Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Time stays, we go. [Tally~]  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Time stays, we go. [Tally~]
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »
"I don't know what you're talking about," Gabriel answered as he headed into the kitchen.

He gave Roman a moment to himself, a moment to calm down and get settled on the couch, and spent the time rummaging around Roman's kitchen and pouring him a glass of iced tea. He'd picked it up the day before, even bought a lemon, and he stuck a slice of it on the rim. Then he took a deep breath to brace himself. No taking the bait. No baiting him. Don't take it personally. Roman was pissed at the world right now and all he could do was just...see him through it, no matter how he lashed out.

Or, y'know, he could explode his heart.

That taken care of, he returned, just in time to catch what Roman said, and that brought him to a stop.

"Really?" Gabriel repressed a wince. The cold shoulder hurt enough as it was, but from something you were bonded to? A creature that basically shared your mind, that constant presence you knew was always there...he couldn't really imagine. Siren was always there and he'd shared more with him than he had with most people; he knew him.

Losing him would be like losing a piece of himself.

"Well...she's probably just upset," he finally said, coming around to take a seat next to Roman and offering him the iced tea. "Maybe not even at you. That was a bad situation. I mean...what do dragons even feel when something like that happens to us?" He had a feeling that wasn't what the problem was, but he didn't want to upset Roman.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
"Of course she's upset!!"

Roman stopped himself and took a deep breath.  Rubbed his temples with his fingers.  Every little thing was setting him off.  Everything Gabriel said and did.  Even a simple glass of iced tea.  It all just made him angrier.  He couldn't disconnect himself from the raging thought patterns repeating themselves in his head.  Part of him didn't want to.  Part of him just wanted to be pissed.

"I just...I can't believe..."  He put his head in his hands.  "I can't believe I let him shoot me in the back."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »
Gabriel winced, and his eyes flicked toward Roman's arm--the arm that was wearing the blood pressure monitor--as though expecting it to start beeping. Erk, well, that had gone over smoothly. Clearing his throat, he set the glass on the coffee table and looked back up at Roman.

"Bullshit. You didn't let him do anything," he said. "No one lets someone shoot them. That's stupid. The guy's a raging fucking psychopath and hell's too good for him." He frowned. "No one saw it coming."

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »
Roman gave Gabriel a look.  They both knew that wasn't true.  They knew it so completely he didn't even feel the need to say it.  He'd failed, no more or less than that.  He'd failed before and would fail again.  In the coming weeks he'd be able to distance himself from it, but right now...right now it was even more raw than the bullet holes in his back.

Among everything else he had to deal with, something he'd meant to do had totally slipped his mind.  He pulled himself up off the couch—sighing—and tossed the cigarette pack into the trash.  They'd remained forgotten in his jeans pocket until now.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »
That...was probably the last thing Gabriel expected.

Roman. Tossing away his cigarettes. Willingly. The very same cigarettes they'd argued over a week ago, that he'd tossed away only for him to hobble his way over to retrieve them, the bane of many a fight. The things he'd been complaining about for ages, given him countless lectures on, and hated with a fiery passion. And he just...just like that, throws them away.

Gabriel stared at the trash can. Then he stared up at Roman. He squinted.

"Who are you again?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »
That was better.  He grinned, relieved to have Gabriel teasing him again.  It felt like home, and he hadn't felt that since he'd woken up.

In looking up, he met Gabriel's eyes and looked away quickly.  He threw his hands up.

"Now what do I do?" he said for a second time.  Every time he stopped to think he was overwhelmed by the weight of time upon him.  He didn't know what to do with himself, and he had always known that.  From the moment his psionics had manifested, he'd known exactly who he was and where he was going.  It was paralyzing, this feeling of being lost.  He was afraid to do anything lest it be the wrong thing.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »
Gabriel cracked a grin, unable to keep up the serious expression. Okay! So that was a good sign! Hopefully he could get a little more of that, keep his mind off of the darker thoughts.

Rising to his feet, he draped an arm lightly around Roman's shoulders. "Well, first, is there anything you've ever wanted to do? Wanted to go? I mean, there's a whole world outside your office. Second, gimme one sec. I gotta process this whole new smoke-free you thing," he said, then leaned in to sniff at Roman's hair. "Holy crap. You don't stink!"

Offline Tally

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:37 pm »
Roman let his mind wander and it came back with...nothing.  He had no answers to Gabriel's questions.  He'd never thought about them before.  He shook his head, coming up blank.  He had never stopped working long enough to want anything outside of work.

"What—stop sniffing me!  I didn't stink!  You always exaggerated how much I smoked."  He'd miss it.  Hell, he wanted a cigarette right now.  But that desire was nothing next to that image he had of Aydan, cigarette in hand.  That image would keep him away from the things for the rest of his life.  No mundane craving could overcome the timeless, immense loathing he held for that man.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »
"And you never noticed the smell 'cause you're used to it," Gabriel answered, patting Roman lightly on the cheek before releasing him. "I bet you'll notice once it gets all outta your system. That's what happened to my mom when she quit."

Looking at Roman thoughtfully, he tilted his head. Right now, Roman was obviously limited in what he could do; it was only a week since he'd come to and he was far from healed. So nothing too physical, nothing that would require a lot of walking until he built himself back up to that, nothing that would be jarring or straining. What he needed most of all was rest and time to heal and it would be Roman's nature to push himself when he shouldn't.

"Hmm...have you done much gaming?" Alright, he knew the answer to that one already but he figured he'd give it a shot. "I could bring over my system. You might like first person shooters! Or we could go catch a bite to eat if you feel up to it. I know a place that has a live band every night, it's pretty cool! Pretty close by, too. Or we could just get stuff delivered."

Offline Tally

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »
"Don't say that.  That if you feel up to it crap.  Shit, I already feel like an invalid."  Could barely walk anywhere without having to stop and catch his breath.  Had to watch how he bended and moved or the wounds would break open.  On top of that, the meds had him alternating between exhaustion and jittery wakefulness.

Gabriel got a withering look as answer to that first question.  The rest, he had to think over, standing there with a hand on his hip.  "I guess," he sighed, "let's do the game."

It would keep his mind and his hands busy—he hoped.  Failing that, it would give him something to complain about.  "But not here.  Let's go to your place.  I'll be seeing enough of this apartment for the next month."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:41 pm »
Ack. He shot Roman an apologetic look and gave himself a mental kick for slipping. Okay. Axing that from his vocab now, though he wasn't really sure how to ask. How to ask what would be too much or if he didn't feel well, though...maybe he should just trust him to tell him? Yeeeah. And Siren wore a tutu. "Alright, lemme fix that: if you want to. If you want to, we can."

Looked like Roman was going to be full of surprises this day, too. Throwing away his cigarettes and then agreeing to video games? Gabriel blinked at him, expression blank for a second, and then his face broke into a grin.

"Really? Sweet! I got a bunch you might like! Hah, I even bought one, just for the lawls, that's supposed to be a Pilot combat sim or something like that, right? It's fantastic," he said with a laugh, then prodded Roman's arm and headed for the door.

"You've never eye-rolled so hard. It's even got dragons. But right! Okay! Let's roll, cupcake."

Offline Tally

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 11:09:28 pm »
"Better.  A little."  They both still knew what it meant but this way they could both pretend Gabriel wasn't thinking of his physical condition.

Which, he realized abruptly, he didn't mind.  He would have thought he did but...it was all right.  He didn't want to hear it but he didn't mind it, Gabriel worrying about him.

"Hey hey hey."  Ugh.  He knew what that grin meant.  Gabriel was getting all excited thinking he'd suck him into his gaming world.  "This is only because I've got fuck all else to do.  That's it."

He followed Gabriel to the door.  "After you, Princess."

It felt like before, like it had always been.  Calling each other names like that.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
"Right, right, of course," Gabriel said, holding up his hands in a pacifying gesture. "That's all. That's the only reason. Roger." But he was still grinning and dammit, he was going to be excited about this and there was nothing Roman could do about it. Maybe Roman would like it, maybe not. But either way it was time spent together and...and he liked that. There wasn't enough of that.

He didn't like the circumstances and didn't like seeing Roman like this, frustrated and upset and in pain, but he was trying. Hopefully he could at least make this easier for him and not the worst month of his life, ease the burden a little, keep him in better spirits. Maybe he just needed to be kept distracted and, well...when he wanted to talk, if he wanted to talk, he hoped he could be there for Roman just as Roman had been there for him through so much of his life.

Sticking his tongue out at Roman, he headed out the door. "Oh, how very gentlemanly of you. Now hurry up, babydoll," he said, and started down the hall for the elevator, jabbing the button. Ah, elevator. The memories.

Offline Tally

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 09:19:30 pm »
"Don't rush me, cupcake, I'm injured."

He was beginning to think of all kinds of ways to use his sorry physical state to mess with Gabriel.  So that was one good thing amidst all the crap.

Out in the hall, Roman stuffed his hands in his pockets and followed Gabriel, silent and tense.  Hidden away in his own apartment he could try to forget about everything, or at least push it off to a corner of his mind.  Here, he had to deal with people looking at him, thinking about him.  He caught whispers of their thoughts until he cut himself off, pulled in close so he couldn't hear anything but the voice in his own head.

Once in the elevator, he realized he'd been holding a breath and let it out.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »
As the elevator took them down to his floor, Gabriel shot Roman a look. He really wanted to ask how he was--but not only was the question stupid, but he knew Roman would hate it. They'd just had that talk, after all, but dammit if he couldn't be worried. A lot of shit had gone down and it hadn't all happened in the lead rooms.

But if he was anything like him, the last thing he probably wanted was to dwell on it when it was still fresh.

The elevator stopped, doors sliding open, and Gabriel reached out and ruffled Roman's hair as he passed him by. "C'mon, apple blossom, and don't give me that 'I'm injured' crap, either. First it's 'bitch, bitch, bitch I can do it myself, rawr', and now you're wounded. Nuh-uh."

But he stuck close by anyway. His apartment was just down the hall, but he wasn't going to take off without him.

Offline Tally

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
After several weeks in the hospital his hair was even shaggier than usual.  It was downright long.  He didn't try to avoid Gabriel like he might have done before, just shook his head, a wry smile on his face.  On the surface, it was all the same as it always had been.  Beneath the veneer, he didn't know what they thought they were doing.

He broke out suddenly into a grin.  "There she is."

Blank leaped out of the automatic cat door that lead into Gabriel's apartment.  She ran down the hall to Roman, mewing.  He leaned down so she could jump up on his shoulders.

It was good to see her.  His memories of those first few days after he woke up were hazy, but he remembered one of the first things he'd said had been to ask who was taking care of his cat.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 02:41:46 pm »
As Blank came running, Gabriel grinned and watched the reunion in silence for a few moments before he opened up his apartment. Too cute, how much Roman loved that cat. He only bit his tongue so as not to ruin the moment.

"Toldja she's missed you," he said with a laugh. "Oh, uh, hope you don't mind, I kinda ruined her. Fed her lotsa Meaty Meals instead of that gross kibble crap."

The inside of Gabriel's apartment hadn't changed much except for the addition of a litter box in the bathroom, cat dishes in the kitchen, and several catnip mouses and feather toys scattered on the living room floor. "I made her work it off, though."

Offline Tally

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:08 pm »
Blank started purring and rubbing her head against his face.  She didn't know or care where he'd been or how he might have changed or any of that shit.  She was just glad to have him, and he was glad to have her.

"Did you actually scoop kitty litter?  I would have paid to see that."

His hands were shaking, his legs wavery.  Too much walking in too short a time.  He sank down onto Gabriel's couch and repressed a sigh.  It was such a relief just to sit.  He hated this body around him.  It didn't feel like his own.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 07:55:14 pm »
Gabriel made a face and plopped down onto the couch next to Roman, repressing a shudder--which probably answered his question well enough. Oh yeah. There had been much scooping. He hadn't realized cats crapped that much! Or how freakin' intense it smelled, prompting him to get the scented kind after day one.

He shot Roman a dry look. "Yeeep. And the one day I didn't, she pooped in my sink."

Offline Tally

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »
"That's my girl."  He couldn't wait for this day to be over, when his mind could find refuge in the thoughtless automation of a normal end-of-day routine.  Mostly normal.  He'd be able to feed Blank, cook something, clean up afterward.  This was too difficult, this pretending that everything was okay and the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal