Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Clinging Brave Defying Fate (Lion!)  (Read 761 times)

Offline Nix

Clinging Brave Defying Fate (Lion!)
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:41:51 pm »
Zirconium had been waiting for this moment since he learned his Pilot had been summoned to the Citadel for some Ministry business. Bertrando was not being reprimanded, so he did not care what reason the tiny Pilot was called for. What mattered to the small and mostly mechanical dragon was that they were going to the Citadel.

Aurora was so far from Haviah. It was nice but, the aerie in Aurora was not the Citadel. It was not the center or their government, it was not their ancestral home. If Zirconium was capable of feeling homesick for a place he still knew the moment to moment happenings of, he was. Hearing the thoughts of his kin, seeing as they saw, knowing as they knew, was not the same as being there somehow. The mechanical parts told him that the senses were exactly the same, but the flesh of him ached to be there again. To speak with his kin in person, to see while they saw, in tandem and adjacent to them. His heart still beat in that small body, even though half of his face and part of his brain was mechanical. Logically he knew the heart held no sway over his emotions or thought process. Other dragons could easily confirm this, and yet others could tell him just as assuredly that sentimentality and emotion are not ruled by logic.

Perhaps it was because he was 'young' or small, but he was sentimental. He longed for the bond others had with their Pilots, with their humanoids... like ancient fully organic dragons had somewhere deep in his memory banks. Bonding with a Pilot seemed like one of the most important things any dragon could do. For their kin, for Aedolis, and for their own sense of purpose which was often obscured and lost to the more important will of the collective and country.

He had lucked out when Rando became a stage 5 Candidate and he snatched the tiny thing up. Zirconium's first Pilot didn't work out well, he learned quickly that just being a bit short didn't mean that they were compatible as Dragon and Pilot. The first one, decades ago, was still too bulky and too heavy. Rando was perfect though. Light, small, diminutive.

But Rando was his Pilot, that was all. There was no deep bond like he craved.

And yet he had learned through their shared minds that one dragon now had two humans. Dragon Royal Hyperion had his Pilot, Pilot Royal Banning Lockhart, and now was keeping a 'pet' in his cavern in the aerie. Some of the others were knowingly angry about this, others simply uneasy, some were jealous, and a few were happy.

The same ones that still took care of and provided for Pilot Noble Alexiel Appati. Zirconium was somewhere in the jealous category, but could be easily swayed.

What he would not allow to be swayed was his desire to see this 'puppy' Hyperion was keeping. As soon as he reached the Citadel and let Bertrando dismount he headed toward the aerie where all the dragons in Haviah lived.

He made his way to Hyperion's caverns near the top. There was no need for audible sound to alert the other dragon of his presence. Hyperion knew of his intentions long before he found himself outside the Royal's caverns. He wasn't going to leave till he saw the human causing all this fuss.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:45:25 pm by Nix »

Offline Lion

Re: Clinging Brave Defying Fate (Lion!)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:57:54 am »
Whatever decisive action Banning was up to in Haviah was a welcome relief for Hyperion. He was large and imposing, so it was understandable when his new friend tended to hide away from him most of the time. And the near constant threats to eat him probably didn't help matters either. It was just his way of joking with the little biscuit though, but it was too bad he was so skittsh and scared all the time.

That would never do. Fear was only so useful when the critter you were trying to gain the attention of kept running away. Perhaps a better tactic was more useful. So in order to make the wee critter more comfortable in the cold cavern, Hyperion had a 'kennel' put in with a small bed and blankets and all the comforts one could give to a human.

Humans liked that didn't they? Warm soft things. They kept dogs and cats for the same reason. Why else keep pets? If not for the company they provided.

Hyperion frankly...didn't like the thought of other dragons coming to see his 'puppy' as they called him. Goggles had a name. And it was Goggles. That seemed what he preferred to be called, and Hyperion felt it best to do so. It was simple and easier to remember. And he was better off with Hyperion than rotting in some metal box that was a prison cell. The dragon could keep an eye on him, and see what made him most useful.

"Took you long enough," he murmured once Zirconium actually showed up. He was such a tiny sprite-like thing wasn't he? A small dragon that could barely flutter his way through the cavern entrance that was Hyperion's domain. "You made it all right, I see. Now what can I help you with, Zirconium?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:26 am »
He could 'flutter' just fine. He flew all the way from Aurora to Haviah, the condescension from the Dragon Royal was highly uncalled for.

The much smaller dragon was already trying to peek around Hyperion to see the human, wondering how the thing was kept. Humans had all sorts of requirements and specific individual needs. Keeping one in the aerie couldn't be easy for a multitude of reasons. Especially since not all dragons were particularly thrilled with the idea of a human being kept by a dragon.

"You know why I am here Hyperion. I want to see your-" Don't call the human a puppy. Don't call the human a puppy. What was it's name? He searched their collective memory for a moment. "I wan to see Goggles."

Offline Lion

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:44:02 am »
Hyperion growled softly, although it was more in thought than because he was particularly threatened by Zirconium. The smaller dragon was no significant physical threat, and furthermore he was a guest in the Dragon Royal's domain. And would be treated with the same courtesy. Hyperion had meant no bite to his comment about his size. Zirconium was almost as precious a critter as Goggles.

"Oh? And why are you so curious?" The larger dragon murmured. He shook his head and leered down at Zirconium, sniffing his head in a flaring nostrils. "Goggles is sleeping right now. I wouldn't want to disturb the little one. He needs his rest."

Offline Nix

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 01:03:14 pm »
If dragon's mouths could form a pout then that is what Zirconium was doing. The larger dragon was sniffing him to determine his intentions. It was obvious, and he supposed understandable, but it annoyed the smaller dragon.

"I am curious to see a dragon keeping a human pet. That is a reasonable response to such a thing. What makes this one special? He isn't even a Pilot." Zirconium growled a bit, but it was like a mouse squeaking compared to Hyperion's sounds. "I won't wake him."

Offline Lion

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 03:47:19 pm »
"You make a hard case for your curiosity. But you're my guest. And not at all imposing on me. So perhaps I will indulge you after all," he snorted. Hyperion shifted around and manuevered behind Zirconium, nudging him forward into the cave. The high cielings were enough to accomadate the Dragon Royal. He was fully grown and his shoulders were a little wider than most, leading the smaller dragon to the kennel he'd had fashioned toward the back of the cave where it was warmer and cozier.

Everything Goggles needed was outfitted here, even a little tinkerer's table with a bunch of mechanical doohickeys to play with. Hyperion gestured to the open kennel door, that was large enough for Goggles to fit through but not a dragon - even a pony-sized one at that - and he pointed to the curtains that served as walls.

"You see him, don't you? He's behind there. And if you can't see him, you can certainly smell him," he said.

Offline Nix

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:53:28 pm »
Zirconium moved into the cave once Hyperion began nudging him, though he didn't mind the nudge so much. He made his way to the human's pen and peeked in to see him sleeping there. The human hardly looked remarkable- or even all that interesting. He seemed a twitchy little thing, moving even in his sleep.

Rando was cuter than this human. Hyperion's Pilot was better looking than this one. Stronger too. Why keep a second human? Especially like this. He understood, but he didn't.

The divide that Altar and Pilot Appati's love had caused was only widening dude to this instance. Still, as jealous and confused as he was Zirconium found himself on Hyperion's side. He didn't understand this, but he wanted to. He knew what it was like to want to bond with a Pilot so desperately, to be grateful for them and not merely see them as tools as many of their kin did. Humans saved his life. And he had waited to long to find ones that could bond with him. He had been jealous of Altar and Alexiel too. He wanted to protect Alexiel, even though he never took action to do so. He was just a chip in that favor, weighing on their collective conscience.

He supposed he wanted to protect Goggles too. Even though he was unsure why. "The humans wanted to hold a hearing for him didn't they?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
"He is a rather unusual case. A straggler surviving like a little rat in a hole. But staying alive nevertheless. From what he's told me, he's managed to stay alive by being useful. He's a technopath, and a very good one. You should see all the little knick-knacks and goodies he can make and all the little things they can do! Already, he made a machine that sweeps up the dust under his workbench. Remarkable," Hyperion went on on and on.

Oh but he was blathering, and even as the Dragon Royal wanted to do nothing but sing praises about his new friend, he supposed getting to the grit of the matter was unavoidable.

"I believe they do. As humans do for other humans that have wonderful abilities and found strange objects in the middle of nowhere. I have entrusted Goggles into my care. I will protect him and keep an eye on him. He will not escape, and in the meantime, I figured it is better for him to adjust to a life he is comfortable with than keeping him rotting in a cage. Nevermind the kennel. That's his space. And the door is always open for him."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal