Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 872 times)

Anonymous

Crossroads
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:16:04 am »
"Cmon! Just throw the damn knife already!" A burly merc with Talon company growled. The one in question just grinned and said with confidence. "Now now mason. I want to savor this moment". At last the knife was thrown and hit center mass of the dartboard on the wall. "Gawed damit!" The burly bald merce grunted and handed his companion a small cardboard box with 12 rounds. "Where is the kid?" Mason asked the smaller mercenary as he looked around the shanty of a metal building there group had the honor of calling there base of operations near the tunnel exit to the surface. 'Probably playing that supid game pal he found last time we were out scouting the dump.

"KID!" The bald man bellowed. From another room there was the sound of objects falling and moments later Kadaj came out still playing his game pal. How he managed to play the thing with tinted black goggles normally worn by welders was anyones guess. "Stop calling me kid boss. I'm as old as you" Kadaj retorted with a irritated voice. The Talon company merc crossed his arms and shook his head. "That might be the case Weldervick pup. But how your kind age that would make you what? Sixteen? Hmphf. Your not even done growing yet"

Still playing his handheld game system Kadaj waved a gloved hand of dismissal. "A technicallity..... Sverik!" he exclaimed and let out a low inhuman hiss before unslinging his pack and putting the game pal away. He had died and just lost intrest. Giving Mason his full attention the long haired young faced man raised an eyebrow. 'So what do ya want?" The large burly man grabbed a broom leaning against the wall and chucked it at the boy. "Clean this dump up, I did not take you in off the streets of the lower city and offer you a roof and bed for you to play games all day" Without complaint Kadaj then started to the task of sweeping. "When do I get to go out again. Sitting around this place is driving me crazy!" Kadaj exclaimed as he continued to sweep. Mason by this time took a seat at a table and started to drink straight from a bottle of liquer. "When we get a job suited to your talents boy. Stop flapping your gums and just clean"

Taking some shot glass's Mason started to fill them. "When your done come on over here kid and have some shots. This stuff will make you a man" With that he let out a annoying cackling laugh. And there you had it. A three man outfit living out of a metal shack. This was Talon company. Not as big or as popular as the brotherhood mercs out of the lower city. But Talon company was a honorable group. For all that that counted for. They did jobs and were loyal until the contract was up. They chose what jobs they did and always turned away unsavory clients with shady agendas. Even in these troubling times where work was hard to come by.

About an hour later Kdaj's boss waved him over. "I dont think anyone is coming in today. You got the rest of the day off kid" The Weldervick youth put the broom against the metal wall and stretched causing his back to pop loudly. "You dont have to tell me twice. What are you going to be doing?" he asked with a curious voice. Kdaj could have just entered Mason's mind and got the answer. But he respected the man to much to do that. The bald gruff man shrugged. "Just waiting for a friend".

The none human youth put on his pack filled with trinkets and junk and slung his rifle. "Fine then" The boy growled. "Keep your secrets. If you need me I will in the city

Kdaj spoke again as he wrapped a dirty head scarf around his noggin concealing everything except the tinted goggles over his eyes. His voice was filled with excitment as he spoke. "There is going to be a party down there tonight at club clueless" The bald gruff man snorted. "Great, thats all we need. A bunch of young punks playing loud music and making a bloody nuisance of themselves. I'd be careful kid. There is a curfew in effect after nine for anyone under eighteen.

Kdaj was unconcerned and expresed as much when he headed to the door. "Please, I think I can outrun them if they come to ruin the fun. Take it easy old man"

With that the Weldervick youth went outside into the darkness of the tunnel. Just in time to as a moterized rail cart on the tracks could be heard. Kdaj wistled and waved a gloved hand at the driver. "Heading to the city?" Kdaj asked the driver. The crude railcart came to a stop. "Sure, I'm passing down that way. Hop on. We could always use an extra gun. Word is there is mutant activity today in the tunnels. Runners mostly."

Kdaj stepped onto the cart and took a seat on a bench with the other passengers. Mostly unarmed refugees from the surface. He did not pay much attention to them. Humans did not particularly intrest him. Except maybe females during the mating season. But that ended a week ago for him. "Well then your in luck guy" Kdaj said in a cocky muffled voice from behind the wrappings around his head. "I'm a sure shot with this rifle. If we do encounter runners just keep moving. I'll handle those oversized tunnel rats" What he neglected to say was that he had little to no amunition left for the rusty old world rifle.

Shrugging the railcart driver pushed handle on the open ceiling railcart and the engine struggled to move the cart. With rifle in hand and his feet propped up on a metal railing Kdaj watched the rear of the cart listing to the clicking and clacking of there journey on the tracks down the old D6 cargo rail tunnels.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Crossroads
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »
It was an easy night tonight. A decent haul on her bounties and enough money to be comfortable for a while. Heading through the tunnels of the ancient lab, Finch pulled out her ratty pack of cigarettes, smacking it against her palm. There weren't many left, which was a shame, but she slid one between her lips, lighting it.

With a sigh, she inhaled deeply, letting the smoke deep into her lungs. Bad habit, she knew. She kept promising God she would quit, but they both know that wasn't going to happen, so it hardly counted as a lie.

Strolling, she moved between the crowded stalls, debating what she wanted to do with her night. Maybe drink a little, maybe some food. The possibilities were endless.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:49:27 pm »
Life underground was not easy. But there was comfort in its routines. In seeing the same people day after day. Compared to his old life on the surface, Kdaj would have it no other way. Safely out of the rail tunnel leading to the city the man pulled down his headwrap so it was around his neck now. With a couple hours until the party deadline he decided to kill some time in the market.

"CROW!" A familiar voice called out. With the way sound echoed in the market tunnel the Weldervick youth had to stop and swivel his head in search of the voice's source. He eventually found it. A friend.... of sorts. The kid was more his dealer then anything else.

"Lance!" Crow called out and pushed his way passed some people and gave his red headed friend a highfive that let out a resounding clap. "Look at you cuz" Lance said as he patted down his dusty none human friend. "You look like crap, but hell, you were always ugly anyway. Hows work?" Kdaj leaned up against the tunnel wall and grumbled in his native tounge before switching to commmon. "What work?" He asked sarcastically. The young lazy eyed dealer reached into his sidepack and discreetly handed over a vial with green crystaline contents adding. "Well you could always go to school" Kdaj let out a barking laugh as he took the vial and shoved it into his duster coat pocket.

"Not a chance guy. Damn waste of time. Learning to read is a...... well hello" Kdaj said as he noticed a woman. "Hot chow ten oclock brudda" With that he elbowed his friend who was probably high like he always was. A look of scheptism crossed his face. "I dunno crow. She looks like a bounty hunter." Crow kept following her with his green eyes hidden behind tinted goggles. "So what? You know how I like em older. I'm going to go talk to her. Give me your smokes.

His friends face went sad and puppylike. "But there mine man. I already hooked you up with some stuff. You dont even smoke anyway" Without saying anything Crow took the pack of smokes from his rolled up arm sleeve. "Watch and learn cuz, watch and learn"  Gently pushing his way through the crowd again he neared the woman and did his best to act casual as he pulled out a cancer stick and put the filter  between his lips. Patting his jacket pockets and pouches of his platecarrier with a smily face Crow then acted to look around until he saw Finch. "Hey! Got a flame on ya?" He asked

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
Finch looked up at the question and her lips curled into a small smile. How cute, the baby was hitting on her. It was rather cute and very flattering. Nice to know she still had it. Cigarette between her lips, she leaned up, pressing the tip against Crow's, holding it there until his lit.

Stepping back, she grinned and blew out smoke, "There."

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:33:38 pm »
Leaning in he pressed the tip of his cancer stick against the glowing cherry on hers and sucked through the filter until it was lit. With a lung full of smoke he coughed briefly but not violently indicating he did not have virgin lungs. But just had not smoked in awhile. "Thanks luv"

Crow said with a smile. Pulling the tinted goggles from off his eyes and onto his forehead the green, dragon eyed man examined her for a moment. No doubt trying to think of something smooth to say. " The names Crow. You must be new here. I have been in this city for almost half a year now and I'm pretty sure I would not forget a face like yours"

Taking another puff from the cigerette Crow added. "From your dress I would say your a bounty hunter." He had dealt with them before when he use to live on the surface. There was a walk and talk about them that always stood out. How she intended to survive on work here was beyond him. Especially with crime being almost none existant. With nobody to hunt down one could hardly call themselves a bounty hunter.

"Here for bussiness or the party?" Crow asked casually as he looked at his smoke to flick some ash off the end. A passing hunter with some papers handed off a sheet to Crow and he examined it briefly. But not before turning the paper upside down and finally crumpling it up and shoving it in his duster coat pocket for later examination. He could not read and the only thing on the paper hinting to what it was about was a drawing of a human head with a third eye on its forehead.

Crow was rather pleased with how tactfully he handled the conversation. He did not have to be a psychic to know he caught her attention.... Or perhaps he just assumed to much. She could just as easily tell crow it was none of his damn bussiness. In either case he had a plan B for that.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »
"Thats right." Finch laughed, hands on her hips, "What gave it away?" Like most bounty hunters, Finch hunted the mutant creatures that roamed the wastes just outside the city, keeping the area surrounding them mostly clear of the beasts. A number of trophies were scattered across her outfit, mostly bones, claws and teeth.

"And what party? You have my interest little boy."

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »
Crow blew out a trail of smoke and had a shit grin on his face when the woman asked how he knew. "Maybe I'm a psychic" He replyed with amusment. What she said next made him flinch. He looked like a full grown human man. But somehow people always knew he was younger then he appeared.

"Easy there baby bird". Crow retorted his smile now turning to a crooked one as if he was unsure to smile or frown. "If you intend to hit up the hottest party of the year you are going to need an escourt to get you through the lines and red tape. Someone who knows people" Crow flicked his cigerette and jazzed his hands. "And it just so happens you know me. And I know everybody worth knowing in this dump of a city"

That in itself was a white lie. Crow did not know everybody. Just enough to get by. The grown looking man scratched the patchy hair on his face. "I'm not for helping strangers though. Care to share your name baby girl?"

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:28:23 pm »
It was so hard not to laugh in the kids face, the way he talked was just too much. She managed to control the urge, taking a long drag of the cigarette and hooked one hand into the top of her pants, "Oh? Is that so. Well, you sound like a real well connected guy. Name's Finch. What's yours?"

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:00:49 pm »
"Finch?" He asked in thought. "Well now aint that summthing. My name is to wierd to say the whole thing. People just call me Crow" The young man shifted his shoulders to move the straps of his backpack a little. "There is not to much to my story. Use to live up in the wastes up until some outlanders from one of dem domed cities nerve gased my village." He said it so casually. As if it was no big deal. And in his mind it really wasent. Messed up stuff like that happened all the time topside. It was just a part of life. Continueing he added.

"I did some wandering after that, from settlement to settlement doing what I could to survive. I Settled here doing whatever work came my way. The people here are pretty awsome. I may be an orphan but there is always a family with an open door ready to take me in when I need it" Realizing he was rambling now about stuff Finch probably did not care about he flushed a bit. "Dont mind me. I talk to much. All my friends say I'm to friendly to people. Back to the topic at hand."

"The party is at club clueless. But it is not happening until later tonight. How bout we hang out until then. I aint got no work today and free until then. How bout it? Or is the big shot bounty hunter to cool to hang with a kid?" Crow gave the best toothy smile he could revealing the slightly longer then normal canines.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »
Wow. Overshare. Not awkward at all! Finch nodded as he spoke, not quite sure what to say to that story from a total stranger. Besides being rather socially awkward, he seemed nice enough and she didn't have any other plans, so what the hell.

"Buy me some dinner and I'll think about it. And I suppose fellow birds should stick together." With a grin, Finch held out her hand, "Long as you keep things interesting, I suppose I can hang out with a kid a bit longer."

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:27 am »
It took a great deal of effort for Crow not to frown when she asked him to buy her food. He almost even retorted 'woman, do I look like a meal ticket?' Despite temptation rearing its ugly head Crow just kept on smiling and swallowed hard before saying. "Uh, yeah, sure. I know a place". In the past he got woman food before. Copulatory gifts he liked to think of them. The only difference from last week and now though is this time he was not trying to get in this womans pants. But he still was trying to get something from her. He understood the nessesity to give a little to get a little.

Despite the cultural bounderys between his people and mankind. Crow was pleased to see hand holding crossed that boundery. Touch was always important to weldervick society. Holding hands use to be a common practice. Even among male friends. Since he came here though he learned quick his male friends did not like holding his hand. Or the traditional cheek kissing of greeting.

Taking Finchs hand in his Crow then lead her through the crowd leaving his friend who had been previosly watching them mouthing wordlessly, 'lucky son of a bitch'

It was not long before Crow stopped before a metal makshift shack with some tables and chairs.  Letting go of Finch's hand Crow pulled out a chair for her to sit in and then sat down himself. A fat man with a dirty food stained apron came out from behind the open kitchen counter after seeing his new customers.

Reid new Crow. But seeing as he had female company the cook decided to leave them be. "Welcome to Dirty Reids. Warm beer, bad food, surly survice. Dont like our standards? Lower yours" The large man said out of custom. Setting down some menu's on the table Reid took out a notebook from a leather hip pouch on his side. "What can I get you Crow?" Crow just waved a hand of dismissal. "Usual" The young man said casually. "Ok then, one wastelander special" Reid mumbled as he scribbled on the notebook. "And what can I get for you ma'am?" He asked Finch.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:01:00 am »
((Your dude goes into heat? That's....a little weird xD;;))

Finch had expected a handshake, but, well, if he wanted to hold hands, she wasn't gonna stop him. Didn't hurt her any and he was decent looking.

The shack didn't bother Finch much, she normally ate in places like this. She gave a quick glance as the menu on the wall and sucked on her lower lip, trying to decide, "So many good choices! I'll take the noodles with the beetles, extra crunchy please!"

Once the cook was gone, Finch gave Crow her attention again, "So, Crow. What do you do for a living?"

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:08 am »
OCC: lol. Well, this is the first non human...ish char I have ever had. Rut, heat, whatever. Thought it would be different. So really he is just an experiment for me.

IC:

As finch was thinking about what to get Crow sat patiently, playing with a crude dragon shaped piece of metal on his necklace. The question braught him from his thought. "Oh, I'm a merc. Terrible proffesion. My boss is quite happy to sit on his ass and wait for jobs to come to him. I'm more proactive though and go out looking for work." Seeing as there would probably not be another time he decided to ask.

"You dont happen to know if your clients have any intrest in hiring anybody do you? Right now the only stuff I can get is protecting refugee caravans on there way to Teinar. They dont exactly pay well either since they have nothing but the cloths on there backs"

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:12 am »
((xD It's just....only girls go into heat. It's linked to the periods. When they are ready for the babymaking xD Boys are always ready to go.))

"Clients? Mostly I work for the city, ya know? Hunting monsters and stuff." Finch shrugged her shoulders, "Sorry love. I'm not really a mercenary. I stick to the beasties. Never really been one for fightin' with humans and the like. But I'm sure you could find another company around looking to hire."

Her puzzled look got a little stronger, "There are enough refugee caravans to keep you in business? Really?" That surprised her. Most of the people that came to live there were from the stations and they just, well, moved. Most of their population was born and bred Tenarian.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 12:02:36 pm »
OCC: Always ready to go you say? Not all guys. Well, he is an experiment char. I will change it. Right now he is not intrested. Unless you want Finch to get his attention. I could make that happen.

IC:

Crow sighed after listing to Finch. Buying her food it seemed was a waste of time then. The government was not willing to hire his guys. This much he did know. The federal contracts were very competitive and Talon company was not a winning horse in that race. Her surprise kind of caught him off guard and he hesitated before answering. "Yeah, Mutants and raiders have been hitting shanty towns pretty hard topside lately. Not that we dont have our own troubles here. I'm just wondering when the gates will close and people start getting turned away. When I came here as a refuge a few months back I heard this was the last free city. The rumors of Teinar exist farther out. But most dont believe this place really exists. Like the rumors of some land that is still green and untouched by man" Crow rolled his eyes and let out a laugh that strongly resembled that of a hyena. "As if that is true. Man will never rest until they have spoiled the earth." Talk of the untouched lands was really just that among those who dwelled on the inhospitible surface. Talk. Crow did not really believe in any of the storys he heard from others while sitting around the campfire. Tales of magic Key lines. The veins and lifeforce of the earth. And of the rift gates that sometimes opened where magic key lines met. Gates that supposedly led to the untouched lands. Crow liked to entertain the thought though.

"Still.... If such a place does exist I would give my left nut to see it. Who knows. Maybe it does. At one point I thought Teinar was a myth"

"Well, since you cant help me with work perhaps you can help me with this" Crow reached into his duster coat pocket and pulled out the crumpled flyer a hunter gave him earlier. A flyer asking for psychics to voluntarily come to the government building. Unfolding the paper he handed it to her. "I cant read this. What is it about? Work maybe?"

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:43 am »
((xD I'm talking about procreation. Males are alwaysfertile, women aren't. Which is why some species go into heat. It lets the males know they are ovulating so it's time for the sex. And I have no control over if your character likes Finch or not xDDD That's up to you!))

"Shanty towns topside? Seriously?" She had never seen any. The surface was too deadly for most people to live, the air unbreathable and the radiation caused death to those not equipped against it. There wasn't much opportunity for life up there, besides Sevenwinds, but Finch wasn't totally sure that place even existed.

Talking to this kid was just weird. If he wanted the government money, just go do what everyone else did. Hunt some beasties and turn them in. It was a pretty simple process. Kid probably wasn't even a merc, just trying to impress the cute bounty hunter.

Finch scanned the flyer, "Uh, it's asking for any psychics to go over to some government building. Doesn't really say why." She turned the paper this way and that, studying it, "Where did you get this? It's gotta be worth a lot and you keep it crumpled in your pocket? I wonder how old it is..."

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 06:50:17 am »
OCC: Sorry for the late reply. Been doing some traveling.

lol. I know that. *pulls out spray bottle* Bad Rina! Bad!  If I want him to only get frisky during certain months I think I can do that. ^^

ICC:

It was Crow's turn to make a face. Finch was starting to piss him off. Crow was a firm believer that free will was one of the few freedoms anyone had. Because of this morale standard he rarely. If at all ever invaded anothers thoughts. Today was going to be a first for quite sometime.

The young man did not reply right away to the older woman across from him. Instead he just stared at her for a moment with his bioluminecent green eyes. It took little effort for him to find what he wanted. Reaching out he brushed his mind gently against hers. Seeing her point and view and knowing now what she knew about the jobs his anger towards Finch shifted now to his boss. Crow had been led to believe since he came here that there were organized groups that faught each other for the best contracts with the government. Now he realized the human he was working for was just cutting him out as competition. Crow did not need anyone but himself.

Breaking the silence now Crow leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "Sure there are people up there. Though town is.... probably not the best word for them. I have a few mapped out when I use to live topside. Its not impossible, but people do live up there."

Controlling his anger up to this point was now starting to get difficult and Crow gave in before he could finish talking. "As for the paper keep the damn thing! I would probably just end up wiping my ass with it. Its just a piece of stupid paper....." He trailed off. By this time the cook came back and set down a bowl Finch ordered and Crow's order. And it was not something most would really consider appetizing. Raw bits of meat. Crow stared at his worst enemy at the dinner table. Two little sticks. "I dont see why its so popular to eat with these stupid things" He grumbled irritably as he picked up the chopsticks and put them back down. "The elder draca gave us hands for a reason" With that statement Crow then started to eat the raw bits of meat with his hands looking away from Finch. The boy apparently lost intrest in her.

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 03:52:50 pm »
OOC: You can, sure xD But I was just pointing out that no /male/ goes into heat. That's another term for a females ovulation cycle xD It's just a period. Do you mean like....rutting?

"They do? How do they not, you know, die? Toxic air and pollution and all that." She was honestly curious, having never seen anything like that on her trips topside and she had thought she knew the area pretty well.

The sudden, angry shift threw her and she just shrugged, eating her own food, crunching on the crispy fried beetles.

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 04:30:16 am »
OCC: Sure

Crow kept eating his food in silence for awhile until he finished. Without saying a word he reached into the pack next to his chair and pulled out a folded piece of weatherworn paper. Unfolding it Crow moved his plate and set the old world map out on the table. The beat up old map was scribbled on with black chalk like marks with notes of intrest in another language. Old world towns on the map mostly had X's through them.

"The only settlement I know of that still is inhabited is this one hear. In the mountains. At least according to the people I have asked recently" Crow said indifferently and pointed with a finger. "I dont know why people thrive here honestly. Maybe the mountains act as protection for those in the valley. Or maybe its even the air currents keeping the toxic dust in the air away. Who knows. They get there fresh water from underground limestone caverns. Once again, I have no real idea why the water is clean. I hear though that limestone acts like a filter. You can go check it out if you want. Just avoid Basillisk basin and wyvern pass" Crow pointed again with his finger to a section of the mountains on the map. "Wyverns make quick meals of people like you." A somewhat evil smile crept cross the boys face as he folded back up the map. "And if the wyverns dont get you. The gangs of outlaws will before you even reach the mountains. I dont think I need to say what they will do to a woman they catch traveling alone"

Rape was the least of her concerns as far as Crow was concerned. Most of the savages on the surface these days were canibals. He had seen it first hand on a couple occasions.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
Wow. Okay, this had gone into a creepy place. That look and the conversation were just weird. Finch pushed her bowl away and dropped a few coins on the table, "Well, uh, thanks for the information. I had never heard of that settlement before. But, uh, I think I'm gonna get going."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal