Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Cool like Ice (Oddalicious)  (Read 504 times)

Anonymous

Cool like Ice (Oddalicious)
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »
Ah. It had been a little while sense his last candidate. And now he had managed to pick up too. Here was hoping he could make the time for them with his other duties. But Bartolomeu liked working with the kids. So many mentors were sadistic, treating the candidates like they were their punch bags or sex toys.

Bartolomeu did his best to teach them to be strong without breaking them. There were already too many shattered and broken Pilots. Like poor Wulf or Trance. They were only just able to be of use to Aedolis. And it had not ended well for Wulf. Everyone came out a little darker, a little harder then when they had arrived. That was necessary to survive as a Pilot. To do what needed to be done. But no need to destroy who they were.

He liked to think that his candidates turned out rather well. The few of them he had trained did well. He only lost one to TRIM and while he regretted that, he had come to terms with it. Enough with those thoughts. Far too serious for now. Glancing down at the form on the candidate, Bartolomeu read over it again. Haven Polaris. Orphan. He frowned a little, hoping the kid wasn't going to end up like Trance. One of them was more then enough.

Hmm. A painter. That could be interesting. And a potential empath. That could be very interesting. He would have to learn more about them. He had never trained one before. He entered the class room he had told Haven to meet him at. He was a bit early, so he leaned up againt the desk, reviewing the file a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Cool like Ice (Oddalicious)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:12 pm »
    Some might find it amazing that the stage 2 candidate hadn't been sent off to TRIM yet. His insomnia which not many knew of, made people think he was just a lazy bum but that was far from the truth. Half the time he may seem disinterested, but the kid was clever as hell and that incredible intelligence is what's keeping him from being sent off to TRIM so far. If only he could get more sleep so his body wouldn't feel so weak. Such is the life of an insomniac though.

Haven hadn't had a mentor during his first stage, not really. Truth be told he kind of got passed around, but it seemed that today he would meet a possibly more permanent one. He had spent the night wide awake painting again. This time it was of a strange dark landscape he had never seen before but never the less saw clearly in his mind. His imagination was wild with abstract realism, as he called it. They seemed like dreams, even though he didn't dream much since he hardly slept. During the naps he managed to catch during the day he had only snippets of dreams that were usually blurred or never remembered, or at least he thought. His mind was a strange place and that was certainly saying something. It wasn't as if he was some crazy mental person but he did feel excluded, different from many of the others some how. Or maybe it was just him being socially awkward, not necessarily shy but being around so many people meant too many thoughts and too many emotions. Alone, meant peace.

Though his mentor-to-be may have seemed early, Haven was actually already in the room but just not in sight. Since he didn't sleep typically, Haven had plenty of time to get where he needed to. So after breakfast he just went straight to the classroom he was told to go to meet and greet his new mentor. Once there, it was obvious what he should do to pass the time. Nap. He was known for taking naps in odd places and weird positions. Today was no different. There were these sort of big cabinets along one wall and Haven, dressed in the uniform pants and a black hooded jumper, slipped his scrawny form into one of them. The room was too bright and he liked complete darkness, especially if he wanted to sleep or rather snooze a bit if possible.

Haven shut the door, curled up and shut his forest green eyes. His nap was short lived as per usual but it wasn't an outside cause that disturbed him from it. Naps were usually light anyway so it was easy to wake him when he actually managed to sleep. However this time, as he rested his head against a corner of the cabinet, his body started to drift away and towards the door. He subconsciously scratched his cheek and drifted more and then...

SMACK!

His head hit the door and it flew open he fell right out with a soft thud. It obviously woke him, how could it not? Startled he sat up, rubbed his head with one hand and a baggy eye with the other. He blinked tired eyes a few times focusing on another individual in the room leaning against a desk. He squinted at him, "Pilot Royal Bartolomeu Hamilton?" Half way through that it turned into a yawn. His eyes watered just a little and he rubbed them again. Finally he stood up with the help of the cabinets and then stretched cracking his back. He slouched a little when he stopped and stared over at the man. The front of his jumper had a pouch like pocket and he stuffed his slender hands in that had paint under the nails that didn't wash away in the shower. He yawned yet again.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:11:03 pm »
It wasn't always the best idea to startle Pilots. Even the friendliest, nicest or most relaxed Pilot was still a Pilot. They were a paranoid lot by nature and Bartolomeu was no exception. Jumping slightly he was on his feet and in a defensive crouch as he looked in the direction of the bang.

He relaxed a little when he realized it was just a candidate. One not in the proper uniform. Tisk tisk. Running a hand through his messy hair, he sighed. He scanned the boys mind, discovering that he was in fact Haven. His new candidate.

"Candidate Polaris. Is there a reason you aren't in proper uniform?" He knew that some of the mentors let the candidates were altered uniforms, but he wasn't one of them. Despite the fact that his own clothes were rather rumpled and Bartolomeu looked far from neat and sharp, he still expected it from the candidates. They got to earn the privilege of wearing street clothes.

And the kid looked, well, to be blunt, awful. His clothes were rumpled, he had been sleeping in a corner and just generally looked about to fall over. If he didn't have his Pilot face on, Bart might have felt sorry for the kid. But this wasn't the time for that. The kid needed to get in shape or he wouldn't be able to pass the physicals. And to see him TRIMed out over something that simple just wasn't right, "I am Bartolomeu Hamilton. Your new mentor."

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »
    Haven wondered if it was lucky that his mentor was a Royal. Yet at the same time he had the ominous feeling that he wasn't getting off easy at all. It was probably for the best really and it wasn't as if he was completely disobedient. It was more like Haven was just a little off, if you know what I mean. Some people did think him a little strange, personality wise and what-not. He wondered what his mentor would think, probably the same as everyone else.

He did tend to shy away but it was easier that way because sometimes he couldn't always control his powers especially the empathy. He didn't even need to touch someone, they just had to be within a certain amount of distance. Probably why he didn't really like crowds, though they were hard to escape in a city like this. Too much noise both in his ears and in his head. Where would he be if he wasn't an orphan and didn't have psychic gifts? He didn't know but it's something he has thought about.

The guy before him though looked...scruffy? Normally that gave the impression of a relaxed attitude. He might have been mistaken in that assumption though. Haven blinked when his mentor addressed and commented on his sloppy assembled ensemble. He glanced down and stared at the hoodie he wore rather than the uniform jacket. Haven finally shrugged, yawned, and said, "I'm cold." It was simple as, plus this jumper was much more comfortable than the uniform coat. He wandered closer to his mentor and focused tired bright forest green eyes on Pilot Hamilton.

Haven stared at him for a long while after he introduced himself. He didn't say anything, mostly assessing his mentor's emotions or attempting too. On the outside he just looked like a sleepy boy just staring blankly. The conclusion of his assessment? He felt pity and possibly disappointment. He might have frowned at that except he didn't like to reveal his own emotions if he could help it especially with people he hardly knew and even especially even more if it left him vulnerable or if they were negative. Finally, he scratched his head a little and smiled faintly as he tilted his head, "Can I call you Barty?" That was a cute name and Bartolomeu was terribly long and snooty.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
When he wasn't working, Bartolomeu was generally pretty relaxed. Few things really made him angry or ruffled. He yawned, rubbing his eyes. He hadn't slept in almost 30 hours. There was always more work to be done. He could never understand how so many other Royal's seemed to have as much free time as they did. Bart didn't think he was that slow in his work.

You positively crawl along. The voice in his mind was amused.

Oh shove it you. I don't and you know it. Man...this one's going to take some work. All skin and bones.

Have fun.

Bart resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Instead he frowned slightly, "You don't have permission to be out of uniform. I expect you to stick to the dress code. It is there for a reason." Not that Bart was one to talk. He always looked slightly rumpled. But he also wasn't a candidate.

When the kid moved closer, Bart just started back, relaxed, blocking most of his thoughts and feelings from the kid, just letting him feel a little. He seemed a bit odd. And far too scrawny. He was going to have to work on bulking this kid up. "You can call me Bart. I can't say I much like Barty." Bartolomeu had a slow, smooth voice with a hint of a drawl.

"Tell me about your self Haven. I want to hear where you think your strengths and weaknesses are."

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:16 pm »
Haven hasn't slept properly in years. The reason could be a number of things but it was never fully clear why he could never sleep soundly at night. He'd take short naps but that was all. Oh what he would give to sleep for hours on end, a nice solid eight or so would be wondrous. He wondered if this continued to happen, would he waste away? Maybe his lack of sleep made him crazy. Then again even before his insomnia he was a strange boy. Actually it wasn't that he was completely out of it but he did like to leave people guessing, perhaps a defense mechanism.

Haven glanced down at his hooded jumper again and then back at his mentor. This was the first time he's really had a problem with this. He at least tried to incorporate some of the uniform. He loved when they had those days off, so he could really dress casual and comfortable. Haven glanced Bart up and down a moment then said, "Oh, what is the reason?" Pretty simple question he thought.

Haven figured his mentor was blocking considering what very little reading of feelings he could get. He himself was always blocking his thoughts, one of the first things he learned. Where he was from, the orphanage, he heard so many things at once and feelings, most of them negative. It was painful sometimes. He didn't like having people, at the least, know what he was thinking. He even sometimes limited his own thoughts. Really strong thoughts he tried to keep buried in his mind. Telepathy though was more easy than his empathy though, so most of his training these days was focused on that than the other.

"I like Barty. I think it suits you," Haven smiled, soft and lazy. His voice was sort of plain and simple, but almost as if it were an enigma itself. It could be female or male, and lazy like the rest of him seems to be.

Haven blinked at what his mentor requested. He moved back and hopped onto a desk, crossing his legs lotus style and contemplated. How much should he say? He could just say what they have been telling him.

"My mind is strong, but my body weak," he almost sounded philosophical when he said it. He looked down at his short nails, "I like to paint. I can't sleep, so that's what I do when I'm not training in the day." That seemed sufficient. He seemed to have his file so he should know most specifics.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 12:16:46 am »
Bart wasn't quite sure how Haven had managed to reach Stage 2 and not know that you were required to wear the proper uniform. Only those instructed by their Pilots were allowed to break that rule. And Bart had not given his permission, "It's a rule. A rule you should already be well aware of. Now take the hoodie off."

He wouldn't punish him for it yet. Probably should, but Bart had the feeling there were going to be time for that later. He hoped this wasn't a rebellious one. Those were the worst. Such a fine line between molding and breaking them.

"I like Barty. I think it suits you,"

Well, looks he was going to be a hard one. No sense of respect of discipline. Bart didn't have a problem with odd people, but it was important that candidates learned their place. That they were but a cog in the machine. Bart rubbed the bridge of his nose, eyes itchy, "Haven, I just informed you that I didn't like Barty. Do not call me that. If you can't show respect candidate, then I am going to make you. I would much rather not have to do that."

Bart would have expected this attitude from a gracie, but from a Stage 2, he was a little surprised. But could always hope, "You can't sleep?" That was easy enough for Bart to fix, "Well, you are in luck then. That is what I do best."

That might help. Get the kid some rest and start working him out. They would have to set up a routine.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:59 pm »
Truth be told he couldn't find his uniform jacket this morning. He did understand the rules and so tried to follow the rules because getting in trouble could be bothersome. But it seemed he was close to not starting off well with his new mentor. Just not his day, was it? He wasn't one to be rebellious typically, at least not on purpose. He had his opinions but he would rather not get too involved in things, it only led to pain be it emotionally or physically. Besides he was used to being alone, he was used to only being concerned for himself or Yuka. So it was an adjustment being dragged into this program. Even if he had made it to Stage 2, he was still adjusting.

Haven merely nodded and did as he was told. He pulled off the dark threadbare hooded jumper and let it settle in his lap. He had a plain white shirt on underneath. He wanted to pout but kept his face neutral as Bart scolded him about the nickname thing. Whoops, he hadn't realized he was being disrespectful but he supposed he was possible. Or Bart just really didn't like the nickname. It seemed he'll only be calling him Barty in his head or when he wasn't around. "Sorry, sir."

Haven nodded and inwardly sighed. It's been so long since he last slept a full night. He couldn't even remember what it was like. He tilted his head after that last thing his mentor said. "What do you do best, sir?" How could this man help him? This was very curious. His hand came up and he scratched his head, his inverted black bob getting a bit mussed even though it kind of already was from his earlier nap in the cabinet.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:04 pm »
Thank goodness for small favors. Bart really didn't want to get off badly with his new candidate, but it was far more important to Bart that his kids passed then liked him, "Good. I expect to see you in proper uniform unless it is your day off."

Bartolomeu softened a little, leaning his hip against the desk and running his hand through his hair, "Look, I'm not a hard ass. I promise. Ya could have gotten Roman. But that doesn't mean I wont make sure ya follow the rules, yeah?" The kids never seemed to get it. Not until much later what their mentors were trying to do for them.

It didn't help that some of the mentors took advantage of that. Always a shame. Candidates were to be taught and molded, not abused and manipulated. Such a waste. Like poor Liv. The kid might not have been a candidate so long and might have been a much better Pilot if he had found a better teacher. "Bart is fine. I just don't like Barty much."

The boys question made Bart smile, slow and lazy, "Well, some of us have abilities in addition to the pretty standard telepathy and telekinetics. Mine is that I can put people to sleep."

If the kid was suffering from sleep deprivation, then it might be best to just get him some shut eye and try teaching him later. Bartolomeu held his hand out, "Shall we try?"

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »
Haven couldn't say that he disliked Bart. In fact just on first impression despite how it started he quite liked him. This pairing might be good for him in the long run. Truthfully it was nice to have a mentor now, someone there to guide him in this strange place that was only familiar in the way that he didn't fit in as usual.

He knew of the Pilots and Dragons from books and information on The Network at the orphanage but that place had been somewhat isolated even though it was located in the middle caste. Before he was taken he had the suspicion some of his fellow orphans were being taken as slaves rather than being adopted, but it wasn't as if he knew for sure. All speculation. He was better off, wasn't he? For now Haven didn't question, he just learned and did. Oh and painted.

Roman. He's heard things, seen the man only a handful of times but has never had the pleasure or displeasure of speaking to him or being spoken to by him. Haven only nodded to Bart's rhetorical question about following the rules. He always tried to follow the rules and if he didn't it was usually by accident it seemed.

Haven tilted his head and raised a brow to where it disappeared behind his fringe. Put people to sleep? He figured he knew about his Empathy considering the file he noticed he had. It certainly must be his. He rarely showed negative expressions on his face especially in front of others but at the moment he frowned ever so slightly and his eyebrows furrowed. He eyed the man's hand a moment before unfolding his legs and setting the hoodie beside him on the table.

Haven hopped off the table and took a step forward. One skinny arm came up to scratch his head again and his face relaxed into a lazy smile. "You can try, but no hopes should be up. I have had many things done but none have worked." He yawned. "Besides it's mostly at night when I can't slumber. Surprised I'll be if I get even a half-nights sleep." He took two more steps towards his mentor and stopped to wait.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »
Things would get a lot harder on the kid soon. But, Bart would rather not start off with a bang. He probably should he knew, but he wanted to get a better feel for the kid first, see what touch was needed before he applied the rules and punishments.

"After today Candidate Polaris, ignorance of the rules will not save ya." His soft drawl marked him as having grown up in the lower end of the upper castes, "Ya got a handbook, read it. Learn it. Ya should already know that. A gracie might get away with that, but yer past that stage now. Act like it."

He was going to have to get this one healthy. Get some meat on him and clean him up. While Bart wasn't really in a place to talk about neat uniforms, he did expect it of his candidates. They should learn the habits when they were in training. If they wanted to ignore them as Pilots, he wasn't going to say much, "In addition to yer other physical training, I want you to run laps every day. I'll let ya work out when ya want to fit that into yer schedule, but for now, I want ya running 3 laps a day."

"Let's at least try." Bart's hand came up and rested over the boys face. Made it a little easier when he was touching to person, but he could do it at a distance as well. He gave a small sigh, sliding into the kids mind, searching out the area he wanted. If this worked, the kid was going to drop where he stood, so Bart stood ready to catch him when/if he passed out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal