Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: When She Loved Me [Solo Oneshot]  (Read 212 times)

Offline GoblinFae

When She Loved Me [Solo Oneshot]
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:36 am »
Seeing her mother always brought a lightness to her heart. It never mattered the distance nor the time apart, the moment she remembered her mother, she was home again. Being a Pilot had made things difficult over the years to always make it home, to be there for holidays or times when it mattered most but, days like today she was always grateful for the chance to go home. Her mother had smiled so brightly at breakfast. It was as if that smile alone powered the lights in the entire room it was so bright and warm.

The food was a rare treat, a trip out to eat instead of at home, but the family was together and happy. This was how it was every year. Mummyji would tell the stories of her pregnancies, the failed ones and the blessings. She would recount how the eldest son had been such a little warrior boy, always wanting to look out for his parents and friends. But, also how lazy a little boy he could be as he would fall asleep at the drop of a hat and always in the most peculiar places. The memories never got old and always held a special place in all their hearts.

She would laugh with them and smile, her head bobbing slightly as the warm tones of her family’s voices washed over her. She missed this more and more with each passing year. Being away was always so hard but coming home was bittersweet. Seeing Mummyji, Papaji, and Lee always made her miss them that much more.

Today was a good day though. It was routine and everyone was happy. As the meal wound down, Jain quietly excused herself, catching her mother’s glance and smile before returning it with a smile of her own. After making her way to the front of the restaurant, she quietly pointed out her family to the manager and asked to cover their tab. No muss, no fuss. This is what she did every year, one of the few gifts she felt she could give them without causing trouble.

Things were taken care of without ceremony, a scan of her chip and the woman was moving to slip out the door. There was no need for goodbyes. That would just complicate things and today was supposed to be a good and happy day. She had only been able to get the four days off and two of those were primarily dedicated to travel. There was no need to upset her family with her parting. She could already imagine the number of hugs and tears her mother would offer up, each one getting hard to walk away from. No, it was better this way.

A shout dragged her abruptly from her thoughts as a moment later a tall man pulled into view. “Miss!” he declared, holding out a length of cloth to her. “You left your scarf. I wanted to catch you before you missed it. It’s really cute,” he continued with a wink, “kinda like you.”

Jain smiled softly, her eyes a bit sad as she pressed her palms together and dipped her head “Namaste, and thank you. I had indeed forgotten it.” She glanced back to the restaurant, seeing her parents staring back at her and smiling as they spoke to each other before looking back to the man with mismatched eyes and a lopsided smile.

“It’s Mother’s Day. Keep it, a gift for your Mummyji. It’s not really my style anyway.” Jain smiled and nodded to her parents even as she turned once more and walked away. Behind her Lee sputtered a thank you and returned to their parents. A scarf with small, blue five-petaled flowers on it soon rested around Mummyji Dau’s neck and the family went about their day, thankful to the stranger for her gift but more focused on their own family unit’s plans.

Jain was no longer part of that family. She was a stranger who had drifted away, faded from memory, lonely and forgotten. She would not forget any of it though, the way her brother had cracked his usual stupid jokes, the way Papaji had held her mother close, or the smile Mummyji had unknowingly sent her daughter the moment their eyes met.

She knew that they still loved her, or would if they knew she was theirs. Because, when somebody loved you, everything was beautiful. Every moment spent together was special to Jain and she carried each precious one within her heart. Moments like today made it feel like when her mother loved her dearly, and for that Jain would be forever grateful.

“Happy Mother’s Day, Mummyji. I love you too,” she spoke aloud to no one. Her voice was just another lonely whisper in the wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal