Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: The scent of clay  (Read 2760 times)

Aria

Re: The scent of clay
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:47 pm »
The young woman could not help the wry smile pulling at her lips at his complete disregard of the other vase, flicking his ashes into it and then setting it aside carelessly. "Mmmm." She made a noncommittal noise as she considered his words. The way he talked about clay, you'd think he communed with it. Actually, she didn't doubt that he probably did, in a way. "Do you have a lot of... pieces? Do you sell all of them, to make profit?"

Cygnus was aware of him, was not oblivious to the movements that brought him closer. She continued to study the vase, thinking about his question. What did she do? Honestly? Did her life really even hold any meaning these days? Hardly. Part of that was her own fault, her stubborn refusal to let go of her bitterness, her resentment, to forget and let go and move on. She held on to that hatred, fuel to simply get up in the morning, it was what got her from day to day- awaiting what times she is allowed to reconnect with her true calling, to bond with her flora kindred. "I live, Mister Van Der Aart. I... how would you put it... unfortunately, do not have a hobby such as this, as you do." Her answer was purposefully vague, the restraint of her upbringing just barely keeping her from betraying just how bleak an existence she thought her's ways. One does not confide that in strangers, after all. "Aside from the.... job assigned to me here, that is." There were acidic undertones in her voice were a tad hard to miss.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »
"Why not?" Jordan couldn't really miss how bitter the girl sounded and it amused him. There was no point in fighting the system, not like that. It would only make her angry and used up. No, much better to go along with it, make it work for you.

"It would do you good to find something you love. It will make you beautiful to have some passion in your soul." Jordan reached his hand up, stroking a knuckle down her cheek, although he knew her dislike of his touches.

Aria

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
Cygnus could detect the amusement in his voice, and her gaze swept upwards to his face, green eyes flashing with annoyance. She did not care for being mocked, not in the least. What to say, though? Why not be honest? "Because... it has been very hard to find enjoyment in life."

Her nose crinkled in cynical disbelief at his words at first, then she stilled at his touch, movements completely halting for a few heartbeats. Her eyes did not move from his face, gaze steady, one hand half raised as if in caution. A look of questioning, wariness. Then her face closed up, and she became guarded, defiant once more. With an offhand manner, she turned and placed his vase upon the shelf, adjusting her headscarf to drape even more closely around her face. "Perhaps I will take up..." She waved her free hand at the piece of pottery before her, fingers briefly touching the subtle intricacy," Pottery." Her tone was half joking, a carefully sarcastic smile upon her lips.

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »
"Pottery can be very rewarding." Jordan's lips curled into a smile, enjoying the play of emotion across her face. She was interesting and pretty. He would like to get to know her better, see what was behind all those shields.

"Why not find joy? Being bitter doesn't suit such a pretty face and fierce spirit."

Aria

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
"Mmm?" Again, Cygnus made a noncommittal noise as she gazed upon his work of art. "It... seems to work for you."

"You speak pretty words yet again, Mister Van Der Aart." Cygnus turned from the vase, her expression obviously unimpressed. She was not, after all, a woman easily swayed by compliments and the like. While Jordan seemed quite honest enough, not the sort to charm and beguile on whimsy- Cygnus knew quite well, appearances could be very deceiving. "Being bitter... helps to get by. As does anger. Especially when one has quite a lot to be bitter and angry about." Her voice was clipped, hedging around the subject skillfully. "And being bitter is a hobby within itself, I can assure you." Her smile was now both wry and cynical, thoughts already raging at Edanith and all its inhabitants.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 01:18:02 pm »
"Ah, yes. But oh so poisonous to the soul." He reached out again, touching her just above her breast, over where a human's heart would be. He wasn't sure if her's was located there, his ability to see numbed too far by the headband, "It would be so much better to use that and move it into art. Capture it there, express it in clay or paint or metal and let that hold onto that bitter rage."

He smiled again, liking the odd colored woman and her prickly temper, "There are much more...healthy and fun activities you could be enjoying."

Aria

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:51 am »
"So says you." Even though she knew he was being truthful. She knew first hand the poison with which bitterness corroded your soul. Cygnus's eyes carefully tracked the movement of his hand when it reached towards her. She looked at him warily, then reached up and took his hand, steering it away from her body,"But perhaps it is something worth giving thought." And she was being honest. Perhaps she would take up painting, sculpting, pottery, metalwork, or other such activities.

She turned away from his smile, releasing his hand from her grip. There was a point that she reached, where a conversation strayed just too far into the subject of herself. They had reached it. Cygnus reached over and picked up the vase shaped by Jordan's hand. "I will buy this." She stated simply, and then walked further into the interior of the store, in the direction of the counter.

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »
She was such an interesting one. He would find her again, that he was sure. Her path was entwined with his. Damn these headbands or he would be able to tell how much better. He hoped she was in the mood to open up, because Jordan was very interested.

His eyes slid down her frame as she walked away. It wasn't just her mind that interested him. She was pretty under all that barbed hostility.

"You have good taste." Following after, Jordan leaned against the wall, still watching her as she paid, "If you want to take up pottery, I would be happy to give you lessons."

Aria

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:23 pm »
Cygnus could feel his eyes on her, and, unbidden, a smile played at her lips-

Which promptly disappeared when he was able to see her face once more, as she retrieved what the vase cost from a pouch at her waist. Handing it over, she let the cashier properly bag her purchase, and raised a considering brow at Jordan. "Would you?"

After being handed her bag, Cygnus turned, "Very well. Where do you live?"

Anonymous

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »
"Of course. I am happy to serve." And part of him could never fully shake his mother's training. Always collect favors, bind people to you in very real ways. The universe wasn't kind to those that cheated a witch.

Pulling out a scrap of paper with a crossed out list on the back, Jordan scribbled his address, "I have my studio there. Maybe I'll make us dinner after the lesson."

Aria

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:30 am »
She watched quietly as he wrote on the paper. Then she reached over and delicately plucked it up, slipping it into her bag with his vase.

"And perhaps I'll stay for it..." Cygnus's smile was faint, giving away nothing. "I guess we'll have to see." With that she turned and exited the shop, giving nothing but a fleeting glance backward as a farewell.

Anonymous

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »
Jordan grinned, pleased with his meeting with her. She was an interesting one, so lovely and so catty. He was going to enjoy their lessons.

((OOC: Time skip?))

Aria

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:16 pm »
((Sure! C: It was either that or a new thread. But this works just fine, too.))

Cygnus reached out and adjusted the vase, so it caught the light just so on its edges.
She studied it for a moment more, then turned it another way. Still not satisfied, a deep frown overtook her features, and she sighed darkly at the piece of pottery.

The vase she had bought almost two weeks prior had been moved from shelf to table and back again more then a few times. Cygnus found her eyes drifting to it whenever she returned home. And each time she remembered the meeting, and the slip of paper that lay somewhere in her kitchen, she would move the vase once more.

Maybe it was time to give Mister Van der Aart a visit. Figure out that pottery business before the itch to try and remove her headband caught up with her again.
With one last dismissive look at the inanimate object, Cygnus rose and headed for her kitchen.

She ended up finding the paper in the trash. One of the infuriating beings that staffed her house thought they were being helpful and threw it away. Cygnus was positively livid by the time she'd fished it out, and made that clear by yelling at them all. Of course, they understood none of it, as it was all in the language of her home planet. Most of them were used to it already.

And then, after angrily washing her hands and retrieving a headscarf, she left. Not the type to ask for directions (from anyone), it took a bit longer than anticipated- she could've easily asked for transportation there, but refused to accept their help. But find the address she did. Cygnus's green eyes studied her surroundings as she approached, the wind tugging at her scarf and fluttering her long skirt behind her.

Cygnus lifted a slim hand, hovering by the door. She probably should have given some sort of warning before she came. But, it was rather too late for that now, wasn't it? So she knocked- loudly and firmly, to be certain sure she was heard.

Anonymous

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »
Jordan almost missed the sound, having been working in his studio. It was only because he was getting himself a drink in his kitchen that he heard the sound. Heading over to the door, he opened it wearing a thin, long sleeved and comfortable shirt and worn in jeans.

At the site of Cygnus, his face lit up in a bright grin, leaning against the door frame. He was covered in wet clay, spattered across him and his hands were almost solid up to his elbows, "I wasn't sure you were every going to come for that lesson."

Aria

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »
Cygnus stepped back when the door opened, she'd almost thought that no one was home. "Ah..." Her eyes studied the clay splattered across his front, lingering on his hands. There was even a bit on his face.

"I was not sure, either." Her smile was just teasing enough. Discreetly, Cygnus tucked the slip of paper with his address away.

Anonymous

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:45 pm »
"I'm glad you did." Jordan stepped back, motioning her to step inside, "You look beautiful. If you want a lesson, I hope you are prepared to get those clothes dirty. If not, you can wear some of mine."

Aria

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 09:00:46 pm »
"It has not even been two minutes, and already with the pretty words..." Cygnus smiled wryly as she stepped inside. Once in, she paused to look around. "Hmmm..." She was fond of the skirt, truth be told. But wearing his clothes?

"Alright. Would you be willing to lend me some clothing?"

Anonymous

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 09:08:18 pm »
"Pretty words for a pretty lady. I could be crude if you would rather, but I find it is useful to tell the truth. I find you beautiful. What's the harm in verbalizing that?" His house was bright and airy, with lots of open space. There were a few pieces of pottery around, though mostly Jordan seemed to have a less is more sense of aesthetics.

Gesturing to another room, he smiled, "I would be thrilled to get you out of your clothes." He padded barefoot into his bedroom and pulled out a clay stained shirt and a pair of pants, "These will be too big, I'm sure, but I'll try and find you something to use as a belt."

Aria

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
"No, I would not rather." Cygnus would be lying to herself if she did not admit that she preferred beauty over vulgarity. Her expression turned amused,"I... suppose there is no harm in that..." Cygnus found his living space a tad spartan, but at least it was not spartan in the perfect, conservative manner in which the rest of Tynova patterned itself after. The absolute perfect symmetry of it all often grated on her nerves. But no, his was open, pleasant, but not perfect.

Cygnus followed after Jordan, a puzzled expression capturing her features for a moment. She did not quite catch onto the flirtatious nuance there, at first. Then she smiled to herself when she realized what he meant. "I am sure you would..." Her eyes took in the room, obviously where he slept at night, then looked at the clothes that he produced. She took the garments, a little cautiously. "Thank you." Then looked at him pointedly, with a faint bemused smile- as she was not intending to undress in front of him.

Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »
The bedroom was simple as well, mostly warm colors, though well lived in. He smiled, then retreated to the other room, shutting the door behind him. Giving her time to change, he searched around for some string and came across a bit of rope he had been using to tie some wood bundles together. It should work.

Lounging in his kitchen, he sipped his drink, waiting for her to finish.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal