted for coffee instead, which came as a bit of a surprise to her. She simply ordered some water herself; she could always get something else later if she wanted, and plus, well, she kind of needed some water right about now.

She frowned a bit as Grisham poured a bit of whatever-it-was into his coffee- somehow she doubted it could taste very good, if the cigar had been any indication- before turning her attention to her own glass. Then, over the span of a few seconds, she pulled out a small medication bottle from her pocket, removed a small tablet from it, slipped the tablet into her mouth, and swiftly downed it with a gulp of water. It was a motion that seemed almost practiced, and clearly she'd been doing it for quite some time. Hopefully it would help with the headaches later on, but part of her hated that she had to rely on it at all.

"What kind of movies? I don't know if I really have a favourite. That would require me to actually go to movies, which doesn't happen very often. If that wasn't obvious. If I had to pick one, though... action, maybe? I mean, I think it's interesting to see how people fantasize over that kind of stuff when you compare it to the real thing. You'd probably know more about that than I do, though."

Offline Lion

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »
"Know about action? Yeah. But comparing the real thing to a made up encounter on screen is kinda pointless. The point though is to be entertained. So overthinking it really does end up killing the mood don't ya think Lorrie?" he muttered and eyed the bottle she'd taken out and bothered to down. Eugh, pills. That was ripe enough to make his stomach queasy and kill his appetite.

"What is that? What is that thing you shoved between your teeth and thought I didn't notice?" he asked with a twist of his face. He took a small sip of his coffee with brandy poured into it and when the waitress came back to take their orders, he made a quick suggestion for burgers and dismissed her with a thank you.

"You have a problem that maybe I should know about?"

Offline Bunbun

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »
Oh, that was just fantastic. Of course he had to go ahead and ask that, because apparently it wasn't enough that she needed to take the damned things in the first place- no, she *also* had to deal with someone making a bigger deal out of it than it already was. Letting out a sigh, Lorraine pulled the bottle back out and set it on the table, allowing Grisham to inspect it so he could be sure that she wasn't trying to hide anything.

"My psionics aren't always useful, Grisham. As far as I know, there's no way to shut them off, and it can get pretty damn irritating to have a bunch of people's pulses beating in your head all the time. These help to dampen the psionics whenever I don't need to use them. I only took one of those because I didn't want to deal with a massive headache for the rest of the day. So, no, it's not a "problem". Not one that has a simple solution, anyway."

She decided not to tell him that she'd been relying on the medication a little more than usual recently- that would only make him question her even more. Instead, she grabbed the bottle back from the table, returning it to her pocket. Afterwards, she crossed her arms and gave him a sort of accusatory gaze.

"What did you think it was, anyway? Do you just automatically assume the worst whenever you see someone take a pill?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal