Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Size of a Spaceship  (Read 441 times)

Stardancer

Size of a Spaceship
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:45:47 pm »
Okay, so I was wondering on the average size for what would constitute a normal spaceship in a sci-fi setting, so decided to look it up. I looked up Star Trek's USS Enterprise ship measurements as I figured that to be as good a template as any to build upon. The size however of the final version turned out to be between 610-910 meters, depending on the design, of which there were several.

So really my question is, how big would a large warship normally be? I figure anything in the high kilometer range would be the equivalent of a planetoid, which is too big, requiring too much energy and resources to run it. Of course, maybe I am being too nitpicky and none of this really matters. My character Briia is part of one of several space fleets of spaceships for her people and I was trying to figure out an estimate on the size of their war crafts. Since I am in the U.S. and do not use the metric system, I am less familiar with it since we normally use the English system of measurement.

Comments appreciated here.

Stardancer

Re: Size of a Spaceship
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:46:52 pm »
OK, so more or less answered my own question. In case anyone else has similar questions on this, here is an image chart I found useful. Click to zoom in/out.

http://www.chartgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/size_comparison___science_fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechel-d6lfgdf1.jpg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal