Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Questions so many questions  (Read 711 times)

Anonymous

Questions so many questions
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:28:43 am »
Didint find an answer after looking around both in other Q and A threads nor in the wiki so i figured id just make a thread.

1. How far have the prosthetics technology come? Can they simply regrow a severed limb or will a person. Given enough money be able to insert mechanical prosthetics like Bionic commando (example: http://surprisejunkies.files.wordpress. ... d-1599.jpg).

2. Is it possible to transform your knowledge and personality into data and then become a walking robot, thingymabob, machine?

3. Conserning beasts and mutant's. Sludge dragons or parasitic beasts are all allowed? to what extent do the guards of Teinar shoot to kill? If a monster looked humanoid in apperance and had the necessary intelligence to understand laws and speak could they become citizens?

4. About bikes (yes i saw the biker gang stuff). How expensive would fuel be and is it possible to attain Nitrous dioxide like boosts of some kind?

5. How fast can these bikes go considering a modern age racing bike can reach  320 km/h with 200 horsepower.

6. Armored plating and uniform, shielded clothing. How far has this technology gone and who can obtain it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Questions so many questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »
I can confidently answer at least two of your questions and mostly answer the others. =)

4.) The fuel wouldn't be too expensive, most of he people involved don't have fantastic jobs or anything like that. Probably the equivalent of gas today really, maybe slightly more expensive. It is also very possible to get hold of boosts.

5.) I haven't really pinpointed how fast exactly they would go...but pretty fast. That might be something we need to figure out but up to this point we haven't figured an exact amount.

Now to the ones I might be wrong on:

I would say since I play the leader of Teinar that 3.) is possible depending on how aggressive the creature is.

1.)I think mostly people do the robotic parts, regrowing limbs, as far as I know have not entered the equation yet.

2.) I'd say yes, plus it sounds like a neat idea.

6.) The last would depend on where you are I think. In Aedolis for Pilots this would be advanced in Teinar not so much. So it would really depend on the character your playing and where they reside, and if they have the money or brains to put it together.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:57:14 pm »
Quote from: "Madkipz"
1. How far have the prosthetics technology come? Can they simply regrow a severed limb or will a person. Given enough money be able to insert mechanical prosthetics like Bionic commando (example: http://surprisejunkies.files.wordpress. ... d-1599.jpg).
Their prosthetic technology is really advanced, especially in Aedolis. :3 But they don't yet have the technology to regrow limbs.

2. Is it possible to transform your knowledge and personality into data and then become a walking robot, thingymabob, machine?
Don't see why not!

3. Conserning beasts and mutant's. Sludge dragons or parasitic beasts are all allowed? to what extent do the guards of Teinar shoot to kill? If a monster looked humanoid in apperance and had the necessary intelligence to understand laws and speak could they become citizens?
Kitsy did good answering that one, since she plays Teinar's leader. x3 I'd just imagine they'd have to be suuuper careful and make it very obvious that they meant no harm.

Sludge dragons...hmm...mig ht have to specify whatcha mean there. There really aren't any non-Aedolian dragons left on Earth. If there are, they would be super rare--and the Aedolian dragons would hunt them down and assimilate them if they discovered them.

4. About bikes (yes i saw the biker gang stuff). How expensive would fuel be and is it possible to attain Nitrous dioxide like boosts of some kind?

5. How fast can these bikes go considering a modern age racing bike can reach  320 km/h with 200 horsepower.
And these are Kitsy's area as she runs Motorail! xD

6. Armored plating and uniform, shielded clothing. How far has this technology gone and who can obtain it?
Kitsy got that one too. xD

These were really good questions! I'll have to add these into the wiki. ^^
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:19:36 pm »
well sludge dragons would be one of these failed Adealian experiements who have adapted to the toxins around the country. Like in your setting description.

that isn’t enough, frightening creatures prowl the land, the result of being exposed to far too much radiation, eating the tainted plants and fish, and drinking from the polluted lakes and rivers—and having adapted to it all in order to survive. However, there is also speculation that some of these creatures are the throwbacks of failed genetic engineering experiments conducted by Aedolis

also a question regards to mutations. If someone got themselves a mutation by venturing outside what would happen?

With regards to becoming a viritual computer. is it a widely acknowledge thing that everyone willing can do? How perfect is the technology? is it something every old person unwilling to die can do (corporate manager unwilling to let his company fall into the hands of his son then becomes digital to continue his leadership?)

or is it a more crazy scientist kind of thing that nobody sane would ever do?

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »
I think the Robot idea would just depend on how desperate someone is. Obviously the technology wouldn't be perfect ect. So I think it would depend on how much money the character has, their connections, and how desperate they are to live on in some way.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »
First of all, hi.  ^^  I hope what I've got to say is helpful.  I've considered something similar to computerized identity myself, and wound up deciding that virtual selfhood would be quite complex, and the idea of identity in that way would be, at best (technological complication aside), philosophically troubling in the extreme.  Think about it: you make a complete computerized copy of you, and you yourself are destroyed in the instant of its making.  Is that you?

Okay, now imagine that you yourself are not destroyed.

Is that you?

Is it a clone?  Is it a 'relative'?  

The fact is, 'identity' as such is a complicated issue... I imagine that alone would make such technology highly unpopular, even were it to become available to more than a few people.  

I guess I've been operating under the 'crazy scientist' assumption... would a computerized version of a person even be treated as that personally, legally?  So many issues.

It would be interesting to have this theoretical idea come up in-game.  Maybe some of our bloggers could talk about it, if, for instance, someone worked on this technology, or a scientist started to make claims about it.  That would be really fun in-game, a way to bring the whole thing up.  But I defer to Rhi and Tal, as always.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:45 pm »
Quote from: "Sam"
First of all, hi.  ^^  I hope what I've got to say is helpful.  I've considered something similar to computerized identity myself, and wound up deciding that virtual selfhood would be quite complex, and the idea of identity in that way would be, at best (technological complication aside), philosophically troubling in the extreme.  Think about it: you make a complete computerized copy of you, and you yourself are destroyed in the instant of its making.  Is that you?

Okay, now imagine that you yourself are not destroyed.

Is that you?

Is it a clone?  Is it a 'relative'?  

The fact is, 'identity' as such is a complicated issue... I imagine that alone would make such technology highly unpopular, even were it to become available to more than a few people.  

I guess I've been operating under the 'crazy scientist' assumption... would a computerized version of a person even be treated as that personally, legally?  So many issues.

It would be interesting to have this theoretical idea come up in-game.  Maybe some of our bloggers could talk about it, if, for instance, someone worked on this technology, or a scientist started to make claims about it.  That would be really fun in-game, a way to bring the whole thing up.  But I defer to Rhi and Tal, as always.

Oo wonderful stuff this might even turn into a conversation. Considering that if your real body is destroyed then yes the program would indeed think that it was you. If you live then the program would still operate under the assumption that it was you. But the second it boots up it stopped being the you that was transfered in and is free to marvel at its own existence.

legally speaking the digital you would be reduced to being considered a computer program unless someone made laws spesifically designed for  self concious Artificial Intelligence. Then youd be a blight on the digital world. A virus that keeps uploading itself everywhere it goes.

Considering the digital world, HOW many terrabytes of space would a person take up? Thats why it hit me that especially if the technology is crude. Then the brain or personality would regress back to childhood. At the very least <,<

If there isnt an A.I system already in place, then where would said A.I live? If you took a copy of the person and inserted the copy into another computer, would that be a clone or would the process of copying itself be impossible? X3 omg this will definately be fun to roleplay even if she died or was scrapped by ignorant humans.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:51:18 am »
It sounds way iiinteresting. O_o It's too early for complete brain processes. It sure as hell sounds like a neat idea =O I hope it works out so I can read it or play in it. :)

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:35:00 am »
legally speaking the digital you would be reduced to being considered a computer program unless someone made laws spesifically designed for  self concious Artificial Intelligence. Then youd be a blight on the digital world. A virus that keeps uploading itself everywhere it goes.

I played this once. XD  On another board.  Didn't get to go through with the plot, but it was quite interesting.  

Considering the digital world, HOW many terrabytes of space would a person take up? Thats why it hit me that especially if the technology is crude. Then the brain or personality would regress back to childhood. At the very least <,<

Actually, it'd be a lot more complex than that.  At present the going theory in cognitive science is functionalism, loosely defined as 'the hardware doesn't matter, it's all software.'  In other words, we can program people into computers, though we'd have to take into account hormonal function and even, probably, proprioception etc., as well as all the stuff in the brain and nervous system.  Childishness would be the least of what could go wrong, dealing with all of that stuff.  o_0

If there isnt an A.I system already in place, then where would said A.I live? If you took a copy of the person and inserted the copy into another computer, would that be a clone or would the process of copying itself be impossible? X3 omg this will definately be fun to roleplay even if she died or was scrapped by ignorant humans.

:)  Yeah!  It would be really interesting.  And there's no reason why copying the program would be impossible, in theory.  It's just data like anything else.  But you would need the appropriate auxiliary programs, wouldn't you? I mean, how does someone 'live in a computer'?  How would you play that?

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:28:44 am »
I played this once. XD On another board. Didn't get to go through with the plot, but it was quite interesting.
Oo a link would be interesting to read the rp.

Actually, it'd be a lot more complex than that. At present the going theory in cognitive science is functionalism, loosely defined as 'the hardware doesn't matter, it's all software.' In other words, we can program people into computers, though we'd have to take into account hormonal function and even, probably, proprioception etc., as well as all the stuff in the brain and nervous system. Childishness would be the least of what could go wrong, dealing with all of that stuff. o_0
Yes. Ive already made her loose 20 years worth of memory, what happens if i take away her ability to be angry X3
'

Yeah! It would be really interesting. And there's no reason why copying the program would be impossible, in theory. It's just data like anything else. But you would need the appropriate auxiliary programs, wouldn't you? I mean, how does someone 'live in a computer'? How would you play that?
Well the easiest is to play on the soul theme. That a concious "me" is present inside the disk layered behind 0's and 1's. Not requireing sleep and playing around with the program's that are installed as if they already knew what was what.

think about it. 24 / 7 activity with no sleep and the same boring programs. if Boredom isnt deleted She would go crazy and copying without her consent would be unethical >,< or atleast thats what i think  

If you turn the thing off you die only to "wake" when the thing is turned on again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal