Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Psychic questions  (Read 1189 times)

Satori

Psychic questions
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
Just a few questions regarding psychics that came up while brainstorming for a character.  It's entirely possible nothing may come of this, but on the other hand something might so here goes.

Is it possible for a psychic to go undetected, even if they live a life that draws a lot of (non-psychic ability related) attention?  If so, would they be more likely to go unnoticed if the psychic's abilities were more subtle, such as one that works on a subconscious level?

For that matter, can psionic abilities work on a subconscious but not conscious level?

Assuming Aedolis has a perfect way of detecting psychic abilities in their population, would it be precise enough to locate and identify a single psychic among a crowd of people?

Is it possible for psionic abilities to be forcibly suppressed?

And...that's it for the moment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

silvermistshadow

Re: Psychic questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »
I have one too:
Can Aedolis detect psychics on other planets? If so, how far does its reach extend? It'd be weird if they had to sort through an entire galaxy of psychics.

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »
Yes, as far as I know, a number of characters on here are undetected psychics. It definitely helps if their abilities are subtle. I don't know if they could only work on a subconscious level; most people would just consider it a lack of training to control psionic ability. Of course, you could probably make it believable.

Aedolis can identify people fairly well, especially if someone is being scrutinized by a Pilot, or other psionic authority, directly. From a distance, using Axis Point, they mainly only search for groups. So, a single person isn't much of a concern, and the person can't be identified, only detected and located. Also, people can only be found while using their abilities.

Yes, psionics are usually suppressed by mordecai. However, a stronger psychic can also try to subdue a weaker psychic (with telepathy, I assume).

I do not know how far Axis Point can reach. It is described as the "nexus of Aedolis, the Network, and all manifested psionic power within its home galaxy." So, I assume it can reach pretty much anywhere in the galaxy. That is probably why it's so exhausting to use, and the reason they only search for large groups.

Helpful? y/n?
Rest assured, I see all of you lovely people's posts, but expect me to be a bit slower responding.

Satori

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »
That's not quite what I mean by "subconscious".  I mean an ability that would work subconsciously in others, such as planting thoughts or ideas that the target is not fully aware of (or aware of at all).  Kind of like posthypnotic suggestion, but with no actual hypnosis involved.

Or, as an extension of my original question, would that be too powerful of a psychic ability for a RP setting?

Offline Flakeblood

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »
Ah. Well, I think that yes, an ability could work subconsciously. I think it would be a specific form of telepathy. Some characters are probably capable of noticing the psionics involved though, so it might not be completely stealthy. And you should probably warn people and ask if they are okay with some very slight godmodding.
Rest assured, I see all of you lovely people's posts, but expect me to be a bit slower responding.

Offline Tally

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »
Hi!  I come with some answers! :D

Is it possible for a psychic to go undetected, even if they live a life that draws a lot of (non-psychic ability related) attention? If so, would they be more likely to go unnoticed if the psychic's abilities were more subtle, such as one that works on a subconscious level?

Yes!  It is possible they'd go undetected, even if they were very much in the public eye.  It would be difficult, but it could be done given the write scenario.  They'd definitely be more likely to go undetected if their psionic ability was subconscious, subtle, or infrequent, but that alone wouldn't guarantee them being undetected.  A number of factors would have to come into play, but it can totally be done.

For that matter, can psionic abilities work on a subconscious but not conscious level?
Definitely!  Just as one example, passive telepathy is common, in which a psychic picks up thoughts like a radio picks up waves.  It is possible for a psychic to use an ability without even realizing it.

Assuming Aedolis has a perfect way of detecting psychic abilities in their population, would it be precise enough to locate and identify a single psychic among a crowd of people?
They're system is really good, but not perfect.  Whether they could pick a single psychic out of a crowd depends on the situation.  It depends on how they are searching at that particular time and what the nature of the psychic's ability is and if they are using it at that time.  Lots of different things would impact the outcome of this!

Is it possible for psionic abilities to be forcibly suppressed?
Yes!  In a ton of different ways, which you're free to explore. (:

Can Aedolis detect psychics on other planets? If so, how far does its reach extend? It'd be weird if they had to sort through an entire galaxy of psychics.
The Axis Point's range is galaxy-wide.  It can pinpoint a single psychic, but that would take a long time, and the psychic would have to use their abilities a lot.  As stated elsewhere in the thread, it is most effective and used mostly to target large groups of psychics.

Yes, psionics are usually suppressed by mordecai. However, a stronger psychic can also try to subdue a weaker psychic (with telepathy, I assume).
Mordecaism suppresses the casting of magic.  It has no effect on the use of psionics, save that a person who IS a mordecai can have no other psychic ability besides that.

That's not quite what I mean by "subconscious". I mean an ability that would work subconsciously in others, such as planting thoughts or ideas that the target is not fully aware of (or aware of at all). Kind of like posthypnotic suggestion, but with no actual hypnosis involved.

Or, as an extension of my original question, would that be too powerful of a psychic ability for a RP setting?
That is totally fine and makes a lot of sense with characters and abilities we have on the site. *thumbsup*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal