Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Get along little doggies! [Bluuuue!]  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Get along little doggies! [Bluuuue!]
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »
Food was hard to come by on the frontier, and Des was beginning to grow desperate.

He had passed through a small frontier town and raided the rubbish heaps and drank from the horse troughs, but before he could think about where on earth he was going to get some clothes so he could blend in and ask for a place to stay, he'd been caught and forced to run or get shot.

Now back out in the dusty middle of nowhere, tongue lolling out of his powerful jaws, Des felt himself running low on options.

He needed to eat, and he needed to hydrate, or he was going to die.

He'd managed to sate both basic needs by catching rabbits or slaughtering livestock here and there, their meat and blood providing the nourishment he needed. But he hadn't seen an animal for miles now.

Maybe he should turn back and take his chances, show up naked and beg for help, say some criminals stole his shit. Maybe. That sounded the logical choice, but part of him was paranoid they'd be able to figure out that he was a criminal, himself, dumped out into the middle of nowhere and left to die. Others had, but he had a hyena's endurance.

Sniffing the air, that was when a new scent caught his nose, something distinctly mammalian, canine, and he began to salivate. Good enough. He'd take it. When he was younger, he would have been queasy at the thought of eating a dog, but nowadays he couldn't afford to be picky.

Picking up his pace, he loped toward the source, licking his lips in anticipation.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

Re: Get along little doggies! [Bluuuue!]
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
Skylar was toiling away in his little plot of land again, as he did every day. Up at dawn, in bed by dusk, it was his life’s routine. Being by himself did have its advantages - for one, he didn’t have to till all that much land, which meant he could focus what little green magic he had into it and make it thrive. His canine’s body missed meat though, and he was even skinnier than he ought to be, and had been that way a long time. On some level he knew it affected his strength and endurance greatly, but so far he’d been able to use his horse to escape rather than having to flee himself. He kept that horse in better condition that himself, terraforming a whole swath of land to house grass and other greenery for it to eat. He feared the day it died of old age though, at which point he’d likely have to venture into a town to barter for a new one, expensive as they were.
It wasn’t the expense he was that worried about though.
It was having to deal with the people.

Shivering, he looked up again, large sky blue eyes scanning the hazy red distance warily. He did it often enough, checking for the familiar outline of people, or a rider. Generally the horse’s hoof beats reached his ears well enough in advance. If the wind was good, he could scent them out even further than his sharp eyes or hearing could - today though, the gusts were traveling away from him.
He had no idea it’d cared his unusual scent to a creature that thought to have him for lunch.

Working as he was behind a sun-rotted fence of slender branches, with nothing in hand but a very well worn hoe, Skylar was completely vulnerable. He’d never once run across a creature that didn’t have that familiar fear-inducing outline.
He was in for a surprise when his head glanced up again, something loping toward him alarmingly close now. Already large eyes widened further, and he dropped the tool into the heads of cabbage abruptly. A strange new form of terror spiked through him, and the scream that let lose quickly turned into a high pitched chirping yowl.
The skinny boy with dreadlocks had almost instantly melted away into a scrawny painted dog, instincts driving him to flee from what was a great threat.
A hyena.

Skylar managed to easily slip from the large overalls, but his stiff white shirt (though it was hardly white these days thanks to all the work in the fields) refused to come lose. He’d have to back out of it, and there wasn’t time, for he was already bolting off across the field toward the far fence. He vaulted over it as if born to fly, and continued to flee on spindly sprinters legs.
Granted, painted dogs had an insane degree of endurance themselves, but Skylar was many years weakened from a lacking diet. Alarmingly, he found his lungs burning almost immediately as he dashed across red clay, dry tongue lolling uncomfortably.
Oh to hells with it, was this really how he was finally going to be caught? Torn apart by an animal?? After all the years fleeing people, it seemed a cruel irony to end it this way.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »
A shape formed on the horizon, and Des picked up his pace, moving from an easy lope to an all out run. There it was! It would see him soon, no doubt; not many places to use for cover. So he had to cover ground now before it did, so it wouldn't get too much of a head start. At an all out run now, it wasn't long before the shape began to take form, the scent growing delightfully strong.

And that was when he saw that the shape was that of a human.

A human that let out a scream that turned into a yip, as that human shape melted into something more canine.

...A shifter, then.

Well. That complicated matters.

But the chase was still on.

The dog took off, and Des poured on the speed. It was miserably hot, but he'd spent enough time traveling, covering miles a day and hunting what he could, to have built up considerable endurance. He tore over the earth, sides heaving, and though the pretty little dog had gotten off to a fast start, it wasn't long before he was gaining.

And then he overtook him.

In one quick, decisive movement, he pulled up alongside him and shoulder-checked him, knocking him flat to the ground. And then he pounced, covering the little dog's body with his own and placing both paws on his chest to keep him pinned.

"Mine."

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Blue

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »
Everything in Skylar was screaming, aching forward, trying to escape the pain that would be powerful jaws catching him. In his panic he could feel the creature gaining, and for a moment it seemed his heart would leap from his body in a bid to save itself. The dry air stung his eyes, his nose, his tongue was like leather even as he pounded the red earth with small paws.
When the decisive blow finally came, it wasn’t at all what he was expecting.

The blow to his bony shoulder took his legs, and he tumbled head over tail twice before a large dark shape was on him. For a blinding moment instinct took over, a peel of terrified chirping yowls escaping his jaws as he was pinned. He struggled to breath under the weight, lungs desperate to draw in air with heaving pants. His entire rear end was curled up pitifully under Des’ body, front paws stiffly sticking out against that muscular furred neck.
His blue eyes were wild with panic, but he ran out of breath for the cries of fear, and instead laid there stiff and silent.
This was it then, he was going to be eaten. And he had no hope of fighting it off, everything in his instincts told him as much.

He was only dimly aware of the fact the creature had even spoken. Somewhere in his mind, he knew that was important, but the fear had overtaken his ability to think like a human. He himself was beyond words, and beyond sounds.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
If Des had been in human form, he could have laughed. Instead, he grinned--but with so many sharp, glistening teeth it looked less like a grin and more like, "I'm going to tear out your throat."

Which he would have already done if he hadn't reached such a strange dilemma.

This pup was a shifter, human just like him. Would that make eating him cannibalism, since they were both human? Or not, since in these forms they were different species? Wait. What were hyenas, anyway? Were they considered dogs? Fuck if he knew. Either way, he had to admit, the idea of eating a dog was a tough one, as he'd had pets before. And killing a human? He was past that. He'd sworn never again.

No matter how he spun this, he couldn't do it.

Besides, the fact that there was another, sentient being out here meant maybe he knew of a good food and water source. He sure felt scrawny, though...

So after a moment's pause while the little dog cried and stared in abject terror, he finally gave a snort and leaned in.

And gave the pup a big ol' slobbery lick all up the side of his neck and face. Just because.

"Relax, little doggie. I'm not gonna eatcha," he said. "But I'm also not gonna letcha up 'til I know ya won't run. Ya hearin' me?"

Blue

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »
This might have been the longest, most excruciating wait he’d ever endured. His heart was still hammering in his chest, and he wished he could just pass out rather than stare up into that mouthful of teeth about to come down on him. Then that massive, powerful jaw was approaching, and a scream of terror caught in his dog’s throat before…

One side of his head was suddenly wet with slobber, and his huge sky blue eyes blinked a few times. His instinctual mind knew this was a good thing, but his human mind was scrambling and confused.
Then the hyena was speaking.
This time the realization caught up with him. This was…a shifter?? His chest was still heaving, but some of the tension slowly relaxed out of him. After staring what he assumed to be death right in its face, anything was better, even despite his innate mistrust.

Abruptly the dog body disappeared, leaving an equally bony young man beneath those paws.
“I-I-I won’t! I-I-I swear it!”
He all but squeaked it out, dreadlocks in a state of disarray, and a good deal of fear still on his face.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »
Aaand suddenly there was a scrawny human beneath him, his paws still planted on his chest. The whole situation was kind of hilarious to him, he had to admit; wasn't everyday you scared the pants off them--or made them yelp with fear. Literally, in both cases.

Des held him there like that for a few moments longer, considering him, and then he stepped off of his chest to let him up.

"Good," he said, and then just as seamlessly as the dog-boy he shifted to human form--only unlike the dog-boy, he had significantly fewer clothes. Which was to say none at all.

He didn't seem bothered by that.

"There. Now will ya fuckin' stop freakin' out? That squeakin' hurts my ears. What's your name, kid?"

Blue

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 11:07:04 pm »
Skylar sat up so fast it was like a spring had gone off under his head. One side of his face was sticky, his dreadlocks in a state of disarray, but his huge blue eyes were stuck on the hyena. Who then quickly shifted into a man. The nakedness didn’t phase him at all - he was frozen simply because this was a person. The thing he most wanted to avoid.
Sitting in just a shirt, hands pressed into his lap, his skinny form continued to heave as he dragged breath into his lungs through his nose, as his jaw was clenched shut. He was a thrumming ball of nervous energy, but he could hardly help it. This had become an everyday reaction to ‘visitors’.
And now he couldn’t even escape.

He tried to swallow, but it took a few tries with his throat as dry as it was.
“S-Skylar.”
He managed to croak it out, and then made no further attempts to talk. He just wanted this man to leave. Whatever it was he wanted, he could have it, and just go. Go away…
All the same, something in him felt more at ease than normal. Even if this creature had given him the worst fright he’d had in years, he was…he was…similar. Another shifter. A creature that was familiar, even if an enemy in most cases.
Just that was enough to inflame all the loneliness in a pack animal without a pack.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »
When Skylar sat up, Des tensed and was ready to tackle the kid down again if he tried to bolt, but then he relaxed when it looked like that wouldn't be the case. Kid probably wouldn't get far, anyway, skinny as he looked, and probably malnourished and dehydrated. He wouldn't last; there didn't seem much left for the sun to shrivel up, and from the way he was breathing, it looked like this scare had done a number on him.

"Skylar, huh?" Des repeated, scratching at his chin, which bore some stubble. It had been days since he'd been in any town, and thus days since he'd been human, and thus days since his last shave.

"Well, Skylar, nice to meetcha, kid! I'm Des. And today is yer lucky day. Lucky 'cause, well, heh, ya got no idea how damned close ya were to becomin' meat! 'Cept yer human, and I ain't no cannibal, and that's against my convictions and shit. So!"

Reaching out, he slapped the boy on the back. "So instead, welcome to the pack. Or somethin'. I guess. I guess that's what dogs do, right? Make packs? And shit, figured since ya was out here, ya must know where a town is. That, or we're both fucked. But there ain't generally people out where there's no town."

He paused, reconsidered. "Uh, unless yer me. Or maybe even you, since ya don't look so fuckin' good. Whatcha been eatin' out here, anyway? Dirt? Shit, kid, don'tcha hunt?"

Blue

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 11:26:57 pm »
The man’s words did little to reassure Skylar, the scrawny boy still trembling something fierce on the hard packed dirt. He barely even registered the man’s name - Des. The slap on his boney back made him yelp, and he hunched over a bit more as the stinging subsided. He was such a big guy…Skylar felt even more skinny by comparison.

Wait.

What?

Welcome…to the pack??? If it was possible, those sky blue eyes became even wider. For a long moment after Des had finished speaking, Skylar continued to stare rather dumbfounded at him, jaw slightly slack. He felt overwhelmed, and more than a little bit sick. His panting was subsiding, but his trembling was only getting worse. Still, he was too afraid not to respond.
“N-No town…n-n-nearby…I-I don’t hunt…j-j-just farm…”
He still didn’t know what to say about the ‘pack’ comment…was that a joke? If so, it was pretty cruel…
“Wh-What do you w-want…???”

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:24 am »
Farm? Des gave him a puzzled look. He sure as hell didn't see any farms out here. Hadn't passed any for...ages. Kid must not be a very good farmer, either, because he sure as hell didn't have any meat on those bones. Yeah, even if he hadn't had the moral convictions to not eat someone of the same species, eating him would have been pointless, anyway. He was just skin and bones.

"What do I want?" Des snorted. "I want food, first and foremost. And I wanna be outta this goddamn sun. I'd like a little human contact, too, so I know I ain't fuckin' out of my gourd. Like, shit, I hope yer fuckin' real here and I ain't talking to a tumbleweed. But heat and solitude, makes ya trip balls faster than a bad acid trip."

He tilted his head, frowned at the kid. "Goddamn, kid, relax already, will ya? Yer makin' me nervous, all yer shakin' and stutterin'. Anyway, it's hot as balls out here, even without fur. Why don't we get on over to that tree over there?"

He pointed to a tree in the distance, a shabby thing indeed, though it at least cast a shadow.

Blue

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 06:25:17 pm »
Oh, if only he were a tumbleweed…this was all but his worst nightmare right here. Although, at the very least, he hadn’t been beaten or killed.
Yet.
The request for food was a predictable one. He didn’t have much stored away to be honest, but maybe if he gave that and whatever else he had to this man, he would leave??

The order to relax, ironically, made him jerk and stiffen. He was a bundle of nerves alright…but he was far from able to help it at this point, after years of living in self imposed fear.
“S-s-sorry…”
His voice was hardly a squeak, and then those large eyes flicked quickly toward the tree. Maybe this was his chance? Maybe if he swore he had nothing of worth to give Des…he’d go away? After all, Skylar knew he wasn’t the picture of a thriving lifestyle, so maybe…and this man didn’t know about his earth mage abilities either.
“O-Okay…b-but I don’t h-have anything…”
Sure, he’d already mentioned the fact he farmed, and his tiny homestead was in the distance…if worst came to worst, he could let Des ransack whatever he could find out of his home. He wasn’t exactly lying, after all…there wasn’t much to be had.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:39:55 pm »
Des's eyes narrowed and his lips twisted into a scowl of annoyance. He looked at Skylar, long and hard. And then with a low growl he rose to his feet, grabbed Skylar under the armpit, and hauled him to his feet.

"Bull. Shit," he said, dragging the boy with him as he trudged for the shade of the scraggly old tree. "Maybe ya ain't got nothin' with ya, but ya said ya farm, didn'tcha? So ya gotta have a farm. 'Cause that's how farms work. So where is it, huh?"

Blue

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:54 pm »
Skylar yelped loudly as he was grabbed, and for a moment he froze. And then he was being dragged along, and the panic set in.
Thrashing and flailing with spindly limbs, the malnourished teen did his best to get away from Des’ much larger frame.
No! No! I’m sorry! Please! Please don’t! It’s over there! Please!
He was practically crying with hysterics. At this point there was nothing but desperation - to live past this experience. To not have to go through the past again. Even if he had to lose everything, he didn’t care.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »
Des froze when the kid he'd just grabbed to help to his feet and stuff devolved into flailing hysterics. It startled him enough that he almost let go, but instead he tightened his grip on him as he struggled, and stared at him in some odd combination of horror, annoyance, and confusion. Here he was, bringing the kid over to the shade, and the kid was acting like he was hauling him off to the butcher's block.

"What the--what the fuck, kid!" he said, and took Skylar by both shoulders so he could give him a little shake--and get a better grip on him so he didn't squirm free. "The hell're ya bawlin' 'bout?! The hell ya think I'm gonna do? Now knock that shit off before ya hurt yerself! I ain't gonna hurt ya, so calm yer ass down!"

Blue

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:20 pm »
Despite how ridiculous the situation must have seemed from afar, all Skylar could think was that this man was going to kill him. Or worse. The shake made his eyes snap shut, but the rattling of his own bony frame brought him out of his hysterics at least a little bit. He kept his eyelids shut tight, but through the fog of panic, he heard at least some of what Des was saying.
Not going to hurt him?

His first reaction was disbelief. Of course he was going to hurt him! Why else would he be here?? Then again, the rational side of his brain managed to get a word in. There was really no reason for Des to lie at this point. Skylar was already completely at his mercy. The farm was easily within view, and he was in no position to escape himself. There was no reason why Des would lie about hurting or not hurting him at this point.

No longer fighting, Skylar simply stood there in his pitifully oversized shirt, caked with dirt as it was, and trembled in Des’ grip. Had he ears, they’d certainly be drooped back against his head, and his tail would definitely be curled between his legs. He wasn’t sure what to say, so he kept quiet and attempted to calm his uneven breathing.
At this point, it might have been obvious that the wereboy had been pretty severely traumatized in the past for such an extreme reaction to happen.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 07:57:02 pm »
Something seemed to have gotten through that thick noggin of Skylar's, because his struggles ceased and then he just stood there, looking pathetic and sounding on the verge of some sort of asthmatic attack. Des sucked in a breath, calling upon his patience reserve, and loosened his grip on Skylar until he was just holding his shoulders instead of restraining him.

"There. There we go. That's better. Alright, see? Just gonna go over to tha' tree over there, get outta the sun, take a breather so ya can calm yer ass down a bit, and then we're gonna head to yer farm, got it? Get some food. Water. Look, kid, I ain't interested in robbin' ya or nothin', but I ain't eaten for a bit now, ya dig?"

And then, rethinking that sentence, he sighed and added, "Before ya panic, don't read too deep into that. Like I said, yer not on the menu. I ain't a monster. Got no interest in hurtin' some defenseless kid, alright?"

Ah. There it was. That was what was bothering him the most about this situation--how Skylar was acting. It was like his past coming back to haunt him, because sure, he had done horrible things in the past, but he was trying to escape that now and had no desire to go back. Being treated like the monster he was trying to flee was...

Upsetting.

Blue

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »
At this point, Skylar was too winded, his throat too parched, to even manage words. He settled for a weak nod instead, no longer attempting to flee, though he still trembled here and there. Honestly if he wasn’t so exhausted, he’d probably be shaking a lot more, as his nerves hadn’t really died down all that much.
Again that promise not to hurt him, and again he didn’t believe it. He couldn’t help the kneejerk reaction of his brain screaming ‘LIES’ at any such promise. Yet at the same time, he was again reminded that Des honestly had no reason to lie at this point.
Fingers dug into his shirt at his belly, he allowed himself to finally be led into the shade of the tree. He hardly felt the heat anymore these days, having always been out in it, working hard from morning til night. He probably only had the dog in him to thank for not having suffered some kind of heat stroke long ago.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 01:17:23 pm »
All he got was a nod, but a nod was good enough. Once in the shade of the tree, Des released Skylar after giving his shoulder a friendly squeeze. "Good. Alright. Now just take a breather and chill, got it?"

It was also an excuse for Des to catch his breath, because although he wasn't winded, dealing with such a high-strung, panicked kid was...well, just watching him was making him exhausted! How the shit hadn't he given himself a heart-attack yet?

He stretched his arms over his head until his back popped, then stood there looking at Skylar with his hands behind his head. "Now, that's yer farm over there, eh? Just tell me when yer ready to get a move on, but don't take too long. I'm fuckin' parched. Ya got water over there, too, don'tcha? Fuck, I hope ya got water."

Blue

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »
Being in the shade did help a little, as his heavy breathing was finally starting to even out. Sadly the decrease in temperature didn’t help his painfully dry mouth and throat. The popping sound drew his attention, and he glanced nervously up at Des for a moment. But as soon as the man looked back at him, he averted his gaze.
He did have water. It was always the hardest part of any move, digging a well and crafting his earth magic around it. Honestly, his effectiveness at terraforming was getting worse and worse, and he knew it was due to his slowly weakening body. If he had to uproot again, in all honesty, he probably wouldn’t survive it.
Since it seemed his ‘guest’ was ready to go, he gave another stiff nod before slowly backing up and out of the knobby overhang of the tree. With trudging steps he led Des toward his home, only pausing to retrieve his overalls just inside the rickety fence that outlined barely fertile earth. He awkwardly stepped back into them even as he held open the dusty wooden door for Des, head still down. His home was all hand built and thus very small. It was essentially just one large room, with a small kitchen setup at one end, and a cot at the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal