Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Chasing the past [Theo]  (Read 2550 times)

Jenny

Re: Chasing the past [Theo]
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 05:03:13 pm »
Tabea almost smiled when she realized she'd startled him, but figured she should play it safe and not laugh at the first person willing to help her, though her amusement was more childish than cruel. And there were more pressing matters at hand- she may have offended him. "Ah!" she started, frowning again. "Sorry I didn't mean... Just, there are a lot of nonhumans where I'm from and you seemed.." she shrugged. There was something different about him, something superhuman, her intuition was asserting. And when had her intuition ever failed her?

She had to know for sure, and the only way she could know was by touch. She reached out and placed her hand on his shoulder. Ah, so he was human. But there was more.. a virus? Unlike one she had ever sensed. Not an illness, per se...  "You are... human," Tabea added.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Rastul

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »
Theo stiffened upon being touched, and there was a crack underneath the robe. His hands had ground the two magnetic balls to shards, and pieces of metal and circuit fell to the ground from underneath his cloak. His hands were also bleeding, but the very exposure of blood to air was already causing it to clot, and in a few minutes there would be no cut whatsoever. Thus, no blood accompanied the metal pieces as they fell to the floor.

"Yes. I suppose I am human." He spoke through gritted teeth, his body language indicating that perhaps she should take her hand off his shoulder. His lips were drawn back in a predatory leer, but this was hidden beneath the collar of his cloak that obscured his face. His nostrils dilated, sniffing, searching for the source of sweetness .. but he did not move an inch from his spot, rooted there by will.

Jenny

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »
The cracking sound surprised Tabea but she didn't react or even realize what it was. She was too busy focusing on Theo's seemingly angered expression. Since she had her hand on him, she could feel that his muscles tightened and his posture changed, tensing as soon as she touched him. She could even sense his facial muscles enough to comprehend the expression he made- the leer.. But she also felt him resisting. Resisting what? It all came to her in one jumbled blur, like there was too much information to sort through in terms of his virus, his body, and she didn't have the time to figure it out, nor was she welcome to.

Tabea dropped her hand at long last, frowning as she moved backwards. She had overstepped her boundaries-- too used to people wanting her to use her magic because she was a head doctor for the military in Aedolis. "Sorry," she managed before blurting out- "Are you ill?" Shit. Tabea knew she shouldn't have said that, but... It was the doctor side of her that felt the need to impose. "I'm.. a doctor, maybe there is something I can do in return for your help.."

Rastul

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »
"I don't think I'm sick." Theo's voice was quiet, strained from the exertion.

He brushed a single bead of sweat that had run down the side of his face, and instead of wiping it on his clothes, brought it to his lips. It was a well practice gesture, done from habit. He pulled his cloak higher, to hide the sheen of perspiration. The wind blew down the tunnel, past Tabea first, washing away his scent down the halls and into the dark beyond.

Jenny

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »
"Okay," Tabea said, quieting at last and casting her gaze downwards as a mixture of guilt and regret swept over her. She shouldn't have acted the way she did, in fact she was sure she was only making things worse by interfering in such a way and using her power when it was not welcome and when he didn't even know she was doing it. It was not her place, though in all honesty, Tabea was just trying to help.

She looked up again as a wind blew down the tunnel, focusing her eyes on the man and suddenly feeling a physical longing for him. The feeling surprised her and made her, in a way, uncomfortable. It was so sudden. Tabea said nothing, just looked at him almost entranced.

Rastul

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 06:45:04 pm »
Although clarifying the issue did not come to him, Theo had no cause to feel offended, nor did he feel that his space was violated. Her touch on his shoulder, the first in a long while, had cause a simultaneous rush of feelings, an outlet and yet a source of frustration at the same time. He could still feel the way her fingers, all four of them, rested on his shoulder.

In any case, his body language did not send out resentment. He had long become accustomed to the symbiotic relationship with the virus, to the point where it was hard to remember whether or not he had always been like this. However, his resistances to the primal urges were always a stark reminder of the reality of the situation.

He turned away from her to face the door. "Your parents .. they may have only recently left." A scent, similar to the girl who stood before him, faintly lingered on the furniture, mixed with the dust of age. He heaved a sigh, uncharacteristicall y. Theo was no detective; he had no idea what to do next.

Jenny

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
The physical urge dissipated steadily, fading away until she was unsure that it had ever been there. It made Tabea confused and uncertain, two emotions which rarely befell her. She shrugged them off as the man turned away and began addressing the subject of her parents again. She clung to the subject immediately, almost desperately, relieved to hear that her parents might not be dead but only left their home. And recently, at that. There was a good chance they were alive.

"I don't know where they would have gone," Tabea admitted, sighing as well. "My mother used to own a clinic. I don't know what's happen since those days, though. It's been eleven years..." She considered it for a moment before taking a seat on an old chair nearby. "All this way from Haviah and I'm not even sure for what.."

Rastul

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
Theo was not suited for consoling or giving life advice. He sensed that the end of his usefulness had come, and the only thing he could do was stand in front of the door to the dwelling, alternating between looking fixedly into its depths or sneaking glances at his companion's crestfallen face.

"..."

He sat down as well, a little heavily, dislodging dust from the sofa nearby. It was true that there was a bit of dust on the surroundings, but it did not seem to be too thick or old.

"Perhaps .."

"Perhaps you can ask around? Do you remember anyone who you could go to?"

Jenny

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:46 pm »
Tabea hadn't any expectations for the man, certainly not any consolation, though perhaps a suggestion. Mostly, she was speaking out loud, and for whatever reason she felt she could trust this man. It wasn't a matter of thinking him to be kind and trustworthy, more of an assertion that the man was indifferent in some sort of superior manner that was not cruel but just was. He hadn't shown any bias either to help her or harm her, just.. Reacted. That seemed to suit Tabea fairly well.

"I do, but..." Tabea leaned back in the seat and looked up at the ceiling pensively. "I don't believe they'd welcome me readily. I left Teinar, I betrayed my community in doing so," she said in a matter-of-fact tone, hardly begging sympathy. "If they recognized me.. it could be dangerous."

Rastul

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »
So that was why. Theo crossed his legs and also turned his gaze to the ceiling. Actually, he had wanted to ask about her rather curious origins - why did she hail from Haviah, so far away, and how did she even manage to get here? A small smile floating underneath his cloak; something of a prodigal daughter, perhaps?

"In my time here," he grunted as he stood up and brushed the dust off his clothes, "I've noticed .. that the people of Teinar, although they are a 'community' (and here he said the word with a hint of skepticism) are fickle creatures." His gaze penetrated the wall of the adobe and went far beyond. "That's how the desert is."

A blink dispelled the whimsical, nostalgic expression on his face.

"Let's go ask someone." He had already switched from 'you' to 'us'. Theo pulled the collar of his cloak down, exposing a white-toothed grin with very sharp canine teeth. At that moment he seemed to forget his troubles, almost seeming thuggish. It seemed that he was looking forward to the potential of conflict. Teinar people were rough, and scraps were common.

Jenny

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 04:56:08 am »
Tabea looked over once more as the man began speaking, the most he had spoken since she'd met him. His words were somewhat surprising. The last time she had been here, she had been a mere child and she'd understood little about the community beyond what she could see, beyond how people treated her in particular. But attempting to look back on her past, she felt that the man's words were not inaccurate. The community was not really all it seemed, though it was at the center of their belief system and they clung to it, perhaps to find comfort.

Since he'd been so insightful, Tabea didn't anticipate it when the man lowered his cloak and grinned at her. She smiled back, realizing his use of the plural first which meant he would be sticking around. Though, she was not as excited for conflict as the man, but it wouldn't be a problem. She had been a soldier for years before becoming a doctor. "Alright. That seems to be the only option left," she agreed, standing and leading the way outside.

Rastul

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:34 am »
Theo also found his outburst to be uncharacteristicall y warm. Normally he was inclined to leave others alone, and if they did the same for him it was more than enough for his quiet existence. As he followed her outside, he wondered: why was he feeling so inclined? The usual myriad of excuses popped up in his head: bored, nothing to do, might as well, looks like a lost kitten ..

Ah .. the stale air in Teinar had all but washed away whatever artificial scent that was in her hair soap. The natural sweetness left behind pulled him, made his legs fall into step behind hers, following the rhythm of her steps. His bluster and grin waned, but despite it all, he still followed her.

"Do you remember anyone you could ask?"

Jenny

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19:58 am »
At the man's question, Tabea quietly reflected on her earlier years in Teinar. Back then, she'd had many friends and acquaintances. She had known every resident of her neighborhood, if not through her parents' relations then through her own or through her brother. The stipulations, though, were what made the search difficult. She needed someone who would not reject her as a traitor but be willing to help, and who would also have kept in touch with her family enough to know where they were. It was a tricky situation, and she wasn't sure if she could think of anyone who met every circumstance.

Another quiet moment passed before she stopped in her tracks. "Oh!" she said suddenly, as the perfect candidate came to mind. "I know,"  Tabea started, spinning about to face the man, "My brother.. His best friend, a good family friend of our's, he would know. And he used to live in the slopes." The Slopes was a neighborhood in a lower part of the caverns- it was the slums, for lack of a better word. She hadn't been there in many years, but her family had always told her to be wary when she visited. Tabea wondered if it had grown worse over the past eleven years, or been erradicated.

Rastul

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:14 am »
Back to being silent, Theo split off from following her at a fork in the tunnel, starting down the path before stopping to put his chin on his shoulder, glancing back at her. It was a summons to follow. The vines that curled around the ceiling where less gardened along this route; they would sometimes snake to the bottom and back up, their usual place at the top of the tunnels lost from generations of neglect. However, the path was still clearly lit, and still seemed somewhat cheerful. Loud shouts and clangs intermittently sounded from below.

Jenny

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 05:16:55 pm »
Since he hadn't spoken out, it took Tabea a moment to realize that her guide had ceased in following her and headed down the opposite side at the split in the tunnel. She turned quickly when she realized the lack of his presence and saw his slight gesture. Registering it as a beckoning of sorts, Tabea hurried up to him, having fallen behind a bit. "You should lead," she admitted almost bashfully, though the tone she adopted was more embarrassment and reluctance to admit her lack of knowledge in the area, rather than a shyness. "You know the area better, it seems.. Have you always lived here?"

Rastul

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
Theo rolled a shrug into his walk as they moved down into the tunnel. It ever so gently sloped downwards, and at many points it would split off into large, yawning, brightly lit caverns, where the bustle and vigor of vagabond life made itself home. Bartering was a brisk trade, and food was often swapped for services or machines. A few catcalls accompanied his sightings, but they were more acknowledgement of his presence than anything else.

"Not long. A few of your years, maybe? I crash landed from ---"

He stopped suddenly in the tunnel. How foolish of him! Such a simple fact that he had held close to him, an answer he had routinely dodged on a 'dont ask, dont tell' policy, blurted out just for the sake of companionship. Female companionship. He turned around, his eyebrows arching downwards to reflect what must have been an embarrassed smile hidden underneath the cloak.

"That's just my stomach talking." Unusually loquacious. "Want to stop for food?"

Jenny

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »
Tabea listened quietly and carefully to the man's words, eager to hear what he had to say about himself. This man was almost a complete mystery to her, and just as it seemed that she would have some information to grasp onto (And as a doctor, she always wanted information at her fingertips, needed it), he cut himself off and stopped walking. She stopped as well, almost mirroring his actions though she tilted her head to the side and shot a curious, questioning expression his way. She was not sure why he had cut himself off, but if the man had his secrets, she would not fault him for it. She hadn't been particularly honest at the start, trying to hide her own secrets, and she still had secrets left to protect. Everyone had secrets.

At the offer of food, Tabea nodded. "Sure, that's a good idea. We might even run into him on the way. If not, there will be plenty of people to ask. His name's Kale."

Rastul

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »
Theo moved down into one of the wide caverns, stuffing a pair of plugs into both his ears and nostrils as he did so. It was apparent why: as soon as one crossed the threshold into the space, they were assaulted with the loud signature of the vigor of life.

He approached a stall - they seemed familiar with him, and the vendor handed him a brown package, raw meat wrapped in butcher's paper. He had a long standing relationship with this fellow - the ultrasharp minerals he brought back allowed him to efficiently cut meat, and his profits had soared ever since their trading relationship was established.

"KALE?"

A few heads turned to look. He had misjudged his volume, since he seldom spoke, and his utterance of a single word was surprising enough for many. His tone was commanding, and deep. The vendor gave the single word some thought and pointed deeper into the cavern. Satisfied with this answer, Theo turned to face Tabea, gesturing to nearby stalls from which she could get cooked food.

Jenny

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »
Tabea trailed behind the man, whose actions quickly had her mind focusing once more on his peculiar habits and wondering about his story, who he was, what she had sensed when she'd touched him. His choice of food, which seemed to be raw meat, had her arching her brows in surprise- though nothing would have prepared her for his sudden bellowing of 'Kale'. She blinked and then cast her gaze down quickly as several people looked over, not wanting to risk being recognized by anyone, though somewhere mixed in with her nervousness and caution, she was amused at the sudden outburst from the man. She chuckled a bit, hiding it behind her hand as she followed him.

"Ah. That was.. Loud," she teased a bit, smiling as they approached food stalls. She went to the first stall she saw, and ordered a simple stew which she recalled loving as a child. After paying, she led the way to a nearby eating area. Tabea took her seat and put the bowl down. "At least we know where he is now."

Rastul

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:00 pm »
"REAL BUSI-ness lays in bed alongside - crime down here." Theo sat down next to her and unwrapped the packet on the table - a fair sized cut of some sort of meat. Most of the time it came from one of the larger rodents that wandered out of the dark areas in the underground tunnels. Alongside it lay some freshly picked greens. He undid is cloak - the sand-skin suit underneath, and placed it, folded alongside him. His body was somewhat gaunt, but powerful, and the fingers were thin, wiry, scarred. Opening his mouth, he took a large bite out of the steak; his teeth slid cleanly through the meat, and he did not have to tear at it like predators normally would.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal