Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Heirlooms [Solo]  (Read 809 times)

Heirlooms [Solo]
« on: August 28, 2017, 11:41:26 am »
A buzz echoed in the room, and Gwyndolenn looked up. "Come," she said, sitting straight behind her desk. The metallic door slid open and a young man in standard issue uniform walked in.

He bowed his head. "Pilot Royal Gwyndolenn Achetiorr," he said.

"Pilot Maxtul," she said. "What is it? You look upset."

The young Pilot approached her desk with a sealed envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL. "This came for you a few minutes ago."

"Thank you," she said, taking the envelope. "You're dismissed."

The Pilot walked out of the room hurriedly, and Gwyn opened the seal. She pulled out a piece of parchment. It was interesting: nobody used parchment anymore.

Dearest future niece or nephew,

You do not know me, nor do I know you, but I have an important task for you. My name is Celegwen Perkhimote, I am an Elf Dragonrider from the city of Adela. I am not aware whether or not this will ever reach you, but I sincerely hope that it does.

If you have followed in your family's ancient traditions, you have become a Dragonrider as well. I am sure you know how incredible of a thing the bond between dragon and rider is, so I urge you to tell your dragon partner of this letter.

Long ago, I left a magical artifact to my brother and your great-great-great grandfather, Eruann Perkhimote. He then gave it back to me to give to my children. My children never became Dragonriders, but his did. It is an ancient and magical device from years before my own birth. Enclosed in this letter is a map which leads to the heirloom.

I wish you the best of luck. May the gods guide you, and may your dragon's wings glide on luck.

Yours truly,
Celegwen Perkhimote

She reread the letter, and then laughed to herself. "Let's find out who actually sent this."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:24:06 pm by SilverDragonsBlood »

Re: Heirlooms [Solo]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »
Gwyn made her way to the building for the Department of Science and Medicine. She held tightly to the envelope. In order to be sure nothing happened to the parchment, she had put the letter back in the envelope and made her way directly to the DoSaM.

Luckily, she had a friend in the department, so she was able to get quick results without having to wait her turn. She handed the letter over to her friend, who disappeared into the lab.

After about fifteen minutes, Gwyn got the letter back, along with a report on it. It was authentic. Approximately 5000 years old, and written by Captain Celegwen Perkhimote, a female Elf captain of the ancient Adelan Dragonriders. She was relatively famous for being married to her shape-shifting dragon partner.

"So, that means the map is authentic," Gwyn said quietly.

"As far as I can tell," Fretollo said, his thin lips turning upward. "This is one of my more interesting cases. Keep me posted?"

She smiled. "Thanks, Ret," she said, running out the door. A Stage 5 Pilot Candidate leapt out of her way with wide eyes, and she glanced back, waving her apology. Of course the Pilot Candidate would never say anything of it, but Gwyn never believed in using her rank to gain special treatment from anyone.

The Pilots were celebrities in Aedolis, but Gwyndolenn preferred to keep more to herself. She was commonly in the public eye and never turned away anyone who wanted to talk to her, but she was a private woman in general.

She maneuvered her way through the buildings and stood on her aerie, extremely high up. Gwyn stood on the edge of the platform and whistled loudly. The dark sky was a wonderful shelter for a black dragon, and the only way Gwyn could tell he was coming was the silver stripe down his back. He was a freedom-loving dragon, which made his flights commonly interspersed with aerial tricks.

Vendremdirr was rather large for the Aedolian dragons, creating a significant wind with his great wingspan wings. He flew beneath her aerie, and she dropped onto his back, fixing herself on his back. "Your landing was sloppy," he grumbled.

"You're grumpy tonight," she said.

He grinned a toothy grin, climbing into the air. What is troubling you, child? He asked telepathically.

We need to find somewhere to talk, she replied.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:03:40 am by SilverDragonsBlood »

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:35 pm »
They flew to a relatively remote part of Haviah, between Havina and Midhaven, as remote as one could be in the busy place. She stepped onto his shoulder, and Vendremdirr leaned his side down to the aeire platform. Gwyn stepped off and sat on the edge. He laid down with his arms crossed and tail swinging off the side. "What is it?" He asked.

Gwyn sighed, loosening the neckline on her flightsuit. She pulled out the letter out of the envelope and showed it to him. She knew the dragon wouldn't be able to read the tiny writing from afar, but she wanted him to acknowledge it. "Apparently, it's a letter from one of my ancestors," she said. "It comes with a map to a lost heirloom. My ancestor, Celegwen Perkhimote, was a Dragonrider from Adela."

Vendremdirr smiled again, nodding his head. "I know of her," he said. "A great woman with a great dragon. How do you know this is actually from her?"

"Fretollo dated the parchment. Authentic."

"What do you want to do about it?"

She shook her head. "You're the boss, Ven," she said, chuckling.

The dragon shook his head. "This is something you must decide, Gwyndolenn."

Gwyn wanted more than anything to discover the the truth behind the letter she was given, but her doubt started to cloud her. If she invested her time in finding the heirloom and it turned out not to be true, she would have wasted an incredible amount of time that could have been used to go an actual mission. Either way, she knew her curiosity wouldn't let her ignore the letter.

Vendremdirr chuckled breathily. Gwyn rolled her eyes, knowing the dragon had been listening to her thoughts through her little inner debate. "How did I know that was going to be your answer?" He asked rhetorically. "Where are we to start?"

"I have to find maps, old and new of Adela and Aedolis," she said. "Geography was never my strong suit, so I don't know how to match Aedolis geography to that of Adela. Do you know it?"

"I don't concern myself with those matters, Gwyndolenn," he said. "There are more important things that occupy my mind."

She smiled, running her hand through the hair on the left side of her head. "Well, will you be up for a trip when I finish my research?"

"I always love a flight, no matter the situation. Come. I'll bring you home."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:26:10 pm by SilverDragonsBlood »

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:41:41 am »
When Vendremdirr flew off after they returned, Gwyn sat at her desk and logged onto her computer. She started searching through the Aedolian records and discovered all kinds of maps and documents of the change from Adela to Aedolis. She printed it out and made her way to one of the Lead Rooms.

She often went to the Lead Rooms when she needed some peace and quiet from the psychic world.

Gwyn spread out all of the information and started making all kinds of connections, from same-root names to geographical similarities, from basic location to landscape alterations.

After hours of being locked in private thought, Gwyn clapped and jumped up, knocking her chair backward with a thud. She grabbed all of the print-outs and ran out of the room.

Slamming the door to her private quarters shut, she turned off all the lights except for the red one above the door. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply twice. "Lux," she said, extending her hand toward the red light and opening her eyes. Her golden eyes glowed in the darkness and she had seemingly stolen the light from above the door.

Illumokinesis came as naturally to her as breathing did, so the awe it inspired from others was confusing. That being said, the unique attention wasn't exactly a bad thing.

Gwyn held the red light in her right hand, using her left hand to arrange and rearrange the information. "Lux alba," she said, the red light turning to a faint white glow. Nothing. Thinking to herself, she remembered how long ago the letter and map were created. "Ignis lux," she whispered. The white light shifted to a flicker that resembled an old lantern.

Got it.

The parchment map started to reveal hidden pathways under the faux lantern light. It was real.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:26:45 pm by SilverDragonsBlood »

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 05:54:03 pm »
Gwyndolenn sat in her room at a table across from Fretollo. She leaned her head on her hand with drooping eyes. She was off duty, as was Ret, so they both were dressed casually. Ret spiked his blond mohawk in five three-inch spikes. Gwyn always found it funny to see him off duty because he spiked his usually braided mohawk.

"What're you gonna do?" Ret asked, leaning back in his seat.

She shook her head, just staring at the letter and the map. Never since she turned her friend in to the Pilots during their candidacy had she faced a decision so great. Does she ignore the letter and give up the once-in-a-lifetime adventure and connection to her ancestry? Or does she follow the map and abandon her post in search of knowledge?

Shrugging, Gwyn removed her jacket and stood with her back against the wall. "I don't know! Ret, this is kind of huge, and I really don't like making decisions that have a direct effect on me."

"Great quality for a Pilot Royal," he said sarcastically.

She shot him a sharp glare. "I might be off duty, but I can still kick your ass."

"I'm a Pilot, too!"

"Pilot Echo! Shut up! I have a real problem here!"

He stood, then sat on the table, his shoes on the chair. "Well, have you talked to Ven about it?"

She snorted, shaking her head. Ven was her best friend, most loyal companion, and ultimate confidant, especially since he was almost always listening to what she was thinking. "Come on, Ret. You know as well as I do that he's listening to both of us right now. He might be my best friend, but he's the most nosy dragon I have ever met."

Fretollo snickered and stood up, walking over and squeezing her arm. "Gwyn, we both know what you're going to decide here. If you could hurry up and make it official, I have a date."

Gwyn knitted her eyebrows together with a smirk. "Are you still seeing that Seeker guy?"

"You bet I am, honey," he said with a wink, walking out of her room. She changed into her flightsuit, grabbed the map and the letter, and ran out of her room to meet Vendremdirr again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:27:31 pm by SilverDragonsBlood »

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »
The Pilot and the dragon sat next to each other on the aerie atop the building. Gwyn watched a few other Pilots perform aerials, trying to bond with and learn their dragons. She and Vendremdirr had instantly formed a connection, and the process of getting to know each other was taken care of two years before Gwyn even turned eighteen and graduated the Pilot Candidate Program. It was a fortunate and uncommon occurrence that a Pilot Candidate and dragon would bond so early on.

She placed the map on the floor between herself and Ven. "The clues are revealed on the map under lantern light, or mock-lantern light. I was able to simulate the light from a lantern and discovered it."

"So, where is our newest journey to lead?" Ven asked.

"It used to be called Hyoite in the old world."

The tundra in the north, he said, nodding.

"Do you know where it is?" Gwyn asked.

Vendremdirr smiled, looking into the sky. "I believe it is within my power to locate Hyoite. Are you sure of your decision?"

Gwyn looked at Ven with a smile. "Not even slightly."

Ven chuckled breathily with a slight shake of his head. "This is exactly the reason I chose you to become my Pilot."

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:47:59 am »
It was a surprisingly long flight to reach what was once Hyoite. The wind currents were strong, pushing Vendremdirr and Gwyndolenn back. If she was superstitious, Gwyn would have taken the wind as an omen to stay away. With her scientific mind and Vendremdirr's general strength, they continued on.

The dragon's back was smooth, so Gwyn had a saddle with a handlebar created for him. Her arms were on top of each other with her chin resting on the top arm. She was off duty. If she was on duty or people were around to see, there'd be no way she would ride Ven with such an unprofessional posture. Off duty without anyone to see, Gwyn really couldn't care less how she rode.

Ven's flight was smooth, probably the smoothest dragon she had ever ridden. She hadn't flown any other dragons, but she'd been on other Pilots' dragons as a passenger of sorts. Ven just knew how to work with the air currents and energies. Gwyn didn't understand it, nor would she try to, but it was incredible to experience the flight of her bonded dragon.

"You have been rather noisy this flight," Vendremdirr said.

Gwyn scoffed, sitting up and resting her hands on her thighs. "I haven't said a word!"

You don't need to speak to be noisy, Gwyndolenn, he said telepathically. Gwyn rolled her eyes, unable to fight the grin creeping on her face. You are making the right decision.

She shook her head. "I know, but I can't shake the feeling that I should consulted others about this."

Vendremdirr chuckled. "You shouldn't concern yourself with the opinions of other Pilots. The only Pilot you need worry about is the Pilot Imperial. You are a Pilot Royal, so do not trouble yourself with thoughts of those below you."

"But that's what matters," Gwyn said. "If you don't have the love and respect of those beneath you, you're no leader."

Very good, Ven told her.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal