Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: The reception's gotten fuzzy [Jaxon]  (Read 2433 times)

chelle

Re: The reception's gotten fuzzy [Jaxon]
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
Toori frowned as Jaxon explained, trying to slot these events into his fuzzy memory of the last twenty-four hours. He didn't remember passing out at work, but then he couldn't recall much of anything after getting there in the morning, and the rest was a haze, except for...

"Oh," Toori said, memory realigning itself in his mind, "I thought I dreamed that." He frowned in confusion, trying to remember the foggy, dreamlike conversation he'd had with Jax. He couldn't remember any of the details, just that Jax had been there, and Toori had been glad. He was still glad. But something still wasn't...

Realization hit Toori and his eyes went wide and snapped over to Jaxon, because the second part of Jaxon's story had just sunk in. Toori's grandfather had called Jaxon, and now he was here? There was no way Jaxon could have gotten here so fast if he hadn't dropped everything and rushed back to Edanith, and just because Toori had gotten sick? He'd been sick before, though not this bad, but he'd been able to take care of himself before. It wasn't really that serious, so why had Jaxon come? That was a scary question and Toori suspected it didn't have an easy answer.

The truth of the matter was that they had only known each other four months, give or take, and yes, they were friends but... Toori couldn't help but find it strange and exhilarating that Jaxon had shown such devotion, even if he didn't understand why. Finally, Toori looked down, twisting the blanket nervously between his fingers.

"Thank you," he said, unable to look Jaxon in the eye, "For coming."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Jenny

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:55 pm »
As an expression of surprise settled on Toori's features, Jaxon looked away uncomfortably, focusing his gaze on the floor. He knew how it sounded- he wasn't oblivious to the fact that his coming to Tynova so quickly was a show of devotion and loyalty, that wasn't exactly something that was unusual for him. When it came to his close friends, such as Cass, or members of the old gang in general, Jaxon was always willing to help, though in the past it had been a matter of repaying favors and expressing his gratitude for what the gang had done for him. And he was a loyal person, he knew that. Though he seemed the type to be more careless and unreliable than dependable, Jaxon was usually the first person who was willing to help his friends.

Still, this was different. Why? Maybe because he was so worried, so protective. Jaxon had stitched up his friends plenty of times after fights, seen their blood, had to clean them up, and he never felt worried the way he felt over Toori. He'd had friends in prison, and it hadn't been like this.

The entire thought process left him a little raw, and Toori's gratitude only worsened that feeling. He shrugged, trying to play at indifference. "It's not a big deal," he lied blatantly. It had been a big deal. He just didn't want it to become one. He didn't want Toori to know how worried he was, and how much effort he'd put into coming to Tynova to see him. The entire thing seemed incredibly ridiculous to him, not that he ashamed of it, but that he was ashamed of what he felt.

chelle

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59:01 am »
Jaxon seemed very uncomfortable about this subject, not wanting to deal with (or talk about) his own grand dramatic gesture, which Toori found simultaneously baffling and charming. Jaxon had never been one for dramatics, or at least not dramatics that actually meant something, and Toori found himself smiling in spite of himself.

Jaxon claimed that it wasn't a big deal, but all that confirmed was that it actually was a big deal, a huge deal, because nobody had ever cared enough about Toori to literally hop on a ship on short notice just because he passed out at work. And that was-- Toori knew it meant something about Jax, but more than that, he felt how amazingly glad he was that Jaxon had done all that, that Jaxon was here when Toori needed him.

Toori wanted to say something more, but this idea was barely formed in his head, and it was too big to put into words. Toori wasn't even sure he'd have the courage to say anything, if he could put it into words. And though the medicine he'd (supposedly) taken earlier had made him feel better, he was by no means feeling good, and now wasn't the time for potentially emotional claims.

So instead he smiled at Jax and said, "I hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing while I was out of it."

Jenny

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:32 am »
Jaxon was content with Toori's well-timed change of topic, relieved that it hadn't become a thing. It was a little naïve, but Jaxon really believed that Toori didn't consider it a big deal, and that his words had deterred any sort of drama about it. He wasn't waiting for a show of gratitude- he wasn't there for that, not to have anyone stroke his ego and make him feel like some fantastic and charitable person. He wasn't, wasn't trying to be, and he wasn't looking to be treated like one. He was here for Toori, and that was pretty much it.

With that in mind, he swallowed his feelings and looked up at the other with a smile. "Nothing too embarrassing," he assured him, his smile growing a little cheeky as he realized the opportunity to tease Toori. It was too good of an opportunity; he couldn't pass it up. "Just a few persistent accusations that I was a hallucination. I am not, I'll have you know. Oh, and you seemed determined to see if I was real or not. A little grabby.." he teased, intentionally avoiding specifics so that he could embarrass Toori as much as possible. (And he wouldn't admit it, but he wanted to see Toori blush).

chelle

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
Toori smiled when Jaxon told him how he'd insisted Jax was a hallucination. As he'd been waking up he assumed that had been a dream, but now that he was more lucid he vaguely remembered not believing Jaxon was real. He couldn't really blame himself for jumping to that conclusion, even now when he was mostly sane and knew Jaxon was really here he couldn't believe it.

When Jaxon gave him a sly look and said the word grabby, Toori paled. He tried desperately to remember their earlier encounter, something other than a vague recollection of seeing Jaxon and not believing it was him, but with no luck. It was like his memory had been wiped clean.

"I dont remember," Toori choked out, turning his wide-eyed stare at Jaxon, becoming slowly more mortified as his imagination ran away with him, "What do you mean by... Grabby?" He had a brief mental image of throwing himself at Jaxon in his fevered state, grabbing whatever bits of Jaxon he could reach to assure himself that Jaxon was there, and promptly blushed.

Jenny

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 07:48:48 pm »
Jaxon's smile slowly eased away from conniving and approached sincerity as he grew more amused, witnessing Toori's rather predictable but still satisfyingly dramatic reaction. He wasn't sure (as Toori sputtered at him in demand for details) if he felt more guilty for teasing him, or entertained by the mortification on his face. When the blond finally blushed, he grinned and laughed lightly. It occurred to him vaguely, somewhere in the back of his mind, that he enjoyed the sight a little too much, and tried to push away the feeling as he replied. "Just, you know, lots of touching. I had to pry your hands off me.." he teased a little more, pausing for a moment before laughing and giving it up altogether. "I'm just kidding, silly."

He pushed himself up off the floor and sat on the edge of Toori's bed again, reaching over the minimal distance between them to ruffle his hair. "You weren't touchy at all," he assured him, leaning back on his hands and smiling comfortably.

chelle

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:49 pm »
Toori's eyes slowly got wider when Jaxon informed him that it was exactly as bad as he was imagining, only to freeze when Jax laughed and admitted he was lying. His expression of shock dropped quickly into a glare, which only got more murderous when Jax ruffled his hair like he was a kid. He slapped Jaxon's hand away and then smacked his arm for good measure.

"You are such a jerk," he bit out, sitting up and crossing his arms over his chest, "I thought I was sick? Aren't you supposed to be getting me soup and being nice to me?" He was all but pouting, at least until he doubled over with a coughing fit, and when he straightened again he groaned.

Jenny

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 04:31:38 am »
Jaxon only laughed more when Toori reached out to slap his hand away, punctuating it with a smack to the arm as well- neither of which he attempted to avoid, knowing well that he'd earned them. He rubbed his arm lightly and whined, though Toori hadn't hurt him too much at all. "Do you really--" want me to go try to cook, he was going to say, before Toori interrupted, dropping his head and coughing for a few seconds. Jaxon pulled a frown, feeling the urge to reach out and.. And, what? he wondered, frustratedly, resenting the part of him that seemed to always want to be close to Toori or touching him. He kept his hands to himself.

"Water," he noted, nodding his head at the night table where a bottle of water sat forgotten. Jaxon paused to let Toori drink before continuing. "Anyway, I don't know how much niceness you've earned. You know, you shouldn't have been going to work sick," he chastised, as he'd been wanting to. "You could have at least taken some medicine."

chelle

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »
Toori took the water gratefully, drinking half of what was left, and though it was cool it didn't seem to actually do much to help with his sore throat. When Jaxon scolded him he winced, and only partly because he was in pain. He fiddled with the blanket again, looking sheepish and trying to figure out the best way to say he hadn't realized he was getting sick, and in a way that Jaxon would believe him.

"I didn't, um..." Toori sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "I didn't realize I was sick?" he winced again at how ridiculous that excuse sounded, "Really. I don't get sick very often, and I've been working long hours lately and... I don't know. It snuck up on me." Toori's shoulders slumped as he admitted this, realizing that now that he actually was sick, he would doubt be missing several days of work. He couldn't afford to miss more than a few days, though he suspected that as long as Jaxon was here he wouldn't allow Toori to go to work. Jaxon probably wouldn't be able to stay that long, anyway, he'd have to get back to his ship soon, and then Toori would go back to work.

Jenny

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:47:31 pm »
Jaxon's expression softened a bit as he watched Toori. The sheepish reaction he'd earned caused him to feel a bit like he was scolding a sad puppy, and, well, he'd always had a soft spot for coyness. Still, he did want to make a point to Toori. Hopefully if he listened now, he'd save himself a lot of discomfort in the future. Ignoring his symptoms had no doubt made the situation worse, having given the flu time to develop until it grew more severe than it would have been if he'd treated it. Trying to maintain his position since he knew it was worth pursuing, Jaxon crossed his arms and shot Toori an unforgiving look as he tried to explain.

"You should be more careful," he admonished, pursing his lips slightly. "And why have you been working so much anyway?" Jaxon questioned almost demandingly. As that thought occurred to him, as did the possibility-- the high possibility- that Toori would want to throw himself right back into work after a day. Predictable Toori, he considered. "Don't even try to go back to work until you're better. I won't let you. I'll stay here if I have to," Jaxon threatened with a frown.

chelle

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »
Toori's sheepishness turned into annoyance as Jaxon continued to scold him, especially asking why Toori had been working so much. He had to support himself and his grandfather and his grandfather's medical bills, so of course he was working as often as he could. Toori crossed his arms over his chest and glowered at Jaxon, trying to keep his temper in check, because there was no way Jaxon would know about that particular problem. Toori had never mentioned it to him so of course he wouldn't know. He still didn't like being treated like a misbehaving kid.

He looked shocked briefly as Jaxon seemed to read his mind, but quickly covered it with his annoyed glare.

"You can't do that! You have a job. I have a job, and if I don't do that job I'll get fired," he protested, "And in case you haven't noticed, you're not my mother, or my father or my brother or anything like that, and I'm an adult and I can take care of myself. You're not responsible for me." Toori continued to glare at Jaxon, and all right, maybe he was being a little bratty but he still didn't like how little he understood about Jaxon's actions. He'd come to Toori's side at a moment's notice, but as soon as he was at Toori's side he decided to belittle him and scold him? It didn't make sense.

Jenny

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 02:21:13 pm »
As Toori began to protest, Jaxon arched his eyebrows, expression turning to one of disbelief with a twinge of annoyance that matched Toori's well. He couldn't comprehend why Toori was getting so frustrated, but he didn't regret pursuing the topic, and if anything, Toori's childish behavior only made him feel more justified in his words. Toori didn't seem to understand how much harm he was doing by not looking after himself properly. Regardless, the remainder Toori's outburst rubbed Jaxon the wrong way, causing his expression to falter. He disliked that Toori had pointed out the way Jaxon was acting- like he was responsible for him, like he had any say, like he was family or for that matter, someone who deserved a say. It was a bit of a wake up call. You're just his friend, you've only known him a few months, why do you care so much? he asked himself inwardly, feeling his own burst of frustration, and it was only barely directed at Toori.

"Fine!" he snapped, standing from the bed and dropping his arms from where they'd been crossed. He glowered, and if he'd let himself, he would have been surprised at how much he was letting himself feel. And how much he did feel, at the implication that his words didn't matter to Toori. "My opinion doesn't matter to you, I get it. But I don't think I'm wrong. You're hurting yourself and you don't even realize it. Don't be a baby about it."

chelle

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »
Toori was somewhat bewildered by the outburst he got in return, leaning back a little when Jaxon stood suddenly. He stared at Jax when he snapped, not comprehending what Jaxon was going on about. When Jaxon called him a baby, though, he glared again.

"Hurting myself? I have a cold, Jaxon. I'm not dying. What, do you think I got sick on purpose? That I asked for this? That I was too stupid to avoid getting sick so I need you to follow me around with a bottle of disinfectant?" He glared at Jaxon, daring him to reply, to explain what he was going on about.

Toori knew that his own annoyance had more to do with being sick than actual annoyance; he hated being sick, hated being trapped in bed and feeling weak and slow. His confusion about Jax just added to his frustration, and though on some level he knew he was only snapping at Jax because he was upset and uncomfortable, in that moment he couldn't bring himself to care.

Jenny

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »
Jaxon grit his teeth together as Toori spoke, trying to keep his fluctuating temper in check. He was never a particularly angry person- rarely prone to any outburts and more likely to act indifferent- but Toori's behavior was irritating him beyond belief. It was the fact that he cared about Toori that was making him less likely to hold back, and Jaxon knew that it made him vulnerable. He hated feeling vulnerable like this. "Stop being so immature," he sighed out, shaking his head. "I'm not blaming you for getting sick. I just wish you'd think about yourself a little more--" He stopped himself short upon realizing where his words were going, and turned his back to Toori.

Mixed in among the frustration and annoyance, Jaxon felt raw and open. It wasn't like him to get this way, and he saw how transparent he was being about how much he cared about Toori. He couldn't go on as such. "This conversation is pointless," he remarked brusquely, making his way out of the room. He knew he wouldn't be able to leave Toori for long, but hopefully it would be enough for him to get his feelings under control.

chelle

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 03:06:56 pm »
Toori stared when Jaxon abruptly stopped talking, and then said This conversation is pointless and left the room.

"Jaxon!" Toori called after him, still angry and wanting to take it out on someone, but after a beat he realized what had just happened. The guilt was sudden and immense, and Toori stared at the empty doorway in shock. He remembered a few months ago, when Jaxon had left like that, and Toori hadn't known whether or not Jax was going to come back. Jaxon had come back last time, but Toori didn't know if he would come back this time. And even if he did come back this time, how many times could Toori push Jaxon away before he stopped coming back?

Toori frowned, feeling a wave of insecurity and misery. He couldn't even keep one friend for longer than a few months. Toori laid back down and pulled the blankets over his head. He didn't think he'd be able to sleep, but the warm darkness under his blankets was better than staring at the doorway and hoping for Jaxon to appear in it.

Jenny

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »
Jaxon sighed as he closed the door behind him, leaning against it for just a minute as Toori called out his name angrily. He let his eyes slide shut, squeezing his hands into fists as the frustration and annoyance he'd cultivated during their argument dissipated, fizzling into what felt mostly like regret. He hadn't come to Tynova to argue with Toori. He'd come to help him and be there for him because he was sick, because Toori's grandfather had asked him to, and because he'd wanted to. With that thought, he pushed himself off the door and made his way downstairs.

At the foot of the stairs, it occurred to him that neither of them had eaten a thing yet. He strode into the kitchen, his eyes meeting the clock which read a later hour than he had expected. They'd slept a lot, apparently. His own hunger kicking in, he realized that Toori must have been even hungrier, and settled on going to buy some food. It wasn't like he was capable of making anything. Jaxon stopped by his bags which he'd left by the door to get some money, then left in search of food.

When he returned a half-hour later, it was with a small bag and a cup of tea. He'd managed to find a small shop that looked fairly good and, upon discussion with the woman working there, met much insistence that their carrot ginger soup was the best for a sore throat. Jaxon bought just that, along with a sandwich for himself and some tea for Toori. While he'd been out, he'd tried not to think about Toori, but as he made his way back upstairs, it was quite inevitable. Looking back on their argument, he knew it had been incredibly stupid and childish, on both sides. Still, Toori's words had stung more than he would have liked, and he felt unsure and hesitant (two things he was hardly used to) as he entered Toori's room again.

Toori was asleep, and entirely under the blankets at that, like one big amorphous blob. Jaxon wasn't sure if he was relieved, or not (He was amused, at least). He wouldn't have taken it well if he'd opened the door to be met with Toori's glare or to be asked why he hadn't left yet. But now he had to wake Toori up, or else the food would get cold. He placed the bag down on Toori's night stand and sat down at his side again, suddenly wondering why he was so attached to this blond, so incapable of leaving him for very long at all. "Toori," he sighed, leaning over to shake him lightly.

chelle

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 03:50:45 pm »
Toori had misjudged how comfortable his bed was and how tired he was, and within minutes of surrendering to his little cocoon he was asleep. His sleep wasn't very deep though, as he was uncomfortable and still upset about the fight with Jaxon. He stirred when his bed dipped and he heard Jaxon's voice, taking a moment to extract himself from his mountain of blankets. He blinked blearily at Jax, remembering the fight after a moment.

"Oh," he said, relieved and guilty at once, "I thought you weren't coming back." He looked up at Jax, miserable and more sick as the medicine he'd taken hours ago was starting to wear off. "I'm sorry."

Jenny

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 04:07:08 pm »
Jaxon diverted his gaze as Toori made his way out from under the mountain of blankets, trying to meet his eyes. For whatever reason, he expected that Toori would still be angry or even that Toori would tell him to leave, and he felt uncomfortable at the thought. Yet, he couldn't have been anymore off. Toori's voice was soft, not angry, and when he spoke he told Jaxon that he hadn't expected him to come back. Jaxon almost laughed at the ridiculousness of it all, but then Toori was apologizing and that was much more important. He shifted, still feeling unsure though he lifted his gaze to meet Toori's eyes finally. "I'm sorry too," he said. "I shouldn't have..." Jaxon trailed off, wanting to say that he had no place to tell Toori what to do. He recalled the way he'd felt when Toori had pointed out there lack of any significant relation between them, and he felt distinctly aggravated and unsatisfied at that thought, like he wanted to mean more to Toori than he did. Jaxon shook his head. "I'm sorry," he repeated. "I brought you food."

chelle

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 04:30:41 pm »
Toori watched Jaxon, wanting to say more but unsure what, what kind of apology to offer, or even why Jaxon had got so angry. At the mention of food, though, the fight all but evaporated from his mind.

"Food?" Toori perked up, sitting up a little and frowning when his head lurched, "What'd you get?" His head was feeling significantly more foggy now, especially after his brief nap. "I'm starving. And sleepy." He thought after eating he might sleep again, or maybe toke more medicine.

"I shouldn't have gone off on you like that, I'm so glad you're here," he said without really thinking about it, reaching for the soup Jaxon had brought him.

Jenny

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 05:17:54 pm »
Jaxon's unsure expression gradually eased up, turning into an amused smile as he watched Toori visibly perk up at the mention of food, suddenly beginning to speak more and less reservedly. Jaxon, too, felt the mood change gradually. "Carrot ginger soup," he replied, reaching for the sandwich he purchased for himself and placing it on his lap. He unwrapped it slowly, his hunger having taken a backseat over the past half hour during which he'd been more focused on his worry and guilt. He looked up at Toori again when the other told him he was glad Jaxon was there. Jaxon paused, noting pointedly how much better that made him feel, before continuing to unwrap his sandwich. "So all I had to do was bring food and everything is better," he teased with a smile. "I got you some tea, too."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal