Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Back to my roots.  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Back to my roots.
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:37:07 pm »
This was amazing.

Of course Malriiko had heard of the, ah, 'access points' but she had never really believed they were true. A skeptic through and through, she never made a habit of accepting things she couldn't touch and see and taste herself as truth--excepting her deities, of course, but that was entirely irrelevant. Yet here she was. It had worked, and she was made a believer.

Unless that wine she'd drank at dinner was spiked and this was just a drug-induced hallucination. There was always that.

Felt too real for that, though. The air smelled thick and earthy, the soil gave beneath her boots and the grass crunched wetly with each step. Was this...Earth? Blinking and rubbing at her eyes, Mal looked upward and saw the moon through the haze above and for a moment felt dizzy because this was the first time she'd seen it above her. Shit! She stumbled and quickly caught her balance. Gods, this was trippy and looking up made her feel kind of upside-down. She ran a hand through her short, spiky white hair and took a deep breath of non-filtered and non-artificially oxygenated air; for Earth it was clean air, but to her it just felt...gross and oily and dusty. In all her years she'd never actually been on Earth or anything remotely like it and she had thus never before experienced grass, either. It had always been metal for her, and she liked her metal, thankyouverymuch. The Libra was clean and orderly, just like she liked it. This was...different.

But the grass was intriguing and she found herself wondering what it felt like--and found herself fixating on that more than "holy hell, where the fuck am I?" like she probably should have been. Then again, it was never really her nature to panic. Mal had always just sort of quietly accepted things and taken them in stride once the initial shock was over. There was no point in carrying on.

Mal gave a quick look around the area. Didn't look like anyone else was here, though there were benches and obvious signs that people had been here recently. Good. She didn't need an audience, people looking at her funny just because she'd never seen this stuff in her life. She stooped down and poked at a blade of grass, then pursed her lips and picked it. Huh. Fragile stuff. Flicking the piece away, she pressed her palm flat to the ground and ran a hand through it. Kind of soft, too...

Within minutes, Mal went from standing to sitting, and then sitting to laying stretched out flat on her back, arms beneath her head and legs crossed at the ankles as she stared up at the sky, her coat off and tossed to the side so she could feel it on her bare arms. Yeah, this must be Earth or a bad trip. Weird. So this was real gravity, the only thing keeping her from falling up into the sky...

Either way, she was in no hurry to get back. The Libra would be fiiine for a few minutes. Wasn't gonna blow up the second she left or anything. But for now, she was quite enjoying the feel of grass on her skin--not so much enjoying her increasingly wet bottom. Apparently, the grass was wet; she wasn't going to think about why it was wet.

Eugh. Apparently living in a metal space station all her life wasn't enough to beat out the earthy drow in her and here she was, the usually OCDly tidy captain laying around in the dirt and liking it. Of all the things that could have happened, her first instinct was to lay in the grass. Go figure.

She rolled her eyes at the thought.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

Re: Back to my roots.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
Scheherazade had wanted to fly him here herself, but the last thing Roman wanted when he had a couple days of leave was to stuff himself into a flight suit and go sailing over the wasted earth.  He didn't take advantage of leave as often as he should have in the first place.  When he did, he wanted to do it his way.

That meant no dragons, no skyscrapers, no cell phone.  It meant stranding himself in the middle of nowhere with a little ice chest holding a few cold beers.  Scheherazade wheeled overhead, somewhere in the middle ranges of the stratosphere, keeping well away from this place.  It worked all kinds of havoc on digital systems.

Nothing here could hurt him, so he weaved through a strand of trees and just let his thoughts wander.  His plan was to find a place to sit down—maybe one of the little stone benches you found around here sometimes—and think about anything else but work for awhile. Gabriel would have been proud of him, he thought.  He was relaxing for once.

But he wasn't alone.  Coming out of the shade of the trees, he stopped short.  That wasn't just anyone laying in the grass over there.  He'd never met the woman himself, but had seen enough photos and video of Malriiko Arabar to recognize her.

He'd made enough noise crunching over the fallen leaves and brushing through the low-hanging branches that she must have heard him coming.  But would she know him?  He was in plain clothes, but his own image was out there in the digital ether, available for anyone to see.

He leaned against a tree and raised a hand.  "Hey."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
Leaves crunched and twigs snapped and Mal bolted upright with a muffled curse and turned just in time to see that her visitor was human. Of course. Oh no, it couldn't just be some...mutated squirrel that came to check her out, it had to be sentient. How embarrassing.

With a scowl, Mal picked leaves out of her spiky hair and dusted off her clothes--plain clothes as well, though she was no less recognizable out of uniform. Then she cleared her throat and tried her best to look professional while sitting in grass and leaves. "Hello," she said slowly, narrowing her eyes as she studied him. Why did he look so familiar? She felt like she should know him. Had he followed her? Huh. Creepy thought, that. And what was with the ice chest? Hm, either picnic food or organs, she supposed. "Can I help you?"

Then it hit her. Why he looked familiar.

She'd seen his face all over the media.

A Pilot. Roman Rosales. One of the big names. She couldn't remember what he did, just that he was high up on the hierarchical ladder.

She had her hand on her gun before she had time to think, but it was lucky her thoughts caught up to her because that was as far as she got before she stopped. Pulling a gun on a Pilot, Mal? In a one on one interaction where he can already see you and it? Really? Yeah, that was stupid. With a grimace, she released it and leaned back on her hands, tilting her head to peer up at him.

"Roman Rosales, was it?" she said, smiling. "Well, I must admit you're about the last person I expected to see here apart from the Imperial himself, but with the way this day is turning out so far, I'm prepared to eat my words. So what brings you all the way out here to the sticks? A little far from home, isn't it?"

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:42 pm »
"Not quite as far as you," he said in a quiet voice, and if she chose to hear menace in it then let her.  He had no game here.  It took too much effort to turn himself off, to get his mind into a place that wasn't wholly rooted in the ATC, in the Citadel.  He wasn't about to unwind all the layers of denial and excuses he'd had to tell himself to get to this point, the point at which he could walk away from whatever fresh stack of papers had found its way on his desk and tell himself, with only the barest grip of tension in his stomach, "I'll do those tomorrow."

"And you're stealing all my lines."  It would be rude to leave now, wouldn't it?  Here they were.  No walking away from this one.  He hung out by the tree a few moments more, since she seemed so trigger jumpy.  "I'm the last person you expected to see?  Imagine my surprise, huh?"

Curious, and now somewhat less likely to get a gun pointed at him, he left the trees to join her in the grass and the wan sunlight.  "I'm taking some time off.  I guess you're doing the same."

A person could do little else out here.  The Meeting Place wasn't good for much except losing yourself in.  He set the ice chest down. but remained standing.  He was trying to decide if he should stick around or leave her be.  He understood how it could be.  Who wanted someone else around when you had gone to such lengths to get yourself alone?  "I wasn't sure if you'd recognize me."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »
Mal gave an amused snort and a quick roll of her eyes. "Oh, please. Me stealing your lines? You're the psychic here."

But there was humor in her voice and she had relaxed now that she was convinced that he wasn't an immediate threat. She remained where she was as he approached, glancing curiously at the ice chest. It was a little difficult to find someone, even a Pilot, intimidating when they were carrying around a little cooler, and besides...

"You're much shorter in person," she mused out loud, tilting her head as she looked up at him. She draped one arm over her knee and pursed her lips. "Maybe that's it. It took me a second or two to recognize you, but your image is all over the news. Alright, maybe not all over, but enough. You always looked taller." She squinted at him a little, then shrugged.

"So, what did we bring with us today?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
It was a hoot, her commenting on him being short.  What was she, like five feet tall?  Less?

"It's because I'm always photographed with Tierney," he said.  "I look taller next to him."

She should know Gabriel as well, if she monitored the Aedolis new feeds at all.  Gabriel was featured in the pop culture and social feeds more than he was. Roman would have been a relevant part of Libra intel given his role in the war and his particular talents.

"Ah.  Beer."  She hadn't told him to get lost so took a seat in the grass and opened up the ice chest.  He'd planned to drink them all himself but given her life up there on the space station she should probably have a couple.  Couldn't be much opportunity to get some genuinely good beer out in the void, even for a captain.

"The best on Earth," he added, holding out a cold, dripping bottle to her.  "I wouldn't drink anything less."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:53:19 pm »
"Ohh, is that why?" Mal asked, then tilted her head. The name did sound familiar. She liked to keep up-to-date with pop culture, but she didn't delve too deeply into it. Didn't have the time, but she liked to at least keep well informed.

"Tierney. The blond that's always hanging around on you?" She gave a light laugh. "I almost expected to see you two featured in some couples segment until he snagged that girl." Let him take that however he liked.

Taking the offered beer, she wrapped it in her shirt and popped off the top, then sighed happily as the wonderful, fresh smell of beer wafted up.

...Well, alright, so beer actually smelled like piss, but that was not the point. She got pretty sick of drinking the stuff up on the Libra that was hardly any better than sour water, and Aedolian products were top notch.

She held her beer out to him so they could clink bottles. "Well, cheers, mate."

Offline Tally

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
"Yep, that's the one.  Not by my choice.  He's the one that drags me out in front of the cameras.  I could give a shit about all that media presence crap."

Wait, what girl?

He'd have to ask Gabriel about that later.  Why hadn't he mentioned it if he were seeing someone?

"Cheers, Captain."  He clinked his bottle to hers then took a good manly swig of it.  This wasn't the cheap piss-colored beer you found on supermarket shelves.  It was dark, and made of barley instead of hops so the unbearable bitterness present in other beers was absent from this one.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »
Not to be outdone, Mal took a rather manly swig of her own and set the bottle down with a sigh of satisfaction. That was the stuff. Cool, refreshing, ridiculously smooth. Setting the bottle down in the grass, she couldn't help but eye Roman's ice chest. He probably brought far more than he could drink alone anyway, so maybe she could 'relieve' him of a couple more. Bring them home, hoard them in her quarters and share them with no one.

"Oh, come on, you can cut the humble act. You can't tell me you don't enjoy the attention; I would." She took another gulp of beer and grinned. "You people soak that stuff up, don't you?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:38 am »
"The hell I do."  Weird as it was, this was still an oddly comfortable conversation.  Maybe one day they'd meet in some official capacity.  Wouldn't that be interesting.  He hadn't decided yet if he would mention this encounter to anyone.  He should, certainly, but he also didn't see the point in it.  Any intel he could have gleaned from reading her mind, she would anticipate and make irrelevant as soon as she returned, so why not just enjoy the peace?

"Think about it," he added.  He pictured all those times when he'd been ambushed by a wall of flashing cameras and never ending questions about every aspect of his life.  "Would you really want so many people up your ass constantly?  Every time you left home?  Seeing your own picture in the tabloids with rumors not even grounded in this reality?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
"I don't know," Mal said, looking skyward in thought. "I might just a kick out of the things people come up with. I'm sure it would be far more entertaining than the life I actually lead, full of sex, drugs, and rock and roll and death-defying adventure. I wonder what sorts of lovers they'd give me." She grinned. "Kind of interesting to see how the public views you, eh? Like some sort of fanfiction."

Eying Roman curiously, she leaned back on her hands. "So, is it true that you have your own harem?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:48:54 pm »
"I don't really notice it anymore.  It's all background noise now."  The cameras, the journalists yelling questions at him, the reaching hands of fans—he hardly paid it any mind these days.  When he was fresh out of candidacy it annoyed the hell out of him but now it was just scenery.

"Oh right, the official harem distributed to all Pilots upon graduation.  Yes, I have that.  Why, you looking for a new job?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 04:01:59 pm »
Mal arched an eyebrow at Roman, then chuckled. "You must have read my mind. I was looking for something part time, bring in a little extra income. Asexuality isn't an issue, is it?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
He cracked a smile at the mind-reading jab, and it was just a little bit wicked.  He couldn't help it.  All these years, and he still enjoyed a sense of smug superiority over anyone who wasn't a psychic.  Having ready access to people's thoughts, secrets, and dreams gave you an unmatched swagger.

"Not for me, it wouldn't be.  But I think we've hit on a marketable idea here.  A kind of cultural exchange program."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:00 pm »
"A cultural exchange program. That is fascinating," Mal agreed, nodding. "There's just that little 'Hotel Haviah' issue..."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal