Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Playin' it safe. [Blue-poo!]  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Playin' it safe. [Blue-poo!]
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:51 pm »
"For real?" Gabriel said, still staring at Nelu. "Uh, any other 'extras' you need or anything? That's really gonna be enough? I mean, so, it's some sort of faerie thing, is what you're telling me." Flower faerie. Right. He was a flower faerie.

So basically he was like a freakin' bee?

"Well, as long as your physicals check out and your bones and muscles are strong, that's cool. Load up on milk and honey!"

And in the meantime, he'd just have to double check that that was enough. There were those rare candidates that developed eating disorders over their time spent there, either because they were acting out or because it was the one thing they felt they could control in a world where everything down to their clothing and diet was dictated. He'd have to make sure this kid wasn't at risk, though he hadn't read anything flagging him as such a case.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:04:37 pm »
Nelu was certain now that his mentor had not yet had the time to read up on his dietary needs, which would make his apparent confusion easy to explain. Naturally he didn’t realize Gabriel didn’t exactly believe him either.
“No sir, I do not need any other extras. And you are correct, it is related to my species and upbringing.”
He didn’t wish to bore his mentor, but at the same time he felt a little extrapolation was in order, so he dabbed at his mouth with a napkin before speaking.
“Though my bloodline is somewhat diluted by human interbreeding, I am mostly of flower Fae heritage. All I need to thrive is a ready supply of water, sunlight, and soil - in that particular order. I believe this facility has already taken into account my specific needs, for if I am not mistaken, the lights in my room are UV capable. I also have a small drawer with moist soil in it, just in case it becomes necessary. I was raised amid the notion that eating plants or animals is an affront to our connection with the life energy flowing through them and ourselves. Products that come from our fellow living beings, such as this milk and honey, are permissible. Something such as eggs however, even unfertilized, would be grotesque.”

He bowed his head to the next statement, and as if on a show of good faith, he took another sip of his honeyed milk. After that, he seemed quite content to finish up his meal, taking turns with both beverages. It was evident he was not intent on continuing the conversation - but then, he did not feel it polite to ask the same sorts of personal questions of his mentor. And currently, he had few questions about the program itself that the booklets provided had not already covered.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:00 am »
It was a thorough enough answer that Gabriel accepted it for the time being. It made sense enough, too, faerie business and all, though he couldn't remember actually interacting with a fae before.

So he made some mental notes while the kid finished his strange meal, and as he was finishing up he switched gears.

"So, I've pretty much been talking my head off and interrogating you here but, y'know, just trying to get a feel for you and everything. But enough interrogation! Let's turn this around here. Do you have any questions for me? I'm an open book here, so don't be shy, it's all good. Ask, and I'll answer."

Clearly this kid was the shy sort that needed a little goading. That, or maybe he'd overwhelmed him a little.

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 10:44:46 pm »
It did not take long for Nelu to finish up his liquid breakfast, and he seemed satisfied at the end of it.
“Excuse me.”
He stood in order to clear away his dishes, though it took a moment of standing and craning his head back and forth before he worked out precisely where the tray and utensils were supposed to be placed. Once complete, he walked back to rejoin his new mentor, and all the while his posture was perfect. Though holding one’s back so straight might likely lead to looking like a robot, Nelu actually moved with a surprising grace - more like he was flowing than walking.
Probably another fae thing.

Re-seated, he folded his hands in his lap and awaited further instruction. What he received, however, was another invitation to small talk. Well, being able to communicate was naturally a very key skill.
“Not at all sir, it did not feel like an interrogation.”
What to ask him though…honestly, he didn’t have any real questions about the program as it was. He’d read everything provided, and had a fairly good understanding of how things worked and what was expected of him. That really only left questions specific to Pilot Tierney…but he felt that was a bit out of line really. To ask personal questions of his Pilot mentor…it almost made him shudder. Then again, while he’d never do so un-invited, this situation was perhaps permitting. After all, Pilot Tierney was specifically asking him to ask questions.
“Well then sir, please excuse me. I would like to know, what is this strange Aedolian fascination with sex? I have never seen a population so enamored with the act of mating. These cities are quite large, so I supposed accommodating a large number of offspring could be possible, but it does seem ratherly ill advised. No offense, of course. It’s simply that I fail to see where the need for such population-boosting comes from? I have studied Aedolian culture a bit since moving here, but there are many things about it I find quite baffling. If you could alleviate my confusion, I would be most grateful sir.”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »
Of all the questions the kid could have asked, that was the last one Gabriel expected. He expected the usual questions! You know, like questions about the dragons! Kids were fascinated by the dragons! Or worry about the program, or what it was like to be a Pilot, or even what his specialty was and for a demonstration because psionics intrigued the newbies!

But that?

Gabriel's face heated and he shifted awkwardly in his seat, more of an uncomfortable squirm, and unfolded and refolded his arms on the table. Why?

"Uh, erm, well..." Shit. He so did not want to be having this conversation with a sixteen-year-old kid. However, if he was to be living among the other candidates, it was kind of important, too! Right? Right. Because most sixteen year old boys were interested in sex, and he'd be around a bunch of hormonal teenagers, so...uh...if his culture was as radically different as it sounded, then an explanation was in order! For his own safety! Alright. He could do this.

Professional face!

He cleared his throat.

"It's, uh...it's...not all about baby-making, exactly," he began, drumming his fingers on his arm and not quite looking at Nelu.

"Like, alright, I can't say I totally get it, 'cause I'm not exactly, uh, yeah. But for most people, it's just like...for fun. Y'know? It's totally healthy to have those thoughts, kid! Nothing wrong with that! So like, alright, if you ever find yourself considering having some naked fun with a nice girl or boy, we have, uh, condoms and stuff. So you should use those! Alright? Even if the girl's on birth control! 'Cause there's still diseases, and you should be careful anyway because nothing is one-hundred percent effective, so the more protection and whatnot the better, and we don't want you kids making babies because that is so detrimental to your training and just no. And you shouldn't let it distract you or keep you up late because you need your sleep! Sleep is super important. Don't skimp out on sleep."

Blue

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:25 pm »
Nelu found himself staring openly at Gabriel near the end of his awkward ‘speech’, and he quickly checked himself by returning his plum gaze elsewhere. His first instinct was to reassure his mentor that he did, in fact, understand how birth control worked. And that the Pilot had not exactly answered his question.
Well, perhaps he had. ‘For fun’ seemed to have been the one bit of relevant information, and he mulled it over. In the grand scheme of this strange Earth-bound culture, that response actually made a fair amount of sense, even if he himself did not understand the appeal.
Finally, he nodded slightly, realizing he’d gone silent in his thoughts.

“I appreciate your concern Pilot Tierney, but I can assure you with some confidence that I am aware of the modes of birth control available. I also understand how important sleep is in maintaining my health and cognitive abilities, and I find it highly unlikely I would be kept awake by something as trivial as sex. If we are not permitted to have children, then I see little point in pursuing it. I feel it is a correct assumption that I will be very busy focusing on more important matters for the next few years of my life.”
Though in another person his tone may have seemed cheeky or sassy, when it came from Nelu it was in such soft, neutral, respectful tones. It was hard to be offended when he was so obviously not intending to be offensive. It was as though the thought had never once crossed his mind (newsflash: because it hadn’t).
It was also quite clear Nelu had no concepts of ‘sex for pleasure’. Though he understood the concept of it in the greater scheme of Aedolian’s obsession with hedonistic pursuits, he saw no place for it in his own way of living.
Sitting with a perfectly straight back, hands in his lap, he was (quite literally) like a boy from another planet - not at all like your average 16 year old.
“I apologize sir, I do not really have any more questions for the time being. The reading material for the course covered most of the pressing inquiries.”

@Rhi-Rhi
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:21:24 am by Blue »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »
Gabriel wasn't sure if Nelu's response reassured him or worried him more. Sure, he didn't have to worry about the kid being irresponsible or unsafe, but his response was...

Hrm.

It was exactly the sort of thing that would get Nelu eaten alive. His entire attitude, while perfect for obeying superiors, was perfect fodder for bullies, and his genuine lack of understanding of social nuances and cultural norms was likewise troubling. And in some ways, it was eerily similar--Gabriel was very familiar with the sort of harassment that was borne out of people just not understanding why you didn't indulge like they did, and the sort of pressure and bullying that came from it.

"That's good! Keeping your nose to your studies. You'll go far! Just...I'm gonna tell you now. If anyone messes with you, if anyone tries to touch you without your consent, give them bloody hell. Alright? There's bullies here, nasty ones, and not everyone will understand your attitude toward these matters. It's better to hurt them before they hurt you. Understand?"

Blue

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »
While his Pilot mentor had been a bit of a puzzle for the entirety of their conversation, what he said lastly was still quite a shock. Turning his head to look at Pilot Tierney, he had a look of subdued surprise, eyes wide and eyebrows arched.
He had not anticipated such…blunt advice. Or rather, he never would have anticipated being encouraged to cause bodily harm to his fellow candidates. Would that not be counter intuitive to their reason for studying here? Why would this ‘bullying’ be permitted to go to such extremes in a highly controlled, militaristic environment such as this?

Was it another test? Was the environment inherently aggressive, for the sake of…weeding out the weak, as they say? If that were the case, then he needed to revaluate his situation. He did not consider needing to be perpetually on guard against attack from his own peers.
“Yes sir, I…I understand. I appreciate your information on this subject, for I would have been caught off guard otherwise. I will protect myself.”
He shifted and refolded his hands, the only sign of his unease, now that his face was back to being placidly neutral.
“Sir, if I may ask…am I…being given permission to cause injury to my peers in the name of self defense? Are there no repercussions for these actions?”

@Rhi-Rhi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal