Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Surviving a Dragon  (Read 583 times)

Anonymous

Surviving a Dragon
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:23 am »
Is it possible?

I'd really like Divus to have a reputation for toughness, and surviving an encounter with a dragon (not killing it, merely surviving it) would figure as numero uno for his well-deserved reputation in Tienar. What are the chances of there being young dragons that aren't as powerful? Or naturally recurring EMP-like phenomena or maybe a downed starship in the Tienar wastes that had a functional EMP generator?

-stabs dragons- hax!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Surviving a Dragon
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:50:38 am »
There are no young dragons, not that are with Aedolis anyway. As a side effect of too much tampering with their own bodies, the dragons cannot breed.

An EMP weapon recently, in terms of game time, killed a dragon, but from the reactions I'd say this is pretty much unheard of. Teinar survives by hiding their existance from Aedolis, not by fighting them, so if they have anti-dragon defences, they have never been used.

There is no naturally occuring phenomenon as far as I'm aware, nor would one make much sense I think.

Any such weapon on a downed ship would undoubatly be swiftly recovered by the dragons. Remeber, their is no Teinar wastes. The earth belongs to Aedolis entirely, Teiner is hidden.

That said, surviving a dragon is possible, but would be hard. Any dragon could crack a human mind open like an egg in an instant and disable them completely, without even having to resort to telekinetic powers enough to drag down buildings. For any character to survive they would have to be immune to mental attacks, and either be incrediably fast or exceptionally well armoured.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:54:04 am »
So long story short, a big no? Lame!

(Divus is neither exceptionally fast nor well-armoured, and I'm sure he's pretty vulnerable to magics. Don't want to be getting ahead of myself, right?)

Cheers for the brisk answer. I'll work on another angle for Tybalt's backstory.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:03:37 pm by Anonymous »

Offline Tally

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:50:57 pm »
It would be highly unlikely, but not necessarily impossible for someone to escape an encounter with a dragon. Everything Choco said is right on. x3 The dragons are pretty tough customers. All the circumstances would have to be right and the guy trying to get away would have to be exceedingly lucky, resourceful, tricky, and fast.

I can't come up with any way it would work off the top of my head. P: The EMP thing was an isolated incident. The dragons have an awful lot of protection against EMPs since it is their one real vulnerability. It would take a very precise series of events, including the cooperation of a Pilot, to harm a dragon with an EMP for a second time.

A crashed starship in the wastes would have been appropriated by Aedolis immediately.

A naturally occurring EMP of some kind would already have been anticipated or encountered and they'd have protection against those.

In order to survive an encounter he'd have to a.) Somehow be able to survive long enough to escape and b.) Have some method of escape in which the dragon could not follow, bearing in mind Aedolis has satellites orbiting for surveillance of the surface.

But hey, you can still brainstorm some more scenarios if you want to! (: You might find a way to work it out.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:05:01 pm »
I have a shapeshifter character who likes to turn into a dragon but she doesn't bother with the psychic element of them so she is essentially just a big lizard when she is in 'dragon' form. However to a untrained person she looks exactly like a dragon.
Depending on when this incident happened it could be that he just encountered her if you want
Alternatively maybe he could have encountered another shape-shifter who also doesn't bother with the psychic part

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:09:28 pm »
But hey, you can still brainstorm some more scenarios if you want to! (: You might find a way to work it out.

I have a shapeshifter character who likes to turn into a dragon but she doesn't bother with the psychic element of them so she is essentially just a big lizard when she is in 'dragon' form. However to a untrained person she looks exactly like a dragon.

I'll give the Tybalt-meets-dragon a shot when I'm more comfortable with the setting and all. Plus, it'd be an interesting thread to work towards, anyway! Thanks muchly for all the help guys =]

-returns to furiously scribbling profile notes-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal