Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Bensis Mechanical Repair [closed]  (Read 2219 times)

Jenny

Re: Bensis Mechanical Repair [OPEN]
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »
Jaxon waited patiently for a reply, naturally understanding if Toori had a reluctance to speak about his past. If anyone understood having problems with their past, it was Jax. His past was his problem. Even if Toori ultimately told him he didn't want to speak about it, Jaxon thought, that would be okay. He had only brought it up for the sake of conversation. After all, most people seemed to like talking about themselves. Yet, leave it to fate to pair up the two people in the world who disliked personal conversations and had the strangest concept of socializing.

He did finally have his question answered, but the response was rather vague. The Frontier? That was interesting, Jaxon hadn't met many people from the outskirts of Tynova. "When I was younger, I think.. I wanted to live in the Frontier," he commented. Jaxon did remember that. It had something to do with all the people in Tynova. All the people looking at him, hating him... He paused. Jaxon had a strange feeling that if he pushed the thought, pursued that memory, that he could remember something. But some sick part of him didn't want to remember. He wanted to push away what had happened for as long as possible. He'd forgotten it for a reason..

Having said what he did, he suddenly realized his mistake. 'I think'. Normally, a person wouldn't have to guess about themselves. Sighing, he figured he might as well put it out there. "Before you ask, I lost my memory," he shrugged. "Three years ago." Pausing, he laughed as something occurred to him. "I guess that would explain why I act like a three year old most of the time."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

chelle

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 09:15:17 pm »
Toori looked over in surprise when Fang spoke, not asking why Toori left the Frontier when most people who moved there never came back, but offering something about himself. Toori realized that was the first information Fang had revealed, and it seemed to raise more questions that it answered. He opened his mouth to ask why Fang only thought, didn't know, but then he saw the look on Fang's face and hesitated. All afternoon Toori had seen him make lots of expressions that ran the gamut from pleased to teasing to kind to annoyed, but now Fang looked almost haunted. The difference was almost shocking, and Toori realized it looked so strange because this was real, it wasn't a deflection or a joke, it was real emotion, and Toori was entranced.

Then Fang sighed, his expression returning to its more relaxed state, though there was obvious tension around his eyes. Toori blinked when Fang admitted to losing his memory. Then he frowned, wondering if that was lie, but only for a moment because Fang looked so resigned. He wasn't asking Toori to believe him, he was just clearing up a mess that he had obviously dealt with before. Toori looked at him closely for a moment, and then looked away.

"I see," he thought for a moment, and then turned back towards Fang, "You lost your memory, but you know you lived here?" Toori couldn't help but think of his own slight memory loss, he knew he'd lived on the Frontier, he knew what his parents looked like, but could only barely recall the years he'd spent living there.

Jenny

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »
Jaxon wasn't aware of how straightforward and open he was being, and if he had caught onto it, it would have struck him as very strange. But there was something about the sudden warmth he felt from Toori, the sincerity in his gaze and question, that made him not think before he spoke. "That's right," he confirmed softly, rubbing his face with frustration. He wasn't accustomed to speaking about this. "I remember a bit about my childhood and such. There's just these, these massive holes in my memory-- three years I can't account for whatsoever, not even a sliver of a--" he paused suddenly when he realized what he was doing. He was.. talking about himself, like it was normal. Jaxon had always felt distinctly uncomfortable speaking about himself, but in this case it was strange. Toori didn't feel like just some person- some person who would judge him or force their ideas on him or probe and push to get answers. He just felt like somebody Jaxon could trust. And that scared him, perhaps more than his being open.

He shook his head suddenly. "Forget it," he corrected, though he had done some irreparable damage right there. Thankfully for Jaxon, they were only a few steps from the repairs shop. As they came to the front of the store, he stopped in his tracks, crossing his arms. His guard was back up, and much more than before. "I'll wait out here," he muttered, looking away from Toori. He couldn't comprehend why he was acting this way.

chelle

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 09:50:32 pm »
Toori listened quietly to Fang speak, watching him carefully, almost clinically, because he was suddenly acting so different. It was fascinating, to say the least, and hearing this information about Fang felt almost like a gift, like it meant something, but Toori couldn't say what.

Then Fang shut down completely, looking agitated and annoyed, and this was almost more fascinating than the personal information. Almost. Toori watched Fang cross his arms over chest, saw the tension in his shoulders and realized he had absolutely no idea what to do in this situation. Fang was obviously upset by his lack of memory, which Toori couldn't blame him for, but Toori couldn't fathom comforting Fang. Should he give him a hug? That seemed like the worst possible idea, not to mention Toori had no idea how he would go about instigating such a thing.

He nodded slowly and turned to unlock the door of the repair shop, but hesitated with his hand on the doorknob. Maybe he couldn't comfort Fang, but he could give him a gift in return.

"When I was six," he started, looking down at the doorknob and not over at Fang, "My parents' farm was raided by bandits. They murdered my parents, and burned the fields and the house. They spared me." Toori paused, thinking about his grandfather's ghost-white face on the day he came to Tynova, remembered asking where his father was, "I don't remember it. Just-- bits and pieces. Nothing important. I dream about it sometimes." Toori fell silent, his fingers tensing on the doorknob, half turning to look at Fang but changing his mind and opening the door without looking anywhere but his own feet.

The shop was still empty, and Toori was thankful for it, feeling like he needed a moment alone to pull himself together. Maybe Fang needed that moment, too. Toori put the tools back and updated the forms in the main computer, and then clocked out. The whole thing didn't take long, and maybe three or four minutes after he'd left he stepped back out onto the street, locking the door behind him.

Jenny

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »
In a peculiar way, it put him at ease when Toori's only reply to the sudden change was a slow nod- it was confirmation that Jaxon's feelings about Toori, even if they were unwelcome, were right. The boy really wasn't just another person; he wasn't pushing or pulling, questioning the abrupt stop or even the vagueness. He took what he was given in such a gracious and kind way, as though he understood Jax's reservations about discussing himself and his shadowy past.

Then Toori paused. Jaxon lifted his gaze, fixing his eyes on the blond's hand which was frozen on the doorknob of the shop. Suddenly he began to speak, his tone so serious it was almost startling. And his words... Jaxon hadn't expected it at all. Toori's words made Jaxon's heart ache, both out of pity and sadness, as well as his own association. The story reminding him immediately of his memory of his mother's suicide and what he had felt that day. Though he often came off as cold, Jaxon was more than capable of compassion, and in that moment especially, he felt so much it was nearly overwhelming.

For the first time in ages, Jaxon struggled for the right words. But before he could say anything, Toori disappeared into the store. A closed door ahead of him, Jaxon breathed a heavy exhale. What he had just shared and been told felt like a weight resting on his shoulders, heavy and permanent. Yet it was not necessarily a negative... It was the first time someone had actually...trusted him. And that was a big surprise.

When Toori exited the door again, he didn't speak, simply turned his attention to locking the door. In some wild act of kindness, some inexplicable rush of warmth and familiarity, Jaxon placed his hand over Toori's which rested on the door knob. "Thank you," he said quietly, adopting a soft tone.

chelle

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 10:36:31 pm »
Toori had half-expected Fang to be gone when he came back, but he was still there, just in the place he had been before. He certainly hadn't been expecting the hand to fall onto his and he started, looking up at Fang in surprise. He was close, and his eyes were so open and so blue and Toori had to force himself to not jerk away. Fang thanked him, and Toori looked down at their hands and then nodded again.

"You're welcome," he said in an equally soft voice, then gently pulled his hand out from under Fang's, hoping Fang wouldn't think he was rejecting him. He turned away, back toward the busy street, taking a deep breath and shrugging off the last five minutes.

"That cafe is just a few blocks that way," he said, gesturing to his left like none of that had just happened, but he spoke softly, wondering if Fang even wanted to eat anymore.

Jenny

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:39 am »
Having given his thanks, Jaxon lifted his hand somewhat, allowing the blond to slip his hand away. The reaction didn't upset him whatsoever, in fact he had been anticipating it as purely normal. And he knew that Toori wasn't upset or angry since the blond had told him- so gently- that he was welcome, and when their eyes met- Jaxon felt a mutual understanding there, some kind of trust being built. It was all very out of the blue, and not what he'd expected at all, but there it was, and Jaxon couldn't find it in himself to push it away.

He dropped his arm in turn and, like Toori, went on walking as though nothing had happened. This wasn't his way of trying to forget, nor was he embarrassed or regretful about it- far from. He felt warmed by it, especially in regard to his opinion of Toori. His actions had been.. so thoughtful, Jaxon was surprised by them.

At the mention of food, Jaxon realized how hungry he actually was. He wasn't in the habit of eating healthily or often. "Good," he said with a stretch, "I thought I was going to die on the way there." He picked up the pace and they entered the cafe together. Jaxon slipped into a small table which was a little isolated from the rest of the customers, immediately setting his eyes on the menu.

chelle

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:23 am »
Toori realized belatedly, while they were walking, that he wanted to thank Fang too. He wasn't sure why, exactly, maybe because Fang hadn't said he was sorry or my, how awful that must have been for you or any of the myriad of things people always said and thought were nice or helpful. Mostly Toori didn't like talking about his past because he didn't like having to deal with the people he told, having to juggle their condolences and their sympathies, and feeling guilty if he saddened or upset them, especially when Toori himself felt so curiously numb about the whole thing. He wanted to thank Fang for understanding that, for knowing what it felt like and somehow miraculously knowing the exact perfect thing to say, only now of course the moment had passed and Toori couldn't summon the courage to go back.

Usually Toori avoided social situations because of just this-- walking with someone, not talking, but for once Toori didn't feel awkward or unsure about the silence. He didn't feel the urge to grope around for something to say, some neutral and asinine topic that meant nothing, and he didn't find himself wondering if Fang was regretting this whole thing yet. He just walked, and didn't speak, and felt pretty all right about that.

As they entered the cafe and Toori slid into the booth opposite Fang, he caught sight of one of the waitresses and instantly regretted choosing this place. It was his favorite restaurant, but it had also been his grandfather's favorite restaurant, and--

"Toori! Is that you?"

--all of the wait staff knew him by name. Toori repressed a cringe, and then looked up at the waitress with a slightly strained smile. The waitress was a kindly older woman, about the age of his grandfather, and had worked at this cafe since Toori could remember. She was very nice, Toori had always liked her because she'd snuck him free helpings of pudding as a child, but also very friendly with his grandfather.

"Yes, hello, Wanda" Toori offered, voice still strained because he knew any minute now she would ask about his grandfather. Sure enough, she glanced at Fang and then back to Toori, raising her eyebrows.

"We haven't seen you or your grandfather in ages! We were all worried, is he coming?" she asked, all kind confusion. Toori sighed inwardly and glanced away.

"No, he's at home," he hedged, looking over to see her confusion drop into something more relaxed, and Toori couldn't help but blurt (because it was unlikely that his grandfather would ever eat here again, and wasn't that a jarring thought), "He's sick." Wanda blinked in surprise, then her brow creased in worry and sadness, and here it was, the sympathy, written clear as day all over her face and Toori swallowed down the anger that crawled up his throat. It wasn't her fault his grandfather was sick, she certainly didn't deserve his anger, but Toori felt it nonetheless.

"Oh," she said, her hand pressing over her heart as she realized Toori's full meaning, "I'm so sorry to hear that." Her voice was soft, genuinely upset, and Toori wanted to yell, wanted to scream what right do you have, being upset, he isn't your grandfather! After a silent moment Wanda composed herself, and Toori couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't inappropriate.

"Well," she coughed, trying to cover up the sudden awkwardness, catching on to Toori's intense desire to not talk about this, "Can I get you boys something to drink?"

Jenny

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:10 pm »
Having the prospect of a good dinner ahead of him, Jaxon eased a great deal as he sat down and began to read the menu. Though he had expected to, he did not feel unsettled about the conversation he'd had with Toori. Rather, he felt the most comfortable he had yet. So comfortable that what had just happened was not even on his mind anymore. He was more focused on food than anything else, and plenty of the dishes sounded good to him. Since Jaxon's attention was entirely absorbed in the menu, he failed to realize the oncoming conversation until he heard Toori addressing someone. He looked up curiously.

An older woman in uniform was at their table, speaking to Toori with familiarity. Jaxon watched silently, leaning back in his seat. He wasn't the type who- being in a situation where a conversation excluding him was taking place- would pretend to be reading their menu while they listened. Rather, he let them know he was listening without participating in the conversation. And unlike most, he didn't feel awkward at all in doing so... At least, usually. Then, he noticed where this was going, and noticed just how uncomfortable Toori was. Hearing about his grandfather- It just didn't seem right, and he cast his gaze down reflexively. Perhaps Toori didn't want him to know that. But the blond's tone was not resigned or embarrassed when he spoke, it held a trace of frustration and anger.

It wasn't his tone of voice that really gave it away, though-- it was his eyes. Jaxon observed that Toori looked angry and hurt, almost vulnerable. Clearly the matter of his family was a sensitive thing for him, and seeing the older woman give her 'sincere condolences' made Jaxon a bit annoyed, on Toori's behalf at least. Being that he shared Toori's perspective about any personal conversations, he wished that the older woman would drop the subject, too. When a silence fell over them, Jaxon was ready to interrupt and take the responsibility of changing the topic, but the waitress beat him to it.

"Just water," Jaxon replied. After Toori placed his own order, she walked away. Jaxon watched her until she was out of hearing range, then focused his gaze on Toori again. "I won't mind if you want to leave," he said simply, fingering the menu idly. "I don't want you to be anywhere you don't want. You could just say you had to go run an errand, or something."

chelle

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »
"Tea," Toori ground out, focusing his attention on the menu so he wouldn't have to look at the waitress. Honestly, he'd nearly forgotten Fang was there at all, and when he offered his drink order Toori looked over at him, a little surprised. Then Fang offered him an out, which was... Tempting. Toori looked down at the menu, entertaining the idea of giving his excuses and leaving, retreating back to his grandfather's house and locking himself in his room with his blueprints. It was tempting, and Toori was faintly surprised that Fang was being so thoughtful and kind, he was suddenly a completely different person from the one who had walked into the shop earlier today. Toori reflected, briefly, on how quickly things had changed between them. He doubted the change would last, tender feelings borne from commiseration that would surely fade when Toori stopped feeling so broken-open, but he found himself enjoying the change all the same.

"No," Toori sighed finally, "I've been coming here forever, it would be rude. And she means well, I just..." Toori trailed off and then shrugged, unable to articulate how much he didn't want to think about how sick his grandfather was. And maybe, just maybe, he wanted to stay with Fang and have dinner, wanted to keep spending time with the first person he'd ever met that didn't make him feel awkward and strange in his own skin.

Jenny

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
Much to Jaxon's surprise (because he was sure it was what the other wanted), Toori rejected the offer to leave. He attempted to explain himself but seemed to struggle, quickly quieting again. Jaxon could understand the feeling. Lacking the experience speaking about himself and his feelings, it was often hard for him to articulate them when the time arose to do so. "I'm sure she does mean well. That's fine, you don't have to explain it to me. We'll stay," Jaxon agreed easily, picking up the menu and looking at it once more. As he read through the items, he found that he couldn't focus well- primarily because he could still feel Toori's discomfort radiating off of him, and he felt the need to fix it, almost.

The only plausible way to do so would be to distract him, so Jaxon did just that. "You know what you need?" he started, eyes lingering on the short list of alcohol at the bottom on the menu. (Jeez, what a ripoff, he thought. That wouldn't happen in Cancer). He looked up and met Toori's gaze. "Alcohol. Lots of it. Speaking of which, how old are you anyway?" he inquired. There was no way Toori was going to let Jaxon drag him to a bar. He hadn't a shot in Hell. Especially if he was much younger, though Jaxon felt he had to be around his own age.

chelle

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »
Toori tried to focus on the menu, tried to read through the list of sandwiches but now he couldn't stop thinking about his grandfather, still at home. He had a day nurse that came by while Toori was at work, so he wasn't worried. Or at least, not any more worried than he usually was. The doctors had said with proper medication and treatment he could live for a few years, maybe, and Toori wondered if one day he'd come back to this cafe and have to give the news about a funeral. That thought made a lump form in Toori's throat, made his fingers tense around the menu and he almost missed Fang's next words.

He looked up at the mention of alcohol, forgetting some of his discomfort in favor of frowning at Fang.

"I'm nineteen," he said slowly, "And I'm not a big fan of alcohol."

Jenny

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »
Jaxon quirked a brow at the blond's next words- he saw that coming about a mile away. Toori definitely didn't seem the type to be hanging around bars, or to really be doing anything 'bad' at all. Whereas Jaxon was the type someone looked at and immediately stamped a label on. Troublemaker, space pirate.. He didn't mind; it was accurate. After all, he lived a life of crime. Even since he stopped being a gang member, he was still in and out of trouble all the time. "I thought you would say that.." Jaxon commented with a shake of the head. "Nineteen, hm? You're like a baby," he teased with a grin. It was only a two year difference- not a big deal whatsoever. But all of his closest friends back in Cancer had a good ten years on him, and he'd never had a younger friend before. How could he pass this opportunity up?

chelle

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »
Toori bristled at being called a baby, his worries all but forgotten in the face of Fang's obnoxious attitude.

"I'm not a baby," he snapped, "What's wrong with disliking alcohol? I didn't say I haven't tried it." Being teased about his age was somewhat of a soft spot for Toori, because in school he had been advanced a year, and though difference between him and his classmates was only a year, it had seemed like a world of difference and Toori had been at the butt of teasing about it.

"And you don't look so much older than me, anyways. How old are you?" He aimed the question at Fang with a glare, his menu ignored and limp in his fingers.

Jenny

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »
Though it was a bit twisted in theory, Jaxon was glad to get a reaction out of Toori once more- it was a confirmation that he had succeeded in distracting him from his thoughts. It was nice to see Toori was back to his sharp, snappy self, refusing to take any teasing. Though being the victim of a glare that fierce was a little uncomfortable.. It was also funny. Smiling, he replied, "Twenty one," boldly- like it wasn't completely ridiculous that he had just called Toori a baby over a two-year difference.

"But you're still a baby. Especially with that cute, innocent face of your's," he laughed.

chelle

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »
"Innocent!" Toori repeated, studiously not blushing at the 'cute' part and slapping his menu flat onto the table, "I am not innocent, and I am not a baby, and if you call me that again I'll-- I'll--" Toori's threat fell flat, because he couldn't think of anything suitably murderous, though his glare was still sharp and angry. He wasn't sure punching Fang would be a good idea, anyway, because if Fang was a gunner then certainly he knew how to handle a punch, while Toori... Well, Toori could build a gun, but he wasn't sure if he could fire one.

Jenny

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
Jaxon couldn't help but snort out a laugh as Toori exclaimed the word 'Innocent' dramatically and slammed his menu down, and then, and then (Jaxon was pretty much laughing seriously now, not in a mean way, but he was sincerely amused), trying to threaten him. As his laughter dwindled into a breathless chuckle, he shook his head once. "That's very intimidating, Toori," he said in a mockingly serious tone, though it was not in bad taste. He was just rolling with the punches and Lord, did Toori make him laugh sometimes.

It was a little underhanded, but Jaxon took notice that Toori continuously disregarded any flirting and 'cute' comments and decided to run with it. "So I can't call you baby, or innocent.. But you don't mind if I call you cute, hm?" he pushed, flashing his pearly whites in an almost predatory way.

chelle

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:12 pm »
Toori's outrage only grew when Fang laughed, and with it his embarrassment-- now Toori couldn't quite fight the blush from staining his cheeks. Toori wished desperately that he had Fang's flair for banter, it seemed so easy for him to say anything, while Toori struggled with the simplest words. It wasn't that Toori didn't know what to say, or how to joke around with someone, it just seemed like more often than not somewhere between Toori's brain and his mouth the words got lost.

And maybe Toori envied Fang's conversational skills, but he did not envy the single-minded determination with which he flirted. Toori hated flirting. It was awkward and confusing, and especially with Fang it was impossible to tell what was sincere and what was a joke. The blush on Toori's cheeks darkened by a few shades and he struggled to find a response to that.

In the end, though, the waitress saved him the trouble by walking up and giving out their drinks.

"Are you ready to order?" she asked, and Toori looked down at his sadly forgotten menu, realizing just how caught up he'd been with Fang.

"I think I need a minute," Toori said, and the waitress nodded and left them alone.

Jenny

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 03:08:28 pm »
The more persistent he was with it, the more Jaxon realized he meant a little bit of what he said- the cute comments weren't misplaced, he did find Toori cute, both his appearance and his behavior, though he wouldn't ever admit it seriously. That would be as a good as a confession, and Hell, Jaxon had been with people but he'd never dated, and he didn't plan on it. He was rather sure that he was going to be alone for a long time and that was fine. So the prospect of 'liking' Toori, it didn't even strike him as even possible, just silly- which was why it was the topic of his jokes.

Yet even being sure of that, Jaxon couldn't stop himself from feeling what he did when he saw Toori blush because of him. He wasn't even sure what the feeling was, but he didn't have time to think on it when the waitress joined them, asking if they were ready. It was funny how he had completely forgotten about his enormous appetite. Toori asked for another minute, and she wandered off again. Jaxon looked down at the menu in front of him, feigning good behavior. Then he quietly muttered, "You don't have to be so embarrassed, after all, we are on a date," and let out a laugh.

chelle

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »
Fang looked down at his menu, which Toori took as a sign of truce, so Toori looked down at his. But, of course, Fang just couldn't give up. Toori was actually surprised by the date comment, though in retrospect he shouldn't have been, and he looked up sharply. He made a small, outraged noise, at a loss as to how to get Fang to stop with the flirting. It seemed like every time he did Toori blushed, and it wasn't necessarily just because he wasn't used to such attention. Fang was charming and attractive and outgoing, and exactly the kind of person that had ignored or teased him in school, and getting this attention now was... Disconcerting. To say the least. Toori couldn't help but be highly suspicious of this behavior.

Finally, Toori let out a tortured sigh and turned his attention back to his menu.

"Pick something to eat. I thought you were starving," he grumbled.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal