Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Lots of questions...  (Read 544 times)

Anonymous

Lots of questions...
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »
Ok a few things I need to know before posting. XD

1. Daily activities. I'm trying to get a visual of how the training complex is. I watch a lot of Stargate so my mind is picturing some advanced-like building with a lot of technology. My mind is thinking of their down time in the same way as well.

2. Drills and simulations. What exactly is being trained? What sort of drills? Is it military drills like the army and such do? Lots of exercises, obstacle courses. What exactly goes on? How do they train their candidates through each stage? Are normal classes like math and history in the day or evening? How is the schedule or is it different for everyone? Do we have free reign to say what happened in a class, what class our candidate took and how well they did? Like can we say our candidate talked to a teacher and this happened, etc.

3. I know no pyschic stuff happens in stage 1. And I hear its rough for candidates, but how do I go along playing that? How rough exactly is it? Or will that naturally happen if I post and someone rough's my guy up? lol.

3. Playing a Pilot Candidate. If I make a post I can pretty much play him how I want to right? He has a reputation for being a genius so its cool to say a few things about him and say he just came back from a class, etc and what happened in the class? Also another question to tie in with this - how does a candidate's schedule and life change if he has a mentor vs not having a mentor. What is the difference?

4. Is it possible for a dragon with a "seer" ability to have already chosen a pilot candidate even before that candidate enters the program? I have a dragon in mind for this, however they do not really involve themselves in this pilot's life much. They are very high and mighty in personality. Sometimes there are dreams or a soft "suggestion" from the dragon. The dragon views the pilot candidate as her personal property already. As belonging to her. She is a high ranking dragon and likes to get her way, even if it means bitching a few pilots around... >.> Is there anything that would not work about this? I really like the idea and can tweak it too. I've read through all the information a hundred times and backwards. I just want to make sure.
Edit: I also want to add if this prissy, wants her way dragon felt like it, is it possible she could say protect her "property" before the candidate even finished the program.

5. I'm very plotty. If I come up with a major plot that will affect a lot of people, does that need approval? I don't mean like tearing down Aedolis or something lol but something that down the road would say affect a whole lot of charries. Do we need appoval before causing some chaos somewhere?

6. Danger to pilots and dragons. Do plots like these need approval as well? I'm not talking about god moding or anything, but plot-wise danger...

7. A Pilot Candidate with a sickness like say being anemic or someone who needs to get a shot every day for some reason. Would they even be allowed in the program? They show no signs of real weakness and have no problem completing the courses and such. They just have a sickness that can't be cured, etc. Like an ongoing sickness. Say a shot or pill on a daily basis keeps him in top shape.

I have a lot of other questions, but I think I can't really ask at this point cause I like keeping ideas a secret. XD;
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Lots of questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »
Oh want to add another quick question!

New candidates! Do they have to check in with some big names/people in charge when they first arrive? I'd like to play something like that out as my guy is getting looked at for the very first time.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:47:00 pm »
5.what kind of plots would you have in mind for your pilot guy in a world where everything is supervised and orderly? see? its not much you can do outside the sandbox.

6. What kind of danger would you possibly end up with at stage one? that time that sorrow, if you want to place your pilot in danger. Go ahead. if you endanger others then its usually required to go on with their consent. No admin approval would be needed if i get my spirits of the earth logic correct.

7. No. If he is somehow deprived of his medicine. GG right there, you'd probably be sent to trim and never seen again.

Though i have been in the wrong before and am relatively new.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:03:30 pm »
Quote from: "Madkipz"
5.what kind of plots would you have in mind for your pilot guy in a world where everything is supervised and orderly? see? its not much you can do outside the sandbox.

6. What kind of danger would you possibly end up with at stage one? that time that sorrow, if you want to place your pilot in danger. Go ahead. if you endanger others then its usually required to go on with their consent. No admin approval would be needed if i get my spirits of the earth logic correct.

7. No. If he is somehow deprived of his medicine. GG right there, you'd probably be sent to trim and never seen again.

Though i have been in the wrong before and am relatively new.

There's a lot one can do outside the sandbox. =3 I can't really say what the plots are, that would give it away. XP And not even sure I'm gonna do them, lol. I already understand everything is supervised and orderly, I've found a bit of a loophole though.  I'm good at plotting around things so maybe what I'm going to do is okay. I've been rpn with Rhi and a bunch of other people for years so I have an understanding about the order of things, no worries there. But I guess as long as people have time to respond and the plot makes sense then it should be okay.

In response to 6, not everyone who's a candidate is unhappy. XD Danger also takes time and proper set up so I could easily begin it at stage 1, I don't see a problem there. I'm not talking about endangering others without their consent. I'm talking about causing danger and of course giving them time to respond. ^^ But yeah no plots right at this moment cause I'm new. I want to rp my guys around the place a bit and get a feel for it first.

7 - Yeah that makes sense. I guess a sickly candidate who doesn't need medicine should do then. Like someone who gets colds a lot or something. Maybe more vulnerable to the flu lol.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! ^^ It really helped with those questions to be able to bounce back thoughts about that. I think I'm worried too much and just should jump in. >.>

*camps out for someone to answer the other questions*

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:53:09 pm »
First of all, I'll try to catch Tal on MSN and direct her to this thread--she can probably give you more info on the ATC than anyone!

Here's my best effort:

1. Daily activities. I'm trying to get a visual of how the training complex is. I watch a lot of Stargate so my mind is picturing some advanced-like building with a lot of technology. My mind is thinking of their down time in the same way as well.

Sure, why not?  I don't know anything about Stargate, but I imagine what little down time they have is spent either sleeping, in the library, studying in their rooms, or doing whatever recreational activities they can.  I think it's sensible to expect some sports are allowed, for example.

2. Drills and simulations. What exactly is being trained? What sort of drills? Is it military drills like the army and such do? Lots of exercises, obstacle courses. What exactly goes on? How do they train their candidates through each stage? Are normal classes like math and history in the day or evening? How is the schedule or is it different for everyone? Do we have free reign to say what happened in a class, what class our candidate took and how well they did? Like can we say our candidate talked to a teacher and this happened, etc.

We pretty much improvise classes, but if you read the overview of Candidacy on the wiki, you can see what academic subjects they study in each of the stages.  I imagine there are lots of exercises and obstacles courses.  I'm not sure we've been specific about when in the day physical training and academic work take place.  And, ah, I think you're free to improvise lessons and grades, but it might be more fun if more people decided to have their Pilots (or Stage Five Candidates) teaching!  Hit me up any time if you'd like to reference a class one of my Pilots has taught.  That's actually a great idea. :) We should play with that more.

3. I know no pyschic stuff happens in stage 1. And I hear its rough for candidates, but how do I go along playing that? How rough exactly is it? Or will that naturally happen if I post and someone rough's my guy up? lol.

You can reference some things with NPCs, heck, yeah!  And I'm definitely guilty of playing with myself, so to speak.  But I think it's more fun to post open and see what happens, or, if you don't think there are enough bullies around, play one yourself.  Or poke around checking which Pilots and Candidates your Candidates shouldn't bother.  Then--ask the player if your character can bother them.  :P

3. Playing a Pilot Candidate. If I make a post I can pretty much play him how I want to right? He has a reputation for being a genius so its cool to say a few things about him and say he just came back from a class, etc and what happened in the class? Also another question to tie in with this - how does a candidate's schedule and life change if he has a mentor vs not having a mentor. What is the difference?

You can play your character however you like, because... he's your character, right?  If you say something unbelievable, people will letcha know it sounds weird.  We are nice.  And I think Candidates with mentors just have extra lessons and help and training sessions with their mentors, but it depends, of course, on what mentor they have.  I know Alesku (Pilot of mine who has Candidates), at least, just gives his Candidates the extra work he thinks will give them a leg up in the training every Candidate goes through.  But it's really up to the mentor.

4. Is it possible for a dragon with a "seer" ability to have already chosen a pilot candidate even before that candidate enters the program? I have a dragon in mind for this, however they do not really involve themselves in this pilot's life much. They are very high and mighty in personality. Sometimes there are dreams or a soft "suggestion" from the dragon. The dragon views the pilot candidate as her personal property already. As belonging to her. She is a high ranking dragon and likes to get her way, even if it means bitching a few pilots around... >.> Is there anything that would not work about this? I really like the idea and can tweak it too. I've read through all the information a hundred times and backwards. I just want to make sure.
Edit: I also want to add if this prissy, wants her way dragon felt like it, is it possible she could say protect her "property" before the candidate even finished the program.

Ummm, this I will shunt over to Tal, as it seems a little bit complicated.  See, the Dragons are a hive mind, so one Seer Dragon would... I don't know how it would work.   Yeah.  Ask Tal!  ^^

5. I'm very plotty. If I come up with a major plot that will affect a lot of people, does that need approval? I don't mean like tearing down Aedolis or something lol but something that down the road would say affect a whole lot of charries. Do we need appoval before causing some chaos somewhere?

Speaking from experience--I plot a lot--YES, you have to ask about major plots that will affect lots of people!  Ask Tal and/or Draco.  It's just courteous, and they will likely have some ideas too.  It's also nice, speaking as a member, when people approach me and ask for my input in plots.  I can't keep a secret to save my life, but even if I could, I'd still tell people about the stuff I've got planned, to get input and involve them.  You'll find others can contribute a lot to plots, particularly since a lot of us have been around for awhile and know the board well (and may have our own plots that might get gnarly when mixed with yours, come to think of it).

6. Danger to pilots and dragons. Do plots like these need approval as well? I'm not talking about god moding or anything, but plot-wise danger...

If there's danger to characters other than yours, yeah, ask people.  :)

7. A Pilot Candidate with a sickness like say being anemic or someone who needs to get a shot every day for some reason. Would they even be allowed in the program? They show no signs of real weakness and have no problem completing the courses and such. They just have a sickness that can't be cured, etc. Like an ongoing sickness. Say a shot or pill on a daily basis keeps him in top shape.

I don't see why not, if they are otherwise perfectly healthy.  Correct me if I'm wrong, mod/admins.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:31:37 pm »

I've never seen Stargate either xD, but think doors like hatches which slide open and into the wall instead of doors that swing open. Computer in a lot of places. Things like that. For most of the candidates I've played they end up studying a ton, but I'm sure some mess around on the computers and the like as well.

That's a good idea Sam =O! Holy sexy, the idea of having some of the Pilot's teaching classes, I would love to have Danica say teach a sort of History class. She's qualified obviously xD. But yes we do basically improvise classes, there was a new capture the flag thing created recently, though I'm not sure anything has happened with it yet, but it was something for the candidates.

I know that draco plays a meanie, Rina plays a bully, and I have my vampire who might occasionally nibble on other candidates: Delilah. Like Sam said you can always play a bully yourself, make one up and play with yourself, I am guilty of posterbating as well. Normally you can just say, I want my candidate to get beat up can someone oblige? Then someone will be able to work something with you. =D

Yeah you can play him how you want pretty easily as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes, like Sam said most of us will let you know if something steps over some random line. ^_^

Yeah I would say more work, especially depending on the Mentor they have. For instance Danica, who's had a few short times as a Mentor and I am looking to find her new ones, gives her candidates lots of stuff to read, a lot. Each teaching style is different some take a more friendly approach while other are more controlling.

4. Is it possible for a dragon with a "seer" ability to have already chosen a pilot candidate even before that candidate enters the program? I have a dragon in mind for this....

Yeah Tally, Rhi, or Draco would be good people to ask for this. Tally would probably be the best one to get a hold of.

5. I'm very plotty. If I come up with a major plot that will affect a lot of people, does that need approval? I don't mean like tearing down Aedolis or something lol but something that down the road would say affect a whole lot of charries. Do we need approval before causing some chaos somewhere?

I'd say always at least check with the admins if it effects more than your character and whoever else is playing with you. Unless it's out on some random planet in the Open Space section I always check with them just to make sure something isn't already in the pipes of planning or is completely unreasonable.

Double yes on these because these guys are a huge part of the board, very active and very, very plotty. These guys have stuff going on all over the place. So just to make sure nothing crosses wires in the wrong place always check.

There's a chance that could work, if the character can get through the physical training and of course if they have a power that is worth all the trouble. Aedolis is really into precog things, and they are pretty rare, so something like that might be good for that candidate.

And your last question about new candidates, I think normally they do but we don't often play it out. I'd say normally we start them out with their Mentor introducing them to the world. Technically I think Roman might have to see all of them maybe? I'm not positive he's played by Tally so you might want to ask her that one for confirmation.

EDIT: Also this:

I can't really say what the plots are, that would give it away. XP And not even sure I'm gonna do them, lol. I already understand everything is supervised and orderly, I've found a bit of a loophole though. I'm good at plotting around things so maybe what I'm going to do is okay. I've been rpn with Rhi and a bunch of other people for years so I have an understanding about the order of things, no worries there. But I guess as long as people have time to respond and the plot makes sense then it should be okay.

This place is different from SotE in that it's smaller and more tight knit, when you want to do a plot with a Pilot or someone that effects the rest of them in some way you are almost effecting every other person who plays on the board. So loopholes and things like that aren't really always a good thing. You don't have to reveal everything about your plots obviously, if we all knew what would happen the excitement would be poof gone. At least give people a vague idea though of things you're planning, at least the admins.

As Sam said though most people on the board have a good grip on the setting and what would be good for it. So never hesitate to ask more questions or seek advice, we'll give you honest advice and it will help make ideas better. I've had it happen to me several times, and it helps the idea and plots. RotE is a lot different than SotE so just check things before you jump to loopholes and plotting around things. ^_^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal