Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Just another coin in the machine. [Nix!]  (Read 8957 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Just another coin in the machine. [Nix!]
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
There wasn't much to do in a sleepy frontier town like Greenhaven. Even the name was boring. With one school that covered all grades (and with so few students that classes were often combined) and a single burger-and-milkshake joint, there wasn't much for a group of teenagers to actually do. Gods help you if you caused trouble; everyone knew everyone else here and the news would get straight back to your parents before you could say "grounded".

And when your parents were military and your sister was an esteemed Mordecai, you were expected to serve as a good example.

Ari hated it.

Even though he was born out here, he felt more at home in the city, on the rare occasion that work took his family there. There was more to do, more to look at, and it wasn't just the same few dusty faces over and over again.

Here, the only real entertainment was the burger shop. It was where all the kids gathered after classes to play billiards or take advantage of the one arcade machine, some outdated fighting game that they'd duel each other on. Lose, and you had to eat the strange concoction of milkshake-and-condiments that the winner created specially for you. It was stupid, but it passed the time. You had to get creative in places like this.

"Hey! Whitehead!" one of the girls called to him with a grin, a spunky rancher's daughter. She'd taken up position at the machine and slipped a coin in, and she bounced another coin in her palm. "You on for another helpin' of humble pie?"

Ari snorted and rolled his eyes. "Tch. Ya only won last time 'cause Mel was grabbin' my ass," he said as he took up position next to her and popped the coin in. Okay, so that was a lie. He could tune out the playful groping well enough; he'd just never been good at these games to begin with and didn't have much interest in them, except when his honor was challenged.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Nix

Re: Just another coin in the machine. [Nix!]
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »
Darvish had come into Greenhaven under the guise of a traveling merchant. He had arrived in the early afternoon traded and sold some items to the various adults in town and charmed the shit out of them with one old lady even offering him a place to stay for the night. It was so sweet but he politely declined, saying he could not take advantage of her kindness like that, it just wouldn't be right.

He didn't pay any noticeable attention to the teenagers and kids in town but he did scout them briefly as he went about his day. He had been all over town and he knew word would spread about the kid merchant who was in town. By evening he had noticed that the teens started to gather at a local burger joint and he bided his time till all the pretty things he had seen were inside.

He had stopped in there at lunch time and knew the layout of the place already, he was entirely prepared for this. He was well aware that he was handsome and charming when he wanted to be but he went out of his way to look cool for this part of the plan. He had donned his brown leather bomber jacket, tussled his wavy shoulder length hair and headed in to the hangout. His eyes were immediately drawn to the teens playing on the old arcade machine, one that he was fortunate enough to know very well.

He could feel eyes on him, he was new, cool and different, so of course they looked at him. He had ten minutes now that he had entered the establishment. Ten minutes to seduce and captivate these kids. Darvish strode up behind the two playing the machine, particularly behind a pretty white haired boy he saw enter earlier. "Can I get next game?" He asked as he watched the screen.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:39:30 pm »
Ari looked away from the screen when a new voice sounded behind him, and that was all it took. The girl--Bridget--gave a whoop of triumph as she KO'd his character.

Ari let out a curse and stepped back from the machine. "Yeah, go for it. And no, Bridget, I'm not drinkin' your shit. Last time I did I spent the night pukin'." It had been some awful concoction of chocolate shake, mustard, ketchup, salsa, salt, artificial sweetener, torn-up napkin, and gods knew what else. Maybe it made him look like a pussy, but Bridget was kind of the reigning champion when it came to making the drink of nightmares.

Glancing at the new guy, he watched him curiously. He was older than the lot of them and obviously not from around here. There was something mysterious and dangerous about him too--dangerous in a safe way, though; rebellious and cool. Maybe this was the new merchant he'd heard some talk about but hadn't really paid attention to.

Bridget blinked over at the new guy, and Ari watched as she flushed at the sight of him but tried hard to keep her cool.

Ari stood back with the rest of the kids to watch. "So, you the new guy?"

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Nix

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:00:15 pm »
Awww he lost. "Sorry about that, let me defend your honor." He was really cute up close too, the white haired boy. The girl was attractive enough to fetch a good price too, there were plenty of treasures here, but Darvish already found his spoils. The captain let him pick one to play with before they went to sale, while other crew members would do similarly, Darvish had to get special permission since sometimes he went a bit too far with the toys.

He smiled at the white haired boy as he put in his coin. It was a friendly, charming smile. "Is it that easy to tell I'm new in town? Yeah I travel around selling stuff so I probably won't be staying to long either." He selected his character and turned to this 'Bridget'. "Since it seems like you guys do dares based on this game, how about if I win not only does this kid not have to 'drink your shit' ...which I'm not sure I want to know what means, but it counts as his win since I messed him up. Ok?"

He selected his character without waiting for her answer.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:59 pm »
Bridget flashed the man a mischievous grin. "Okay. And since you're 'defendin' his honor', if ya lose, you both gotta drink it," she said, and pressed the start button.

"Bridget! Go easy on the guy!" Ari laughed and stepped closer to them. "I dunno, man, ya might wanna reconsider that. It seriously ain't worth it. I'd rather take the blow to my honor than have my insides explode. This girl'll kill ya if ya don't watch it."

Offline Nix

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:34:24 pm »
Not only was Darvish not going to drink anything these kids cooked up but he was not going to lose. And it took Darvish all of fifteen seconds to prove his skills at the old game. After the quick and crushing defeat he turned to the white haired boy and let out a light-hearted chuckle. "You were saying?"

He then turned back to Bridget. "I have played this game before, had one of these where I grew up. No hard feelings right?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:01 pm »
Bridget let out a groan and relinquished the machine, and Ari flashed a grin her way. "Looks like the reignin' champ is officially dethroned."

"Suck it, Whitehead," Bridget said, then smiled charmingly up at the new guy. "Nah, you won fair and square. Good game."

Ari replaced her at the machine and slipped a coin in. "Guess that means it's us, eh?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:51:23 pm »
Darvish smiled back at the girl before turning to 'Whitehead' who had taken Bridget's spot at the game now. "'Whitehead' huh? That is an unfortunate name, is that even Edani?" He teased as he selected his character, a different one from before.

He would come up with a better name for his soon to be new toy, something sweeter like the delicious looking teen. There would be time for that later though, soon the boy would be his and all of these kids would be cargo on the Angel. Just a few minutes now. "So what happens if I beat you... I'm sorry I really don't want to call you 'Whitehead'."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »
Ari shook his head and snorted a laugh. "Nah, the name's Ari," he said. "She just calls me 'Whitehead' so much I've learned to filter it out as background noise."

He selected a character--his favorite one, some fighter with stretchy limbs--and then grinned over at him. "I dunno. Your pick. That's kinda the point of dares, ain't it? I'm just not drinkin' anything. If you lose..." He tilted his head thoughtfully. "Well, since you're new, I'll be nice. If ya lose, why don'tcha buy us some more fries."

Offline Nix

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:48 pm »
"Alright Ari. Well when I win you have to... lick the floor." He chuckled. "I am no good at creative dares." He grinned before hitting start, his green beast-like guy going after Mr. Stretchy. Just a few more minutes... and hopefully Ari could beat him quick without it being too obvious that he was throwing the game.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:11 pm »
"Ha, alright. Deal!" Ari said, and pressed start. After some of the other dares he'd taken, licking a floor didn't sound half bad.

The match lasted longer than Bridget's, and before long he'd KO'd his opponent. Ari threw a fist in the air. "There! See? Goddamn. I'm actually not terrible when I can focus!" he said, then grinned up at the merchant.

"Alright, pay up, mister...uh..." He let his arm drop and scratched the back of his head. "What's your name again?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:51 am »
Darvish put his hands up in mock surrender when Ari beat him. "I guess I should have used my best character again, I got cocky..." He smiled at the beauty. "My name is Darvish... and it seems like fries are on me huh?" He chuckled nodding to the merchant and then pulling out his wallet to pay for it all. Great now all the kids would be paying attention to him. One minute to go...

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
All the kids were paying attention to him, impressed that he'd actually pay up. Already the mysterious merchant was starting to become quite popular here--an adult that looked cool, acted cool, played by their rules, and didn't talk down to them. And that splurged on fries on a dare. More of them were starting to wonder what else they could get out of him in the name of a dare, since most of them were on a more limited allowance.

Ari grinned. "Yeah, don't worry. Next round, I'll make ya chew gum someone's stuck beneath a table or somethin', so I don't rack up your tab too much. It's cheaper," he said with a wink. He produced another coin. "Up for a rematch?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:35:17 pm »
He watched as the kids were all enamored with him and how awesome he was. After paying for the fries he made his way back to the cute white haired boy who wanted a rematch already. How sweet he thought he had won on his own! And he winked at Darvish, what a perfect play thing he would make before going to sale! If he survived the playing even.

The other's were getting and eating their fries so Darvish moved nice and close to Ari and leaned into whisper in the boy's ear. "There isn't time for that Ari..."

It was barely a second later that the other guys from the Angel bust through the front and back door, all of them with guns out and ready, one even shot the employees of the place. Darvish grabbed his pretty white haired boy and put his gun to the boy's head. "Everyone put your hands up, we are going on a little ride kids~" His voice was clear, commanding and deadly serious.

If anyone tried to run they would get shot without hesitation.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
Before Ari could comprehend Darvish's words--maybe the guy had to leave?--the doors burst open and it was like a scene out of some movie.

His mind didn't connect what he was seeing with reality at first. Ari stared, frozen to the spot, as armed gunmen swarmed into the place and started firing, flinching at the piercing sounds of gunfire and the shrieks of the other kids but unable to move for the life of him. He watched, transfixed, as a waitress dropped to the ground like a sack of bricks, the fries she'd been carrying scattering about her. Red stained the floor and Ari had the vague, irrational thought of please let that be ketchup. Some part of him knew he should be fleeing and yet he couldn't, mind one great big petrified blank, another part of him afraid that if he moved he'd attract attention and get shot but if he didn't he'd get shot and this couldn't be happening.

The other kids reacted in a myriad of ways, some freezing like deer while others dropped to the floor and curled up and others threw up their hands. No one said a word and when the gunfire faded, there was utter silence but for a few stifled sobs. Ari was still trying to process everything when he felt someone grab him, felt cold steel at his temple, and heard Darvish's voice.

Reality started to take hold.

"D-Darvish?" he got out, throat tight. "What's goin' on?"

Offline Nix

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:23:15 am »
Darvish watched as the others rounded up the kids and one even stole the shop's money, he'd have to get back what he paid for those fries later. The other kids had bags thrown over their heads so the couldn't see and their hands tied behind their backs before they were led to the door. It wasn't like Darvish and the other crew members hadn't perfected this process.

Awww and his sweet white haired beauty was so scared~ those cracked words coming out so quiet among the controlled chaos. "I'm so sorry Ari... I'm sorry about all of this... but we have to go along with them or we will all be killed. I won't let them hurt you though, I promise." He whispered softly in the boy's ear so no one else could hear, and he managed to sound genuine too.

He pulled Ari's arm behind his back and led him to the door with the other kids. When they reached the outside of the shop it was like a different world then it had been 10 minutes ago. There were bodies in the street, but at least the entire town hadn't been sacked. The kids were quickly marched to a small transport ship that had landed just outside of town and any adults that tried to help the kids were shot immediately.

It took about 7 minutes to get all the kids to the transport ship and for the ship to take off again, heading to meet up with the Arbitrary Angel up outside Edanith's atmosphere. Darvish held on to Ari the whole time, gun to the boy's head while whispering sweet words to him. "It will be ok, I promise. I'll protect you."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 08:26:19 pm »
The next few minutes passed by in a surreal blur.

He wasn't sure how he made it to the transport ship on his own two feet; his legs shook as he walked, knees wanting to buckle, and then he saw the bodies. More bodies, laying there in the street. Some were facing away from him, but some, he could see the faces. People he knew, passed by everyday, even exchanged talk with. It became hard to breathe.

And then he saw the ship.

They were leaving Edanith.

Gunshots went off but he didn't turn to look; he didn't want to see who it was, and he didn't dare move with the gun pressed to his head. It would all be over once he boarded that ship and he knew it--but it was a choice of fighting and dying here, or living longer, and he wasn't ready to die. Someone was going to save them, right? Someone was going to stop this. They'd be intercepted before they got on the ship. His parents would come. Maybe his sister. She was supposed to be coming into town today...

No one came. They boarded the ship and he was left with Darvish, who was still holding onto him, still pressing the gun to his temple, and saying all those things that didn't make sense but that he wanted to believe, because nothing made sense right now but those words offered hope.

Ari stared straight ahead, not really seeing anything, unable to stop shaking. He felt ready to vomit, stomach tied up in a painful knot and breath coming too fast. He felt the ship shudder as it took off--the first time he'd being on a ship and this was how it was--and only vaguely heard what Darvish was saying.

Offline Nix

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »
Ari was terrified and Darvish was more then thrilled by it. He turned the boy around and hugged him briefly. "Don't be scared Ari, I'm here." He whispered before they docked on the Angel.

The other pirates marched the kids to the brig, but Darvish held the gun to Ari's back and grabbed his arm again, leading the white haired boy to his room. Once the door was closed and locked he let go of Ari and put his gun away. "I'm so sorry Ari..."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »
Don't be scared. The words were so ludicrous, Ari would have laughed if he wasn't so petrified. He was scared out of his fucking mind right then and he was not ashamed to admit it; he'd seen his friend rounded up like cattle today and friendly neighbors and innocent restaurant staff killed, shot in the head like they were nothing. He was being taken gods knew where, away from everything and everyone he knew and he had no idea what was coming next or what would happen to his friends.

He didn't respond to the hug, neither to reciprocate or push Darvish away. He just accepted it and yet, foolishly, ridiculously, found something in the gesture comforting. Maybe he would help. Maybe he was a double agent. Maybe he didn't want to be here either.

The boarded another ship and he was lead along again. This time he did risk turning to look as they went, risking a final glimpse of his friends as they were herded away in the opposite direction, which made no sense; why had he been singled out?

Their march came to an end inside another room, and Ari didn't bother to take a look around and get his bearings. The instant he was released and that gun put away, some of the paralysis wore off.

He spun around to face Darvish, eyes wide and panic-stricken. "Will ya please tell me what's goin' on?" His voice was higher than he would have liked, bordering on hysterics, but fuck if he cared right then.

Offline Nix

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
Darvish nodded in response to Ari's question and moved to sit on the small bed, patting it for Ari to do the same. "...They are pirates Ari... and... I suppose I am too. When I was a teenager I was kidnapped too... but one of the pirates gave me a shot... a chance to join them, instead of being sold off or killed... and I did what I had to, I still do. I had to go into the burger joint and distract you all, or I would have been shot just like they shot the employees there... and the towns people in the street. I had to Ari."

He let out a heavy pained sigh, knowing how convincing he could be when he said these things. "I have been forced to do these things time and time again and it never gets any easier, but they let me live if I follow orders... I am sorry Ari... I am sorry about your friends."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal