Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Land of Training and Darkness [Liiioooon!!!]  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Nix

Land of Training and Darkness [Liiioooon!!!]
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:35:47 pm »
Windsor was a bit of a marvel, at least in regards to avoiding the bullies and torment that often accompanied stage 2. When he closed his eyes he could see things and people around him through what he called 'mapping'. It worked kind of like psychic echo location and it allowed him to tell what kind of vibes were worth avoiding, and which people. He blinked a few times but his one contact was moving and really just annoying him today. He was at a point where he wondered why he was bothering with them. His eyesight was shit these days and it wasn't going to get better. He had been told that he would most likely be completely blind before he could even hope to graduate and by then there would be no hope of saving his eyesight. On top of that the odds were a lot lower he that he would graduate if he couldn't see.

Part of him wanted to give into the inevitability that he would be TRIM'd, but he was too stubborn to just give up. If there was a shot he was going to take it. So when he had gotten a new mentor about a month ago he hoped that the Pilot Royal would be able to help him. So far Pilot Royal Lockhart just seemed to hate mentoring.

Windsor cracked his eyes open so that he could check if the Pilot had sent him a message. He was pretty early, but just wanted to make sure nothing had changed. Pilots often got pulled away on missions even when they had plans to meet with you. It was just a fact. No. That message was just the chatroom. He really should just quit that. He barely ever read it anyway, it hurt his eyes a lot. He let them close and watched the few others in the large training hall go about their business. 

Offline Lion

Re: Land of Training and Darkness [Liiioooon!!!]
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:05:16 pm »
But seconds later if he would check it again, there would be a message.

"HEY! I've been standing in the gym for FIVE MINUTES! WHERE ARE YOU???"

Banning closed his comm and took off the watch that had been secured to his wrist. No he wasn't fond of mentoring, and he wasn't one to come off as a hard-ass, but when he was punctual and his candidate wasn't, he wasn't happy.

And if he wasn't happy, his Candidate probably wasn't going to be happy either. 

Offline Nix

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »
Another notification. Maybe he should just silence his com, ones from Pilot Royal Lockhart would still sound regardless so- shit. He looked down at the rather angry message and then scrolled up to double check. No. They definitely agreed to meet where he was sitting. Not that there was any arguing with a Pilot Royal. He squinted and typed a short 'I'm sorry sir. I was sitting at the north end of the training hall by the water dispensers. Must have misread where we were going to meet. I am headed to you now.'

There was also no point in arguing that he was still a good fifteen minutes early. Clearly the Pilot was not in a great mood. Neither was Windsor, but his own mood didn't matter. He picked up his things and headed across the edge of the training hall, walking with his eyes closed and trying to avoid being in anyone's way. He was doing a good job of it too until his foot knocked something over. From the sound of it it was one of those metal drink thermoses. Shit. He hadn't seen it on the floor. Smaller inconsequential objects with no embued energy didn't show up when he was mapping. Windsor opened his eyes and picked up the thermos, though some of the liquid had already spilled out. Still it obviously didn't seem important- or so he thought till he found himself slammed against the wall by a telekinetic force.

His head felt like it had split in two, it had been hurting before the impact with the wall and this certainly didn't help matters. He squinted but could barely see who had attacked him as he slid down the wall to his feet. He closed his eyes to be met with the sort of energy he would normally avoid at all costs.

"What the fuck do you think you are doing you asshole?! Why don't you watch where you are going??!!" The figure's energy pulsated with rage as they shouted at Windsor. Probably a stage 3 candidate as they seemed to act higher than him and there were a few others just watching. "OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES!"

Windsor cracked them open again, squinting up at the other higher ranked candidates, though he could barely make them out he knew there were five of them right around him. "I am sorry. It was clumsy of me and rather careless. It won't happen again. I am running late for a meeting with my mentor though so please excuse me." He said just trying to get out of the situation.

Offline Lion

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:59:40 am »
Whoops!  He supposed he had told him earlier to meet him by the water dispensers. Banning cursed himself and slipped the phone back into his pocket. Maybe he just didn't want to admit being wrong but what kind of mentor would he be if he let his Candidate believe he could just go wherever he wanted. All he really knew of Candidate Annsley was his medical and psychiatric records.

Banning wasn't any good at this. It was a mistake that was too late to take back now, however.

All he could do now was wait.  But already his patience was wearing thin. Not because of Candidate Annsley. Just because sometimes his condition made him ornerny. At least he'd eaten well and rubbed one out this morning. Two less things to worry about.

Yeah, he wasn't going to wait for him. So Banning marched off from the gym to go and meet his Candidate instead. The northern end of the hall wasn't that far off.

Offline Nix

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »
Windsor found himself slammed against the wall again as he tried to walk past the group. He winced slightly and shut his eyes, trying to identify which of them had just pushed him back again. "...you are pretty strong if you can move other psychic's like that. It would be an honor to train with you but I really do have to meet my mentor now." Don't engage them, just keep being polite and get out of here, keep your thoughts guarded.

"He's just trying to get out of a proper apology." One of them scoffed. Whether that one read his mind or just deduced it Windsor couldn't tell.

"I did apologize. And I am late-" He explained before taking a punch to the face.

Offline Lion

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:01 pm »
Fifteen minutes here was also fifteen minutes there. And even with Banning's long stride he wouldn't get there faster than say 12 minutes.  By minute 6 however, he had a bad feeling growing inside of him.

The hall still stretched another 9 minutes by walk, 5 by sprint.  And the bodies that began to pollute the hallway, at least in this direction, maybe 6. Banning could feel something growing intensely wrong, and when Windsor was struck hard in the face, the red vibration echoed in pale stripes in his mind.

He dashed off at once, moving past people and running faster than most men, even Pilots could. Boots slammed against the ground until he rounded the corridor, left then right. 3 minutes.  And closed his eyes to push a telekinetic force against the other five that were about to strike Windsor once again.

"Get the hell of my Candidate," Banning growled and took one of the Stage 3's by the collar.  "Or pick on someone your own size, pal.  And I suggest you brush your teeth.  You still have egg salad in them."  And pushed him off.

"Leave," he commanded.  "Now. Or there's going to be a real fucking problem."

Offline Nix

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:00:51 pm »
Pain blossomed as did the red swelling on his cheek but he turned his head offering the other cheek to the candidate that struck him. The gesture seemed to baffle the others to the point where he heard one of them say "Let's just go." And then they were thrown back. Strange he hadn't done that.

With his eyes closed he could see the force that had done it but couldn't seem to locate the source. He turned to face the wall some trying to extend his mapping in that direction. Ah. Pilot Royal Lockhart. Shit. He was probably going to get in more trouble. He could see the other running towards him only because of the sheer energy behind the other's movements. Normally that would extend past his range, though it was getting better. And Pilot Royal Lockhart was really on the move.

In fact, he was there and grabbing one of the other candidates just as he started to come up behind Windsor again. The exchange between his mentor and the others was not something he had expected. He was a stage 2 candidate and he had heard stories of some mentors being a bit protective if they liked you but mostly they didn't care if you were beat up till you were stage 3 or higher. The others were scrambling to leave and the one Banning had grabbed was stammering a pathetic apology, obviously quite shocked. No one dare talk back to a Pilot Royal, especially not after the Pilot Cnyte incident. Punishments for insubordination had worsened almost back to Rosales-esque levels now that Pilot Echo Sheehy-Matthers was in charge, a surprise to most candidates since he had always been one of the more easy going instructors.

Windsor could 'see' the expressions on the stage 3 candidate's face as the other got back to his feet and grabbed his thermos. Fear, but he could see the rage radiating off of the other and it was directed right at Windsor.

"Pilot Royal Lockhart Sir. I apologize for being late. It was my fault. As well as being tardy I disrupted these candidates who were merely training. My apologies to you all."

Offline Lion

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:06:29 pm »
No, no one ever spoke back to a Pilot Royal that way before. It wasn't that Banning was counting on his rank to protect him from retaliation. He knew that these punks wouldn't mess with him anyway, being far less trained and strong than he was. As they skittered away like roaches from a kitchen light, he huffed and shook himself of the rage that broiled just underneath.

And now here Annsley was...apologizing?  For what?

Banning quickly put a hand up.  "Stop," he said, shaking his head. "I hate little punks like that. Yeah, the Candidate program is cutthroat, but five to one is straight up being a dick.  Don't worry about a thing, Candidate Annsley.  Those little fucks will learn to toe the line soon enough."

Banning pat the boy on the shoulder.  "I think I just figured out my lesson for today.  Let's get your nose patched up, and then head to the training rooms."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:06:47 pm by Lion »

Offline Nix

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:47 pm »
He didn't disagree with five against one being unfair but he often found that was how bullies worked. They usually liked an entourage following them so they could feel big. He didn't feel fighting the system would help though. All he needed to do was make sure he graduated. He was fairly certain that if those kinds of candidates even managed to graduate they would have a very rude awakening once they became Pilots.

Still, it was nice to know he had a mentor who at least seemed to care about his well being. Well, more so than him not being dead. Wait... his nose? Was that where the pain in his face was coming from? Windsor reached up to touch his nose and that was a bad idea. It was really sore, almost more so then his head, but headaches he was used to powering through. It felt... broken, definitely out of place, and he hadn't even realized it was bleeding. Maybe he should have fought back. Windsor looked up at his mentor, even though his eyes were closed. "Yeah that sounds like a good plan sir."

Offline Lion

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:46 pm »
Banning wasn't going to let his Candidate bleed out all over the place. Especially not when he was supposed to be taking care of the poor sap. Regardless the trip to the infirmary was a short one, Banning dragging Windsor along the hall so the kid wouldn't run into a wall, or another fist - heaven forbid.

The nurse settled Windsor into the examination room, and Banning waited in the door way.  "It's just a little crick. We'll have to break it back to settle it into place. Is that okay with you, Candidate Annsley?" the nurse replied.

Banning tilted his head. "Are you sure that's the only solution?"

"Unless he doesn't want to breath along with not being able to see, I'd say yes."

Offline Nix

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 01:09:25 pm »
Windsor was fairly certain he could find his way around even through the pain but he was fine with letting Pilot Royal Lockhart lead him. He stayed pretty silent the whole way to the infirmary and even as he was examined. He looked at both the nurse and his mentor with his eyes closed. "It's fine. If we don't do it my glasses won't sit right and my contacts are more trouble than they are worth as it is." He said putting on a brave and stoic face. He wasn't a glutton for pain but he knew it was inevitable anyway, there was no point whining about it.

Offline Lion

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:18 pm »
Frankly, Banning was surprised that Windsor made no complaint at the concept of having to rebreak his nose to fix a broken nose. He pursed his lips and nodded in a small ounce of respect. There was no use to stopping the matter further. The boy would only learn through action.

The nurse was quick and snapped it back into place.  Banning watched with interest, wondering at Windsor's capacity for pain.  When the deed was done and the nose was patched up, with cotton puffs sticking from his nostrils, Banning laughed and he clapped Windsor on the shoulder.

"You know, you're a strange kid. You don't even cry. Or scream. Why?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 10:56:18 pm »
He forced himself to stay still while the nurse snapped his nose back in place, though he did inhale sharply and he dug his nails into the palms of his hands. But it was over quick. The whole area around his face hurt and he was just glad he didn't have to look at himself. He had never been particularly vain like most Aedolian teenagers, there was little point to it since he could barely see his reflection anyway, but he figured he probably looked a mess now.

He had been about to jump off the exam table when Banning clapped him on the shoulder. He turned towards his mentor and opened his eyes, a task that actually hurt more than normal due to the extra pain in his face. He wanted to cry or scream sometimes but... "I just don't see the point I guess." He muttered looking at his mentor's blurry face. "It doesn't change anything and its just indulging self pity isn't it?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
"That's an interesting outlook," Banning muttered, crossing his arms. He noticed his Candidate's eyes and he pulled up a rolling stool from the side of the exam room beside a desk and sat in front of Windor. The nurse didn't look pleased to have him in there, either of them, having some kind of casual conversation. But she went about her business, filling out one form or another.

"How bad is your vision, exactly?" he asked, waving his hands in front of Windsor's face. "And why has nobody bothered to fix it? It's not like people really need glasses anymore.   Except, I guess if you're a candidate, you'll just have to suffer through. Is that it?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:44 pm »
"My parents didn't have the money for the surgery... and I can see you waving your hand in front of my face but it's blurry. I will probably be completely blind in about two years at this rate, and last I heard the government won't pay for my surgery unless I become graduate. Of course by that time I will be past the point of surgery helping so its a moot point." He forced himself to stay calm as he explained it. "It makes sense though. No point throwing away money on a candidate if they just end up getting shipped off to TRIM right?"

He let his eyes closed and watched as the nurse filled out the forms, she was obviously annoyed. "Shall we go train now Pilot Royal Lockhart?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 11:29:40 pm »
"And it never occurred to them that fixing your eyes might actually guarantee their investment? Of course not," Banning scoffed. Yeah yeah, it wasn't becoming to talk ill of the government right in the ATC, but the nurse didn't seem to give a shit and even gave an audible sigh to know it was time for them to leave.

So Banning stood and offered to help Windors up. But, he soon retracted his hand and allowed Annsley to walk on his own out to one of the psychic training rooms. It was still early and some of the other Candidates had gone off on their own now. Banning ignored them and maneuvered around the kid.

"All right. Look I'm new at this whole mentoring thing, Annsley.  So, I'm gonna need you to help me as much as you need help yourself. So...what kinds of things was your last mentor showing you?" he asked.

Offline Nix

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 12:49:06 am »
It was nice to hear a Pilot talk that way. Like he wasn't just another sheep who may or may not be thinned from the herd. Windsor stood up of his own accord. His head was killing him and if he was completely honest he was really dizzy too but at least mapping didn't make him dizzier. It was much easier with his eyes closed.

He followed Banning to one of the training rooms, navigating around the few others they came across with a soft, 'excuse me' here and there when necessary. Once they were there he had to admit he was feeling a bit drained but he had to power through things before. It was part of what being a candidate was right? At least he didn't have it as bad as Val.

"Well... to be fair I don't think my last mentor knew the best way to train me. He was very focused on my telekinesis and telepathy. I don't think he knew what to make of the 'mapping'. He mostly made me train with my eyes open."

Offline Lion

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:16:53 am »
Banning could understand that plight, and he grunted with a small sense of sympathy for the Candidate. He didn't come here to feel sorry for anybody, Banning knew you couldn't help everyone. You had to learn to survive or you were going to be steamrolled by everyone and everything. Some lessons were just learned the hard way.

Mapping...  He'd read Annsley's file. And it was no wonder that his previous mentor had given up on him. A frown set into the corner of his mouth. "I had a similar problem.  I'm vibrokinetic. I can read vibrations, both from sound and from people. Although people are easier as they give off a lot of energy."

Banning stood beside Windor and he could feel the kinetic vibrations stemming off of objects in the room. No doubt Hyperion could feel them too, but he was obviously less interested in them. Most of it was sealed down to prevent accidents. Perfectly understandable.  "All right Candidate.  When you begin mapping, how are you feeling?  And please be as specific as possible."

Offline Nix

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:15:25 am »
So Banning at least seemed to have a better understanding of what he was going through. Vibrokinetic huh?

Windsor opened his eyes and blinked a bit. "How I feel?" No one had ever asked him that before. He closed his eyes again and took a deep breath. "It feels like... I'm not sure how to describe it really. Everything is dark... But it feels like I am thinking really hard, even though it's automatic. And then I can 'see' it's more like outlines and colors though... If I try to see in greater detail than that I get really bad migraines."

Offline Lion

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:28 am »
"All right, Candidate, let's try something," Banning said as he got up from beside Windsor and stepped out onto the field.  He backed away approximately 15 feet and stood with legs spread out and his arms apart to cover a wider area.

"Map me. And only me. Not the room.  Start with the basics, like how far away I am, my size and shape. Don't overwhelm yourself. Just go a little at a time, Annsley.  Just focus on me."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal