Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: An unexpected arrival [Open]  (Read 3089 times)

Argroww

An unexpected arrival [Open]
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:35:16 am »
In an empty patch of space there was nothing out of the ordinary, the silence was accompanied by an incredible view of the nearby star and it's natural satellites.  That is until a small needle shaped silvery starship popped into existence followed by a bright flash of light that burst outwards from it.  From its exterior there was no sound, however the hull was marred in several places from some kind of kinetic weapon and the observant would notice an unidentified gas leaking from more than one place on the vessels hull.

Inside the starship there was chaos, red lights filled the entire ship to reserve power, klaxons gave off a baleful warning to a crew who knew they were in danger already.

On the command deck the grizzled veteran Captain issued his orders.  "Esise, shut that alarm off, we know things are bad enough as it is!".

The star ships control entity complied without comment, this was unusual for the often childish creature that served as it's AI...although she was no computer.  What she was right now was scared, very scared.

Captain Struatha checked over the crew on the command deck, they were shaken,  but unharmed.  Argroww was sat in the Void Chair, still in the meditation he assumed when interfacing with the Void Drive, he'd usually awoken by now, but the Wolvian for now slumbered on.  "Okay, I need a strep and some telemetry data, where are we?"

Jinny, the young but capable woman who served as the comma officer looked pale, she'd already been trying to figure out where they were and signs were worrying.  Ever since they'd developed the Void Bouys they'd never been lost, they could always get back to a known star system fairly easily....but she couldn't find any, not a single one.  This had never happened since the Bouys were first put out.

She told the captain of this discovery, however thst turned out to not be the worst thing. The engineering officer was equally unhappy. "Captain, we have no engines, that last hit took them out, we cannot move right now and we're venting atmosphere, the emergency Void Jump ripped any microfractures into larger holes, I've already engaged the rear team on the fractures. "

Could things get any worse, he didn't need engineering to confirm that the power core was also not working correctly from the emergency lighting, Zan the ships high-mage had already left to check on other parts of the ship and make sure that any injuries were seen to....at least Strathaven could always rely on his crew.

Argroww

Re: An unexpected arrival [Open]
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:37:51 pm »
Argroww's first conscious thought was screaming, funnily enough that was not the first time he'd awoken to such noise.

Esise, stop that racket, whatever it is that has spooked you cannot be that bad?

Esise steadily quietened off as she was able to focus on Argroww's spirit, in an odd kind of way he was like a father to her, he certainly was very responsible for her creation.

I am sorry Argroww, I made sure not to broadcast my fear though

Argroww remained in his meditative state for a moment as he felt out Esise's state of mind, she was very very scared and in the brief time he'd known the entity he'd rarely felt fear from her.

What concerns you so Esise, what drives your emotions right now?

Esise remained quiet for a moment, then answered.

I am alone, I feel nothing out there Argroww, nothing at all.  There is no Void, not a single whisper, when I reach out to that place there is silence, nothingness.  I have always been able to feel the Void, no matter where we were or what we were doing, I'm always been able to feel it and hear it, touch it....taste it...with all my senses I've known it was there, but now there's just....emptiness

Argroww could not understand her senses, she was an incorporeal being...she was also the ship itself at the same time which made her senses very unique.

You have me Esise, you always have me.

Argroww felt the touch of her spirit that passed for her giving him a hug and it was something that only he and other SpiritMasters could feel, everyone else on board The Iron Claw mostly knew her as a disembodied voice that passed for a very unusual ships computer.

He drew himself out of his meditation to look upon the command deck bathed in the red glow of emergency lighting, Jinny was busy collecting and examining data, Celtira was dangling her legs over the side of the helmsman's chair, she clearly had nothing to do for now which meant the engines were dead.

"Ahh, Argroww, you're awake.  I was worried the jump may have hurt you somehow?"

"No Captain, I am quite healthy, the jump took a lot out of me though."

"Jinny has discovered 2 life supporting planets in this system and clear evidence of space technology, we've received no communications though, either they do not know we're here or the external comms array is busted, could even be both right now given the state of the ship."

Argroww considered the Captain's words, they were in a very bad place, even if the Void was present they probably couldn't jump anyway.

Gawfy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:53:47 am »
Floating along her preset flight path towards cancer again 8S Was currently reading up on mechanical guides when she would hear her Ship's Console Ping. It would seem like The proximity alarm had went off. There had to be another ship coming by. Here i went through the treble of charting a flight path that would be away from any others. She would think to herself. She put the guide down and walked over to the pilot's seat and sat down. She then would Ping the other ship. She hoped she wouldn't run into any pirates. her ship was old enough as it is and being a cargo ship with no cargo but her self any pirate would find a large space of nothing.

Argroww

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »
Jinny suddenly squeaked.

"Something up Jinny"

Struatha asked of the young woman.

"There's...a...uhh...blip on the comms channel Captain."

"A...blip?"

"Yes Captain, it's as though something tried to contact us, but the computer couldn't recognise what it was, I'll run some test Captain, see if I can clean it up."

Struatha considered the suggestion for a moment stroking his chin hairs for a moment.

"No Jinny, we're too vulnerable, if someone knows we're here and they mean us harm then we're dust, try and respond, standard message."

Jinny spun in her seat and tapped a few commands on her console then lowered the mouthpiece.

"Unidentified vessel, this is The Iron Claw, a Union Wolf-Star class scout, registration number WS-IC-PTP01.  We are heavily damaged and in urgent need of assistance, can you help? Please respond?"

Jinny repeated this message a couple of times and then waited to see if the object that blipped them responded.  Struatha looked towards Argroww.

"Diplomat, we're trying standard communication, what about your spirit powers?"

"Already tried Captain, there's nothing living out there, I can sense the life on the 2 planets, they glow brightly to my senses, I think there might be other life in space, but it's difficult to make out in the dark depths unless we're close...but if there is a star ship nearby it has no life on board."

Gawfy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:38:18 pm »
8S recived the message. She then Put on the comms head set she had lying on the console and replied. Send me your coordinates and ill be over as soon as i can be. 8S would find out she wouldn't need their corrdnates She would simply trace the point of origin. She would activate her Faster than light engine drive and warp a few Thousand meters away from the origin point. She looked out the window and didn't recognize the make or model of the ship she just warped to.  She threw on the comms again and spoke. The boarding bay is open on my vessel. you are welcome to board when ever you are ready. She said as she stood up and ran through the corridors to the Boarding bay waiting for her guests

Argroww

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:40 am »
"Captain, we've received a response, the owner of the vessel wants us to board."

At that moment the lighting went from red to a yellow, an indication that whilst the starship was still in a critical state life support was no longer of a concern.  To back that up Esise spoke over the intercom.

"Captain, the engineers have been able to seal all major leaks in the hull, it will still require time in a space dock, but the hull will contain all life support requirements for now."

Struatha nodded.

"Thank you Esise and to the engineers, get them to work on the power systems and the engines next, we're sitting ducks without being mobile and in the meantime lets take up this offer.  Jinny, advise the host vessel that we have no ability to transfer to their ship and a ship of our size is not likely to fit in their vessel is it?."

Jinny tapped at a few commands on her console and growled softly in annoyance.

"No Captain, passive scanners are working well enough, but the active scanners are still faulty, I cannot get a reading on the vessel that is communicating with us, but I shall relay the message Captain."

Jinny did just that.

Gawfy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:52 pm »
8S held her ear as he got the message.  I have already traveled to the origin of the comms. I am presently a few thousand meters to your starboard side. 8s Then walked over to Second storage bay and started putting on One of her flight units. I am leaving my from my ship's back. Please direct me to your docking bay. She said as the diagnostics finished and she lifted off the ground entering the large airlock. She would then switch it on as she entered the cold confines of space. As she got past her ship she could see the Damaged vessel. My you sure are in need of some assistance. She would say through her comms As she flew closer to the ship

Argroww

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:20 am »
"Captain, we can see the alien vessel, from it's configuration it appears to be a cargo vessel, doesn't look built for combat or exploration, just to shift lots of things around....there's something moving from the vessel...oh...err.. .whatever it is doesn't have a space suit and appears to be a human female, or humanoid at least."

One of the engineers advised from outside The Iron Claw.  As S8 approached she would see that there were about 3 people outside of the ship performing repairs in spacesuits, all 3 of them had thick tails, but any other features were obscured by the suits.  All leaks in the hull had now been sealed, but it's usually sleek look was quite marred and several scorch marks were visible across the silvery material.  If she had any ability to scan the composition of the hull itself she would find no magnetic metals and yet the spacesuited people were still walking across the hull and sometimes even jumping as though there was something holding them to the hull.

A door opened in the bottom of the ship, the presence of a ramp on the door suggested it wasn't really designed for being opened in space but within an atmosphere or at least solid ground a pale yellow light was being emitted from the opening and a small variety of surface vehicles were present inside the bay.

Standing presumably to welcome S8 was a cat-like humanoid with his arms crossed, a wolf-like humanoid, arms at his side and powerfully built and finally a humanoid who appeared to have a slight golden hue to his skin, his arms were stretched forward and his eyes were closed.

A voice spoke to S8, it sounded female and almost like a child, but with an odd tone that made the "child" seem much older.

Please come in quickly, Zan cannot hold the atmosphere in for long and our shielding isn't working quite right yet for him to not need to use magic

The voice however did not come over S8's intercom, it was almost as though it was injected into her auditory circuitry directly.  S8 might also feel a slight tingle as she passes the magical field that the one known as Zan must have been projecting.

Gawfy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 02:00:48 pm »
8S's Head shook as the message reverberated in her head.  She flew into the open door. She felt a tingle as she flew into the door. Focusing on the alien feeling and not piloting she more or less fell into the bay more than land. Getting on her feet and getting the flight unit on its legs again as the sensation subsided.  She then waved to the people waiting on her.  Sorry about that, i dont know what came over me there. I am 8S who do i have the pleasure of meeting?

Argroww

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:45:10 am »
Once 8S was in the entry ramp it started to close and when the ramp clamped shut Zan visibly relaxed and the golden hue faded from his skin.

The wolf-like one stepped forward and spoke first.

"I am Argroww, Diplomat of The Union, a government of a small pocket of space, This is Struatha, Captain of this starship and this is Zan our resident high mage."  Argroww said gesturing first to the cat-like man then the human.

"You are on board The Iron Claw, a long range scouting vessel for our government, we had need to perform an emergency Void Jump and found ourselves here.  We believe ourselves to be distinctly off-course."

Gawfy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:14 pm »
Strange, 8S could not find any makes or models of ship close to the one she was in as she searched cyberspace for any clue what the Union was. Must be a small government. She said as she walked up to Argroww. Yes i think you are off course. I have some star charts i could give you.
She said as she lowered her head and plugged in a Cartridge into the back of her neck. A few moments later she would click it out of her neck and handed it to Argroww. My name is 8S by the way. Pleased to make your acquaintance

Argroww

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:06 pm »
Argroww took the offered cartridge and studied it, it was clearly incompatible technology.  However Esise had often been able to analyse and interpret technology the ship wasn't designed to figure out on its own.  Star charts however were things that they were not used to, Void Space had proved star charts to be meaningless when the stars beyond the ice sphere turned out to be mere illusion, a trick of the Void itself.

"Come join us in our ready room 8S where we can talk more comfortably and show you what we will need help with."

Argroww gestured towards the back of the hangar bay where an open lift door waited, the lift itself was quite large suggesting it was designed to carry a lot of people, to either side of the lift were ladders for manual movement between decks as well as ladders in other places around the deck incase the central shaft was compromised.  The whole hangar bay was bathed in a yellow light although the bay itself showed no other signs of damage, even the surface vehicles dotted about and secured to the floor all seemed in perfect condition.  However 8S would be able to hear the sound of sparks from loose cabling and various clanging noises of repairs being made nearby.

They guided 8S to the lift where without a word said it started to move upwards, a numerical indicator on the wall counted down from 6 to 1 and the group exited on that floor into a wide corridor, 8S would be able to see the command deck from the corridor, it's design likely being unusual especially with the Void Chair taking central position a device 8S would not recognise at all.  They walked into a room to the right of the life exit which turned out to be a fairly typical meeting room, a large table with several chairs around it, the table had a gap in the middle, there were several monitors and various devices around the edges of the room.  Argroww placed the cartridge offered by 8S into a recess on one of the consoles around the edge and a soft glow surrounded it as Esise started to decipher the data on it.

"Esise, give us a display of The Iron Claw on the central display please?" Struatha said taking a seat at the table.

A 3D image of the ship appeared above the central gap in the table, several parts of the ship were highlighted in red, others in yellow, the bottom parts of the ship was green.  Another readout indicated that hull integrity was at 65% and the Spirit-Meld Alloy was non-functional.

Struatha then gave a brief run down on the red parts, power supply, weapon control, active scanning systems and various other parts of a ship critical to function or movement, but fortunately all life support systems were running well enough, if not at 100%.

Gawfy

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 01:53:15 pm »
8S walked with the man to the meeting room and watched him command the ship's AI to give bring them up both to speed. I would recommend you focus on getting your weapon systems online. This sector is notorious for pirates and other criminals. Seeing as how your life support is functional. 8s would say as she took a seat.  8S used her infolink extension in her eye to take a picture of Argroww and cross reference it with the data she had, and could find on the internet. Nothing showed up, no species name no home planet no... nothing.   That could mean he didnt exist, or the data on him didnt. This bothered 8S so she would just come out and say it. What are you exactly? I tried to ping your data and cross reference it but nothing showed up, Are you a TRIM project or somthing? She would ask as she crossed her legs

Argroww

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »
Argroww chuckled, it seemed they puzzled their guest as much as they were puzzled themselves.  Although the suggestion of getting their weapon systems up and running was a sound one, but they were sitting ducks right now as weapons or not they couldn't move till the propulsion system was fixed too and the main power generator.

Trouble is The Wolf-Star was a unique design even within Union space, here things may be even worse.

"No, I am not a TRIM project, I am a Wolvian and not the only one on board this ship, I am however the only one with cybernetic parts.  My people generally shun such things, preferring to lose a limb than to have it replaced.  The Lamians however are the opposite and will regularly choose to willing replace limbs.  Anyhow, your suggestion of repairing the weapons is a good one, but first I need to know if there is such a thing as Theay'Nor crystals here?"

The display in the middle of the table automatically changed from a display of the ship to the power core and a closer image of a series of crystals plus a series of chemical and magical symbols to define what they were made out of.

Gawfy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 03:35:10 pm »
8s examined it thoroughly before coming up wish a conclusion. No, I havent seen anything of this chemical make up around. 8S said as she took in her surroundings. Such strange architecture and computing systems. You are not from around here are you? It perplexed 8S that such things existed outside of her knowledge. She had or could obtain a basic level of understanding on everything around her, but this was a mystery and she was at a complete loss.  8S also tried searching Argroww's augments for factory serial codes but still not coming up with anything.
I am sorry i cant be of more assistance to you. But i simply cant find any information on anyrhing you show me.

Argroww

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 04:46:27 am »
"Intruiging" Argroww said in response to 8S, then his cybernetic eye seemed to glow slightly.

~I would appreciate it if you didn't probe too deeply into my cybernetics, I am now very certain that we are not just in another star system, but a whole other dimension...my cybernetics are built of a form of Magitech that is merged with my own spiritual powers and I cannot say how they might affect a pure android such as yourself~

8S did not hear those words as speech, but into her central processing cortex, almost like she had been remotely hacked, but without any of the intrusive actions a hack may have generated within her processing systems.

"Captain, If what 8S says is true then I suspect we will need to find an alternative for our crystals, a new power source.  We shall not find any such things here."

Struatha nodded, he had come to the same conclusion himself, sitting ducks and without any way to even restore lost power crystals, it was far from good news...however a lack of any deaths onboard was at least something.  The captain addresses 8S.

"Tell me, where is the nearest industrial stardom and what would we have to do to try and get our power systems restored, I suspect it will cost us in some way?"

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
  • Awards Awarded for participating in the Shiny New Libra event of 2014! You've been with RotE for one year! Go you!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Gender: Nongendered. '...' will serve until the English language comes up with a proper genderless pronoun.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 04:00:39 pm »
[Okay, you two have tempted fate long enough.]

Drake was rarely so happy. Not only had the accelerators on both the Warmonger and the Avarice been tuned up in a way that nearly doubled their power, they'd also managed to find upgrades for several of the Warmonger's AIs, including Ravager and Rogue Shadow, and the work had only cost half of what he'd assumed. All in all, Drake considered his return to the Andromeda galaxy a resounding success, and was looking forward to using his ships' new and improved teeth upon his return to the Aedolis-Edanith system.

No sooner had Struatha asked his question than two rings of light, each 250 meters in diameter, appeared 1km above and 500 meters to the port of the Iron Claw, 1km apart, filling in to form circles of light that issued forth two roughly building-shaped ships with bows terminating in rounded cones, the longer of the pair, 1km in length, having draconic jaws extended from the cone, while the shorter, 900-meter vessel's bow was painted to resemble a red-and-black skull. As the warp gates vanished, the point defenses and ship-to-ship cannons of both ships began aiming at the cargo ship and the Iron Claw, respectively, but neither pirate vessel had chosen to open fire just yet.

"Captain, two ships nearby. One seems to be a cargo ship about 85 meters long. The other's likely military. Nothing in the databanks on it. It's probably a scout, given its length.", the pirate manning the sensor station announced, sending the data to Drake's personal terminal.

Drake paused, looking over the data. The cargo ship was too small to be of much worth, barring a particularly valuable cargo which Drake doubted would have been transported on such a small vessel without a heavy escort, but the unknown vessel could potentially hold new technologies that could either be used or sold, depending on what they were. "Echo-Wind, get me some peanut butter on both of them. Let's not let anyone know we're back just yet. Ravager, Rogue Shadow, Executor, begin hacking the big one. Echo-Wind, support with viruses and prep firewalls and roach motels in case they try to backhack. Clear, tell Alice to hold fire and hold off on launching the Falcon for now. As for the cargo vessel, it's not worth capturing. Shred it and we'll sell the scrap.", he ordered, as he began hailing the larger (for a given definition) vessel.

[Note: 'Peanut butter' is their slang for communications jamming. 'Roach motels' is slang for traps in their systems designed to cripple and/or delete any AI's that attempt to hack into the Warmonger or the Avarice, as well as destroy non-AI-based hacking systems.]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:10:56 pm by GIR »
Please do not steal the waffle-flavor waffles or the bacon soap. Also, you gonna make buscuits?

-------------------------------------------------------

Imperial Knight Eva von Draconis
Pirate Captain Drake Morgan
Imperial Knight-Commander Heavy Wilhelm von Tartarus
Mechanic Sarah
Multi-Role AI Trotzige Schwert vonPunane Tolm [WIP]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They've got waffle in 'em!
I'm gonna sing the doom song!
Yes. Wait a minute... No.
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes...
best Tsundere ever

Gawfy

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 04:05:19 pm »
8S tilted her head as she heard the voice again.  intriguing, and how do you know im an android?  She was built after all for espionage and infiltration. But then again she did fly through empty space without any protective measures. But still there have been similar  humans who did the same.
I dont know if it would work, but i have a few tons of Energy cells on my shuttle. I buy in bulk, its a clean burn but isnt that powerful. I also have some Dark matter to power my engine. you are welcome to that if you can trade, it is very expensive and it would be foolish to give it away for nothing, 

Argroww

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »
"Simple 8S, I can interface with machines as easily as I can with people."

Before Argroww could say much more the amber lights around the room suddenly started flashing red and a siren sounded throughout the ship.  Struatha spoke up.

"Esise, what's happening?"

Active sensors have been repaired, shortly after 2 large starships have appeared in our local zone, they are heavily armed Captain sensors are indicating that at least....Point defense systems are also active and powered, but from what I can sense they'll not do us much good.

"Thank you Esise, come 8S, join us in the command room and lets see what we've got."

Struatha, Argroww and Zan all left the ready room and walked into the large command room allowing 8S to follow at her leisure.  The room had an unsual layout, the Captains chair was next to another chair that looked like it allowed the person sitting on it to interface with something, at the front was a pod like seat with another cat-like person lounging in the pod and to the left and right were a series of different control consoles all manned by people of a few different races, a young blond haired human turned in her seat as the Captain entered.

"Both of the starships are larger that ours and appear to be warships of some kind judging by the weapon scans I'm reading, if they decide to attack us then we'll not last, should I hail them?"

"Hold for the moment Jinny, lets see what their move is first, if they decided to fire upon us then we're lost anyway, so we can afford to wait." Captain Struatha responded.

Captain, they have made their move already, I'm detecting signals from one of the starships, they are trying to hack into the Iron Claws systems, I believe they intend to take me intact by shutting me down Esise chuckled girlishly It tickles...but it's a primitive attempt to hack into my systems

"Okay Esise, retaliate, see what you can find out, but try not to anger them I think we're likely to have to surrender, but I don't want to give them reason to blow us out of the stars." Struatha advised.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esise was no AI, she was an energy based life-form who esxisted within the Iron Claw and served the same function as it's AI, but she was not made of code and during her time she'd reconfigured the entire code of The Iron Claw to serve her existence...but still perform the same function.  This made th Iron Claw impossible to hack computer viruses were designed to attack computer code...and The Iron Claw had none....Esise herself however could read, interrogate, understand and even manipulate code...she could also do it without being detected due to her very nature as an energy based life form.

Deciding to play with their attackers she allowed false responses to be returned to their attackers systems so they'd believe their attempts were working whilst she dived in and dodged their own protection routines, although they were laughably simple in comparison to some of the computer systems she'd come across in her travels so far.

Checking records was difficult, whilst the computer code itself was easy to understand on a basic level the higher functions and real meaning of some data was harder due to her having no point of reference and after a while she got bored of reading code that didn't mean much to her...yet...and she decided to give up the subterfuge, the captain was right, if these people meant them harm then they'd probably be dead already.

She navigated her way to where she believed the commands of the data attacks to come from and stopped the pretend responses she'd been sending and then adjusted one of the display screen to show a rudimentary pink face...just a simple pair of eyes and a mouth.

"Hello, what are you doing?" She said to the room where Drake stood, her voice sounding very much like a young female child.  She didn't address anyone directly, not knowing who was actually in command.

Gawfy

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:56 pm »
8S followed every one up to the command room and got briefed on the situation. I have some weaponry on my vessel and a decent shield. Ill get over there and assit on the condition you take care of my body. As 8S said that her current body went limp on the  The Wolf-Star falling to the ground.
She then awoke again on her cargo shuttle. A spare android model of herself she had found in her travels, though this one had been formatted and was just an empty shell without 8S. She unplugged all of the cables attached to her spare self and wandered back to her ship controls getting herself as he got used to the slight input lag from the remote piloting. She moved her shuttle closer to the Wolf-Star as she put on her Comms headset.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal