Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Easy To Fall [Goblin]  (Read 396 times)

Cheesigator

Easy To Fall [Goblin]
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »
Plague sat back in his chair with a heavy sigh as he threw his arms up over his head and stretched. His back ached from leaning over his desk, doing paperwork, making correspondences with PR, with government officials, with getting the legal work out of the way for this new squad he'd signed himself up for.

He was a doctor, not a lawyer. There had been a few brief moments where he'd wondered if he'd gotten in over his head with this, but he enjoyed his teammates so far, and felt like they were working for a good enough cause. But hands down what made it the most interesting, what made him the most grateful for the job offer, and for accepting, was the squad commander.

She was interesting, energetic in a rather bull-headed way that he kind of found really amusing. He couldn't help his slight smiles and smirks whenever they were doing team exercises or activities, or when she occasionally stepped into chat to pester her old childhood friend Yavul. Her antics never ceased to lighten the day a little bit, even though she could be so grumpy and irritable, and he found her to be a perfect mix of the two. Silly, yet serious. Good-hearted, yet a hardass. Even if she drank too much and some of her other habits concerned him, he was also fairly certain it was something that could be... Worked through.

Just give it time, and perhaps this squad would help pull her out of that funk; she was too good a person to waste away like that.

He sent off the last email and let out a heavy sigh of relief, because now it was time to get his few things packed to go spend Yule with his ridiculously large family, something he was secretly dreading. He was so tired of going there every year to hear the same questions; "When are you going to retire?" "When are you going to settle down and start a family?" "Are you going for a promotion?"

Ugh, that one in particular, though--settling down, starting a family. It made his jaw set a little as he stared at the ceiling of his office and suddenly had a thought to check his comm. In there, he saw Blu in the pilot chat and he snorted quietly, attention instantly diverted to his pretty squad leader as she teased some of the others.

It was still fairly early in the day, he realized after a quick glance at the time. He asked her where she was, she said she was in her office.

... Maybe he could put off that train ride a little while longer. He needed to give her her presents, anyways.

He quickly got out of his chair, tossing his waistcoat on and grabbing the vase of lilies he'd picked out for her based on the meanings associated--amaryllis belladonnas and parrot lilies specifically, along with the pretty plum purple (and ridiculously soft) scarf and mittens he'd also grabbed for her which had been thoughtfully placed in a golden gift bag and tissue paper, and decided to wander his way on up, sending her his warning before he did so.

She definitely needed a break from work, and he was free, and she hadn't mentioned having any plans for Yule so... Why not?

His brows knitted together as he walked and thought of what he'd ask her to do with him, given that this was kind of a spur of the moment thing he hadn't had a plan of course. But it'd be rude if he bothered her and then had no idea of what to do--no, that wouldn't do at all.

Ice skating? Would she do that?

Maybe he could just ask her to come with and surprise her with it--no, she didn't seem the type to like those kinds of surprises.

He paused in the hallway that led to her office, sucking in a breath before he came over and poked his head through the doorway, hiding the gifts behind the wall as he rapped his knuckles on it.

"Evening, Blu." He said quietly as he stood up straight and slid that free hand in his pocket as he let himself in and offered her the bag after he set the flowers down on her desk. "Yule fairy's here to bring you your gifts." He rumbled with a dry smirk at her.

It seemed like it didn't matter what time of the day or what day it was, but she was always a sight for sore eyes.

Offline GoblinFae

Re: Easy To Fall [Goblin]
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
True to her word, Blu had been working on updating patient reports when her trusted Squad Leader had messaged her asking if he could stop by. It gave her pause, though she chose to not dwell on it until he arrived. There was no sense in worrying over nothing until it was something. For all she knew, he was stopping by to discuss yet another updated schedule or set of PR changes, or a thousand other things.

Things had been a bit of a whirlwind for the squad akin to a spinning teacup whipping around while still moving along on its track. Blu had gone from the head of trauma surgery to Commander of a squad of combat medics. Each new squadmate was already proving themselves to be everything she had hoped for and more. Little by little she was growing to know them, to trust them, and even to learn with them. She found her heart starting to creak open to them in a way she had though impossible after she had sealed it shut after the war, after Coy, after...everything.

Blu shoved her mouse away, casting those thoughts away with it. As if on cue, Pilot Amoril popped his head into view, causing her to smile softly in return. She was not even going to dwell long on thoughts of why his presence seemed to cause this brightening reaction in her more and more of late. Perhaps it was his soothing, stalwart presence that brooked no argument, only resolute action. Perhaps it was those hypnotizing eyes of his that always without fail, dragged Blu into their amber depths.

"Good evening, Plague," she replied, moving to her feet to accept the gift from him as a dark brow quirked in amusement at him. "Is that what you've become?" She chuckled softly as her eyes took in the flowers with a great deal of surprise. To anyone that truly took the time to notice or pay attention to Blu, they would know how she adored flowers. What few knew though was that during her time serving in Margad, Blu picked up several books on the language of flowers and had come to absolutely adore it. Those books had been part of her saving grace during those particularly lonely and dark days after the war. Now though she saw those fragrant and beautiful petals spouting words only she could hear and her heart stuttered a few beats at the meaning that Plague unknowingly was sending her. There was friendship and well-wishes of prosperity and luck written in striped pink paired with compliments on her determined and strong beauty in Yule red.

Flushing in embarrassment for having read too much into things and feeling rather flustered, she hurried to open one of her desk drawers and pull out a neatly wrapped package of her own. "It seems though you are not the only fairy on the loose today. This is for you," she beamed handing over the heavy rectangle. "I would say you should wait until Yule to open it but I don't think a few hours early will hurt. At least, I won't tell if you don't," she chuckled as her fingers fidgeted with the edges of the bag he had given her. Blu wasn't sure if she should open it then or wait until later and in her mini rollercoaster of emotions she did not realize she had thus far failed to even thank him for bringing gifts in the first place.

Cheesigator

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 12:02:05 am »
Honestly, he wasn't entirely sure if getting her flowers had been the world's best idea, but something in his gut had told him to do it and he just assumed it would be right. Flowers were a tad bit cliche, he was well aware, and Blu was a woman who deserved everything but cliches; she was unique and strong in her own right, and she required gifts and attention equally as special. But he didn't know her quite well enough to give that--yet. He had every intention of fixing it.

After all, they were on the same squad together and all. How could he not?

Still, he caught the brief look in her eyes when she observed the flowers and his eyebrows raised just a smidgen. What had that look been? He thought he also caught the barest hint of color tinting her cheeks, though he wasn't sure sometimes if he should trust his own eyes when it came to these things, so he watched her body language, which spoke so much louder than her words of politeness did.

She was a smart woman, and Plague didn't know everything about her, but his gut tugged at him so he arched an eyebrow as she handed him a package, which he hadn't been expecting in the slightest. Not that he thought Blu was cheap or didn't care about him or the other squad members--but the squad had only been together for such a short time. He found himself smiling softly regardless, leaning back against the wall as he nodded in agreement to her sentiment.

"Ahh yes, well I'd appreciate the secrecy. Last thing I need is punishment on Yule, seeing my family will be enough." He winked at her and smiled again, nodding at her present. "I'll open mine if you open yours," Whoops that came out sounding a little forward, not at all what he meant, "Since that's only fair. Then neither of us can tell and we both won't get in trouble."

Definitely sounded way worse than intended BUT he kept the tone of his voice level, which would help sound it slightly less awful.

"You interested in the meaning of flowers and all that?" He asked out of curiosity as he popped the tape off of the wrapping paper with quick fingers and utter care, admiring the wrapping job and still smiling to himself as he pulled the book out, and couldn't hide the grin as he saw what it was.

She was definitely observant.

He looked over at her, the grin fading a bit--only out of politeness' sake, as they were coworkers after all--as he nodded at her. "Thank you, this is very thoughtful. I'll enjoy reading it on the train."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 04:52:33 am »
Blu chuckled softly, her smile polite and warm at his mention of family. It was not his fault after all that she herself had no one and nowhere to go home to for the holiday. She would be busy working instead. It was easier that way to convince herself it was something that needed doing and a noble cause rather than just a pitiful need to be busy and kept from aching for something she had been forced to give up long ago.

She looked down at the gift bag and smiled more genuinely, her blue eyes twinkling ever so slightly. "A brilliant proposal, Plague. Both equally guilty and equally innocent," she chuckled softly as long piano fingers plucked out the tissue paper on top. His choice of words amused her though she took them as nothing more than as the innocent manner he had intended them.

Mention of the flowers though did cause her to pause in drawing out the squishy tissue wrapped gift as her other hand unconsciously moved to stroke at the silky petals lovingly. "Thank you for these! I apologise, I didn't mean to appear rude. I," Blu paused wanting to say how much she adored flowers but then that seemed to personally and unprofessional of her somehow. "Lived in Margad for several years," she continued instead. "Hard to live there without picking up a thing or two about their sweet flower language."

The Commander beamed then as thanks was returned to her. "You are most welcome, Plague. I am forever grateful to have you on my squad and at my side. Your hardwork and attention to detail makes everything run smoothly in ways I could not possibly make happen on my own. So thank you!" As she spoke she gently undid the last of the gold tissue paper to reveal those beautiful, plush knot goods. Her thumbs dug into the mittens and scarf, stroking them appreciatively before bringing them up to rub gleefully against her face with a laugh.

"These are wonderful, thank you! I don't think I've ever felt yarn so soft before. They'll definitely be put to good use," she continued to chuckle. It was no mystery just how much Blu loathed being cold and at this time of year Amristah was anything but warm. A glance to the clock revealed that the day had flown by again on her. "Are you headed home after this then?"

Cheesigator

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 01:50:29 am »
If there was one thing that Raphael had noticed within the past few weeks he'd been on this squad with Blu, it was how much he loved to look at her whenever she wasn't paying attention--which, yes, sounded pretty creepy now that he thought about it. But he didn't mean it that way; he kept his thoughts PG. Thought about what her skin might feel like if he brushed the backs of his knuckles against her cheekbone or under her chin to tilt her head up to look her in the eyes, and that was usually as far as he let things go.

It was impossible to deny that he was incredibly attracted to her, and her appearance only played so small a role in that.

Moments like these were what made her so fascinating to him; moments where she wasn't just their strong, brave commander, but when she let her personality shine, particularly through that smile. He loved her smile the most, he figured. She was so bright when she did, like a star. It made him wonder how in the hell nobody had scooped her up yet to put a ring on her finger, but that also wasn't any of his business.

But when she mentioned--a bit disjointedly--that she had lived in Margad for a time, that caused his eyebrows to raise just a bit as he smiled a little to himself.

"Ah, so then you picked up on what they meant." He said simply, "When it comes to herbs I don't pick randomly. It has so much more depth when you put solid meaning behind it."

And that was all he said on the matter, watching with a warmth im his eyes as she pulled his gift to her out from the bag and saw her reaction. He had been unsure just how generic a gift a set of mittens and a scarf would be, so he'd tried to pick a unique color, unsure of what else he could get for her that she would actually get some use out of.

He waved away her compliments with a smile. "You never give yourself enough credit, Commander," He lightly teased, "This whole thing was your idea. And you definitely knoe what you're doing. Seeing you lead this squad is an absolute pleasure, a great experience. I'm thankful every day that you invited me along for the ride."

He tucked the book under his arm, glancing at the clock when she did and he shrugged at her question. "I'm glad you like them--but ah, truth be told, I'm trying to put off getting on that train for as long as possible," He was mostly joking about that, and the light-hearted tone of his voice gave it away as he looked at her, "So I was wondering if you'd like to join me on an adventure. Take a break from all this work." He nodded to her desk full of said work.

"Ice skating or something. I haven't been since I was a kid, could be fun."

He hoped she would say yes.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:58:36 am »
Her eyes widened slightly and her cheeks flushed darkly beneath her plum markings at the notion that he knew the exact meaning behind the flowers he had given her. Blu did her best not to focus on it though. It was easy to brush away how she most likely was mistaken in the interpretation. After all it had been about five years since she had left the flower dome for other adventures. She had never really paid much attention to it all beyond picking up a book or two or twelve and reading them with a bottle of red.

"Thank you," she replied to his compliments, her head humbly lowered in quiet thanks. Blu would keep her own thoughts to herself. There was no need to argue about inconsequential things the night before Yule. She knew that ideas were only successful when there were people willing and able to execute them. The Amristah Angels may have been her brainchild but without her squad it would have died there without making it off the ground. For that she was grateful to all of them but especially Raphael. Where Blu was stubborn and always wanting to blaze ahead like fire, he was like a flowing river, calm and sure. He went with the flow but still had the strength to forge his own path with enough gentle determination. It was one of the many things she admired about him.

She smiled and raised a brow at his offer though. Blue eyes slid over to look at the blinking cursor of the computer screen and the reports she was wrapping up before flicking back up to his hopeful face. "Ice skating, eh?" Blu was stalling, mulling the idea over in her head before nodding her head slightly. She leaned down over her desk, allowing the mouse to click and save a couple things before putting the technology to sleep. She would be back later that evening and all the next day. That was plenty of time for doing last minute paperwork.

The commander straightened, her arms raising high above her head until her back popped with a satisfying crack and she smiled. "I've never been ice skating before," Blu admitted as she slid her labcoat off and moved to trade it for her winter jacket. "If that doesn't put you off, I'd welcome the change of scenery. I'll try anything once," she chuckled. His newly gifted scarf was already being wound about her neck and the mittens soon found their ways onto her stained hands. "Shall we?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal