Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Nascence (zozee9)  (Read 2899 times)

Rastul

Nascence (zozee9)
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:28:13 am »
The room was a rather large white cube. It was geometrically perfect in all aspects, large enough for the comfortable occupancy of one humanoid creature. The edges of the cube and the corners were rounded off, but besides that the walls were smooth and devoid of any marks. Although the cube was white, it did not blind or hurt the eyes; the brilliance was muted, almost with a greyish tinge.

The subject was wearing white robes. They did not look cheap, and sat on his figure with the suppleness of well woven silk. The smoke lazily drifted upwards from the glowing orange embers of a cigarette perched in his mouth. As the curls of burnt tobacco encountered the ceiling, they disappeared with nearly inaudible hisses of static. The same thing happened for the ashes that occasionally dripped from the end of the cigarette. He sat on a white cylindrical stool, slightly stooped over, elbow knee, chin cupped in hand.

With the other free hand, he brushed one of the walls. A black line from the middle of the ceiling ledge descended to about a third of the wall and split horizontally into two lines, tracing the outline of a window. Once the rectangle was traced, the black lines disappeared, and the white wall along with it, revealing slowly a view into the vast outer space. The lights in the room seemed to dim to compensate. He pulled the stool over to the window, and placed both of his arms on the sill, resting his head in the cradled formed. In this way he stared out of the window.

Some time passed.

A confused look flickered across his face. Why was he here again?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

zozee9

Re: Nascence (zozee9)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
The girl knew she couldn't mess this up. If she messed up, her life would be over. Perhaps literally. She would either be killed or sentenced to life in this science facility. No, she couldn't mess this up. She had to complete her job exactly how they told her to.

Getting her fingerprint scanned before she entered the white room, Devicia knew that her superiors would be watching from afar. They'd be watching her every move, making sure she qualified for the job. And since she had such a unique ability... there was probably nothing they wanted more than to make her another subject. But they also knew she could be useful to them. She had to prove that she would be useful to them.

As a hole opened up in the wall, Devicia walked in. The second she got in, the hole closed. Her attention was immediately brought to the man leaning against the window. Seeing him in the almost totally white room was not hard. With his dark skin and light hair, it wouldn't be hard to notice him anywhere. Devicia's eyes flickered to the window before deciding it didn't matter. If it mattered, someone would've taken care of it already.

Breath in, breath out, Devicia thought. Calm down. Looking at the man, Devicia calmed her thoughts and started with the basics. "AAAAAAAA1? My name is Devicia. I'm your therapist."

Rastul

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »
AAAAAAAA1 started upon hearing another voice, and turned from the window to gaze, glassy eyed, at the newcomer. The twisting motion of his head caused the cigarette to dislodge from his lips, and it fell to the floor, disintegrating with a hiss of blue sparks. He gave a halting smile that soon spread into a genuine grin, spinning on his stool round and round.

"AA .. A .. A1? I suppose my name is A1, huh?"

Bits and pieces of memory came to him as he spun (and he soon was starting to feel dizzy, so he stopped). He dug through the pockets of his silken pants in sudden inspiration. Nothing. The tabs were gone. Flashback: gout of flame bursting from the palm of his hand, an orderly going up in flames .. did he do that on purpose, or was that just because he wanted to flex his hands? Was he or was he not strapped to a bed?

He shook his head and raised his hand to rub the side of his neck. Although it looked like a habitual gesture, he was checking the status of the port on the side of his neck. Empty.

"I seem to have forgotten my real name, Ms. Devicia." Mischevious grin.

"What do I need therapy for?"

zozee9

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »
The man seemed crazy. Then again, he was trapped in a totally white room with nothing to do all day. Noticing there wasn't another stool, Devicia asked, "Can someone bring a stool in here?" She knew someone would hear her.

Then, turning to the man, Devicia stated, "Your name is AAAAAAAA1. That is all you need to know." Having to come off as other TRIM scientists did, Devicia attempted to keep her stare cold. Even though it was her mission to rescue these people, Devicia knew they were all ridiculously strong. And no one told her what this guy could do.

As the wall opened behind her, Devicia almost jumped. Turning around, she grabbed the stool from the man in black before setting it down in front of her patient. Sincerely not knowing the answer, Devicia simply answered, "You tell me. Has anything been bugging you lately? Emotional troubles? It's my job to help you sort things out."

Rastul

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »
He scratched the back of his neck again. Itchy. Maybe. Force of habit, probably. Still nothing. No tab.

"If my name is A1 .. " A1 frowned.

"Then I must be forgetting things. I'm sure I must have a name, right?"

"What else have I been forgetting?" He turned around to stare absent-mindedly out the window.

zozee9

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:53:47 pm »
How am I supposed to help someone who keeps zoning out? thought Devicia. Stay calm. All they want is his brain's reaction to different things. They don't care if I actually help him.

Giving up on the name, Devicia asked, "A1, since you seem to be unfocused, lets start with simple questions. Explain to me what your everyday life is like here at TRIM. Try to be as detailed as possible."

By asking this, Devicia figured, she'd have somewhere to start from, she could get results for the scientists, and she could understand more about the place she was going to be working at for a while.

Rastul

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »
A1 seemed to be floored by this question. He turned his full attention back to her, his eyes widened in some ridiculous caricature of shock. If he had a cigarette in his mouth, it would have fallen into the ground, again. Come to think of it, where did he get it from .. ? He spent the next few minutes digging in his pockets before he remembered that she had asked a question.

"I can only remember everything up until this morning." His tone was serious.

"I woke up, ate the food that popped up through my seat," and here he pointed at his seat for emphasis, "then spent a little while looking out the window. Don't you have any recordings or diaries about me?" He seemed to know he was in some sort of psychiatric facility, at least.

zozee9

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »
What did the scientists do to him? Devicia thought. Did they wipe his memory away everyday? Or was last night a special occasion?

Sighing, Devicia decided to really do her job. "Concentrate. Is there anything you remember? Family, history, special abilities?" Devicia threw that last one in there so she could satisfy her curiosity. "Maybe where you were born or how old you are? Anything at all? They have recordings of you, but I'm not supposed to tell you anything." Or at least she was guessing she wasn't. She didn't know anything, anyway. "You're supposed to remember it yourself. Concentrate as hard as you can." Maybe concentration would create interesting brain waves for the scientists. She didn't really have anything else to work off of.

Rastul

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:58:09 pm »
"NNnnnn...."

Syl screwed his eyes shut, placing his fingers on his temples.

"I .. nnn.. I don't think this is helping ..." He peeked at her out of one barely opened eye. "How does one even focus hard?"

Urp. He retched and coughed out a chip into the palm of his hand. It was a small black square, with a smaller rectangle attached on one end to serve as a tab, a blue outline tracing the entire object. Brightening, he held it up for her to examine, spit and all.

"Hey, I think you're right!"

zozee9

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:16 pm »
Surprised and disgusted, Devica leaned away and asked, "Right about what?"

Getting a closer look (but still being far) at the chip, it seemed that TRIM had put it in him somehow. Unless this guy normally kept chips up his throat. Trying to imprint it in her memory for future studying, Devicia stared at the chip. Even with the spit dripping down from it. The spit disappeared when it touched the ground, anyway.

Starting to understand what he had said, Devicia exclaimed, "Wait... Do you remember your past now?" Heavens say he did. She wanted to get her job done and get away from this wierdo. But what if he wasn't supposed to remember his past? Silently cursing, Devicia decided to wait to hear his response before doing anything rash.

Rastul

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »
Syl stared at the chip in his hand, engrossed by it.

"... Hm?"

He glanced up. "I don't think so." With the other hand, he was rubbing a patch of skin behind his right ear. Exposed circuity and a receptacle was there, and the skin around it was a little red. A procedure had been recently performed, it seemed. He scratched at the plug. Itchy.

"Why are you so interested in my past?" Syl looked at her suspiciously. "Is there anything good about the past? What can you tell me about me from my past?"

zozee9

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:45:52 am »
This man was confusing Devicia. If he didn't remember his past, what was she right about? She never mentioned anything about a chip...

Knowing that he didn't remember his past, Devicia calmed down. "I'm your therapist. Since you don't know much about your present being or your future, it would be easiest to start with your past. That is the only reason I've been questioning you on it. However, since you don't remember, I suppose that won't work."

Not knowing what to do next, Devicia just sat there. She would let him take the first move this time.

Rastul

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:01 am »
A1 tossed the chip up and down. He was not exactly sure what to say either. When he woke up this morning, he had the peculiar sensation of white static in his memory. Normally (normally?) when one tried to look back, they would only get a feel of 'can't remember'. But he could remember things. Large patches of his mind's eye were covered in white noise, hallucinations both visual and auditory.

After thinking for a while, he brightened.

"One thing I know is that I'm certainly not allowed to have this!" He patted his pants pockets. "Otherwise I'd have a lot more down here."

zozee9

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »
His logic made no sense to Devicia. Why would he have them in his pockets if he was supposed to have them? Shaking her head, Devicia was truly lost.

Looking around the room, Devicia searched for a camera. None. Of course not. The technology was too good for visible cameras. In the end, Devicia looked at the top right corner and said, "Have I passed yet? Or can I at least come out and ask you guys some questions?" She hoped she had passed. Devicia wanted to leave this room and this man for as long as possible. Or at least get some answers. She had no idea what she was dealing with.

As the wall opened into a door behind her, Devicia quickly looked at A1 and said, "I will most likely be back. Either in a couple of minutes or tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed your therapy session." Stepping outside of the white room, Devicia sighed. Looking at the person who let her in, she merely said, "So?" When he gave her a slight nod, Devicia assumed she passed. Asking one last question to him, Devicia said, "Will I be back tomorrow?" Another nod.

Rastul

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:54 pm »
A1 watched her depart. Her brief presence and absence was much like the others he remembered in his life. Except .. except she had stayed long enough for him to remember her departure. Prior to this, his memory was written in short, unrelated chapters - faces, events, (screaming) punctuated by white static and noise that separated each event of his life.

He looked down at the solitary chip clutched in his hand. Don't use it. That's what he felt. He felt very strongly that he was not supposed to use it. Yet.

Smiling, he popped the chip back into his mouth and swallowed, then turned to resume looking at outer space.

zozee9

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:19:49 am »
It was only the second day since Devicia started came to TRIM, and the pressure was already starting to disappear. She knew that after today, they'd do anything to keep her. After all, today was the day that they'd be able to see her ability in action. After she passed the test, the scientists briefly explained Syl's situation to her so she'd be able to give better therapy. They said that he was a miracle—managed to live after having intense surgery. So now they wanted to observe his brain waves more and figure out not only all that he could do, but also how to make more like him. Psionics.

Today, she was going to be their subject. Even though they didn't say that, Devicia knew it was true. She was supposed to help him with telepathy. They wanted to see if he could use it to fight. With a knife. They were seeing if Devicia was actually telling the truth about her regenerative abilities. And rather than test it out with a scratch, they wanted Syl to basically murder her. Assuming he could actually fight with the knife. Good thing I'm used to knife fights and pain by now... thought Devicia before scanning her finger.

The door opened and Devicia felt her pocket for her knife. They said she could use it to deflect attacks from her fatal spots. Great. This was gonna be one painful day.

Rastul

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:30 pm »
A1 brightened upon her entry.

"Oh hey there!" He waved from his position at the window sill, a bit of a silly gesture because the room was certainly not big enough for him to use such exaggerated gestures to grab her attention. He seemed to be in the exact same state as she had left him yesterday, which was not too surprising as he didn't really have any new experiences since then.

zozee9

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 04:43:15 pm »
Why was this guy so enthusiastic? thought Devicia. I'm the one about to be hurt and I feel bad for him... Well, now that I'm in the clear I can finally take advantage of this opportunity. No need to play the emotionless scientist—I'll get my job done and prove that they need me. They shouldn't complain about me not following exact orders then.

Smiling, Devicia finally let down some of her shield. Walking towards the window, she was actually kind of glad they hadn't filled it in. Although she asked them to keep it, Devicia doubted they would. But it made the room less scary for her and probably helped with Syl's sanity.

Looking out at the stars, Devicia commented, "It's beautiful. Do you know any of the star's names?"

Rastul

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »
A1 was unaware of the intended agenda, it seemed.

"It's nice, isn't it?" He grinned at her and looked out the window. Her question produced a long silence, brooding, pensive. His eyes frantically scanned over the multitude of stars, but he found, no matter how hard he tried, that his memory was fragmented. That star was called Asr -- y. This one ----ide. Perhaps ...

A1's finger tapped out a tuneless beat on the sill, impatient radiating outwards from his body.

"Hey ... " He turned to look at her, despondent. "This isn't normal, right?"

zozee9

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:04 am »
Still gazing at the stars, Devicia could tell Syl wanted to do something. She didn't blame him; he had been looking at the stars all day. Syl must know that she wasn't there to keep him company, either. Just when she was about to say something, Syl talked.

Confused, Devicia responded, "What isn't normal?" There were many things not normal in his life. The fact that he had to stay in an almost completely white room. The fact that he was a scientifically created psionic. The fact that he was a subject and had no say over what happens to him. But Devicia got the feeling that he was probably talking about something in specific.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal