Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Slow and Steady Wins the Race!  (Read 1415 times)

Anonymous

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:10:35 am »
The flowers were a little much.

Remi looked down at the bouquet of flowers in his hand and cleared his throat and wished his cheeks would stop burning. There was a bunch of orange tulips and two tiger lilies. Alaric liked those, right? Remi shook his head and pushed his hair back. A sigh stuck in his throat and he coughed a few times before he pressed the button that opened his door.

Dressed a little nicer than usual, a little more casual. Jeans instead of the usual dress pants, his shirt was untucked, a plain striped white and blue thing that looked a little wrinkly because he hadn’t bothered to pull his laundry out of the dryer right away. The sensitive tips of his scarred ears were bare and he felt a little naked without his bright sunflower yellow hair covering them.

But this was something new and exciting, and he would get to see Izzy today. Izzy and Alaric. Maybe take them for ice cream. Or something. Remi didn’t notice he was at Alarics door until he realised he’d been standing in front of it for almost – Remi lifted his arm to look at his watched– two whole minutes. He cleared his throat and pressed the button.

Was this too weird? Bringing flowers?  He kept his gaze down, held the bouquet of flowers in front of him. Relationships were tricky business. It would be different though, having someone to try and make happy. Someone to be cheerful for. A small smile was turning the corner of his mouth up and he closed his eyes for a moment before he cleared his throat again and looked down at the flowers.

Even if he got the flowers wrong, Alaric would still like them. He knew that much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:14:41 am »
Alaric was going to die. He was going to have a spazz attack and die on his floor and that would just be the end of it. He had made Gabe come over and help him figure out what to wear. And he still freaked out. What if it was too much? He was in some skinny jeans, a simple button up shirt, a black vest and his totally rad shoes with the flames on them.

But what if it was wrong? What if Remi could tell he was trying to hard and got mad?

He needed to calm down. It was just going to go see Izzy and it was only kind of a date and he was just a rebound and just....he still wanted it to be perfect. Even if it didn't mean as much to Remi. He was okay with just having a little bit. Really.

Wrapped up in his pacing and panicking, Alaric jumped when the doorbell rang, staring at it wide eyed and tense. He was here! WHAT WAS HE GOING TO DO!? He wasn't ready! He should change! And...and...!

His heart pounding, Alaric went to the door and took a deep breath, opening it. And was instantly rendered speechless by the sight of the bouquet. He blinked, then smiled, flushing as he reached for the flowers, "Oh, Remi! These are beautiful! I love tiger lilies! Thank you!"

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:25:46 am »
“I know you do.” Remi said quietly, letting go of the bouquet when Alaric took it. “That’s why I got them.” He smiled slightly and took a step into Alarics house closing the door for him as he stepped in. “Put the lillies in some water, and we can go get Izzy.” He was actually looking forward to spending the evening with his daughter and his potential SomethingMoreThanAF riend.  

Remi would have a chat with Izzy about Alaric. Taking a deep breath he extended his arm out and rose his eyebrows. “Ready? Brush your teeth? Make up? Shave? Got your watch? You have no idea how nervous I am right now, Ally. I don’t want to fuck up.”

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »
Alaric headed into his kitchen, grabbing a vase. It was one his mother had made for him in one of her crafty phases. The lilies were stunning and the fact Remi had gotten him his favorite made his heart pound. It was hard to not...fall too hard. To keep the distance he knew he should keep.

He was just a rebound, something to help fill his wife's void. That was okay. He could live with that. He just had to keep his head.

He turned is surprise at Remi's comment, "You? Nervous? Why? I mean, I'm the nervous one here!"

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:10:32 am »
What Remi wouldn’t do to be able to get through Alarics shields and see what he was thinking. It couldn’t have been anything good, knowing the aliens dragon he was probably thinking a number of bad things. He let it go though. Simply stuffed his hands in his pockets and stared down at his feet. The surprise Alaric let loose when Remi spoke surprised Remi in turn.

“Why? What do you mean why?” He stared at Alaric and kept his mouth shut, why? Remi didn’t know why. He was just.. Nervous. Didn’t want to push Alaric. Didn’t want to do anything stupid to make him not like him anymore. He felt young. Taking a deep breath.

“We should have a talk before we go get Izzy.” Remi moved into the room and sat down on the couch and patted the space beside him. “I’m not doing this to make you happy. I know you like me. I know how infatuated you are. I’d have to be blind not to see it. I’m not Roman. I’m not stubborn enough to just try to not like you.” He rubbed at his cheek for a moment and bit his lip before clasping his hands between his knees. “I just didn’t want to disappoint you, being something I couldn’t be for you. But that was just making me miserable because I know how you feel about me.”

He sighed and pushed his hands through his hair. “I’m sorry. I’m bad at this talking thing. I... don’t want you coming into this relationship just to make me happy. That would make me feel worse.”

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:06 am »
"What? No! Of course not!" Alaric gaped at Remi, totally confused. How could Remi think that? There was no way. And Remi, was....he was Remi! What did he have to be nervous about? He was beautiful and strong and amazing and, well, hot.

"I-I really like you. I mean, I always have. A lot. I mean, if you don't like me back, that's okay. If you changed your mind about the date, I totally understand. We can just see Izzy like normal, you don't need to force yourself or anything."

He was babbling, he knew. But he didn't know how to stop, didn't know what else to say or do.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:31 am »
Remi sighed and stood up, walking towards Alaric and putting his hands on his shoulders. He had to look up, which was strange to him. It was Alaric though, so it was okay. “You’re silly.” He said simply before he grabbed his cheeks and pulled him down slightly for a quick kiss. “I want to try this out. I need to stop wallowing in self pity because it’s doing nothing but making me hate myself and making those around hate me.”

He brushed his thumb against Alarics cheek bone before he traced along a horn with his index finger. “You’re the only one that stood by no matter how grumpy I got, or how drunk or...” Remi sighed and let his head drop down, moving a step away. “I don’t want to use you like I have been. I’m not doing this for you or me. I’m doing this for a possible ‘us’.” He licked his lips and turned away.

“I don’t want there to be an invisible wall of Izyasica between us, Alaric.” He stared into Alarics eyes. Maybe that was the nail on the head. “We need to talk. About that.”

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:34 am »
Alaric leaned into the touch, craving the physical contact. He was starved for it, even more so from Remi. The touch on his horn got a small shiver from him, unused to being touched there. It felt very intimate in that moment.

And the kiss, the kiss just made Alaric flush happily. He had never really had many kisses before recently. It was a nice change, sweet and safe, "I-it's okay. I wasn't used, really. I liked being able to take care of you. You were hurting, I really understand."

When Remi brought up Izya, he smiled, shaking his head, "I really understand. You already told me and it's all cleared up."

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:52 am »
Remi sighed and took Alarics face between his hands.

“Are you sure?”

It wasn’t so much a question as a demand. “I want this. I really do. I want you. I want an us.” He turned away, it made his heart ache and his face flush to admit that. How much he truely wanted it. To crawl out of his hole of self-pity. Izya wasn’t going to come back, no matter how much he loved her or cared for her. She was dead. She was bones. Dead dead dead dead.

Though Remi still had to let go. Soon. She was slowly slipping away and he was glad for it.

“It’ll take time.” He said slowly, he didn’t even know what he was talking about anymore. “Aww, I’ve ruined our date already and we haven’t even left your apartment. I’m sorry.” Remi rubbed his face and shook his head. “Lets go. I’ll whine later. Lets go have a nice time with Izzy.” Remi tried to smile before he grabbed Alarics hand and started to tug him towards the door.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:50 am »
Alaric's heart beat faster, his face warm. This was amazing, better than he ever could have dreamed. Remi wanted him...he wanted to be a couple. Alaric almost cried. Instead he just nodded, blinking back his tears, "Y-yeah. I do too. I...I want this. Um...but yeah." Alaric gave a small laugh, feeling awkward.

He let Remi tug him out the door, "So, what's the plan with Izzy tonight? Just going out for dinner? She's been dying to see you, she has been saving some pictures for you."

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:01:30 am »
A deep breath and he turned around and smiled, choosing to ignore the possible glimmer in Alarics eyes. “Yeah. That was the big plan. Maybe spend some time with my parents and play house or something. You can be the mom. I’m not wearing that silly pink apron.” Remi rolled his eyes, remembering the few previous visits he’s had with Izzy he’d always wear that silly apron for her and pour imaginary tea.

He didn’t let go of Alarics hand until he had to. They took public transportation, because it was must faster than attempting to drive anywhere and within the half hour they were at his parents and he was knocking on their apartment door. He heard his mother ask ‘who’s that’ and for Izzy to ‘please get the door.’ Like a good granddaughter the little girl opened the door and it took her a moment and a squeal of delight before she launched herself at her father. “Daddy!”

With a huge grin on his face he hugged his daughter close, even though she was clung to him like an eel. Her legs were hooked around his chest and her arms were wrapped around his neck. Lavender eyes peered over to Alaric and she grinned widely and waved her hand “Hi Alic! Come in, come in! Gramma just made snacks!” Remi carried his daughter into his parents house before dropping her onto the couch.

His mother was sitting in a chair, she was a rather young looking woman, maybe in her mid-fourties with the same sunflower hair as Remi. It was easy to see which of his parents he took after. The voice of his father saying hello came from one of the rooms down the hall. Likely the computer room.

“Ah, Alaric, dear. You look wonderful. Are you going to stay for a while before you go out for dinner?” Remi smiled at Alaric before he gently took his hand and pulled him over, casting his mother a meaningful look to which she laughed lightly and said something that sounded like a mumbled ‘about time.’  “Alaric told me you have drawings to show me. You two should go get them and then come show me.” He smiled at Alaric, an almost childish smile before he moved to sit on the couch.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:57 am »
When the small, blond torpedo hit, Alaric just smiled, ruffling the girl's hair, "Hey Iz-bit!" It made him happy to get to see her with Remi. He knew how much the little girl missed her father. Inside, he blushed a little at the look Lourienne gave him, "I think we were going to be here for a little bit."

At least long enough for Izzy to calm down a little, with the excitement of her dad being there, and getting to see Alaric and her dad at the same time. Taking the girl by the hand, Alaric got lead off down the hall to her room, chatting with the girl about her day.

It didn't take long before Izzy came sprinting back into the living room, a few papers clutched in her hands that she thrust up at her father. On it where a number of childish paintings, with lots of Princesses with dragons and flowers and such.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »
Remi just smiled as he watched them go down the hall and he carefully avoided his mothers eye contact.  He asked about how she was doing in school and then his mother went on to gently remind him to visit his daughter more often and an even more gentle warning that little Izzy was showing signs of being psychic.

He didn’t think anything of it and just waved his hand and, though his face brightened up when the pair came back. Remi took the pictures and grinned at them, ooing and aweing like a good parent before he came accross a picture that looked like a self-drawing (who was a Princess, of course ) with floating blocks. “What’s this, honey?” Izzy grinned brightly and ran off to her room for a moment before racing back and dropping four blocks onto the carpet.

“I saw it on TV! I knew Daddy was a Pilot, the kids at school are so jealous, too! Then there was a show on the TV about how to see if you can be a Pilot and...” Izzy brightened up considerably and stared down at the blocks, almost glaring at them. The concentration on her face was obvious and slowly the blocks trembled before raising into the air until they were shoulder height with the little girl.

Remi stared in horror. His little girl. It took everything in him not to yell at her to stop it. Seeing her lift those blocks, not even make them tremble, but lift them made his heart sink. Instead he pat her head, “That’s great, sweety.” He took the blocks away and held them. Remi stood up and picked Izzy up and pulled her close to his chest, giving her a hug. Of course, she snuggled right in. It was praise! From Daddy! It was the best thing ever!

His eyes were red though and his face was miserable. She was already on the list, how could she not be when both her parents were Pilots? He looked at Alaric and hugged her tighter. “Daddiiiieeee, you’re squishing meeeee.” He quickly schooled his features and cleared his throat before placing his daughter on the ground. “Ready to go sweetie?” He smiled and then looked at his mother.

“We’ll get going.” Remi grabbed Alarics hand and squeezed it before letting go. “Go get your coat!” Izzy rushed off to get it and he took a deep breath. He’d break down about this later. Or hope Alaric was just... making her feel better about herself. By lifting the blocks for her when he came to visit.

Or something.

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 11:46:39 am »
When Izzy did the block tricks, Alaric felt like his heart stopped. Gods...why? He knew the chances of her being psychic were high, with two parents that were powerful enough to be Pilots, but seeing it was awful.

Turning, he stared at Lourienne, "H-have you reported this?" He knew Izzy was on the watch list, because of her parents, but this got her put on the confirmed list. She was going to be a Pilot, go through the program. It felt like someone had sucker punched him.

At the fairy's head shake, Alaric felt even worse. Standing, he backed away from the family, "I-I..." This wasn't supposed to be like this. He had been wanting this date, dreaming about this date since he was a candidate. And it had been shattered by a simple trick by a child. His sweet little Izzy and he couldn't stand it.

Even worse were the sad eyes Remi kept giving him. And Alaric knew that the other Pilot needed someone to take care of him. Needed someone to help him deal with this all. But just then, it was all too much for Alaric. He couldn't just shove this down and help Remi with his pain. His own was crushing him.

"I-I'm sorry. But I have to go. Sorry. I...goodbye!" And with that, Alaric took off out the door and into the street. He needed to get away from this all, he needed time to think.

Well well. The little mutt is a psychic. How exciting. Shall I get that reported for you?

Kazef's voice in his head made Alaric shudder, but the dragon was right about something, Yes. Please.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »
Izzy looked very surprised when Alaric left in such a hurry. She turned wide lavender eyes towards Remi and he just took a deep breath and smiled at Izzy, shaking his head. “His dragon called him. Must have had something important to do.” Remi picked Izzy up and sat down on the couch rubbing his chin against the top of her head. “You know he wouldn’t have left for any other reason, Sweetheart.”

The little girl seemed content with that answer and snuggled into her fathers embrace. “Can we go get dinner now?” she smiled brightly, although disappointed Alaric had to leave. Remi looked towards his mother, she knew exactly why Alaric had left. So, the day went on as planned and Remi and Izzy went and had dinner after watching a movie. It wasn’t the fanciest of restaurants but Remi ordered something for Alaric to bring back for him.

By the time the day was over, Izzy was snoozing on her fathers shoulder and Remi had to knock on his parents door with his elbow. He gave Izzy a kiss goodbye, promising to see her soon before he went back to the citadel. Silently, Remi wished Alaric was home. Remi didn’t have to worry about Izzy being psychic or her getting into the program until she was 13. There was still lots of time. For now.

Before he really noticed, he was standing at the door to which he politely knocked on.

The night hadn’t turned out like he had intended it to. With the container of food in hand he chewed on his lip and stared down at his feet waiting for the door to open. If Alaric was home at all.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:17 am »
After leaving Remi, Alaric had called Gabriel. It hadn't taken the blond long to arrive, bearing pie and a movie. Heartbroken and racked with guilt, Alaric curled up on Gabriel's lap, only occasionally lifting his head to steal pie.

He had ruined everything. He hadn't been strong enough to deal with all of that coming down on him. His sweet little Izzy was going to become a Pilot. She was going through the program, at 13, too young to really defend herself.

And he was the one that had put her there. He was the one that had done his duty and made sure the Government knew she was in fact, psychic. And probably a powerful one if she was already lifting that much weight, untrained.

He had one arm wrapped tightly around Gabe's waist, his face pressed into his friends stomach when he heard a knock at his door, "I just...I ruined it all Gabe. He just kept looking at me like he was all broken inside and I just couldn't handle-"

Lifting his head, he gave Gabriel a slightly quizzical look, then realized who it might be. Flushing with guilt and embarrassment, the alien slowly unfolded from the couch and headed over to his door. Pressing the button, he found Remi standing there, with something in his hand, "I'm uh...I'm sorry Remi. For ditching our date."

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »
Remi wasn't expecting the look on Alarics face and he stared at him for a moment before realising what Alaric had done. He'd turned her in. Stuck her on the confirmed list. Sealed her fate. Which meant he wouldn't have to. He didn't want to feel it, but his chest filled with relief because he wouldn't be the one to have to give her daughter to the government. Even if unintentionally Alaric had saved him again.

He swallowed and looked past Alaric to spot a blonde head, he gave a wave before tugging Alaric out into the hall and closing the door. "It's okay. We can go on another one sometime." Great. Now what. Remi looked at Alaric and tugged his head down a bit so Remi wouldn't have to endure going on his toes. He gave Alaric a lingering kiss on the cheek and then bit his lip. "Izzy and I got you dinner. It might be cold by now, but I hope you like it. I'm not sure if you've had it before but Izzy insisted that we get it for you."

There was a pulse of how amazed he was with how well he was taking this. Did a switch flick? Was he not so horribly broken because Izzy was alive and well, just headed to a bad place in a few years? Remi gave Alaric the container of food and opened his door, gently pushing him inside. "Enjoy your night with Gabriel. You know where to find me if you want a re-do. No pressure." He gave a half smile, almost sure that even infatuation would never get Alaric to seek him out again.

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:27 am »
Things seemed to be happening so fast. He was suddenly tugged outside and Remi was kissing his cheek and handing him food and Alaric was still just too dazed from it all to respond well. And now he was getting shoved back inside.

He hugged the container, bewildered and even more confused, "I-what? Uh, okay?" Was that it? That was all Remi was going to say? Alaric wasn't really sure what he had wanted, but this...didn't seem to be it.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:52:33 am »
"Why are you running?" Gabriel suddenly said from inside Alaric's home, rising up off the couch. He had kept quiet for as long as he could, but seeing Remi drag Alaric outside and then push him back inside? Gabriel hadn't heard everything, but judging by his last words and Alaric's lost expression, it hadn't been what Alaric needed.

He came up beside Alaric and put a reassuring arm around his friend, knowing how hard this night had been, how distraught he still was. How Alaric had been looking forward to this night forever only to have it ruined in the worst possible way, and then to feel like not even the person he loved could support him. "You're just gonna...leave him? Like this? Tell him to find you for a do-over? That's it? Wow. Talk about missing the fucking point."

Gabriel paused for a moment to take a deep breath. This night had been draining for him, too; it hurt to see his best friend hurt, and it pissed him off to see someone being so oblivious. "Can't you see he kinda needs more than that right now? That he's crazy about you and you didn't even follow him when he's hurting, you're not even asking what's wrong or anything? Pro-tip: it's not just about the date."

Sure, it was Remi's daughter. Gabriel knew that. But Alaric loved her, too. Yeah, Remi needed support, as well, but so did Alaric--and Alaric was the one who has signed the girl away. They needed that from each other.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:16 am »
Remi stared at Gabriel and his mind went blank. He felt stupid and put out. Remi bit his lip and looked away, moving a hand to press against the side of his head as he tried not to stare at Gabriel. "I... I wasn't running." Remi said slowly. He thought he was doing some sort of good deed. Giving Alaric his space. Gabriel was here. Remi felt like he'd have been intruding. But how to express that properly so Gabriel didn't make his head explode.

"You're here." Remi said simply, "Why would he need my shoulder to cry on if he's already on yours? I felt like I was intruding. I..." He went quiet and took a step back, ducking his head down. Remi rubbed at his cheek and chewed on his lip, feeling like an awkward teenager. Remi stared at Gabriel and he could feel the stupid expression on his face.

But he couldn't fix it. Couldn't think of anything to say. Couldn't try to make his side any better.

Was Remi really missing the point?

Yeah. The point was so far out of his sight that it wasnt even a possible concept. He felt like a right asshole. Why did Alaric even like him? What did that silly boy see? The few nice things he did when they didn't really count? Because he couldn't do them now, obviously. Remi finally shut his mouth and looked away. "I know what's wrong, Gabriel. I'm very aware of what's wrong. I didn't want to bring it up because I felt that if I mentioned it he'd feel like I was accusing him when all I am is greatful that he did it before I had to because that would break me." Remi turned to Alaric and he swallowed. "I know why you're so sad."

" I don't know how to deal with... Sad. I don't know how to make it better for you. I don't know how to give you the comfort you obviously gain through Gabriel." Remi took a deep breath and put his hands on Alarics shoulders, then it hit him like a tonne of bricks. "Oh. Alaric." Did he really love Izzy that much? "You feel how I would have. Oh Gods... And all I did was..." He eyed the container of food and the good deed just seemed stupid, "I'm sorry I'm so dense."

Remi winced when he looked at Gabriel, "I'm sorry." Remi wanted to pull Alaric into a hug but instead he just moved his hands down and cupped his elbows. "I... I'm a fool. Of couse you love Izzy." Remi laughed, almost hollow, "She's just as much yours as she is mine, right? More even."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal