Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Silver Linings [Cinnabun]  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Zero Undead

Silver Linings [Cinnabun]
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:25 pm »
The drive to Tynova was the longest trip of the young Mordecai’s life, and not just because it was a several hour journey. Honestly Clay didn’t mind the drive. There was something kind of relaxing about cruising down the major roadways between his birth city and the capitol city, radio pouring out the current supposedly hip music. Hours of nothing but background music and driving did let him stew, and that was what made it a long trip.

Two years of what he thought was serious dating and she just dumped him with a text message because he was transferred to another city. It wasn’t even so much that they broke up as that she couldn’t even do it to his face, and that she decided to do it the morning of his move. She had known for weeks, and had never hinted that she wasn’t okay with it.

Clay had hoped to ask her to move to Tynova with him once he got settled in. He had wanted to propose to her within the next year. All his careful future planning flushed down the drain with a single, cold text. She had even blocked him afterwards so he couldn’t ask if they could try to make it work somehow.

With the help of the GPS he pulled into the parking garage of the government housing complex. A lot of mages and Mordecai were issued condos here, and they had given him one when he accepted the transfer. That was the only happy thought as he got out of his truck. He had worked with several mages, just practicing teamwork with them, but none had been assigned to him. Clay wouldn’t be a fill-in here; he’d actually have a mage partner or two that worked almost exclusively with him. It was exciting, what he had been working towards for years.

His future work partners might even live in the same building. It was actually probable. Clay couldn’t wait to meet them. First he had to move in, though. Luckily he had packed pretty light, there were only a handful of boxes and suitcases for him to move from the truck to the new place. They told him it was already furnished, so that made it even easier.

Several trips in the elevator later, Clay was in his new living room, unpacking the few things he’d brought – basic kitchenware and utensils, the clothing got folded and put in their drawers or hung up, a couple pictures of his family went on the wall, and a framed photo of Hannah went into the trash.

He had packed before that text.

All-in-all it looked painfully like a bachelor pad. Bare-bones on any kind of décor or personalization, but Clay could work on making it more home-like as he went. At least the government provided them with fairly nice little apartments.

It was early evening and he already felt worn out as he plopped down on his new couch. Dinner was going to be a problem, obviously he had absolutely no groceries and going to the store sounded exhausting. He could look up take-out places nearby that delivered. That would really drive home the bachelor status. It still felt weird thinking about it.

At least he didn’t have to worry about work until Monday. It was Friday, so he had a whole weekend to pull himself together and stop moping about his now ex-girlfriend. New city meant a completely fresh start now. No girlfriend just meant he could focus on his career for a bit.

Silver linings.

Offline Bunbun

Re: Silver Linings [Cinnabun]
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:45:13 pm »
Getting herself acquainted with a new Mordecai was an activity that Clair had gotten much too familiar with over the years. It was something that happened much more often than she would have liked, and a change of partner often resulted in her having to move to a new location. It could get tiring after a while, and since it was something Clair had been dealing with for as long as she could remember, it was fair to say that she'd gotten a bit sick of it.

Of course, she didn't blame anyone for the unfortunate situation she often found in. It was important for mages and Mordecai to work well together, especially in a case like hers where the nature of her job and the volatility of her magic could easily result in someone getting hurt or killed if anything went wrong. It was only natural that finding someone who was a good fit for her wouldn't be a simple task.

Having to move around all the time still took its toll, though, which was why Clair was relieved to learn that she'd be staying put this time around. Her last partnership had led her to the city of Tynova, and she'd finally begun to get used to living there, so the news that her new partner would be moving here had come as a pleasant surprise.

It would be for the best if they could synergize well this time around and actually stay partners, but she wasn't about to get her hopes too high.

That being said, she was going to do whatever she could to eat least try to make it work, and despite all the hardships that came with changing partners, it was always exciting to meet whoever the next one happened to be. For now, all she needed to worry about was introducing herself.

She'd been notified of the Mordecai's arrival in the building a while earlier, but decided against going over to meet them right away- chances were that they already had enough on their plate with getting unpacked and settling in. She didn't want their first meeting to be an overwhelming one, and so she ended up spending an hour or so in her apartment before deciding to make her way over to her new partner's.

She briefly considered getting herself all dressed up, but quickly thought better of it- it wasn't like she was always going to have the time and energy to make herself look perfect, especially not with a job like hers.

A few minutes later, Clair found herself at the door to where she was fairly certain her partner was staying. Giving the door a knock (and producing a few small jingles from her bracelets as she did so), she took a step back and patiently awaited a response, silently hoping she wasn't interrupting anything.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:01:33 pm »
Scrolling through his phone was turning up an almost overwhelming number of options, not only in different types of take out, but for each one there seemed to be several options. It wasn’t like this was abnormal for a megacity. Clay probably would have thought there were a staggering amount of options in his home city if he were looking up places to eat there for the first time. The difference was back home he didn’t have to look any up because he already knew his favorite places to eat out.

Defaulting to pizza seemed like a safe option, and he could have cold leftovers for breakfast before heading out to do actual grocery shopping. At least with pizza he recognized some big chains that had been in business back home too. Thinking of home just made him a little homesick. Maybe he should call his parents, let them know he made it safe and was getting all settled in fine.

Clay made a soft sound of annoyance and tossed his phone on the coffee table. He was being stupid. There was no reason to miss home. The government provided him with everything he could possibly need. Moving had been his idea and he’d jumped at the offer to transfer. This was the best opportunity he was going to get and here he was barely in Tynova and already missing home. The city was beautiful and the most advanced cultural center on Edanith. Getting to live here with everything provided and paid by the country was an enormous honor and privilege.

The Mordecai just needed to make some friends. That would fix everything. Clay wouldn’t be homesick once he had a new social circle to fill the void of his family and friends being so far away.

It was about that time, in his rambling thoughts that someone knocked on his door, causing him to jump a bit. Who could that be? He didn’t know anybody yet and wasn’t expecting anyone. Maybe a neighbor saw him moving in and wanted to say hi? That seemed pretty plausible. It might have also been someone from the department coming to check up on how he was getting settled in.

Clay got up and opened the door somewhat cautiously. It wasn’t exactly what he was expecting. The first thing his eyes were drawn to was the mandatory mage band that would have been plugged into the woman’s ports. After that his eyes swept over her curiously. She didn’t look much like she was actually of Edani heritage, but she was clearly a mage and that was all that really mattered. It still wasn’t what he expected, but of course his neighbor might be a mage. It was common practice to house them together, after all.

“Oh, hello. Are you my new neighbor?” Clay didn’t know that his new partner already knew when he was arriving and where he would be staying. They hadn’t told him about her at all except that he had a mage with fairly strong and dangerous magic he’d be working with.

Offline Bunbun

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:01:15 pm »
Judging by his reaction when he first opened the door, the Mordecai seemed to be intrigued by Clair's appearance. This was another one of those things that she’d gotten more used to over the years, and she’d more or less just come to terms with it by now. It was no secret that she looked a bit off in comparison to your average Edani woman, and that naturally led to more than her fair share of strange looks. She couldn’t really blame them for being curious about something that even she wasn’t too sure about, though, and it typically didn’t go any further than that- most people knew better than to purposefully upset a mage.

This Mordecai, on the other hand, was… well, he was definitely Edani. There wasn’t too much about his looks that particularly jumped out at her, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing- it gave him a sense of familiarity that made her just a bit more comfortable around him, even if they’d never actually met before.

“Neighbor…? Well, I suppose you could call it that. I do live in the building, if that’s what you’re asking. My room is actually a few floors up, but that’s hardly relevant at the moment.” Averting her gaze for a moment to briefly inspect whatever parts of the room she could see from her position, Clair made note of a few items that she figured belonged to the Mordecai. There wasn’t much, but at least there was something.

“I was told you would be arriving earlier today, but I didn’t want to get in the way of your unpacking. You’re the Mordecai that just transferred here, correct? If that’s the case…” She held out her arm towards him, offering a handshake. “…allow me to introduce myself. My name is Clair, and as you’ve probably figured, I’m a mage. We’re going to be working together for the foreseeable future.”

Her words might have sounded almost like they were rehearsed, and in truth, they might as well have been. There were only so many ways you could say the same thing before you started to fall into a pattern.

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:30:38 am »
So not his neighbor? Clay was momentarily confused why she was there if she lived a few floors away. Maybe she was part of some building welcoming committee? She certainly seemed to be trying to peek inside his apartment. There wasn’t much to see, but he didn’t know what to do or say. At least until she started talking again. Someone had told her he was moving in today. Things started clicking together and then she held out her hand and introduced herself formally.

“Oh! I had no idea you knew who I was.” They hadn’t told him anything about her, but he figure they were just waiting until he got here. He reached out to grasp her hand firmly, giving a steady shake before letting go. “I’m Clayton Darcy, but please just call me Clay. I wasn’t expecting you, they didn’t tell me anything. I didn’t even know your name, just that I had a combat mage partner waiting for me.”

Clay realized that they were just standing there, with Clair in the hall and him kind of blocking the doorway. Should he invite her in? That seemed like the polite thing to do. They were going to be partners, after all.

“Um, would you like to come in?” He opened the door wider and stepped to the side, making plenty of room for her to get by. “I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way to offer you for refreshments. There’s tap water and a few glasses, but I really haven’t had time to do any grocery or housewares shopping yet. I was planning on putting that all off until tomorrow. It’s been a day with all the driving and carrying boxes from the truck up here.”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal