Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: We Do It To Ourselves [Blink!]  (Read 942 times)

Marakai2.0

We Do It To Ourselves [Blink!]
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:28 am »
It sure was a good thing that Vaas hadn't been sleeping for shot for the last several days, especially today. He'd gotten a call in the wee hours of the morning, from DoSaM of all places. He could remember that phone call, as if he'd just hung up.

"Is this Pilot Echo Vaas Sayd?"

"Yeah, tha's me." He'd already been up and wide awake at the time, and the answer had come easily. "Whaddaya want? Who's this?"

"This is Dr. Soteck at DoSaM. We've got one Pilot Echo Sparrow Anderson under our care, she was brought in not long ago. She's got you listed as her second emergency contact." That opened his eyes real quick. He knew that Grisham had gone out at some point, only a few hours before. He'd seen the decoded transmission that Sparrow had sent, and could only surmise that the Commander had gone to follow it's trace. That would mean, if he'd found Sparrow and brought her to DoSaM....

Grisham was her first emergency contact. If all was well, Vaas wouldn't have ever been called, because Grisham was already there. Which meant something had to have happened to Grisham as well.

"I'll be there in a few hours. Bring me up ta speed when I arrive."

--

That was hours before. He'd dressed to go out, grabbed Sparrow a set of clothes that had once upon a time been strewn throughout his apartment, and sent Kurush a quick message to inform him what was going on. A rail ride later, he found himself at DoSaM arguing at the front desk. He'd been told she was sedated, and wasn't to be disturbed - apparently she'd caused quite the ruckus upon her arrival. And apparently Grisham had taken a serious and sudden turn for the worse.

It had taken some doing and some heated discussion, but he did manage to find himself, some time later, in Sparrows room within the hospital. His first look at her in days nearly broke him, seeing her laid up in that hospital bed.

"Ya look like shit, Bird Brain," he murmured as he drew close. He gave a wan smile as he watched her sleep, still firmly held under by the sedatives. Despite what he'd heard from when she'd first been brought in, she looked peaceful, almost serene. He simply stood there for awhile, looking down at her, watching the gentle rise and fall of her chest as she breathed.

"Though I'm guessin' tha' ain't gonna stop ya fer long, huh? Tough'un thatcha are, an' all." He glanced up at her sleeping face, her eyes gently closed in artificial slumber, relaxed and serene. As he looked down upon her, a weight seemed to lift from his shoulders. She was here, and alive. Seeing her here seemed to finally prove that to him. But, it didn't stop the guilt.

If he hadn't been such an impulsive, selfish asshole, she wouldn't be in this shape. The doctors had told him what injuries she'd sustained, and he blamed himself for most of them. They could have gotten to her sooner, if only-

No. It was best if he didn't think about that, not while she was asleep. He had words, a thousand apologies, that he'd rather voice out loud when she could answer them.

Gently, he reached toward her face and brushed a few strands of hair off her cheek. He told himself right then that he wasn't leaving this room until she awoke.

After some time, he decided to sit, dropping the duffel bag full of her clothes on the floor beside his chair. Nothing to do but wait, now.

After a time, despite the uncomfortable position the chair put him in, he found himself sound asleep.

Offline Blink

Re: We Do It To Ourselves [Blink!]
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:12:08 am »
It was peaceful, almost too serene as Sparrow took another spoonful of her mother's homemade beef stew and plopped it in her mouth. The dinner was quiet, more so than usual as each member of her family sat and ate. The young 13 year old stuck out like a sore thumb against her mother and father. Both of them lighter skinned, one with blue and the other with brown eyes. Her mother's hair was long and light ash, her father's short, thin and blonde. Yet there sat Sparrow, with skin that looked golden from spending too much time in the sun. Her eyes a feirce emerald and hair dark as the richest cocoa. It was obvious she didn't belong in this portrait of a family dinner.

Both of her parents talked to one another, all while Sparrow continued spooning stew into her mouth, silent. She had been scolded only hours before, her mother finding Sparrow's affinity for beating up one of her cousins unpleasant. That was usually the case with most everything she did as time passed. This young girl had an affinity for violence, rudeness and outbursts. Unfortunately, the only way her parents dealt with it was a deafening silence, going on and talking as if she weren't even there. They refused to acknowledge such brutality and lack of manners. However, Sparrow knew in a few hours they would speak to her again, they would act like she had done nothing wrong at all. Even if she actually found their silence refreshing and welcomed it each time.

Just as she went to clear her throat the table warped, the faces of her parent's twisted until they each turned into someone completely different. Suddenly Sparrow wasn't feeling so great about her decision to lash out as she found herself staring into the faces of the two most influential people in her life. First Seiteki, baring down on her with those feirce blue eyes. Second Grisham, his arms were crossed and he was giving her 'that look'. Both of them looking at her like that made her sick. Even Sparrow had changed, now looking more like her 18 year old self. Unlike her adoptive parent's suddenly the thought of these two shutting her out terrified her. Seiteki and Grisham were the first two to hold Sparrow accountable for anything.

Again she went to clear her throat to speak, only to have the table and faces warp, even the room began to bend and twist out of shape. Sparrow found herself somewhere familiar, except it wasn't a welcoming place. She was back in the wastes, watching that damned lizard stalk the rock outcropping she had hidden herself in. It was like she was watching herself, watching as it closed in on her. Once more she went to clear her throat, to warn herself it was right there but when she opened her mouth nothing came out. So instead she watched in horror is it grabbed her leg and drug her out. She watched herself scream out in pain and fear as she defended herself from the assault. She watched herself kill it.

Everything twisted again and Sparrow found herself standing in the hall at the DoSaM. They were taking her away on the gurney, she was punching and kicking while her eyes were locked on something down the hall. She turned, and there he was. Grisham was on the floor, coughing up blood and the color draining from his skin. She went to run to him, but her arms and legs wouldn't move. Her muscles strained and she pushed yet nothing happened.

"Grisham!" she screamed as everything suddenly came into focus. She tried to sit up but her wrists were attached to the rails. "Get this shit off me!", yep Sparrow was awake.

It felt like her heart was about to beat out of her chest as she panicked, not able to escape the restraints keeping her in the bed. Eyes then shot around the room as she looked for her next victim only to land on Vaas. Except it didn't register that it was him. How did she know this just wasn't another illusion? So far they seemed to be cruel, so Vaas being there made perfect sense. The one guy, the one person who ever made Sparrow feel like the happiest and worst person all at once there to pull on her heartstrings in some fucked up dream. She wasn't going to fall for it again, she wasn't going to call out to him like she did the others. Maybe then she could just keep him around a little longer.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:11:48 am »
It honestly didn't take too much to wake Vaas up. Especially not when he was sleeping with his neck at a rather perilous angle, his jacket wadded up and shoved behind his head as an impromptu pillow.

And so when he heard Sparrow shout, his first reactions were first to open his eyes, and second to desperately try and straighten his neck as the muscles had become quite cramped. A hand was raised to rub some life back into his neck, and then he finally blinked the sleep out of his eyes to look toward Sparrows bed again.

Ah...so that's where the shout had come from. He blinked again, seeing those twin emeralds locked onto him, and slowly dragged himself to his feet.

"Whassat, now? Ya want th'....ah, I see. One sec, Bird Brain."

He walked around to the far side of her bed, and leaned over her to undo the first strap. "Now, jus' cuz I'm lettin' ya up don' mean ya c'n start stranglin' me right away," he mumbled, a light smile gracing his lips. He was conscious of just how close he was to her as he leaned down and slid the restraint off of her wrist.

"At least lemme talk to ya...its been awhile, an'....well, I needed ta apologize to ya." He worked the other one loose, and slid it free as well before straightening, standing next to her and shoving his hands in his pockets.

"But firs'....how ya feelin', Sparrow?"

Offline Blink

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:20:59 pm »
Her sights were still locked on him all up until he came over and unclasped the first strap. Up until that moment, she was still convinced this was just another dream. Partially still in disbelief, she waited for him to unclasp the other and slide it off. As soon as she was free she sat up, still silent as her eyes began to burn. It really was him, it really was Vaas. He was actually standing there and looking adorable no less with his hands in his pockets like that.

"Better" she whispered before looking down at her hands. Sparrow could see the bruise on her left wrist from the restraints. Her right was still bandaged from the burns and new chip implantation she had undergone.

What she did next was quick, her movement fluid and in a flash, as she reached down and ripped the IV out of her forearm. There was some blood, but not enough for concern as she flung the line over her. Next, she pushed herself out of the bed, practically flinging herself into Vaas as she wrapped her arms over his shoulders.

"You really are here" another whisper while the burning in her eyes intensified. She could smell him, feel him... he was not a dream. If her grasp could have been any tighter it would have been, like she could lose him again at any moment.

Right now she didn't care who saw, or what was said about her hugging him like this. Maybe she could play it off as a reunion between friends later but for now, all Sparrow wanted was to hold Vaas like this, just for a minute.

"I thought about our stupid fight every single day I was gone. If it wasn't for my stupid ass you would have never severed that bond and I would have been found sooner. If it wasn't for me Grisham wouldn't be hurt right now. It's my fault all of this happened and now Grisham..." she paused midsentence, pulling back as she collected her thoughts.

"Wait where is Grisham!? Is he alive!?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »
Her first word, whispered and barely heard, set him to thinking that perhaps she was unhappy to see him. That, plus the way her gaze had been boring into him as he'd made his way in her direction made him uneasy at first.

So he was caught completely by surprise when next she tore out her IV, and flung her arms around his shoulders. He leaned into the impact by instinct, and his own arms wrapped around her, fingers twisting into her hospital gown. He wasn't sure what side of her ribs had been injured, so he was careful to avoid applying pressure to her sides.

"Of....course I'm here, Sparrow. Where th' 'ell else didja think I'd be when ya finally got back?" His time was teasing, but his face was not as he pressed it into her hair, inhaling her scent for the first time in what seemed like forever.

What he didn't know just then was her thoughts were aligned with his - he didn't give a shit who or what was watching just then, if anyone was. He lowered his head just slightly, and pressed his lips against the crook of her neck.

"If it weren't fer you? I was th' one bein' a selfish prick, an' tryin' ta ask fer...what I can't have. An' I was th' hot-headed bastard what was stupid enough ta listen to ya in th' firs' place. I been killin' myself over tha', Sparrow."

He pulled back as she did, and looked down into her eyes. "I dunno. I asked, an' they wouldn't tell jus' yet how bad it was. I ov'r'eard, though..Somethin' 'bout respiratory failure. He was still kickin' when I got 'ere, but they wouldn't lemme see 'im yet."

He gave a small sort of smile, then, and continued. "Butcha gotta remember, Bird Brain. The commander is one tough piece o' jerky. He'll be fine, I know it. Though, he's makin' me reconsider my own smokin' habit."

Offline Blink

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:27 pm »
So he was alive, or at least last Vaas heard he was. This was good, and enough information to keep Sparrow from going off the deep end for the time being. Vaas also had a good point. Grisham was a tough one, he wasn't going to go down so easily. Sparrow could feel herself rapidly growing more calmer with each passing second. It was all she needed really, to be told he was okay for the time being. Didn't take a genius to figure that one out. Stupid doctors.

"Listen..." Sparrow fell serious again, leaning back into Vaas while nestling her head against his collarbone. "... a lot happened. A lot of thinking and planning and rehearsing what I was gonna say and now that the moment is here I am not going to waste it like I did before. Life's too short ya' know?"

"I know I've always gotten pissed or just changed the subject but when you're facing the reality of never seeing the people you care about again you start thinking of all the things you never said." Her voice broke at the end, more stupid emotions welling up and making their way to her eyes.

"Just tell me how you feel and let me know that everything we have been fighting to hide is real. I just need to know that it's all real and not something I made up in my head to pass the time out there." Despite their link being broken Sparrow still had the ability to reach into his mind, especially standing this close to him.

"Tell me that you love me just as much as I love you Vaas."

She couldn't bare look him in the eye when she thought it, instead just keeping her head rested on his collar. Perhaps it was a bit rash, maybe too soon after everything that had just happened but it had to be said.

"And I swear if you start crying on me I will punch you in the face because you have no reason to. Plus, you're an ugly crier."

Marakai2.0

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:03:37 pm »
As she lay her head against his collar, Vaas raised a hand from her back to thread it through her hair, holding her close. When she began to speak, it seemed as if the rest of the world grew quiet - the sound of her voice, nearly breaking as it choked with emotion, was all he could hear. All that mattered to him, in that moment.

Something big was coming, he could tell.

And so it was, as her voice began to echo within the depths of his mind. His normally harsh gaze began to relax, his eyes softening as the words came.

She said it. She said she loved him. When the word came, he stiffened momentarily - not because he didn't want to hear it, but instead because it came as such a surprise. After all this time.

He was quiet for a moment, but as a tendril of his consciousness extended to wrap gently around her mind, she would know why. He again extended his link to her, encompassing and shielding her consciousness with his own. Again, the link was forged, and that greatest bond of trust was as strong - if not stronger - than it was before.

The link reforged, he gently pulled his face away from her hair, and with one hand he lifted her chin just slightly.

He glanced only momentarily towards the door to ensure it was closed, and a push of his mind sounded a subtle click as it locked, before he looked back to her. Then, he pressed into her with a kiss, one unlike they had ever shared before, heated, passionate. Full of love.

Even as he kissed her, he spoke to her, his mental voice clear and resonating within her consciousness. "Ya mean, after all this time, after all th' times I did all but say it, ya don' know? Sparrow, I've loved you for a long....long time. I jus'...didn' think ya wanted ta hear it. I've got ya. And ya've got me, jus' as long as ya want me. I ain' goin' anywhere anytime soon."

He broke the kiss, and pulled back to stare down into her eyes. When he spoke again, it was with his own voice.

"I promise ya that, Bird Brain. I gotcher back, in all things." He winked, smiling, and pressed his forehead against hers. "No matter what."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:33:25 pm by Marakai2.0 »

Offline Blink

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:49:36 pm »
For a moment Sparrow let it show as everything fell into place, all the rows finally in a clean line. Lips locked, encompassing one another with feelings both had but never truly expressed until now. She couldn't resist kissing him back, letting herself become 'just a girl' for a few short moments there in his arms.

It was almost over too soon, a bitter end that she wished would continue but knew couldn't. With foreheads pressed to one another, she let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding. At least for now, one thing wasn't a big fucked up mess.

"We can't get caught, we can't act on our urges. We can't give them any reason to suspect we are anything more than just friends." Pulling back she let her eyes meet his again. "The Hellions are everything to me and I am putting that at risk for you. Don't make me regret it"

Her eyes then flicked towards the locked door. They had already taken too long, someone was bound to check in at some point.

"So please tell me that duffle bag has clothes in it for me." Then without even waiting for a response, she began walking towards it, bending down and unzipping it to uncover clothes that she remembered taking off not all that long ago at his apartment. They were a welcome sight. For the last week, she had been in her flight suit, and then this stupid hospital gown right after.

She welcomed the fabric as she picked it up, practically gushing at the thought of having something clean and comfy to wear. "Come untie this stupid gown so I can get the hell out of it." Her eyes shifted to the door again.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »
Actually ending that kiss was a chore in itself, especially after this reveal. Though he hated what had to happen for them to finally admit their feelings for each other, he was more than happy that it was finally out in the open...well, figuratively.

When she spoke into his mind again, he couldn't help but arch a brow, a smirk gracing his lips.

"And that ain' what we've been doin' this whole time? I know how it is, Sparrow. Ya know we've been playin' this game fer awhile. No worries." He let out a small chuckle, though he managed to only keep it in his head with no outward signs. "I know th' score. Only difference is what we 'ave ta hide."

He let her go when she pulled away, his gaze slipping to the bag on the floor. "Yeah, made sure ta grab ya some things before I came in. Didn't figure ya would wanna parade in a hospital gown while ya were here."

When she asked for his help, he was only too willing to comply, even if only for so innocent a gesture. He too glanced at the door as he moved toward her, casting out with his mind to 'listen' beyond it.

"No one nearby outside, so no worries jus' yet. 'Ere, don' move too much, some'un decided to tie these knots extra tight." His words were low in her ear, quiet enough that no one not in the room would never have a chance to hear them.

After only a few moments, he'd undone the knots trailing down her back, stepping away to give her some space. "There ya go, Bird Brain. Ya need any more help? They told me ya had a hellova number done on yer ribs and whatnot. So if it hurts...well, I'm here."

Offline Blink

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »
Even though Vaas had seen her uncovered many times before Sparrow still reached down and grabbed the bag, throwing the shirt she had just been holding on top as she made her way towards the bathroom. It wasn't until Vaas reminded her that she even remembered that her ribs were bruised.

Closing the door behind her she let the gown slide off her shoulders, taking in the full image of herself in the mirror. The sight took her breath away, all the discoloration wrapping around her left side from under her breast back and around her shoulder and down to her hip. That must have been where she landed, had to be with that kind of bruising. The rest were just small discolorations scattered all over, most likely from the fall as well or her battle with the lizard out there. She couldn't even imagine what she looked like when she first came in, it was obvious they had cleaned her up quite a bit considering her hair was magically clean. Hopefully, it wasn't some creep that did it while she was sedated.

"Ya' know Vaas. I'm not one to usually brag but these are some pretty badass battle scars.." she joked from behind the door. Thankfully Vaas had grabbed a pair of her favorite sweatpants, of course, black but with a stretchy waste which was perfect considering. They even easily slid over the bandages on her calf. Next, she grabbed the t-shirt and slid it on, wincing when she raised her arms to fit through the holes. Again it was black, as was most of her wardrobe.

When she was done she opened the door, stepping out and throwing the bag on the bed. Without warning she then reached down and lifted up the corner of her shirt, pulling it up just under her breast to show Vaas the bruises. "I'm a mother fucking beast!" Again she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"But seriously I need help getting socks on, I can't bend down."

Marakai2.0

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 05:03:53 am »
This was the part of their link he hated the most. He couldn't see what she saw, but he could feel the emotions that slipped through into conscious thought - he'd long ago learned how to separate his own from that of others, but when it came to hers he was worried.

Through the door, he could tell she was trying to make light of whatever it was she saw, but he could also feel that first moment of shock when she first discovered it. Outwardly, he winced, glad for the door between them.

"Yeah, I bet. Collectin' all sorta battle damage, aintcha?" He chuckled a bit as he leaned against the wall outside the door. His arms were crossed over his chest, the back of his head pressed against the wall as he stared up at the ceiling.

When the bathroom door clicked open, he pushed himself off the wall. His gaze followed her as she moved toward the bed, and when she began to turn he began to walk. He stopped when she lifted up her shirt to show the massive bruise on her side, letting out a sympathetic hiss. That had to hurt.

"Must be a fuckin' beast, if'n ya were runnin' 'round the wastes with tha' bigass bruise. Shit, Sparrow, tha's gotta hurt like a bitch..." He took a step toward her, putting himself just within arm's reach, and put out a hand to trace a finger over her bruised flesh. "Better hope they got ya on some good fuckin' pain meds, 'r movin' 'round is gonna be a real pain." He looked up from her bruise to look her in the eye, a smirk on his face. "An' then I'll be list'nin' to all kinda bellyachin' from ya, won't I?"

He did care that she hurt, but he also knew that she wouldn't appreciate being coddled about it - simply another thing that they had in common. He himself knew that he'd have to be nearly in a full body cast before he'd accept being waited on hand and foot.

"Heh, ya can getcher self dressed with that big fuckin' thing on yer side, butcha can't bend over. Socks 't gonna be yer demise, Bird Brain." He stepped around her to toss the bag further up the bed, giving her space to sit.

"Ya take a seat, an' I'll help ya out."

Offline Blink

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 09:12:12 am »
Finger tracing skin, whether bruised or not, sent a chilling shiver up her spine.

"Ha, don't worry, there won't be any complaining from me." Sparrow pulled her shirt back down while Vaas moved the bag for her to sit. For some reason, despite their joking, Sparrow felt the air was still a bit tense. Whether it was the heavy conversation Vaas and her had just shared or the fact that her commander was somewhere within these walls suffering worse than she had she did not know.

Taking a seat on the edge of the bed Sparrow winced again, drawing in a deep breath to try and hide any discomfort.

"So you really couldn't get any info on Grisham?" It was evident Sparrow was not pleased with the thought. "You probably weren't persistent enough." With a click of her tongue, she rolled her eyes, turning her head to stare at the door again. "You know where he's at in here at least?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 05:20:25 pm »
Vaas caught her shiver, a smug smirk curling his lips at one corner of his mouth. He wanted to show her just how much he'd missed her, how much he loved her, in a way that couldn't be conveyed through telepathy.

But, alas, that wouldn't be prudent in their current environment. Especially considering the circumstances.

"Heh. I'll believe tha' when I getta see it, Sparrow. Even if th' bellyachin' is jus' ta torture me, I c'n see it comin' already." He grinned up at her, the steel in his eyes flashing for a moment through a veil of black hair.

As he worked her socks up her feet, he grimaced. "I asked, tha's all. They wouldn't tell me shit. Hell, I had ta scream an' yell jus' ta get in yer room, an' they fuckin' called me." He huffed, irritated. It was stupid, the way they called him as her emergency contact, and then made him invent about thirty brand new swear words before they pointed him in the right direction.

"Tell ya what, though. I'll see wha' I c'n fin' out. I linked wit' 'im once b'fore, shouldn't be tha' hard ta feel fer 'im." Vaas finished with her last sock, and one brow raised when his fingers came in contact with a bandage on her leg. With that hand, he traced the breadth of it, gripping her leg lightly.

"Another 'un, hmm?" He glanced back up at her, blowing his hair out of his eyes as he did. "....mind tellin' me jus' what 'appened ou' there? If it's....no' too much fer ya, I mean."

Offline Blink

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:18:10 pm »
With a nod, Sparrow acknowledged Vaas's plan to find Grisham. She would find him, and if not by Vaas then by whatever means necessary. Like hell, any of these idiots could keep her from being at his side for the second time. And if any of them tried to shove another needle in her arm she would show them just how serious she was.

Already working herself up for whatever they were about to get themselves into Sparrow was thrown off by Vaas's next statement. She hadn't even realized he was holding her leg where the bandage was until he mentioned it.

"I fell asleep..."

Drawing in a deep breath Sparrow shuttered for a moment, recalling exactly everything that had actually happened in the wastes. It was too much to explain in one sitting, and quite frankly she wasn't looking forward to reliving every detail. Instead, she opted to explain her injuries, maybe that would be enough.

" The bruises are from the fall." Sparrow then lifted up her right wrist and held it in her sites, examining the bandage around it. "I fried my chip when I tried to throw up a field and absorb some of the impact." Letting her hand fall down into her lap she continued.

"I didn't evacuate high enough so even the drop pack didn't slow me down to a safe range. I don't remember hitting the ground, only waking up and feeling like everything was broken." She swallowed, wanting to move past ever thinking of how that felt again.

"There was this lizard that followed me for a few days. It was at least a five footer, maybe seven with the tail. Every time I thought I had lost it, it showed up again. It was always close, but never close enough for me to do anything about." Another swallow as she tried to push down any feelings that may have been surfacing. "I didn't sleep for five days."

Finally pulling her attention from her hands in her lap Sparrow looked at Vaas, her face expressionless.

"I woke up to it dragging me out by my leg."

Marakai2.0

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 07:28:22 pm »
Vaas listened to her as she spoke, steely eyes staring intently into her own green ones, his face at first impassive. When at first she shuddered, his hand slid away from the bandage on her leg, up just slightly trace a tender touch meant to comfort.

He watched her raise her hand as she mentioned how she'd burnt out her microchip, his gaze sliding from her face to lock with the bandaged appendage. When her hand settled back in her lap, he released her leg and both hands rose to take that one hand in a light grip.

At her shudder, he finally pushed himself up to stand, releasing her damaged hand to instead settle a hand upon her shoulder, looking down at her while she stared into her lap. She continued to speak; he continued to listen, determined to let her voice her arduous ordeals, to get it off her chest.

When she finally looked up at him, his gaze was soft, the steely glint in his gray eyes all but gone. He remained wordless for a moment, simply looking at her, before moving both hands behind her head and gently pulling her against his chest, fingers threaded through her hair.

It was a moment before he spoke, his voice clear as he fought away his own accent.

"When you sleep, and you have nightmares, Sparrow...fight them. You've already beaten them once, in life." He pulled her away from his chest, and leaned down to press his lips into her hair, one hand sliding to caress her cheek.

"And you'll beat them again, and I'll be here to help you. It's over, now. You're back, and it's over."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal