Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Aboard the Dirty Molly [Jim]  (Read 734 times)

Anonymous

Aboard the Dirty Molly [Jim]
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »
Nick wanted off this blasted bucket of bolts. He loved mechancis and engineering, but this hunk of junk wasn't worth a spit. The engine didn't need a mechanic, it needed a miracle. Two weeks ago, Nick had signed a contract to service the engines of the "Dirty Molly" for three months. Right now he wasn't sure he'd be able to keep the thing from falling apart in the next three weeks. For two weeks now, he had barely taken a few minutes out of each day to eat, sleep, and shower. Every waking moment had been spent in the engine rooms. Hell, he hadn't even met any of the crew, save the captain who had hired him.

After running into yet another setback in getting the ship into a half-way decent shape, Nick just couldn't take it anymore. After throwing his head back and screaming in the engine room out of pure frustration, he'd stormed out of the engine room, through the halls and into the kitchen. That was it. If the captain didn't agree to stop at the next space station and pick up some parts, he was gone. Fuck the contract. This was ridiculous! Sure, he was good, but not that good. Even he had to have something to work with.

It was, jeez, the middle of the night, most of the crew was probably asleep. Nick groaned, he never was good at keeping track of time. Putting on a pot of coffee, he fell into a chair. Exhaustion was eating away at him, but he couldn't just leave that poor, poor baby alone. "Dirty Molly" needed him to coax that engine back into a good state, rather than the piss-poor shambles it was in. Oh sure, they could fly, they were flying, but it wouldn't last if it wasn't properly repaired. Letting out another groan, Nick let his head fall to the table with a soft 'thunk', and there he sat, with his shoulders slumped in dejection.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Aboard the Dirty Molly [Jim]
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »
Clyde scratched at the growth of stubble on his face.  Two weeks of keeping this pig of a ship moving in the right direction and he was just getting some time out of either the cockpit or his bunk.  It was time for a cup of coffee.  Not even all the stimms he'd had mixed into his daily rations could give him the same kick a simple cup of nearly burnt coffee could.  He could almost taste it, just thinking about the stuff.  Hell, he could smell it as he staggered toward the galley.

He pushed open the door and his mouth began watering as the smell of coffee flooded his senses.  Someone had read his mind and was in need of thanks, he was sure of it.  Of course, even if he knew the name of the person who'd put the coffee on, he'd have no idea what they'd look like.  He'd only seen the Captain and First Officer since he'd been on-ship.  Everyone else worked a decent shift on this boat, it seemed.  Hell, even the engineers were likely asleep at this hour.  Lazy bastards.  He'd submitted a half-dozen reports about the port attitude thrusters and he still couldn't get the ship to yaw to starboard more than a couple of degrees every ten minutes.

Clyde looked around the galley and spotted a young boy laying slumped at a table.  After pouring himself and the kid a couple of cups of coffee, he sat down across from the boy and shoved the steaming mug toward him.

"Hey, kid," he said tiredly.  "You look beat.  Drink up."

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:46 am »
Nick stayed where he was, slumped against the table. He thought he heard someone come in, but at first he wasn't sure if he'd finally snapped and was just imagining things. Who else in their right mind would be up at this hour? The smell of coffee had overtaken the room and he heard someone pouring some into a cup. Well, he should probably get up and get him a nice mug too, that's what he'd come in here for, wasn't it? He didn't want to move, as uncomfortable as one would think his seating arrangement, he found it oddly comfortable.

A few moments later, Clyde had sat down opposite of him and had pushed a steaming cup towards him. Wearily Nick lifted his head and blinked a few times. Oh sweet stars, coffee, he wasn't sure he'd ever seen something so beautiful in all his life. Finally sitting up and leaning back in his chair he rubbed his eyes. What he wouldn't do for a full night's sleep. Of course, he couldn't really sleep right now. Too paranoid the ship was going to fail and they would all crash into some hunk of space metal or something.

Taking the cup he took a tentative sip, it was hot enough to burn his tongue, but he wasn't sure that was a bad thing. He'd really rather not taste the slop they'd been calling his rations. Even the hospital had better food than what they were getting, but he supposed what they had was standard fair for a smuggler's vessel.

"Beat isn't the word I would use to describe myself. It's more like having been thrown through a blender."

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »
Clyde stretched and tried to flex the kinks from his neck.  He winced as he moved his head in a way it hadn't been turned in weeks - up.  "I know what you mean, kid," he said as he took another pull of his coffee.  "I've been locked into an acceleration chair for the last ten days, trying to keep this bucket from hitting every thing with a magnetic signature.  Whoever's in the engine room's doing a dandy job of fucking with 'em, thoo.  Can't get the port thrusters to work worth a damn.  Must have a half-hundred reports filed already"

He leaned back in the stiff galley chair and gasped as he felt something pop in his back.  Sighing contentedly, he looked back at the young man and nodded.  "So what about you?" he asked.  "What've they got you stuck doing on this tub?"

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »
Nick remained slumped back in his chair, nursing his cup of coffee, he even managed to keep his face even when Clyde insulted the 'whoever' in the engine room. Yeah, that would be Nick. Now, he really never did take kindly to someone insulting his work. Mechanics were important on a ship. Vital, even. However, he could almost let it slide. Except, what the fuck did anyone expect him to do with this piece of space shit?

When he was asked what he did on the ship, he couldn't help but cringe and take another drink of coffee. "I'm the guy that reads your 'half-hundred reports'. You can stop sending them, you know. I got the message the first time. Hell, I knew there was a problem before your first report. There's only so much I can do, and I'm telling the Captain that first thing in the morning. I know the port thrusters are in the toliet, but I need a replacement part, and I've got a list as long as my arm with other problems on this hunk of junk."

Nick huffed. Everyone always questioned his abilities. It was because he was young, wasn't it? Just a dumb kid. Not his fault the ship was held together with duct tape and wishes.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:04:14 am »
Clyde winced as the kid pointed out that he was the ship's mechanic.  Well, it wasn't like it was the first time his foot had ever wound up in his mouth, nor was likely to be the last.  Shrugging, he drained his cup and leaned back in his chair.  "Well, I feel for you, kid, I really do, but you gotta tell the Cap'n he needs that part, or the next time he decides we're going to fly through a debris field, we might not be so lucky.  Hell, it'd be nice to have it working the next time I try and dock this scow."

Clyde fished a battered pack of smokes from his flightsuit's breast pocket and took one for himself, lighting it with a small torch he pulled from his utility belt, before offering the pack to the young man sitting across from him.  "Hey, kid," he said with a crooked grin on his face, "No hard feelings, right?"

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:59 pm »
It wasn't that Nick was sympathetic to the pilot's plight. A ship that was too clunky to handle because of malfunctions was dangerous for everyone on board, and any other ship or object they might run into. He just couldn't do anything about it. Not yet. He would as soon as he could, but until he got that part, his hands were tied on that matter. For now there had been plenty of other problems to keep him busy.

"Don't worry, the Captain is gonna get a piece of my mind. I didn't sign on for this. Yeah, I told him I could fix the ship and keep it running, but not if I don't have the parts I need. Maybe if we both bitch his ear off about it he'll actually do something about it."

He took his cap off and ran his fingers through his hair before plopping the hat back on his head and rubbing his eyes. He gave the cigarettes a sideways glanced before shaking his head. "I couldn't hold hard feelings over this ship. And you do know those are bad for you, right?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal