Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Our conversations are like minefields [Toori]  (Read 5908 times)

Jenny

Re: Our conversations are like minefields [Toori]
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:10 pm »
Jaxon smiled back as Toori grinned brightly at him, asking him 'Where's the fun in that?'. He didn't bother to answer, too busy thinking that this was not the introverted and closed off person he'd met and observed three weeks ago when they'd met.. Not the person he'd been waiting for, to smile. He was glad that he'd gotten closer to Toori and they were here now, joking around. Jaxon held back a laugh as he watched Toori put in the rest of the spices without asking his help. It was probably much, much better off that way, he thought as he brushed stray seasoning off his shirt.

When he looked up again, Toori was asking him for help.. Well, sort of. More like challenging him. Had they not just established his incapability? he thought, about to point that out. But upon seeing Toori's smirk and realizing he was being teased, Jaxon lightly elbowed Toori out of the way, "Of course I can." He reached for a ladle which was resting on the counter and took a large helping of the soup. As he raised the bowl, about to pour the soup in, Jaxon accidentally grazed his forearm against the edge of the pot which was very hot. In reaction, he jumped a bit, and there went all of the soup.

Perhaps he shouldn't have been so cocky, he had to think, as the soup splashed on his shirt. "Shiiit!" he exclaimed- flailing- as the hot liquid met skin, mindful enough to place the bowl and ladle down before pulling the shirt over his head. Dripping shirt in hand, he looked up at Toori pathetically.

"Please never let me anywhere near your kitchen, ever again," he managed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

chelle

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »
Toori stood back and put his hands on his hips as he watched Jaxon pick up the ladle. And all right, so Jaxon hadn't done so well with the spices, but it was understandable that Jaxon didn't know how much spice to add to a stew. Anyone could ladle soup into a bowl, though, or at least that was what Toori had assumed.

Toori, apparently, was wrong.

When Jaxon flailed and cursed Toori jumped, eyes widening as he watched the bowl of soup spill all down Jaxon's front. Jaxon whipped his shirt off and held it out in one hand, and then looked up with the most pathetic expression Toori had ever seen on Jaxon.

"Are you okay?" he asked, eyebrows knit in concern as he grabbed a towel off of the counter and handed it to Jaxon. This accident was less funny, because he knew Jaxon could have been hurt, but he also knew that as soon as the danger passed it would start being.

"Here, I'll take care of this," he said, stepping forward and pulling the wet shirt from Jaxon's fingers. He spared a glance at Jaxon's bare chest, he was thin and pale except for where the hot soup had spilled, which was flushed red, "I'll get you a new shirt too." Toori headed out of the kitchen, but stopped in the doorway, looking over his shoulder with a small smile, "And don't touch the stew."

Jenny

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »
Jaxon nodded absently as Toori asked him if he was okay, laughing a little in spite of himself as he took the towel and ran it down his front. He hadn't been burned, just irritated, because he hadn't spilled that much soup on himself and he'd taken his shirt off so fast. When Toori told him not to touch the stew, Jax looked up to meet his gaze and laughed. "Yeah, definitely not," he agreed easily, finishing cleaning himself off before dabbing at the soup that had spilled on the floor.

Done with the towel, he placed it in the sink and ran some water over it, effectively getting the soup out of it, before placing it down to dry off. He leaned back against the counter, awaiting Toori's return, and found himself chuckling a little, thinking about all the insanity that took place in the kitchen.

chelle

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
Toori rushed to put the soiled shirt in the washing machine and then darted upstairs to dig through Jaxon's bags for a clean shirt. He returned to kitchen several minutes later, handing the new shirt to Jaxon. Then he busied himself with the stew, carefully ladling it into three bowls, smiling to himself all the while. He went to a drawer to get three spoons and then handed one bowl and spoon to Jaxon, leaving two on the counter. He picked up one and looked down into it for a moment.

"I'm gonna take this one to Grandfather," he said, moving a few steps towards the door and then hesitating, glancing back at Jaxon. He opened his mouth to say something but hesitated again, closing his mouth and then moving a couple more steps before stopping again.

"Do you want to meet him?" he asked finally, pushing out the question before he could second-guess himself anymore.

Jenny

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »
Jaxon pushed off the counter as Toori reentered the room, immediately taking the shirt and thanking him before slipping it on. He straightened out the shirt and rearranged his messy hair for a moment before turning his attention back on the blond. Toori was (successfully) spooning the soup into the bowls, smiling to himself a bit.. Which naturally made Jaxon smile as well, though he hid it behind his hand, a little embarrassed of how much he was enjoying himself.

When Toori said he'd bring food to his grandfather, Jaxon looked up, his expression serious, and nodded. It seemed like the other didn't want him to meet his grandfather, and he didn't want to push it so he remained silent. At least until Toori offered. "Of course!" Jaxon announced happily, trailing behind Toori.

chelle

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:47 pm »
Toori led the way down the hall, his hands tight around the bowl. It wasn't that he didn't want Jaxon to meet his grandfather, actually, he was fairly sure they would get along famously. It was just that Jaxon already knew the extent of his grandfather's illness, and knew exactly how much Toori was affected by it. In some ways, Jaxon knew it better than his grandfather did-- because Toori always attempted to be cheery in the presence of his grandfather. He was apprehensive about Jaxon finally seeing for himself that it was all real, and Toori having to see the sympathy in Jaxon's face as he realized how completely helpless Toori was.

He didn't want to show weakness in front of Jax, but more than that he did want to share this part of his life with Jax, so when he came to the door he knocked twice and then let himself in.

Toori's grandfather was sitting up in bed, his white hair was shoulder-length and pulled away from his face, which was pale and gaunt. He looked ill and too-thin, but his gray eyes (the same shade as Toori's) were bright and cheery.

"Hello, Grandfather," Toori greeted with a smile, "I brought you some stew. And... This is Jaxon." Toori put the bowl on the table next to his grandfather's bed, and then gestured to Jax.

"Oh, yes! Toori's told me so much about you, Jaxon. It's great to finally meet you," he said, his voice low and warm as he smiled at Jax.

Jenny

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
It wasn't much of a challenge for Jaxon to predict that Toori would be a little uncomfortable about the situation- after all, he had seen that Toori was upset at even the mention of his grandfather, and he knew that Toori wasn't the most open person. Moreover, he was just like Jaxon in that he didn't like to talk about his feelings. This situation mostly had all the circumstances to be discomforting. Jaxon, however, was determined to make it easy on Toori and keep things lighthearted.

As they entered the room, Jaxon's eyes immediately fell on Toori's grandfather. He looked very ill, but that was to be expected, and Jaxon didn't show any signs of pity on his face when he walked over. The actual concept was upsetting, but he knew better than to let himself get wrapped up in it. No one would benefit from that. He smiled at the greeting, striding over and bowing his head slightly. "It's nice to meet you," he returned, "I hope not everything Toori said was bad," Jaxon added, laughing. "He hates me a bit, even though I'm such a good friend that I helped make dinner. I was a huge help, actually...." he smirked, elbowing Toori playfully.

chelle

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »
Toori's grandfather's eyebrows went up at Jaxon's words, glancing over at Toori with a smile.

"He hates you, eh? I never got that impression from him. It's always Jaxon this and Jaxon that," Toori's grandfather smirked at Toori, who was starting to flush.

"Grandfather!" Toori said in the same scandalized tone he used with Jax, blushing in embarrassment, "Jaxon was not a huge help! He spilled a whole bottle of seasoning and a bowl of soup!" Toori crossed his arms over his chest, vaguely aware that he was tattling on Jax like a six-year-old, but too irate to care. Toori's grandfather laughed, reaching out to pat Toori's side, and Toori relaxed a little. He was still embarrassed, though, because he hadn't said anything bad about Jax to his grandfather, though in retrospect he realized he should have. Those things just hadn't seemed important.

Jenny

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »
Jaxon tilted his head to the side curiously at Toori's grandfather's words, surprised to hear them, though he hardly had time to form any thoughts or even remark on them before Toori was squealing and blushing in embarrassment. Jaxon snorted a laugh at Toori's tone and childish behavior, finding it incredibly endearing. He smiled as he watched him, not even vaguely offended by the 'not a huge help' comment because he was still too oddly touched at the thought of Toori talking about him, of Toori thinking enough of him to do that.

"He's right," Jaxon said with a grin, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly at the memory, "I did spill the soup.. However--" he started, chuckling. "The seasoning was all Toori's fault. He knocked it out of my hand. And got it all over me. He's very violent, I think you should to teach him a lesson about anger management."

chelle

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »
Toori's grandfather watched the exchange with interest, seeing the way Jax looked at Toori and the way Toori blushed and bristled. He thought perhaps there was more under the surface here, but he knew his grandson so he knew Toori was not the most observant of people, at least when it came to things that weren't machines. He picked up the bowl of soup and tasted it, smiling.

"Well, whatever happened to it, it's delicious. Thank you, both of you," he said, and Toori returned his smile, "Anger management, hm? Well, Toori's always had a bit of a temper." Toori bristled at this, but didn't object, "The only thing that would ever calm him down when he was younger was a book on space travel theory or a spare engine part." Toori's grandfather chuckled.

Jenny

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:42 pm »
Jaxon smiled cheerfully as Toori's grandfather tried the soup and thanked them, telling them it had turned out well. All in all, he was glad that he hadn't managed to do anything too horrible to the stew- even if it meant getting seasoning all over his face.

Hearing about Toori as a child immediately caught his interest, and Jaxon listened with a grin. He wasn't surprised that Toori had been interested in science and engineering since he was young, but it still entertained him to imagine the other as a child, reading about advanced subjects. He was probably a very serious kid.

"Good tip," Jaxon commented with a nod, "I'll just have to bring around some interesting books to win back his favor when I upset him.." he paused then, realizing he hadn't thanked Toori's grandfather yet. "Thank you for letting me stay at your home, by the way," he said sincerely, putting on the charm. "It's very kind of you to have me,"

chelle

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »
Toori jumped a little when Jax thanked his grandfather, looking over and narrowing his eyes, suspicious of this uncharacteristic politeness from Jaxon. Jaxon never used his charms for anything but making trouble.

"Oh, you're welcome! Honestly, I was just surprised Toori had someone he liked enough to invite over! And a space pirate, to boot." Toori's grandfather winked at his grandson, "It's no trouble at all, really. It's so refreshing to have some noise in this house again." Toori smiled a little at this, before they were interrupted by the beep of an alarm.

"Ah. Time for medication." Toori's grandfather said, frowning slightly now.

"I'll do it," Toori said automatically, any trace of a smile gone from his face as he crossed the room and opened a box with a medical insignia on it. His face was carefully shuttered while he prepared the medicine in a slim device, and then crossed the room to hand it to his grandfather. They were both grim as he took the device and pressed it to the side of his neck, and with a hiss the medicine was injected. Toori watched as his grandfather's back straightened a little and then he shuddered, a reaction to the medicine that Toori had seen happen hundreds of times.

"We'll--" Toori said after a stretch of silence, "Leave you alone to rest." Toori's grandfather nodded, and didn't offer goodbyes, his shoulders tense and his mouth pinched. Toori couldn't bring himself too look at Jax while he led them out of the room.

Jenny

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »
As Toori's grandfather spoke, Jaxon found himself unable to stop from smiling along. His grandfather was very likeable; he seemed like an honest-to-god good person, and pretty cool to boot. Jaxon felt glad to have met him and been able to speak with him, even if Toori had been apprehensive about it. He didn't have much of a family these days, so it was nice to be around a familial type of mood. "Don't worry, I may be a space pirate but I won't make any trouble," Jax promised, smile still gracing his face.

As the beep sounded, the mood in the room seemed to drop, and Jax's expression changed to one of confusion, though it didn't take long for him to figure out what was going on.. Toori's grandfather said it was time for his medication, and Jaxon pursed his lips. He felt like he should have left the room, but nobody made any mention of it so he stayed quietly, his gaze fixed on the floor. Jaxon felt sad and a little uncomfortable in a way he was not quite familiar with, being that he'd never had to deal with ill or elderly people. But regardless of it, he gave a cheerful goodbye and another thank you before leaving, trailing behind Toori.

Outside, Jaxon read the tension in Toori's shoulders easily, knowing that he was upset. He refused to give into it, for Toori's sake. "Your grandpa seems like a really great man," he said sincerely, falling into step next to Toori. "I hope I get to talk to him again soon." Having said that, Jaxon switched onto the next subject expertly. "Maybe someday you'll get to meet my gang back on Cancer. They're as close to family as I'm gonna get," he said, feeling like he should give a bit of himself after what had just happened. "But they'd drive you crazy.. And probably hit on you."

chelle

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
Toori shrugged at Jaxon's commentary on his grandfather, feeling like he couldn't manage to speak about that particular subject just now. He somehow felt more raw with Jaxon here to see it all, the dark circles under his grandfather's eyes and the medicine that always hurt, it was somehow much more difficult to disconnect from the whole thing when Jaxon was here too.

Toori was glad for the sudden topic change, glancing over and frowning at the suggestion.

"What, a whole gang of people who act exactly like you? I don't think so," Toori said without his usual vitriol as he entered the kitchen and sat down at the table to eat. He stirred his soup, chewing on his lip for a moment before he said something he usually wouldn't, "But if they're your friends, I'd like to meet them."

Jenny

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
Jaxon chuckled at Toori's comment, even though he noticed it was lacking the bite that his words usually had, he pretended he didn't. As they entered the kitchen, Jax picked up his bowl of soup and followed Toori to the table. He sat down across from him and lifted up his spoon, eating quietly as he listened to Toori speak. The sentiment he offered was sincere and not snappy at all. Jaxon decided to run with it, figuring that Toori wasn't in the mood to joke around anymore.

"They're more than my friends," Jax said honestly after he swallowed, placing his spoon down and leaning on the table with his elbows. His expression went thoughtful as he considered everything they'd done for him. "They're family, and they're good people. I don't think anyone would believe me if I told them that I was on my last limb, lying in an alley, and I was saved and taken in by a gang...But then I've never bothered trying to tell the story. I guess most people don't understand gangs are sort of just like families. Loyalty's the most important thing."

chelle

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:59 am »
Toori listened intently as Jaxon spoke, and then nodded when he was done. Toori thought that Jaxon didn't often speak about himself or his past, but he seemed to make an exception where Toori was concerned. Jaxon didn't seem to mind too much when it was Toori that was listening, and Toori had to admit (at least to himself) that it was nice, being the one that listened to Jaxon. He almost wished he had more truths to offer in return, because beside the story about his parents, Toori didn't think he had any secrets or even amusing anecdotes to share, whereas Jaxon seemed to have been all over the galaxy and experienced so much.

"It's understandable that you would be attached to someone who helped you out, no matter who they are," Toori said, "And your family doesn't have to be whoever gave birth to you. It's whoever takes care of you." Toori looked up at Jaxon then, and his smile was slightly sad.

Jenny

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 05:32:24 am »
Jaxon nodded slowly at Toori's final words, smiling in much the same manner. "You're right," he agreed before taking another spoonful of soup . He ate, quiet and content with the silence, until it occurred to him to speak again. "The gang is broken up now," he explained, leaning back in his seat. His bowl of stew was nearly empty and he wasn't very hungry anymore. Chalk it up to the rollercoaster of emotion Toori put him through. 

"I mean, they were always older than me and now they're too old to be messing around. They weren't a street gang of kids, but a big syndicate really, and the leader has a soft spot for runaways.. He thought I was one." Jaxon chuckled a bit at the memory. He'd awoke in an undecorated, small room, in a bed that smelled like laundry and a bit like clover. He turned on his side and looked outside the window. Nothing seemed familiar, but he was distinctly numb. It didn't bother him, he felt completely detached as he stood and exited the room. The first person he ran into had indifferently shouted down the hall- 'Boss! He's awake!'

The 'boss's first words had been, "What did they do to you, your parents?" A pull of his cigarette and, 'You're a runaway, right?'

The flashback had been unexpected; Jaxon spent almost no time reminiscing, especially on the first year  of his time in Cancer when he had been all but a robot. "Anyway, I told him I didn't remember a thing, but he didn't throw me out. I still don't understand it. He was never a fan of strangers, or kids."

chelle

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:28 am »
When Jax fell silent and returned to his bowl, Toori did the same, thinking the conversation was over. But then, Jax started to speak again, and Toori looked up, faintly surprised. Jaxon explained his gang on Cancer, and Toori couldn't help but smile when Jax chuckled. Toori watched with interest when Jax fell silent again, staring off into space and losing himself in his own mind like he very rarely did. He didn't make a sound as he assumed Jax was remembering something, probably from his early days as a gang member, but Jax didn't seem upset or bothered by remembering this; whatever he was remembering was a good memory. Toori didn't want to intrude on that.

Jaxon came back to the present eventually, giving Toori a cursory explanation of what he must have just been remembering. Toori nodded and was silent for a moment, contemplating, before he smiled.

"He must have been won over by your excessive charms." Toori said, arching one eyebrow at Jax.

Jenny

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:18 am »
Jaxon chuckled a bit when Toori mentioned his 'excessive charms.' He certainly did have a tendency to be excessive about his flirting when he was with Toori. But back then, he hadn't had much charm or much interest in flirting. He hadn't had much interest in anything- he clearly recalled sitting in his room at the boss's house staring out the window for hours on end, doing nothing.

Having reflected on that, he replied, "I don't know about that." For once, he felt more like it was the time to be sincere rather than fool around and try to change the subject. After all, since Toori had given him so much of himself, let him see so much of his own life, Jaxon wanted Toori to have something of him, too. "I wasn't much of who I am now, that year. I barely had even feeling," Jaxon explained. "But I had the gang. And their excessive charms set the bar," he smiled. "I hope you get to meet them, eventually. You might get dizzy from all the charm in the room," he added sarcastically.

chelle

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 10:44:14 am »
Toori leaned his elbows on the table and put his chin in his hands, finished now with his stew and turning his full attention on Jax. He wasn't so surprised to find out Jax didn't used to be so outgoing, whatever happened to Jax it was obvious that just losing his memory had been traumatic, not to mention the reason he'd lost his memory in the first place. Toori knew all about that; losing your memory after experiencing something traumatic. But Toori at least had always had someone to tell him what he couldn't remember, someone to hold him when the nightmares got bad and someone to tell him it was all right that he couldn't grieve. He hoped Jaxon still had someone like that somewhere, hoped that Jaxon would find someone like that eventually, someone who could make him feel better about the gaps in his memory.

"You'll have to take me to Cancer, someday," Toori said, smiling a little at the thought, "I've always wanted to go there, since I was young. Maybe I could come and visit you there."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal