Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: All The Stars In Between  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Draconian

Re: All The Stars Inbetween
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2017, 11:04:47 pm »
"Oh..." Cordelia said softly, looking at the monster.

Honestly, even in the deep recesses of space, she'd never seen an actual alien before and she felt every bit of herself go dry. Her mouth hung open and her mouth felt like sandpaper. Instantly he hand went to curl around Mars' elbow and she pressed her cheek to his arm.

"Mars," Her voice was soft and she looked up at him before she gave him a nudge, "Do you know how to kill that thing?" Golden eyes wide, Cordelia clearly was out of her element. Flying a ship? Sure, anytime anywhere. Fighting an alien in a ship? Absolutely not.

Offline Lion

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »
Fighting creatures that were on vessels that weren't supposed to be was something Mars had been accustomed to. He was a soldier, even if he denied it, and seeing an enemy before him triggered those primal responses. The creature clearly had killed before, maybe half the crew. Maybe the whole crew.

Details, details. Because right now it was kill or be killed. Mars felt his mind relax and yet somehow was intently focused. He leaned forward and darted from the corner toward the door way while the alien thing was distracted, and raised the pipe high, slamming it hard against it's head.

The creature squealed and reeled backwards, momentarily stunned and shifting onto it's hind legs. Mars felt the room still, his mind settling just before he pushed his aura outward and pressed the alien creature against the far wall. Mars advanced, keeping the pipe steady, trying ignore the squealing interference the creature was trying to seep into his head.

The static was loud and almost blinding and the creature scittered forward on all fours to lash out at him. Mars yelped as tentacles wrapped around his wrists and ankles, pulling him up into the air and trying to pull him apart.

Eyes shut and the strain on his body threatened to give way.  His mind reached out for the pipe, the barbed end of it wriggling a second before lunging forward and piercing the thing within it's body.  A screech and he was released.  Mars flopped to the ground and turned over, crawling to the thing, dizzied and panting hard.

He scowled and reached his hands into the wound, ignoring the burning against his skin and tore the creature in half from belly to skull.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:48:05 pm by Lion »

Offline Draconian

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 11:03:16 pm »
Nasty.

Mostly Cordelia was terrified.

A fighter, she was not.

Sure she talked a big bag, could throw her shoulders back and beat her chest with the best of them but when it came down to it, she didn't fight. Cordelia was a lover, not a fighter. A pilot, not a solider. So she was more than happy to let Mars take care of the strange alien but she wanted to help. Almost tried to help. Except when he needed it she couldn't move, frozen by fear and left trembling in her metal legs.

"Ma..." She trembled out, reaching an arm out when it was trying to rip him apart. She was weak and good for nothing and she couldn't help. "Mar..." Cordelia felt tears in her eyes, fear made her heart pound. Mars was going to die and then the monster would come after her but she didn't do anything and...

She froze, panting hard before it got impaled. Had Mars done that? Blinking her tears away she watched in awe and horror as he ripped it in half. "Mars," She panted, rushing to him, curling her arm around his waist and pressing her cheek to his chest, a few hiccups of fear and she started to usher him away from the dead beast. "Mars are you okay?" her voice was small and she took his hand to examine it, trembling still.

"I'm sorry I didn't help, I'm sorry I'm so useless," She breathed, tears still in her eyes, "I'm sorry." Taking his hand, she lowered her head over it  and cried for forgiveness, "I just woke you up and now you had to rip an alien in half, your first day back has been shit and I'm sorry."

Offline Lion

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 11:12:36 pm »
Mars didn't know what came over him. Or what made him want that thing to just die. But once it was dead, he slowly returned to reality, the loud buzzing in his head slowly fading and he shook his head of his mania.  And felt arms around him.

"Cordy?  Cord," he muttered, swallowing thickly and pushing her up a little to get a better look at her.  He couldn't understand what she was sorry for. Or why she was crying.  He blinked and cleaned the blood off his his hands on his shirt, and he pushed the tears away from her face, streaking green across her cheks.  He shook his head.

"No, no, no.  Don't say such things.  Don't ever think that you are useless.  Cordelia.  We have to get to the bridge. It's okay.  We're still alive.  And we're going to stay that way. You can still pilot.  I'll make sure of that."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:42 pm »
Cordy?

She hadn't noticed it before, but the nickname made her chest twinge and she smiled wetly at it. He had a nickname for her. Sure Cordelia was a little bit of a mouthful and she couldn't blame him for not wanting to say the whole thing but... She smiled at him and nodded.

"Right, the bridge," A long look at the carcass and she sucked in a breath and closed her eyes before she stood up and wiped the green from her face. A look at his hand and she closed her eyes for a moment. Deep breaths. Calm.

A roll of her shoulders and she wiggle of her limbs and another big breath. "Okay!" She tossed her hair from her shoulders, wiggled her fingers and hopped up and down like she was psyching herself up, "I'm good. We good?" She nodded, "We good," then she paused, "Where is the bridge?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 11:45:11 pm »
They were good, and as Mars got to his feet, they were off again heading up toward the bridge. Which it seemed was much closer than anticipated. He could feel the dregs of adrenaline fading and he walked along with care the bloodied pipe in hand, dripping small beads of neon blood lighting up where they were walking as if it were to help them trace their way back.

He scouted the hall, pushing out with his mind, scanning their surroundings until he was sure the path to the bridge was clear. The hum of the engines was secondary to the sound of their shared breathing and hearts. Everything seemed louder, more constant, yet slower and distant.

The years of being asleep had clearly taken it's toll on him, but he could only do what was natural to him.  Caiber were built for war, for survival.  Even at the expense of their enemies or allies. But he was determined not to let Cordelia feel the effects of the anguish that was radiating off of him.

He was weakening, but he had enough energy left to get them to the bridge.

The lift took them to the top, and there Rhino Rex stood with his rifle pointed at them.  He was shaking, trembling as if the fear of god had slammed into him like a fucking truck. "You!  You're one of those fucking creatures!  Turn away or I'll blow your goddamn head off!"

Mars scowled at him and didn't look to Cordelia's gun.  If she even intended on using it. He pushed out once more and his powers pulled the rifle right from his hands, firing only once and the energy ricocheting off the side of the wall and scorching his left arm.  "Fuck."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
Cordelia was a little alarmed, watching Mars work. It was obvious to her then that she had no idea what she'd woken up. Sure he was nice but... At what cost? Was she on some thin wire between him being nice and him snapping her neck? So far, he'd only sought to protect her. It confused her. What was he? He looked... Normal, for the most part. Sort of how she looked normal. But wasn't normal.

A little afraid still - not of Mars - but she followed behind him like a little duckling, breath quick, heart pounding. The only sound she was really making was the hard clang of her legs against the grate of the floor. Something she couldn't stop unless she put soft pads onto her feet which, while a fleeting idea, made her smile ever so slightly.

Then they were up and she stared wide eyed at the weird guy from before, gun in hand she slowly rose it to aim it at him. Finger hovering over the trigger. Cordelia blinked at him, a little panicked. Creatures? A look to Mars, thinking back to the strange alien. Is that what he was talking about?

A quick glance to Mars was all it took and then, the shotgun going off had Cordelia jerk and her finger fluttered over the trigger. It, luckily, didn't hit Rex. Unluckily? "I'm sorry!" She gasped out, looking panicked and pale, a cold sweat on her forehead. If she had a home to go to, she really wished she could go to it right now. Curl under some blankets and pretend the world didn't exist. "Mars," She breathed, looking at him slowly, gun still in hand, "What... What kind of creatures are you?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »
Mars had turned his attention to Cordelia for a moment, frowning. Her body language made her seem afraid, unsure.  And he was just as much, although he couldn't allow himself quiver in fear, to be locked in a cage of inaction, waiting for death to come. He looked into her eyes, locking a gaze for a moment.

He was about to answer her when a blade entered into his arm and Mars screamed. Rhino Rex had closed the distance between them, pulling out a knife and sinking it into his arm.  It was in almost to the hilt and he fell back, turning onto his side as his blood poured out of the wound.

"I know you brought those things onto my ship!" Rex hissed and reached for his discarded gun, charging a round to blow Mars' head off.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2017, 09:09:20 pm »
The few seconds of distraction were enough.

Cordelia felt her terror seep into sudden hot burning anger. The guilt sizzled in the background but... For now, it was anger and rage and Cordelia only saw red when she raised the gun. Rex was close enough to not miss and she pointed it at his head and pulled the trigger before he could. Cordelia squeezed her eyes shut the second she pulled the trigger and she was paler than normal and deathly silent after.

It took a moment, to open her eyes and realize what she'd done.

It was easy to look at Mars and blame him for this.

But it was her fault. She was the one that got lost in deep space. She was the one that woke him up from his sleep and he was the one that had saved them. Cordelia felt tears well in her eyes and she ignored Rex's dead body, the hole left from the gun still smoking, his eyes rolled back. his fingers gave a little twitch and she paused and stared at it for a moment before she finally turned to Mars.

Cordelia ripped her raggity clothing more, glad for the moment that this particular garment was made of fabric and not her usually strange form fitting suits. "I'm sorry," She breathed, pushing his hands away from his wound and pressing the cloth to it. Shifting and moving so his head would be pillowed on her thigh and while her lower legs were no doubt very uncomfortable, it wasn't like she could grow new ones.

"I didn't..." Cordelia shook her head, taking a deep breath,"Are you going to be okay? I don't know anything on this ship and..." She leaned down, pressing her lips to his forehead, though she didn't kiss him, just rested there. "I killed him," she trembled, talking against his forehead, "I've never killed anyone before."

Offline Lion

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2017, 09:22:03 pm »
The wound had not been a mortal one, but if she waited any second longer there wasn't any doubt that the blast to the head would have. Mars was dizzy with pain and his whole body throbbed as he pulled the knife out of his arm with his free hand and he tried to stave off the bleeding as much as he could.

A whimper escaped his mouth, feeling his head being pulled onto a lap and he scowled at his weakness. Not her. No, she did the right thing.  And anyone trying to convince her otherwise would also get a bullet to the head.  Glossy eyes gleamed up at her. "Cordelia, you saved me," he breathed.  "You did what you had to do. It wasn't easy, it never is. But you saved my life again.  Thank you."

His arm swept up and whatever awkward hug could be gained from his hold on her, he held onto her form and breathed hotly against her neck.

Soon his wound was bound and the rags bloodsoaked and he pushed himself up from the ground.  "Take the controls, I'll find his holotags," he muttered and rummaged through Rex's clothing. A set of dogtags were thrown aside, and a cardisk was taken to the center pilot's chair and he shoved it into the back.  "Get us the heck out of here, Cordy." 
And he strapped himself into the seat beside her.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »
Saved his life again he said.

Cordelia licked her lips and swallowed carefully, giving a little nod and snuggling into the awkward hug. It was a surprise, how much she needed it and she felt like the contact ended too soon and all she wanted was more. Time to be strong though. Cordelia squared her shoulders and chewed on her lower lip.

With Mars's wound taken care of she stood awkwardly, trying not to look at Rex's dead body but watching him go about and... Cordelia swallowed back bile when she saw the dead body. It was different to see just a dead body... It was... This one was her fault.

That was someones child.

Cordelia shuddered, eyes straight ahead she moved to the pilot's seat and looked at all the buttons. It was either dumb luck or some innate ability, maybe it had been coded into her when she was growing in a vat, either way, she took to the controls to the ship easily and once she was given the Go Ahead she set coordinates.  It was easy to find the auto pilot, there had been no proximity warnings, there had been two crafts identified on the com.

One was Mar's derelict ship and one was her GumDrop.

"Bye GumDrop," She said pursing her lips before she ducked her head down and heaving a sigh, "You know," she started, casting Mars a brief glance, "I ... Thank you," She took her hands from the controls, the not on the screen indicated they'd get to their destination in about forty-eight hours or so. Two days to clean the bodies from the ship. "I..." Cordelia shuddered, "I would have ... If you hadn't been here... This would have happened anyway and..." A shake of her head and she shuddered, not wanting to even think about how deep space slavery worked.

"Mars?" She said softly, "Can we just throw them out the airlock?"

Offline Lion

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 11:12:42 pm »
Mars' wound would heal quickly. The pain could be dealt with, and already he could feel the knife wound closing as he relaxed in the chair. Instead another ache was throbbing inside of him, and he knew why. The withdrawal of Hydra was a powerful one, and using his abilities had drained whatever energy he'd had in reserve while asleep.   It was the only possibility. 

He looked at the plug in his right arm, clenching his fist and exuding a deep breath.

She was saying something, and he glanced at her.  "I.... " He was about to speak defensively, he instead gave a gracious smile and nodded. "You're welcome. I...couldn't let you just, die...  Not after you woke me up. So, I guess we saved each other."  He smiled at her.

He looked to the bodies and nodded.  "I'll take care of it.  It probably wouldn't be a good idea for them to just rot here."  Undoing the belt on the seat he got up and left Cordelia alone for a few long minutes.  Taking each body individually down to the cargo level took some effort and time, but it was a grateful distractioin from the burning pain in his blood from the withdrawal.

After fifteen minutes, he returned to the bridge, sitting beside, Cordelia once again. "All clear.  We're about 7 corpses lighter, and one less alien.  Captain."  It felt weird to addres someone as that again, but when he said it, there was an edge of respect to it.  And he was surprised he meant it. "Yeah, sounds about right.  Captain Cordelia."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 01:11:10 am »
A slight wince.

"Please don't call me that," her voice was soft and once she read the instruments right and they were on their way. Cordelia removed herself from the chair, standing up and looking at it like it hurt her. Posture was small, shoulders forward, knees together.  "I don't..." She sighed and pressed her real palm to her face, rubbing at her eyes.

"I don't really... Want to be anything," and, boldly, she moved to sit in Mars's lap, hanging her legs off the side of the chair and curling her arm around his neck, tucking her face against his chest. "I'm sorry," She cried, "you got hurt. I shouldn't have woken you up. It's been nothing but awful. I could have been alone. They might not have even looked at your ship and..." She leaned away, giving Mars a teary eyed look before she sighed, "I don't know. Someone better could have come around. I'm sorry, Mars. This is all my fault."

Offline Lion

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 09:15:52 am »
He didn't except to be hugged again and as much as Mars was feeling more weary now than ever, he wrapped his arms delicately around Cordelia. "Why are you sorry, Cordy?" he murmured and pushed her hair aside.  He breathed in deeply, feeling the anxiety in her aura.

Mars pressed his head against hers, clasping her tightly to him.  It'd been decades since he'd felt the contact of another. And he relished it, his hands roving up her back.

"I'm just glad it was you and not them," he murmured gently in her ear. Mars coaxed her to look at him.  "We survived, they didn't.  Don't be scared. We have each other. I wouldn't abandon you. I don't leave people behind."

He pressed his forehead to hers.  "So do not have sorrow for how you'd rather have things be. Take them as they are and make your future what you will."

Offline Draconian

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:57 pm »
Before, Cordelia's future has always been...

Salvaging.

Lips drawn thin, she closed her eyes against Mars' face and took a breath. If she hadn't come here. If Cordelia had just... Kept to the outskirts instead of... Gone in. It was a risk and now she was paying for it. Or Mars was paying for it.

"Future doesn't work quite like that out here," She whispered, heaving a sigh, "You're either alone or you're in danger." She sighed and curled in close, and quickly enough, her breathing was even and she'd fallen asleep.

Offline Lion

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
"You're not alone, though. You found me didn't you?" Mars thought it was rather silly of her to think that she should have done any differently. Of course, being filled with regret and having someone get hurt that you offered to help might have done that part in for her. Mars didn't blame her however, and he wanted her to know that.

And just when he received no answer, he blinked back at her and saw that she was fast asleep. Mars had been asleep long enough, and even as the withdrawal was closing in, and his heart felt like it was beating languidly, he kept her curled up on him. His arms kept her caged to his chest, and just when he thought he couldn't take the look of deep space anymore, he too fell asleep with his chin on her head.

And when the hum of the engines slowly came back online, the noise of the jump drive ceasing, he stirred, blinking and seeing Vex before him. Mars stilled, and knew he was seeing a ghost. Vex was there, a memory that moved in the reflection of the  windows, and he turned his back to Mars, disappearing into the darkness of space.

Mars tried to stand up, momentarily forgetting that Cordelia was there. Oh right! His right hand reached up to cup her face, patting it gently. "Hey, wake up," he murmured. She was sweet looking when she slept, and kind or adorable. He leaned in and kissed her brow.

"Cordelia," he whispered. "We've reached something. Looks like a space station? Do you know this place?" The ship seemed to be automatically docking, sensors positioning itself correctly and the quiet hum of the ship was gradually replaced with the hissing of landing gear.

Offline Draconian

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »
The name woke her up.

Eyes popped open and she blinked owlishly up at Mars, heart beating rapidly for a few moments. What? A glance around and - What? "We're there already?" she whispered, mouth falling open. Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no. Cordelia scrambled off of Mars's lap, metal feet hitting the floor with a clang before she landed heavily on her knees and scrambled to the captains seat. Oh no.

"We're the only people on this ship!" She cried, hands moving over the various buttons. "If this vessel isn't registered to us we're no better than Pirates and..." Cordelia felt her breath catch. Go to lockdown. get locked up. never see the vastness of space again. Her hand moved to her chest while her imitation hand kept moving over the buttons.

"Mars," She whimpered, almost completely hooked up. They'd have access to the registry on the ship in just a few minutes. Mars. Cordelia Mars and Mars Mars? no. Uhm.  Cordelia didn't think, she just did her best to rewrite what information she could.

Mars Winter and Cordelia Winter. Married. Scavengers/Cargo transporters. Basic stuff. Simple answers. Enough to trick the computers. Let them in. Not put this on lockdown and high alert.

It was a well made ship and wouldn't need a large crew. With the running around Mars and Cordelia could do it would be fine to be ran by two people. Licking her lips she took careful little breaths and closed her eyes, shaking her head after a moment and turning to Mars. "I didn't... I thought there would be more time. My ship would have taken a week to get here but..." She smoothed her real hand over her chest, feeling her heartbeat.

Of course the other hand could feel too ... This one just felt... Right.

"okay," She glanced around, "If anyone asks, our last name is Winter. We're married. We're the only crew this thing needs. We're looking to sell the cargo and the ship and settle down somewhere nice together because we're tired of traveling." She looked around, " I didn't mean to head to this one." She glanced over her shoulder and shivered,if she could be anymore pale or washed out she would be.

"We're fucked if they find out the crew died," swallowing she closed her eyes and sighed. "It should be fine though. It'll be fine. I have a few Whatever These Guys use - currency whatever - and... We can find somewhere to spend the night. Have a meal. rest. Rest for real I mean. Get you feeling better. Fuck Mars." She sighed, "I'm so sorry."

Offline Lion

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:16 pm »
"Wait! What!?" Mars didn't do anything to stop her or even try to calm her amdist her panic. Because it all came flooding back of what they did, where they were, and who this ship had belonged to. Or belonged to before it recently came into their possession. Mars watched her reset the registry and resumed his seat beside the Captain's chair.

"Married?"  His tone was clearly skeptical, but if they had to pretend to be married, then he could deal with it. It wasn't like they hadn't just cuddled in that chair and in the prison cell on the bottom level. She was warm, except for her metal bits. And he found he really missed being warm.  So a little smile played on his lips when he buckled in and fixed his clothing.  His clothing!

"We can't get off the ship looking like this," he said.  "I'll go scrounge us up something proper to wear. You deal with the docking. I haven't piloted a ship in....well, a long time."

Mars got up from the seat and shifted around to her. "Cordy. It's  all right. We'll be all right. We're in this together."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:56:35 pm by Lion »

Offline Draconian

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:35 pm »
"Married," She confirmed.

Right. He didn't know what that was probably. Did she? Sure. She'd heard it before. "It's when two people are... Bound together by... Laws or something. I couldn't come up with two last names and we don't look like siblings." She whispered, glancing away. Ready to apologize for it. "it... Only on the station. And we don't... Have to actually do married people things." she said before she pressed her hands to her face and sighed.

In this together.

Right.

They were in this together... At least until Mars found something else and then he would leave.

Cordelia nodded at him regardless and docked the ship carefully, hands tight on the controls and hitting the right buttons and settings. Basically on auto pilot, she worked while Mars found them more appropriate clothing.

After they were docked and Cordelia calmed down, hands sweaty - or at least her real hand - and she pressed it against the flesh of her thigh. Looking down at her legs. Married. That was an awful idea. She was mostly metal. Who would want her? Deep breaths. Cordelia did deep space scavenging for a reason.

She didn't do well with crowds.

Spacestations were always crowded.

"Mars?" she breathed, moving to stand up, trembling hand moving to the intercom. "Maybe I can just stay here and... You can go and... Figure stuff out." Which wouldn't work. he'd been asleep for gods know how long, "I can't. I just... We can... Can we stay here and then head over? I haven't been on a station in years and... I don't..." Cordelia let go of the intercom and turned away from the captains seat.

Was it years?

or months?

Cordelia didn't even know.

Offline Lion

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2017, 04:39:32 pm »
He knew what marriage was of course. It was more of a human thing, a legality to confirm that two people were obligated toward one another. Marriage was a concept he was familiar with, but it certainly seemed foreign to him. Yet, he wouldn't protest it and as he stalked around toward the rear of the cabin, he found a utility closet with some spare blank jumpsuits there. He discarded his ragged clothes and jumped into a green suit, zipping it up and over his chest. The fit was a little tighter than he was used to, but it would do for now.

There were spare work boots that auto-sized to his feet and he brought the left over gear back to the main cabin, and set them down beside her before he resumed sitting beside her.

"We'll play it cool," he said with a nod. "Cordedlia. Why are you so worried? We're married, we're here to trade all the junk in the cargo hold. We're just traders. I've got your back, you've got mine."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal