Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: TV Dinners Just Ain't Enough  (Read 559 times)

Anonymous

TV Dinners Just Ain't Enough
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »
She laughed and smiled and felt that thing in her chest tighten, thump at her ribs. The apologetic look on his face made her stomach churn; so she laughed again, giggled like an airhead. Maybe he would go away if she just kept smiling. Yah, that was it. Smile and laugh good-naturedly.

"Close. My name is Luisatria Veln. Yah, I was in that commercial. Right." She smiled and laughed once more, willing the loud, driving beat of the music to drown out the disappointment that was no doubt evident in her tone. Another apology from him, and she turned back to her drink, waited for the poor, embarrassed fellow to flee. It was something like... awkward, party of two?

That was to be expected, though. So he had gotten her name a little bit wrong? It was better than being a complete nobody, right?

Luisatria groaned and murmured softly, “Doesn’t feel any better…” before taking another gulp of the awful fruity drink she had ordered as result of curiosity and the stupid idea that it could never hurt to try new things. This drink definitely had enough sugar and synthetic flavoring in it to do something dangerous. And the coloring? The thing was practically glowing.

She glanced beside her to be sure the mistaken stranger had gone elsewhere, and after his getaway had been confirmed, Lui traced her finger along the edge of her chem-lab filled glass and sighed. It had been too much to expect any real publicity from a bad acting job. Not to mention the accompanying seven second cut of a half-assed attempt at making music that somehow “reflected the honest and satisfying flavor” of frozen, factory-made, dinner-in-a-box.

Being a newbie was… humbling. Not that she had a real sense of pride. That wasn’t the issue; it was more a matter of determination to go beyond the millisecond of attention gained by a few seconds of promoting soggy bachelor “food.” She did not want to forever remain in the advertising business. She wanted to play more than jingles. However, Lui had to take what she could get, and if that meant singing about chicken nuggets and mixed vegetable combos for a few months, before landing a lucky break, she could probably handle it. Hopefully.

Besides, she had enough money to goof around for a week or two and enjoy some free time, until she had to get back to job-searching. Maybe she'd even have a chance to write a song about something you couldn’t find in the freezer aisle. For the moment, it would be a good idea to snag a little interesting company to buy her a drink… A drink that didn’t taste like perfume and look like it belonged in a toxic-waste dump. Hopefully that interesting company had a good suggestion, something strong...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: TV Dinners Just Ain't Enough
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:26:24 pm »
Yasmine didn't really want to be at the club. She didn't mind going out drinking on occasion, or even dancing, but this place was just so packed. And the friends that had dragged her along had long since vanished into the crowd. So she hung around the bar, feeling awkward and somewhat nervous.

And she knew she stuck out. She still had her makeup on from work, but her clothes weren't the normal clubwear, leggings and a long, baggy top, belted around her waist. As it didn't how much skin and the shirt left plenty to the imagination, Yasmine very much looked like she didn't belong.

She sipped her drink, wishing she was less awkward. Glancing over, she realized the girl next to her had the same drink she did. It was fruity and bright and she loved them! Giving socialization a go, Yasmine smiled, lifting her drink slightly, "Hey, we seem to have the same taste!"

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »
Luisatria peered around, running her long fingers through her choppy bleached hair. She had managed to drink enough of the bright and sweet concoction to gain a slight buzz and cheeriness about her. She had not, on the other hand, had enough to make her forget how much she hated the taste.

She was lost in half a thought when a voice made its way through the chaotic sounds of the club and met her pointed ears. It caught her off guard, and she turned to see a girl beside her, holding a matching glass of the likely radioactive drink. The girl was pretty, modestly dressed in comparison to Lui’s own outfit of short cut-offs and a tight tank top.

What had she said; something about the drink? Similar tastes? Lui raised her eyebrows at the statement, her wide green-blue eyes staring for a moment as she lifted her own glass. “This? Oh… It…”

Makes me sick? Tastes like a freakin’ blended up fruit-basket?

She opted for a more mild reply. “I’m not really that into it.” She gave a sheepish half-smile. “I like to try new things. Sometimes it doesn’t work out so well.”

There. Good girl. She hadn't said anything disastrous or provoking or... well, particularly rude. She didn't want to be rude. It just happened sometimes.

"So..." She ventured back towards the danger-zone; those lovely moments she opened her mouth. "How bout you? You like that drink?"

DUH. Of course she likes that drink. I'm the one that buys things without thinking.

At least the question didn't sound rude. Just incredibly stupid. But stupid was better than rude.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:24:21 am »
"Oh, well, yeah, I guess it isn't for everyone." Yasmine gave a small, awkward laugh, tucking a strand of her thick hair behind her ear. She wasn't off to a good start so far, but it could have been worse.

"I like it. It doesn't taste like booze. And it's so fruity and bright." Her hands tightened around her glass, body language tense. She was always so awful about talking to people. She had never had much of a gift with words.

"It's pretty crazy here tonight, huh?"

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:47:39 pm »
Awkward laugh, a certain stiffness about her... The girl was uncomfortable already?

Lui felt her own posture straighten up, tense, and she searched for the words that could have set the strange atmosphere. There was nothing particularly awful.

"Yah, pretty crazy..." Luisatria sent an absentminded glance towards the rest of the club, fidgeting at the straps of her shirt. She turned back to the girl with an abrupt movement, her expression marked by a sudden sort of determination. "Sorry, I think I'm just having a bad night, so if I said anything to trouble you, I wasn't really trying to..."

She decided to continue, figuring it was too late to backtrack. "And that drink is really one of the worst things I've ever ordered, but it's cool if you like it, and I totally don't mean any sort of offense or anything. I mean, my opinion is my opinion and it doesn't really matter either way." She took a breath and looked the girl in the eyes.

Saying too little, saying too much, saying the wrong things.... Lui didn't bother to care anymore. It was her vacation, after all. No need to stress.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »
"What? Oh! No!" Yasmine gave another small laugh, cursing herself that her awkwardness was showing through so badly, "You haven't said anything wrong and it's totally fine to not like the drink. I have odd tastes. I just..." She waved her hand at the club around them, "This isn't really my scene. My co-workers dragged me along and crowds make me nervous."

Taking a long drink, Yasmine was hoping the booze would kick in soon, loosen her up a little. "Sorry. It's really not you. I'm just not very good at talking to new people. As you may have noticed." Holding her hand out, Yasmine gave Luisatria a smile, "I'm Yasmine."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal