Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Bensis Mechanical Repair [closed]  (Read 2200 times)

Jenny

Re: Bensis Mechanical Repair [OPEN]
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:53 am »
Jaxon had said what he did completely conversationally- not out of kindness, not with any expectation for a grateful reply, and so, the reaction he received surprised him quite a bit. The tension that suddenly filled the air was tangible; he could feel the discomfort rolling off Toori in waves.

When people felt very strongly or were thinking of something intensely, it 'irritated' what was left of his psychic abilities. That wasn't to say he had any understanding of what Toori felt, but there was this sort of feeling between them that let him know something wasn't okay with what he said. And it upset Jaxon, in a strange way. Because he hadn't wanted to bring something up that would hurt or push Toori. People had done that to him for the past three years of his life, he knew how it felt. People asking him about his horns, his appearance, asking him where he was from, where his family was. Even when certain memories returned, discussing what he could recall of his past was one of the most painful things he could be asked to do.

So in what way he could, Jaxon understood, and he dropped the subject as quickly as it had come up. Yet, he pretended nothing had happened, that he hadn't noticed the way Toori's hands shook, the tightness in his voice. The topic wasn't worth any sort of pursuit, not even an apology, if it made Toori so uncomfortable. "It's not for everyone," he said indifferently. "Are you going to do the repairs then? Do you need any help?" Unwittingly, his tone and gaze had softened considerably.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

chelle

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 12:56:14 am »
When Fang spoke, Toori glanced over at him, frowning a little. Fang seemed completely disinterested in the conversation, and while Toori was grateful (he really, seriously did not want to be thinking about this right now) he couldn't help but be a little surprised. Toori wasn't sure what he had been expecting, he hadn't been thinking about Fang at all, actually, but Fang didn't seem like the kind of person to care so little about other people's affairs. Up until now he had been nosy and obnoxious, and Toori wasn't sure if he was being nice or really was disinterested. It was most likely the latter, after all, they had known each other for maybe an hour or less.

After a silent moment, which Toori took to pull himself together, he shook off the lingering hurt and retreated into the safety of the machines.

He resumed typing, finishing the list and pretending like he hadn't just had a minor breakdown.

"Yeah, I--" Toori paused, narrowing his eyes at Fang, "Do you know anything about ships?" He was perfectly capable of doing the repairs alone, but a hand could always be useful, assuming the person attached to that hand wasn't completely hopeless at fixing things.

Jenny

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 01:05:02 am »
Some idle part of Jaxon's mind wished that he was a little warmer- that he was the type of person who could catch onto another person's pain and then comfort them aptly. But all the same, he felt that comfort wasn't what Toori needed. And if he was wrong, and the boy did need to talk about whatever had just upset him, then Jaxon wouldn't even be the person for that. They were strangers, and it just wasn't his place. The best thing he could have possibly done was to drop the topic, as he did. Mentally sighing, he had to wonder why he was explaining himself to... himself. It definitely had something to do with that hurt look on Toori's face, probably. The kid just looked so fucking vulnerable, it was getting to him. He definitely needed to collect his expression before Jaxon's resolve totally crumbled.

"Do you know anything about ships?"
Not really, he wanted to say. But how was he supposed to say no, now? Jaxon wanted to scream at himself a little bit. He was totally falling apart here at one show of sadness from Toori. "I've certainly done more difficult things than replace filters," Jaxon shrugged, wondering why the hell he offered help, and why he was helping, and why he cared. And why he was so confused. "If it'll get the job done quicker, I'll do it.."

chelle

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 02:03:00 am »
Toori considered Fang carefully, surprised again that he would offer to help so willingly, though he only frowned at Fang. He couldn't seem to quantify Fang, every time Toori turned around he seemed to be doing something surprising, and there was something so... Inexplicable about him. And Toori hated not being able to explain things. It was the reason he preferred to spend his time with machines, there was so much about human behavior that Toori simply couldn't explain. And for the first time, speaking with Fang, Toori got the urge to find an explanation.

"All right," he said finally, hesitating a little before turning back to the list, "You can help." Toori went over to his toolbox, opening it and rooting around inside.

"We'll start with the air filtration system."

ooc; we can skip the actual fixing stuff part if you want, i can't imagine that being very interesting to play out...

Jenny

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:34 am »
Though he seemed almost begrudged to do so, Toori eventually did allow Jaxon to help with the repairs. They quickly discussed the basics of the air filtration system and the location of the main parts on the ship that would need changing or replacement, then went their separate ways to take care of it. It took the lesser part of a half hour for them to wrap up those very simple repairs before they came together once more in the engine room.

Since the remainder of the tasks were a bit too complex for him, Jaxon settled for helping in what ways he could- by passing tools to Toori or... depending on his mood.. withholding them and waving them over his head.. Until he lost the other's misplaced trust with simple tasks and was no longer asked for any help whatsoever. Though he left the room several times (to get a drink, to find his communicator, to do this and that), he did spend the bulk of his time lounging around the engine room, tossing jokes and comments at Toori.

Yet in spite of the persistent distraction, Toori still finished the repairs quickly. Jaxon, who had been on the verge of falling asleep right in his seat, stretched languidly when he heard they were done, slowly sliding out of the chair before jumping to a stand. "Good," he praised sharply, "That was even quicker than I expected--"

Captain Leofrido is now boarding the vessel.. the system announced, interrupting him. Dropping his last thought altogether, he switched topics. "Well, that's good timing if I ever saw it. Now you can explain all of this to him, make his damn day, tell him how nice his ship is, and he can pay you," he said, before heading towards the door. "Come on," he beckoned, leading Toori back to the main deck of the ship.

Sure enough, there was Leofrido at the entrance computer terminal, checking on the status of the repairs, engines, and supplies. "Captain!" Jaxon greeted, giving him a salute for humor's sake. Leofrido turned to face them, regarding the pair with a warm smile. This was the sort of man one looked at and knew he had a good heart- he was older, probably in his forties, and while he had the face of a man who knew the meaning of hard work, his overall look was very composed, almost elegant. In a way, he matched his ship. Leo was your a-typical Edani; tall and lean, with light features. His long blond hair, already graying, was swept back into a tie. He wore simple white clothes and there was a small amount of stubble on his face.

"Jaxon," Leo greeted, tilting his head in acknowledgement. "And at long last, a mechanic..." Jaxon nodded and filled in the blank, "Toori. Toori, this is the Captain of the White Thunder. Leofrido Vari." Immediately, Leo came to shake Toori's hand genially.

"I already saw on the computer terminal- You've done all the repairs. I can't thank you enough," he said sincerely. "I knew I could trust Fang to find someone good and here he is! How much do I owe you?" he asked.

ooc: lol i don't think you will do this, but don't have toori run out. i'm just going to have leo be all ~hey~ you did such good work, i can't let you go home without fang here taking you to lunch ok kids go have fun bye. LOL.

chelle

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:20 am »
Normally Toori preferred to do repairs alone, and even if he wasn't alone he would tune out any sounds that weren't related to whatever he was doing. Normally, there was nothing that could tear Toori's attention away from a machine mid-repair.

But Fang kept stealing his tools. And those tools were like Toori's children, and Toori had to keep reminding himself that he probably shouldn't punch a customer in his stupid mouth just for stealing his tools, and touching things, and being a general nuisance.

When Toori finally crawled out from under the engine and announced that the repairs were done, his relief was intense and immediate. Then, just as Toori was carefully locking his toolbox, the ship announced that the captain was on board. Toori had to hold in a groan. He was so close. On the bright side, though, now he wouldn't have to come back later for payment, and risk running into Fang again.

The captain seemed kind enough, and Toori retreated into professionalism, giving the man a friendly smile and shaking his hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Captain. You've got a lovely ship," Toori said, and at the mention of payment he pulled a flat tablet out of his toolbox, turning it on and then pulling up the forms he had started earlier.

"I've got your receipt right here," he said, tapping a few things and then handing the tablet over to the captain, "Payment options at the bottom, along with where I'll need your signature. We accept credit or cash, but if you pay in cash you'll have to come down to the store."

ooc; jaxon finally got to see that smile, lmao

Jenny

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »
Captain Leofrido beamed visibly as he spoke to Toori- who was not only a good, polite Edani (his favorite kind of person) but complimented his ship right off the bat. It was quite plain to see that the Captain loved his ship, and while that was typical of any captain, what Toori was unaware of was that Leo had drawn up the blueprints for the ship himself. So naturally, any compliment was greatly welcomed and appreciated, much more than usual.

"Thank you, she is a beauty," he agreed cheerfully, then took the tablet from the mechanic. He retrieved a card from his pocket and ran it through the machine, placing the payments on credit. When it was accepted, he handed back the tablet. "It's great to see a kid who knows so much about ships and does such thorough work. I really can't thank you enough for all your hard work. You should be hungry after all... Fang, why don't you treat Toori to dinner?"

Jaxon had been quietly observing the interaction with some amusement. There was the smile he had been waiting for, and as he had anticipated, Toori had a nice smile. The warm sort that lit up a person's face, not just a mechanical curl of the lips. Yet, Jaxon wasn't going to be content until he earned the smile on his own.

And it seemed like he would have more time with Toori yet. The Captain had suggested they go out to eat, and if he didn't know any better.. He would have called that a little subtle matchmaking on Leo's part. He didn't know Leo too well, but that smile sure as hell spelled mischief, and it took a good effort on his part not to burst out laughing. He would take the bait. "I'm sure Toori here would love that. Wouldn't you?" he asked, turning to look at the mechanic with an almost warm smile.

ooc: lmao, omg of course toori was smiling at the captain though. he likes dem older mennnn. rock on toori

chelle

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
Toori smiled and nodded, and was so busy checking double-checking over the form that he almost missed the suggested dinner. He looked up sharply, eyes wide and on the captain.

For the first time today he felt an actual stab of anxiety about Fang. Dinner. Dinner sounded ominous. Dinner sounded awkward. He couldn't imagine sitting at a table with Fang, exchanging pleasantries and small talk and dabbing their mouths with fancy napkins. Toori just didn't do social things, he was always awkward and terrible, and what if someone thought they were on a date.

Fang's words brought Toori back to the present, amused and teasing and God, Toori could kill him. But then he smiled, and it wasn't a smirk and it wasn't a tease, it was an honest, warm smile and something about it made him hesitate.

"I, uh," Toori scrambled for some kind of excuse, he couldn't very well say he had to work, and he mentally kicked himself for not having any friends who might make plans with him. Then he mentally kicked Fang, because he was the most irritating person Toori had ever met.

And then one traitorous little word fell from his lips.

"Okay."

Jenny

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »
After all that they had praised him, and then, with both the Captain and Jaxon looking on so very expectantly, there was no way that Toori- or any person for that matter- could reject them. At least, outright. Though it was perhaps a little evil and a little scheming in nature, the gunner was aware of that and found it convenient. He didn't question his own motives as to why he wanted to be around Toori. He just did. That was really enough. And he'd had enough practice distancing himself from his own thoughts and feelings that it wasn't even a subject on his mind. He'd never questioned it. He just wanted and acted accordingly. (For all that he observed and judged others, it was funny how little he did it to himself).

As he'd anticipated, though, Toori was struggling, seemingly racking his mind for some acceptable way to decline the offer. On Jax's side, it was hard for him to understand why anyone would reject a free dinner. But then, he wasn't shy or asocial or awkward whatsoever. He just.. Was. And being Jax involved a lot of terrorizing others.

Then, suddenly, Toori actually said "Okay." At the confirmation, the Captain smiled big. "Great!" he exclaimed, before turning to address Jaxon. "We'll be off tomorrow morning." A wink. And Jaxon was seriously questioning his premade conceptions about Leo. That was almost.. raunchy. Almost. With that, Leo bid them a good night and walked away.

Jaxon wanted to laugh in disbelief, but he wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to poke fun at Toori. In Jaxon's eyes, the blond was his new favorite toy. He closed the distance between them and came awfully, teasingly close. "Oh my, now you know all about my plans to seduce you," he said in a quiet purr, smirking evilly.

A wild card by definition.

chelle

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »
"We'll be off tomorrow morning."

The suggestion in the sentence was unmistakable, and Toori went white as a sheet. He couldn't believe a captain would make such blatantly inappropriate comments about his crew, and his hired mechanic. Toori was so busy being mortified that he completely missed the captain's goodnight.

The next thing he was aware of was Fang's breath, not unpleasant smelling but he could feel it on his face. Whereas seconds ago the blood had rapidly drained from Toori's face, now it came rushing back and more. Toori's face resembled a tomato as he took in the almost predatory look in Fang's eye, the sinister line of his mouth, the secretive tone of his voice.

And it wasn't, exactly, that Toori didn't want that sort of thing-- not from Fang, mind you, just in general-- because he did, he just could never see it ending in anything but disaster. He had tried, once, being with someone, and it had been a fantastic disaster and besides, Toori knew Fang was just saying it to rile him up.

He hated that it worked.

He shoved Fang away, anger and embarrassment both intermingling to give him the burst of strength  he needed, and then he bit out, "That's not funny."

Jenny

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »
It was highly likely that watching Toori's face pass through a series of exaggerated expressions and colors was the best thing Jaxon had ever seen. Ever. He didn't have much to build off of (three years consisting of crime, near-death experiences, and generally being loudly miserable), but he was sure that teasing Toori was one of his new favorite things. Toori might have even surpassed shiny new toy status when he turned bright red and still as a statue. Jaxon refused to acknowledge it-- because acknowledgement was always the first step to making a feeling or thought considerably more serious- but he did find the blond incredibly cute in that moment.
At least until he was shoved.

Okay, maybe that was cute too. Jaxon stumbled back but caught himself quickly, a surprised expression settling on his face. "Awww, Toori," he said soothingly, immediately sidling back up to Toori's side like a scorned dog who wanted to make nice. "..I thought it was funny," he commented under his breath, peering at Toori from the corner of his eyes in a faux-timid manner. "Do you not like me?" he asked suddenly with a gasp, very melodramatic and very overplayed. Oops, he was usually so good at acting. But maybe there was some truth in this game, and that always made for trouble. "That's very cruel. You know, when someone just gives their heart away like that, you're not supposed to shove them. Usually." Jaxon paused. "I don't mind though," he added, throwing in a wiggle of the eyebrows for good measure.

chelle

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 06:38:08 pm »
Toori just stared at Fang when he spoke, his embarrassment slowly changing back into plain annoyance. He almost couldn't believe Fang was real, his over-the-top charm and tendency to be as obnoxious as possible seemed like he was a caricature, and the horns, pointed ears, and fangs just added to that image. Once again, Toori fought the urge to quantify Fang, to find some kind of meaning in all of this.

He considered responding to the Do you not like me? question, but in the end he settled on narrowing his eyes at Fang.

"You are... the most infuriating person I have ever met," he said, a little bit of honest surprise leaking into his voice because it was true. Then Toori gathered up his toolbox, and what was left of his dignity, and started to walk away.

"And you are paying for dinner."

Jenny

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »
Jaxon was very nearly anticipating being shoved once more, but it never came. Instead, Toori's expression slowly eased out of embarrassment and then he was getting that narrow-eyed look again.. That look seemed to be the very foundation of their interacting, it came on the other's face often and pretty much represented Toori's attitude perfectly. Suspicious, annoyed, sharp, that was most of what Jaxon seemed to bait out of the blond.

Being called the most infuriating person he had ever met, Jaxon had some idea that he should have been offended. But he wasn't whatsoever. He found the comment funny, and he had half a mind to push the subject and say something like 'Thank you' just to be difficult. Before he could, Toori began to walk away, muttering some comment about dinner that just made Jaxon laugh. "I still get to have dinner with you?" he asked incredulously, wondering why Toori hadn't already wandered off. It wasn't like he was obligated by law to follow through because he had said okay a few minutes ago. But Jaxon wasn't about to point that out. Instead he hurried up to the mechanic, cutting ahead of him to scan them out of the ship and put up the security system.

Once outside, Jaxon walked at Toori's side again, hands in his pockets. "And of course I'll pay. Since it's a date and all.." he said, his tone gravely serious.

chelle

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »
Toori made a valiant attempt at not blushing at the date comment, and mostly failed. It wasn't even just that Fang called it a date, Toori also noticed that Fang had said get to have dinner with you, like it was a privilege or something. Toori took a deep breath, fighting down another jolt of anxiety and glaring at Fang.

"Please, I could do so much better," Toori said, sniffing prissily, and hoping he sounded like he actually believed that, "You're paying because you stole my tools."

Jenny

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 07:16:47 pm »
Thankfully for Toori, Jaxon happened to miss the blush that crossed his face, as he was trying to navigate them out of the space port. It was a bit more crowded than it had previously been, which was to be expected since most ships left in the evening. But when he heard the blond say he could do better, Jaxon took the time to glance over his shoulder. The look he put on Toori was sharp, almost challenging. Probably Toori should have known better than to say something like that, which more or less translated in Jaxon's mind to 'Turn the charm up'.

"Better?" he repeated, completely ignoring the comment about tools. Jaxon was almost offended about that, and he expressed his distaste for that statement by turning and squaring his shoulders, resigning into silence. Half of it was, of course, sheer dramatics to get Toori wound up, but there was at least some sincerity in all drama.

chelle

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »
Toori had expected another quip, maybe some other comment designed to make Toori uncomfortable, but Fang only repeated Better? and went on walking. Toori watched him carefully for a long moment, falling into step beside him and furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. Fang actually seemed upset by the comment, though it was impossible to tell if he was pretending or serious. Toori felt a slightly mad urge to comfort him, to assure Fang that he had been joking, and if Toori had ever actually wanted to date anyone Fang would be a catch.

It seemed impossible, though, that Fang was really upset, would really care what Toori thought about him, so Toori shrugged it off and approached it like a joke.

"Yes, I've got men throwing themselves at my feet, can't you tell?"

Jenny

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »
Moody was... almost definitely one of the best words to describe Jaxon- always had been- and he only proved that with his strange attitude, jumping from teasing to flirty to downright embittered. Taking offense to Toori's remark, though, required too much effort on his part to keep up. It was easier for him to joke around, and it was a quick way to cover up what he'd felt. In many ways, humor was the easiest way to handle anything; when something was made a joke, it was easier to deal with, to belittle, and to shrug off. Thankfully Toori seemed to know that, because his following comment unwound Jaxon's tension somewhat, earning a snort of laughter.

"Oh, yes. I heard some rumors about a beautiful virgin maiden in Tynova who has twenty suitors visit her a day.. It must be you," He said, then laughed aloud. They were finally outside of the space port, and before choosing any particular direction to move in, Jaxon leaned back against the wall. Raking a hand through his messy hair, he set his gaze on Toori. "Well, my maiden, it's your pick. Where do you want to eat?"

chelle

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
Toori bristled a little at the virgin remark, feeling like his joke had backfired somewhat, and he was once again set on edge by Fang's snide comments. And then Fang went and called Toori his maiden, and Toori rolled his eyes. Toori's eyes lingered on Fang's hand when it raked through his hair, thinking about what places were nearby, had decent enough food, and which places had the highest chances that they could get through dinner without anyone assuming they were on a date. Toori made a thoughtful noise, mentally ticking through a list of restaurants.

"Well, I have to stop off at the shop first, but I know a little cafe nearby that's pretty good." His grandfather was friends with the owner, and Toori had often gone there as a child and adolescent. Though, he hadn't been there since his grandfather had fallen ill.

Jenny

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »
Jaxon was (surprisingly) agreeable when it came to things like this, so at Toori's suggestion he shrugged indifferently. "Sounds good," he said with a decisive nod, pushing off the wall and beginning to walk back to the repair shop. He was always much more likely to do what another person wanted than to suggest or say what he wanted. After all, Jaxon was stunningly unwilling to speak about himself for someone who was so loud and forward. One big contradiction, really. And it was made worse by how he expected others to speak about themselves.. Like now, for example.

He was well aware that he wasn't going to spend the next hour or so with Toori simply teasing him, and Jaxon did have some understanding of 'normal conversations'. He figured it was high time to stir one up. "So, have you always lived in Tynova?" he asked curiously while they walked, his eyes taking in the familiar and yet unfamiliar sights. Parts of the city had changed since the days he had been there, and even the parts which he instinctively recalled felt wrong because he couldn't put his finger on why he remembered them, or what had happened there.

chelle

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »
Toori didn't answer right away, looking off at the buildings and shops and debating what to tell Fang. He wasn't a particularly secretive person, nor did he find talking about his deceased parents particularly upsetting, but it was a personal subject. If anything, Toori was always a bit irritated when he had to explain, and then deal with the ineffectual and awkward condolences and pity. Toori didn't really remember or miss his parents, and he hated being pitied.

"No," he said finally, after deciding that lying would be too much work, "I lived on the Frontier until I was six." He glanced over at Fang, wondering if he should return the question. Surely, Fang was born on some space station or far-off world, and his life so far had been full of adventure and travel, and no family or responsibilities to weigh him down so he could live his life as free and easy as he pleased, hopping from world to world at a moment's notice.

Toori swallowed down jealousy and decided he didn't care what Fang's story was. Only, of course, that was a lie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal