Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Meet your Mordecai! [Codekitsune!]  (Read 776 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Meet your Mordecai! [Codekitsune!]
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:53:34 pm »
It had been a few days since Luka had returned to Tynova with his new mage, and after dropping her off at the Biological Containment Facility, he'd left her alone since to allow her some time to adjust. She would have been fitted with a headband like the other mages as soon as she was dropped off, anyway, and frankly Luka hadn't wanted to be around for that. It didn't matter that he'd been working with mages for years; the sight of those headbands, bolted into the skull, always made him shudder. Sure it was relatively painless--the wounds were healed after the procedure was completed while the mage was still anesthetized--but still...it was just creepy.

He fingered his own headband thoughtfully, then adjusted it so it also kept his brown bangs out of his equally brown eyes. At least he could take his off whenever he wanted to.

Luka made his way through the military compound with ease and it wasn't long before he reached the Biological Containment Facility. Once he'd found his way to the cell in which his mage was being held, he typed in his password on a wall panel by the door, scanned his index finger, and once he was verified and the doors slid open, he stepped inside swiftly and let the doors shut behind him.

He wasn't worried about being attacked, though if she attempted it, it wouldn't be the first time. But just to give her an added incentive not to try anything funny, he stuck his right leg out a little to bring attention to the gun strapped to his thigh, though it was a casual, natural gesture, like he did it without even thinking about it. Apart from the gun, however, he was dressed in street clothes--just a pair of faded jeans, a loose shirt, and canvass shoes--and could have easily passed for your average Edani citizen. His shoulder length hair had a number of small braids running through it, though the rest fell loose.

Clasping his hands behind his back, he flashed Kyra a little smile and tilted his head to the side, studying her. It was an effort to keep from shivering when his eyes passed over her new headband and the bolts securing it into place, and he quickly fixed his eyes to her face.

"I hope you didn't think I'd abandoned you," he said at last, shifting from one leg to the other a little awkwardly as he tried to think of the right thing to say. She probably hated him right now, and that was to be expected; she was new to this, and he'd helped seal her fate. So of course she'd be angry, because most mages just didn't understand why this was done to them. Some came around with time, though, and even if they still might not understand at least they accepted it.

"I just wanted to give you some time to adjust a little. But anyway, I think I already introduced myself, but not completely...you can call me Luka, and I'm your Mordecai. Which is basically fancy-talk for saying I'm your boss." He gave an awkward grin. He didn't particularly like the word 'master', and thus never used it--unless the mage needed humbling.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

Re: Meet your Mordecai! [Codekitsune!]
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 03:36:41 pm »
Kyra's worst nightmare had been coming true over the last few days. She had been hoping she would wake up eventually. Hadn't happened yet though. She had started to believe it even though she didn't want to. How had  her fate changed so quickly without even a warning? She was helping other people like her, leading a good life. A happy one. She wasn't sure she could ever trust anyone again.

It made it seem even more like a dream because she had lost so much time, the procedure...she didn't even remember it. No pain was left over. She just remembered fighting and cussing at everyone she had seen. She thought she had gotten a good punch of to someone before they pumped her full of tranqs. She wasn't positive though. She looked at her right hand making a fist and opening it stretching the muscles. It felt a little sore, but that could have been anything.

Then she had woken up here. That was the strangest moment for her. Waking up in a cell, a place she didn't know. Reaching for her magic right off to try and break through something. She couldn't touch it. She knew the power that lay there and couldn't do a thing. It was as if someone had hacked into her and changed the password. She had reached up feeling the cold headband that had been...bolted into her.  She had been screaming and punching the walls trying to do something. All she did was hurt her hand more. She had been breathing hard after that sitting on the cot.

Eventually she calmed down and just sat on the cot holding her hurt right hand and knowing finally everything was real. She felt catatonic and sort of numb as she sat there. Then the door to her cell slid open. She fought the urge to shoot to the corner and hide. She wouldn't show how much this hurt, how afraid she was to be here. Her dignity was still her own, she was still Kyra.  It was...Lucas...Luka? She couldn't remember his name really. She felt a smidge of relief that he had a recognizable face and he wasn't one of the scientists. then she remembered that this was his fault, or at least she was gonna blame him for it.

He surprised her by showing up not in a uniform like she expected, but in casual clothes. Her eyes drifted down as he drew her attention to the gun. She didn't have the energy to try and hurt him anyway, she had wasted all that on the wall. She saw the shiver as he looked at her. She gave a brief thought as to whether it was because of her, a lowly mage, or because of something else.

"I barely know who you are. Why would I care if you abandoned me?" She tried to ignore the smile on his face, the little bit of warmth that seemed genuine. "How great to meet you Luka." Her voice was weak and her friend sarcasm was very present.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »
Luka shrugged, unperturbed. "Good point," he said. "Still, it's a pleasure to formally meet you, Kyra, and under..." He grimaced as he looked her up and down and gazed around her cell. "...slightly better circumstances."

That was putting it positively. The first time he met her was of course when he'd collected her, and now he was meeting her just days after her procedure. But as far as first meetings with a brand new mage went, there wasn't such a thing as a meeting that wasn't awkward--unless you were a completely desensitized prat, maybe, and thankfully those Mordecai were rare. Most viewed mages the way mages ought to be viewed: as people.

Just people with a dangerous asset that needed to be controlled. Mordecai were there to help them, really, and some mages even came to realize that after a while.

He ignored her sarcasm; he wasn't going to get snappy at her for having a personality, and besides, as the old saying went, you attracted more flies with honey than vinegar. Some more hardassed Mordecai ribbed him for his methods, for taking some of the shit he did from his mages and for not keeping himself emotionally distant, but he couldn't care less. Luka liked for his mages to genuinely like him, not for the sake of his ego but because it was more efficient. If there was a real bond there, the mages tended to be loyal and cooperative which was easier all around.

That was the reason he tended to give, at least. That the friendships were real on his end, too? He kept that to himself.

"But anyway, care to come out? I'm not really a fan of this place, either. Kind of creepy. Besides, I bet you wanna stretch your legs and see the sights, yeah?" He turned back toward the door but didn't yet open it, gauging her reactions. So far, so good. She hadn't started screaming at him or tried to attack him or anything; instead she was rather subdued. Maybe she had already accepted her situation? Ahaha, yeah right, he doubted that. From what he'd seen of her a few days ago, she was wild and stubborn, so he wasn't about to believe that she was already done fighting.

"I'm gonna open the door and let you out, but fair warning: you bolt, and I'll bring you down," he said calmly, looking at her from over his shoulder. He'd leave how to her imagination, but he hoped she'd consider his weapon and think twice if she had been planning on running. "Just follow me out."

Once again he entered his password and scanned his finger, the doors slid open, and he stepped outside and waited for her to follow.

...Or run, but he was really hoping she wouldn't do that. It would just be annoying for the both of them.

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:36:36 pm »
Brown eyes widened as the door slid open again, the outside just...several hundred guards with weaponry and who knows what else in the way. She started to stand up then sat back down feeling the weakness in her legs. Her heart was racing again as the door stood open, just beckoning her to make an irrational decision.

What did he mean by put down? Kill me, or just not me out? that weapon doesn't look to friendly.

She also knew that there was no way he'd think twice about killing her. If not her another would be given to him eventually. This sweet pie routine was just that...a routine, a lie. How could he care what happened to her when he was involved with something like this? The idea was far beyond her in all ways.

She knew the best thing to do in this situation despite how much she just wanted to run, was to play his game. She needed to figure out how to fly the coop. The best way to do that was to earn trust, in whatever way it took. Then you would be shown the weak spots the holes. But first and foremost she needed to stand up.

She pushed herself up with her left hand slowly, wincing. She had really done a number on herself. she glanced at the wall glaring for a moment. It of course was the same it had been before hand, tall, holding her back, stationary, and unmarred. Her weight was on her feet for a moment. The pain in her legs surprised her and her knees buckled and her legs shook. a right hand shot out to keep her from falling down. She growled at the pain in it.

"Idiot." She said under her breath to herself. Then louder "Just give me a minute."Her teeth bared as she took the pain. She pushed herself up again trying to tuck her right hand against her stomach. There was no way in hell she was asking the Mordecai for help. There was no way he'd help her anyway. She was nothing. She put it in her mind never to believe anything different.

Trust, she needed his. There was a way to get out. She could do it. There would be somewhere someone would know how to take this fucking headband off. Then it would all work out. There was a little voice that told her she was just dreamin'. She imagined herself burning it to death. There was no giving in.

Her eyes drifted up to Luka as she stretched out taller. She wobbled again, flashes of her parents were cutting across her mind. Mages in their own right, hoping their only daughter would get a chance to breathe free air. Even as a child she saw the fear in their eyes that shortly followed a happy moment. The facial expression that broadcast

How long will this last?

The paranoia every time they had gone anywhere. They knew how to control their power but how could she? All the things they had done to try and prevent this, everything they had sacrificed. All for nothing in the long run. It made her chest feel heavy and pained. Her breath hardly came to her.

Anonymous

Dunanana, Grand Entrance!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45:54 am »
Pittapattapittapatta
Padded paws carried her swiftly down the cold halls, nimbly avoiding the armed guards, various Mordecai, and bound mages milling about the building. Curious eyes followed after her; it wasn't often somebody was booking it down the halls. Well, unless perhaps they were a mage trying to escape, and if she weren't so well-known she'd probably have been tackled by now. The glint of silver bolted to her forehead was enough to brand her as a mage in service, but nobody gave her a suspicious look. That band had been on her forehead since she was a child, bolted into her nearly 23 years ago (though her appearance was that of a 16 year old). Of course she'd had to have new ones as she grew, and this was headband number...five was it?

Taking a turn a bit sharply, her blunt nails skittered across the floor, a slender hand holding the wide-brimmed witch hat onto her head. Instead of the usual black, it was bright pink, sitting against a full head of cream-colored hair which brushed her shoulders with loose waves. A heavy dark-green book bounced against her rump with every stride, held with a leather holster around her hips. Turning another corner, she nearly ran into the man she had been looking for, just barely sliding to a stop on those dainty pawed feet.
"Luka!"
Aha, found him! She straightened her bright blue skirt, long tufted tail wagging slowly behind her as she beamed at the Mordecai, her canines both top and bottom sharper than usual. She was breathing a bit hard, the white dress shirt she was wearing a bit rumpled from her run, a blue-stripped tie loose around her neck to match her skirt.
"I'm glad I found you! I heard you were lacking a mage, have you found a replacement yet?" Both of her mint green eyes brightened hopefully, the ring around her pupil further cementing the fact that the tan girl was definitely not human. Blinking then, she sort of leaned heavily to one side to see around her much taller companion (she herself being a whopping 5 foot nothing).
"Oh!" That was a mage! Unmistakable with the headband and all...though she looked like she was in some pain. I wonder if she's with Luka...? Drat, probably so...guess I missed my chance.
"Hey hey, are you okay miss? You're in bad shape!" Skirting Luka, she easily trotted up to the fellow mage, smiling gently as she held out a small hand.
"Would you like some help? I'm a mage like you, see?" She patted the headband with her other hand. "I've been through this too...let me help you walk."

(Ahh first post! *Flops*)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »
Luka let out a long sigh as he watched her climb to her feet, and for a few seconds he let her struggle--not for the sake of being an asshole but because he knew what it was like to have pride and she seemed to have it in spades. From what he gathered she was a fairly strong individual, he respected that in a person, and he had no intention of taking that away from her. This wasn't about dehumanizing her. He could never get behind that.

But there was pride and being strong and then there was just plain old stubbornness and stupidity and the girl was obviously hurting. Maybe she just hadn't fully recovered--but she was also holding her hand funny and Luka finally stepped back inside and gripped her by the shoulder.

"Hey, take it easy. Are you feeling okay? What's wrong with your hand?" Before she could answer, he grabbed for her wrist and pulled her hand up so he could inspect it, then frowned at her. "...What did you do? Get in a fight with the wall?"

That was when a familiar pitter-patter caught his ear just before an equally familiar voice called his name.

He knew that girl.

"Jinx!" Releasing Kyra's hand, Luka turned to smile at the girl, even if it was laced with concern, and before he could answer her question it seemed she had already figured it out. Observant as always; that girl had a good eye and a good feel for people. Luka stepped to the side so that she could see his mage better and get to her easier.

"That's Kyra. Kyra, this is Jinx," Luka introduced, watching the two. This might be good for Kyra, actually, meeting another mage--someone she might be able to relate to, someone who might be able to show her that this wasn't a horrible life. Jinx was perfect for it. Of all the mages, she was probably one of the most well-adjusted and helpful, an outstanding example of what a mage ought to be. "I don't think she's feeling well, and she hurt her hand. Can you do anything about that?"

Luka couldn't remember what the strange girl's power was.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:41 pm »
Kyra growled to herself when Luka sighed. He'd just have to take his good ol time waiting for her. It was too bad for him that his mage had damaged herself somehow. If she was lucky maybe she could pretend it was him and get him in trouble. She doubted that would happen though. Then he was asking her how she felt, his hand on her shoulder.

Her first reaction was to clock him. However there was something about the way he was checking on her. It didn't feel like he was faking, not that Kyra was the best judge of character...ever. Then he had grabbed her hand. His was dry, sort of warm and she was startled looking at him while he held her hand. There was a second where she wanted to cry while he had her hand. She wanted to beg him to tell her why her? Why him? She heard the sound of feet and he dropped her hand. She swallowed then answered his question.

"I might've. The wall looks better than it should trust me." She regained her composure when the other Mage showed up snapping back to her normal attitude like a rubber band. She looked this other Mage up and down a sort of sneer on her face as Jinx tried to be friendly, to help her walk. Kyra took a step back from her distrust in her eyes.

"I'm fine, I'll walk by myself Jinx." She accented Jinx's name a little hard showing her unhappiness. If someone was going to help her walk it would be Luka. One, she sort of knew him, at least more than anyone else. Two, if someone was going to have to suffer for her little outburst against a building it would be Luka the one intent on controlling her.

She took a step towards Luka her left hand coming up and touching his shoulder to steady herself. She closed more of the distance between him and stood next to him. She glanced at Jinx and felt a little bad as she looked at the shorter girl.

"Thanks for the offer."

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »
Despite the bit of venom in the fellow mage's voice, Jinx responded with a simple smile, and allowed her slender hand to fall back to her side. That was actually a rather good first meeting, considering some she'd had in the past.
"Okay Kyra! Well, it's nice to meet you!"
A chipper response as well, but Jinx wasn't faking it...no hard feelings! She could possibly be the most friendly, most optimistic person one would ever find on Mars...not to say she didn't have her flaws, but she worked very hard at being nice to everyone unless given a very good reason not to be. And quite frankly, a slightly snippy response from a new mage-slave was definitely not bad enough to make her get snippy right back.
Linking her hands behind her back, those pale mint eyes watched Luka and Kyra with a warmth that easily hid how sharp and observant her mind really was. Aw, well at least I'm helping them bond? She feels safer with Luka than she does with a stranger...and there are lots of strangers here...so hopefully that means Luka and Kyra will become a team that much faster! Although, it's still a bit depressing...I was hoping to catch Luka before he found another mage....I feel so useless when I don't have a Mordecai! I can't do a whole lot of anything without one...

"Hurt her hand? Hehe, punched the wall didn't you?" Again Jinx was smiling, but it was more one of understanding. Yeah, punching the wall, or other inanimate (and sometimes not so inanimate) objects was rather normal when one flew into the fit of rage that seemed to accompany these sorts of transitions...from free mage to bound one. Jinx hadn't gone through that...she'd come here from the space equivalent of Hell (aka TRIM) so this place was like a paradise. Sort of...well, most of the time!
"I'll do my best to help her! I've got some healing spells that should do the trick, just give me that mental nod of approval!"
Which was to say, allow her to use her magic by way of those nifty head bands. Truthfully though, Jinx was not super great at healing spells...she was more useful when performing dark artes and summoning spells. But for the sake of being useful, she had trained quite diligently to learn at least some basic healing. Which was enough for a poor exhausted mage and her bruised hand (guess the wall won eh?). She took a step forward with one of those small dog-like paws of hers, but then paused, her face scrunching up a bit with uncertainty, like a small child trying to decide if he really wants to grab that cookie he knows he's not supposed to have.
"Er...well...I think first I should ask permission. Cuz...you shouldn't ever use magick on someone without permission, right? So...Kyra, can I heal you? Please? With a cherry on top?"
She actually pressed her hands together in a pleading gesture, and did her best puppy-dog eyes...she'd even actually conjure a cherry for Kyra if she wanted! And maybe some ice cream to go with it...mm....ice cream.... (easily distracted much?)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:22:20 pm »
Yep, Jinx was perfect for the job, letting Kyra's venom roll off her like water off a duck's back. Sheesh, and he would have thought Kyra would be more receptive to one of her own people. He glanced at the fire mage when she braced herself against his shoulder, arching one brow, but made no move to shrug her off--though he also didn't try and touch her, just in case that ruined the moment. If anything, he was surprised she was simply supporting herself and not trying to punch him or something.

At least that meant she trusted him on some level? Maybe? A little?

Either way, her words sure didn't match her actions, saying she'd walk for herself but still needing his help. No matter, she might just be wary of Jinx. Jinx was one of them, after all. Still strange...

"No, you're not fine, Kyra," he muttered, frowning, before looking back to Jinx. Excellent, he should have figured she could do it! Giving her a small nod, he reached his consciousness out to her--and felt her own mind, felt the magic thrumming within her, held in check only by their connection, by just one little mental command. With another mental command, he unlocked her power but kept a tight "watch" on it, mind in tuned to hers. If she stepped wrong, he could plug that magic before a spell was even cast, but he trusted her. She wasn't like these other mages. She was practically grateful to be here.

Another Mordecai might have just "puppeteer-ed" her and forced her to use the magic, but with Jinx, Luka could take a more passive role. She would do it because she wanted to. He didn't have to make her.

Except...oh. She was asking Kyra's permission.

His hazel eyes flicked over to look at the smaller girl. "Jinx, you don't have to ask for permission. If she were bleeding out, I should hope you wouldn't have to ask her first. Just go ahead and heal her. You have my permission." Alright, maybe that was an extreme example because a bruised hand and...whatever the heck else Kyra had done to herself were certainly a far cry from being on the verge of death.

But it was a kinder way of saying there was really no such thing as consent among mages.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:40 am »
Kyra watched the two carefully her hand still on Luka's shoulder. She watched the exchange of permission. She felt a big lump rise into her throat. She'd never be able to use her magic again without someone else's permission. She swallowed hard. Those tears were still trying to break out. She hadn't cried yet and she refused to in front of him, and this other mage. She always felt stupid when she broke down, in front of people she cursed herself more.

Then Luka was answering for her. She glanced at him, suddenly realizing how close to him she was. He spoke and she bit her lip keeping back the fire of the answer that waited there. The one that said I answer for myself, not anyone else. Except that's not the way things were anymore. She took her hand off of his shoulder and moved towards Jynx instead. She was starting to feel the urge to punch him, hard.

"It's fine." her voice was monotone as she spoke to the other mage. She appreciated the asking first, she didn't want her to think she didn't.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »
(Lolz, I'm not sure if I should apologize for the delay in postage or not XD)

Oooo, there it was! That familiar prickle along the back of her neck, the sudden opening of the magick within her, the temporary freedom to do that which she was most skilled at....this was the part she liked best about having a Mordecai. Without one, she couldn't tap into that power that dwelled beneath the surface, like reaching out for a flame that only floated further away, always just out of reach. Some days, the frustration of it was enough to drive one mildly insane...reaching, reaching, and never touching...

"Oh, right...sorry Luka! It's been awhile, you know...since I last got to use magick." Not quite the proper excuse for asking permission where it wasn't needed, but she didn't want to try and explain that she was just being polite. All the same, as Kyra spoke to her, she just gave the wounded mage a wink. I know you appreciated the sentiment...sorry it got shot down by Luka, eheh. Well, all the same, she had permission from both parties regardless! Time to get to work!
I finally have something to do! Oh, happy day!

Grinning despite her best efforts not to look like a fool, Jinx wasted little time in unlatching that big green book from it's holster at the small of her back, holding it out in front of her with both dainty hands. The fact she was holding it so easily with her scrawny arms to begin with was rather amazing, considering the door-stopper of a book was a good four inches thick, with a hardy forest-green cover made out of what could potentially be reptilian skin (one might immediately think dragon, though that would be a rather rare book if it were covered in such a material). A moment later, and Jinx was letting go of the beastly book...which hovered quietly in place as she cracked it open, the pages quickly flipping by themselves as she watched. Okay, okay, healing spells...hmm....aha! The pages stopped turning, exposing ivory-colored paper and shimmering green ink in an odd language. Normally, she'd only have to speak a shortened incantation to use her spells, but since healing was most certainly not her forte, she'd need the full spell. And since she most definitely did NOT want to get it wrong (Kyra probably didn't want to suddenly find herself with a claw-arm after all) she opted for the safest option, which was reading it out of her Grimoire.
Ready, steady, go!

Speaking in a language that was most certainly arcane, eyes closed to help her concentrate, it only took a few moments for the soothing effects of her magick to wash over Kyra, quickly mending and knitting up her bruises and scuffs, whatever wounds she might have. Finishing the incantation, Jinx cracked open one mint eye, almost nervous.
"Hmm....did it work?"
I really hope I didn't give her a claw, ehehehe....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal