Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Who Knew [Solo Oneshot]  (Read 233 times)

Offline GoblinFae

Who Knew [Solo Oneshot]
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:43:56 pm »
A sharp knock at the door had Jain scuttling to answer it. The handled turned and she smiled warmly in greeting. "You're early!" she exclaimed before pausing and blinking in surprise. A mail courier smiled sheepishly in return, looking very much not who she was expecting. Jain quickly apologized, exchanging bland pleasantries as she scanned her chip over the monitor and collected her packages from him.

"Someone must really love you," he chirped at her with a knowing wink. "That small one has the cutest little noses that kept poking out at me. You should probably open it first," he continued with a laugh before waving goodbye.

Her brow furrowed in confusion as she shut the door and set the larger of the two packages along with the thick envelope on the table. The smaller one indeed had something living in it for she could feel and hear the poor dear scurrying about inside. Carefully, Jain popped the lid open and peered inside. Four beady little eyes stared back up at her from the furthest corner of the box. She smiled fondly at them and whispered a soft greeting before carefully closing the lid again.

"I'll be right with you little ones."

A quick glance at the time revealed she still had a good fifteen minutes or so before Cabe and Ren were due to arrive. That would be more than enough time to find out what the box and cute little furballs were all about. She tore into the letter quickly, her brows knitting further and further in confusion with each line she read.

"Pilot Echo Dau," she read aloud in a hurried murmur. "Please find enclosed the following items, bequeathed to you following the death of Pilot Echo Jesse River, pursuant to the instructions left in his Last Will and Testament. WHAT?" she shouted in confusion. "Jesse what kind of fool game are you playing with me this time?"

Her eyes skimmed almost unseeingly over the inventory before she was flipping the page to read the attached letter. Jain would recognize that handwriting anywhere. It really was Jesse. With each word she read, her eyes began to prickle and her throat tighten. Several places her voice cracked as she choked back ears but still continued to the end. Even in death he had still made her laugh and shake her head at him. She had had to take a moment and roll her eyes at whether fish had heartbeats or not.

"I love you too," Jain choked out, clutching the pages close to her chest. "Oh, Jeese-" no further words passed her lips as her legs turned to water forcing her to sink to the carpet in the middle of her living room. For several long minutes, Jain found herself fighting back the tears as she stared blindly at the ceiling. She needed to pull herself together. But, oh how her heart continued to shred and shatter with every breath.

Another look over the attorney's letter confirmed what Jesse had stated in his own letter regarding the contents of the larger box. With shaking hands and unfeeling determination she quietly worked at opening it and pulling out the metal walls of the disassembled cage. It seemed she had two more visitors to house than she had previously intended. The least she could do was to ensure they had a safe haven to run and play in rather than the small cardboard box with holes meant for temporary animal transport.

Tears blinded her quickly as she fought to lock the metal sides together and into the plastic base. Jain sniffled and gulped down the pain as best as she could but it was no use. With cage pieces scattered around her on the floor she broke down fully and completely. Her hands covered her face as she rocked back and forth on her knees, softly wailing now that the initial shock wore off and the truth sunk in.

Alcohol poisoning the paperwork had said. Jesse had died alone and been left to be discovered days later. What kind of friend was she to not have noticed, to not have reached out to him sooner, to have let his silence mean he was unwilling to forgive her? Had she driven him to this? Was she such a horrible monster that he had had to drink himself to death to escape the guilt she had made him feel for their last quarrel?

Jain's mind raced ahead without her as she desperately tried to process how this could have even happened. Of all the people she had lost, she had never dreamed that Jesse would be next and so soon. It was one thing to die in the field; there were so many risks that came with their job. But, Jesse had not died as he had hoped in some sting gone wrong or some shoot 'em up like in the movies. He had died alone when all it would have taken for the story to be changed was her showing up at his door and refusing to leave. Instead of making him those stupid cupcakes she should have tried to talk to him. She should have done something. Anything would have done to make sure he was okay. Why hadn't she done something?

In the space of five minutes her world had come crashing down around her and everything else was forgotten. Nothing else mattered when Jain felt so incredibly small and alone in the world again. How could it when she had lost a dear loved one? Each breath was a struggle as her heart hammered against her ribs, feeling as if it would tear right out of her chest. Jain almost wanted it to if it meant the end of her pain, the end of her grief and sorrow.

"Jesse, I'm so sorry. Please don't be gone. Please I'm sorry. I'll be a better friend just don't leave me. Oh goddess, why? Why Jesse? Why did it have to be him? Why like this? No, no, no, no," she murmured through the heavy sobs, not even realizing how she begged and cried aloud as she was deaf to everything save the unending beat of her own heart.

KNOCK KNOCK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal