Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Just the Usual, Please [Draco]  (Read 595 times)

Cheesigator

Just the Usual, Please [Draco]
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:33:07 am »
It seemed like it was getting harder and harder these days to find public restrooms to use that were suitable for sprucing one's self up in.

Matt turned off the sink and looked at himself in the mirror, water dripping from his face. He'd just finished with another client and they'd... Kind of made a mess. Fuck. He hated this so much. He let out a short huff of a sigh, turning and using some toilet paper to dry himself off with so he looked at least somewhat ordinary and presentable to the public again. Seriously, he'd been lucky to get those stains out of his clothes, but...

He looked at himself in the mirror again, tilting his head to the side and seeing the bruise on his neck. Jeese. It was tacky and unnecessary, and it made him feel even more self-conscious than he already was.

His tail curled around his leg, unsure exactly of just what he could do now. His ears flattened against his head and he bit his lip, using his fingers to help his mental math as he tried to figure out just where he was standing with his bank statement.

It was tricky; everything in today's age relied on having a phone or immediate access to a computer or the internet. But what if your phone had been stolen and you were homeless? Well then you were just shit out of luck.

Either way he still had nowhere near enough for a downpayment for an apartment, and the first month's rent they would probably want on top of it, and the security deposit. He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed, shoving his hands in the pockets of his vest and trudging out of the grocery store, back onto the streets. He was sore, he didn't exactly want to go back to work again... But...

One of his ears flicked and he raised his head a little, catching the scent of coffee in the air. Maybe... Maybe he could go stop by that cafe. It was the only pleasure he allowed himself while he was trying to save up, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to stop by again.

Matt's favorite cafe wasn't his favorite because of the brews there (although he had to admit the tea and coffee was pretty good,) no, he liked to go there because he had a crush on the guy who ran the shop.

He knew from how many times he went there--he tried to go irregularly, so it wouldn't seem to weird or... Stalkery--that the man's name was Lune, and he owned the cafe because he was there pretty much all the time. And Matt had not a single complaint about that; he had such a nice-looking face, such a handsome stature and a nice voice, he loved to just go there and watch him work.

Did that make him weird? Probably.

But he always told himself it didn't really matter because, outside of taking his order, the two of them had never talked. He'd picked up his name only from overhearing it from other customer conversations, and kept it that way. Besides, the guy probably already had a family, he definitely seemed like he would've been good father material. So that was why he didn't pursue anything--well, that and... He didn't have the self confidence anymore. Or the guts.

He was just some lowlife street whore, he had no business going after somebody like that. Or anybody at all really. But that sure wouldn't stop him from looking and dreaming.

He stepped into the quaint little cafe, smiling a little to himself when he saw Lune behind the counter, hard at work preparing someone's order. He waited patiently in line, tail tucked against one of his legs, and asked for his usual, before sitting down at a table by a window with his coffee and pretending to watch the world go by, slipping glances at the man with pink hair behind the counter whenever he thought he wasn't looking.

Offline Draconian

Re: Just the Usual, Please [Draco]
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:16 pm »
The world was grey.

Lune's senses were filled with the scent of coffee and tea and he smiled politely at the customers. The Pilots didn't like him - he was reflectivist, they couldn't read his mind. No one could. Not even the dragons. He made them nervous. So, he quietly lived in the apartment above the cafe. Worked. Kept the books. Made as little of an impact as possible. Look as unsuspicious as possible.  Live his life.

What little he had of it left.

Of course he noticed the boy with the ears. They were a defining feature in a city with mostly humans and people who didn't have large twitchy ears. Lune served him his drink and watched him sit down. It was easy enough to grab a cloth and go about cleaning tables. Washing cups. A quiet afternoon. The kid always smelled different. Lune didn't try to notice but he always smelled subtly like someone else

The bakery items were delivered daily from a bakery down the street. Cute little ones that made the cafe smell the littlest bit sweeter. Lune took a deep breath and glanced away before he picked a muffin out of the display case and put it on a plate with a napkin. "Here, Kid," Lune said, moving to the table the kid was at.

"It's stale," He lied, sitting down across from him and pushing the muffin across. Lune rested his head on his hand, keeping on ear out for the door and for people walking to the counter. "You okay? You're lookin' kinda tired,"  Lune pushed a hand through his hair and leaned back, looking a little concerned.

Cheesigator

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:10:36 am »
Today, or at least right now, the cafe seemed to grow steadily quieter as customers left to go on about their daily business, until it was just Matt left in the cafe. It was a bit disappointing, because now it'd be far more obvious if he was caught staring that it was obviously Lune he was looking at.

So he turned his attention to the world outside the window pane, resting his chin in his hand after taking a sip of coffee and letting out a soft sigh. Man, what a day, he couldn't even look--

His ears twitched; he'd heard the sounds of Lune moving around, doing stuff, but it wasn't until a step obviously sounded closer that he looked and saw that the cafe owner had approached him, with a muffin on a plate, and slid it to him. He called Matt "Kid."

He blinked and stared dumbly at the muffin for a moment, obviously caught by surprise while his ears swiveled forward as he heard the man ask him what was wrong. He looked up at him; clearly he wasn't one for hiding his emotions. He was as easy to read as a book, the surprise and confusion blatantly obvious even if he didn't have cat ears to give everything away.

"I--uh--" He stammered, realizing immediately that he had... Absolutely no clue what to do.

He... This guy shouldn't have been talking to him! If he knew what he was talking to, then he probably wouldn't have come over, but even still they were just strangers; why would he offer him a muffin and ask him what was wrong as if they'd known each other for years? (Had they? He couldn't remember now how long he'd been coming to this cafe for. A couple of months maybe?)

"Um... T-Thanks." He hesitated for a moment as if he expected the man to tell him the stale muffin wasn't gonna be free, or to take it back like it was a joke, before he took it with slender fingers and looked away. A blush was tinging his cheeks from embarrassment and his own humiliation at the fact that he was at a loss for words and the handsome guy he had a crush on was sitting and talking to him and he hadn't the slightest clue on what to do or say.

"Just a uh, another long day at work, y'know?" He half-lied, trying to play it off and give Lune a smile. "You didn't have to bring me this, that's very thoughtful and kind of you."

Who knows, maybe he was a genuinely good person like Matt thought he was, and if he saw a customer who looked down in the dumps he just liked to try and cheer them up. Yeah, that was probably it--Matt was probably no special exception. As disappointing as it was to think that, it did help calm his nerves a little bit and pull his head back down to earth.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:23:42 pm »
Lune felt bad.

Legitimately bad.

He tilted his head at the boy, lifting his eyebrows up into his fluff of pink hair. Mismatched eyes took in the boys ears and how clearly his emotions ran over them. Of course, the slight change in the posture. The movements. Lune couldn't tell what colour his face was, couldn't see the blush but he smiled all the same at the boy and just pursed his lips.

"I've seen you around a few times," Lune said, his voice soft before he nodded to the muffin, "Cafe regular present." He smiled again and moved to stand up before he wandered away for a moment. The day was quiet and Lune knew that if this kid hadn't been in here he'd probably call the day done and lock up. Go upstairs to his home and relax.

Instead, he made himself a cup of coffee and returned to the table. This time with a sandwich, which he took half of. Plain ham and cheese that Lune had made earlier that morning, his own personal lunch. "So, tell me more about yourself. What's your name, Kid?" He bit into the sandwich and relaxed, eyes kind, "From around this neighborhood?" He nudged the half a sandwich closer and took a sip of his coffee.

Cheesigator

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »
A cafe regular present..?

Matt glanced down at the muffin, his tail instinctively curling around his leg. He wanted to curl up in a ball, go hide somewhere and die from contentedness. Lune had such a nice personality, he was so gentle and warm and comforting... And he got up and left.

Matt blinked, stared after him for a second before taking a bite out of the muffin, finding it was particularly good (and not stale, like at all.) Even though it tasted good, he wished he could have talked with Lune a little bit longer, made some actual good conversation and not just been an awkward fur ball--

Oh.

He stared at the man as he was rejoined by Lune, now with the cafe owner holding a sandwich. He said he wanted to know more about Matt, and the catboy's ears instantly flattened against his head, eyes widening a little with surprise and perhaps... A bit of fear.

Well, he'd just been wishing he could've made better conversation, so he better make up for it and use this second chance well right now, right? He swallowed the lump in his throat that wasn't muffin and forced himself to look at Lune again--but he never looked the man in the eyes. He always focused on a point slightly below, or maybe on his nose, or the center of his forehead.

Most of his customers didn't appreciate it when he looked them in the eyes. He was a service, not a person. Big difference, there.

"I-I'm not sure what there is to tell, really. Yes I... I'm from somewhat around here." He shrugged a little, eyeing the sandwich with a hint of suspicion and confusion. Was he really being that good a person, or was there some ulterior motive here?

No, he had to be a good person. Him, of all people... Matt really wanted him to be nice. Even if it was only for the selfish reason of fulfilling his fantasies. Just please let him be decent.

"And what about you? I always see you in here, you seem like you're full of mysteries." He said with a soft smile, finishing up his muffin and taking a sip of his coffee. "You're a great cook, and your coffee is my favorite. I'm always curious to know more about someone who can do such wonderful things.~" He rested his chin in his hand, tail tip swishing just a little as he started to relax a bit, feeling better that the conversation wasn't about him so much now. He didn't like talking about himself.

He could barely stand himself as it was.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:50:23 pm »
The no eye-contact and swift change of subject wasn't lost on the man.

Lune took in stride though, watching the kid while he clearly tried to decide if Lune had poisoned the sandwich or something. Another sip of coffee and a content sigh, eyes closed while swallowed and soaked up all that delicious bitter drink.

From somewhat around here.

Nice and vague. Lune felt bad for the kid. Pity bad. Not about to tell him that though. No one liked being pitied. Luna chewed on his lower lip and leaned forward, resting his chin on his hand while the kid turned the questions on him and he let them.

"Practice," Luna said, smiling ever so slightly, "Brew a few thousand liters of coffee and you'll be a pro in no time." A tease and he closed his eyes briefly, his head on his hand making him tired. Quickly he sat up and sipped his coffee again, rolling his shoulders and pursing his lips. "Kid," - because he still hadn't given him his name yet - "You looking for work?" A tilt of his head, curious eyebrows up.

Lune knew of the kid. Saw him in the shop. Noticed how he stayed for too long over a single cup of coffee - Lune would never complain or make note of it. The atmosphere was nice here. He'd done his best to make it comfortable. It was one of the few places people could speak freely, as a reflectivist, even the most talented dragons couldn't read his mind. "I have a few things that need to be cleaned if you wanna make a few extra bucks," He jerked his hand back to the coffee area, a door that said 'staff only'.

"I'm closing up shop here pretty soon. I pay handsomely," He teased, another sip of coffee and another bite of sandwich. It had been quiet all afternoon and the kid had been one of a few customers - but they'd all left with their coffee. Not the kid though.

Cheesigator

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:14:21 pm »
It seemed the owner of this cafe wasn't just handsome with nothing to show for it; he could cook, brew great coffee, he was smart, and he was... Intuitive. Matt worried on his lower lip as he watched the features of the man's face for a moment before quickly looking away, trying to gauge his initial reaction to having his question dodged. He seemed to let it slide, and didn't press matters any further.

Matt swallowed the lump in his throat, eyeing the sandwich again before reaching out to take it with slender fingers and take a bite. He was really fucking hungry, but he paced himself to eat it more slowly so he didn't just wolf it down like a heathen or something.

For the brief moment that the cafe owner closed his eyes, Matt allowed himself to look at him directly, pausing his hungered sandwich eating to appreciate the sight of the light washing over the rough angles of his face. He really was gorgeous, it wasn't fair at all, and right as he felt his cheeks warming up suddenly the guy opened his eyes and took a sip of coffee and asked him if he was looking for work.

W-

WORK?

For a moment Matt froze, eyes going a bit wider as panic hit him, seized him in its freezing grip and made his breath cut short and stop entirely because oh fuck, oh fuck what if he knew? Did he? Did he know what Matt did, had he seen?

It wasn't like sex work was a shameful job industry in Aedolis, but it for Matt it wasn't at all who he was; sex with strangers wasn't something he was comfortable with, for him it was supposed to mean at least something, not be some awful means to an awful end, a quick favor in a back alley or in a motel full of weird scents. But what if he hadn't been careful enough--what if word had gotten around, maybe he recognized Matt through rumors or worse yet, what if he'd seen?

He motioned to the back where it said 'Staff Only' and his gut clenched a little tighter, tail curling itself around the crooks of his knees.

Would... Would it be so bad if that was what he wanted, though?

The thought felt awful, evil, and he immediately hated himself for even thinking it, but... It had a point. It'd be one step closer to getting close to him, the closest he ever probably would, and even though it was just a stupid crush that thought made his heart race faster as he glanced nervously from the door to the cafe owner and back again.

"I--sure, actually." He did a good job hiding that fear from his voice as he gave the man a gentle smile and returned to eating his sandwich like no panic had happened at all. Internally, all he could think was FUCK what did I just say?! over and over again as he chided himself for being such an awful person.

"Let me know whatever you need and I'm sure we can work something out."

He tried to keep his answer vague yet positive; there was always the slim chance that he meant nothing by it and actually just wanted someone to wash the dishes or something, which Matt would be more than happy to do for him too--to a point, almost happier to do that than.. The other thing. But he'd eagerly do both. Awful, awful.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 06:02:03 pm »
Lune was pleased when the kid agreed to work for him. A hand through his pink hair and he looked to the door before peeking at the clock. A little early but beside from the kid he hadn't seen anyone in a while. It was a quiet night and the sooner he cleaned up the sooner he could go home and rest and sleep and then come back. Lune pat the counter before he flicked a crumb off before he glanced at the kid and finally moved to flip over the 'open' card on the door to 'closed'. A pin code for the door and the sound of several locks.

"Alright, well, all locked up." Lune kept his eyes on the kid before he smiled, "The code to get out is 6-2-2-4," He nodded to the pinpad by the handle, "That's different than all the other codes. That one is for leaving without setting up the alarm. There's another for entering the store and a legit old-school key." Lune found himself prattling so he gave his hand a wave dismissively and walked back to the counter. His hands went to it and he turned off various switches and grabbed a cloth, going over spots and some grime.

"I'm not sure if I got your name and if I did, I don't remember, I'm sorry." Lune said giving a dry chuckle before he dumped coffee grounds into a compost bin and went about tidying up behind the counter, waiting until the hot things cooled down before he moved onto those.

"So, what do you do for work normally?" He said, offering small talk, "I'm sure you know what I do," Lune looked over his shoulder and gave a silly smile. "I used to do all sorts of stuff at your age. Any job I could get. I think I mostly stocked shelves are grocery stores." Lune shrugged and went about wiping down the various coffee machines and the cappuccino machine.

"When you're done eating you can just take all of that into the back, the sink should still be warm but if it isn't you can just hollar at me and I'll fill it up again."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal