Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Signed, Sealed, Not Quite Delivered [Rhi]  (Read 6261 times)

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
  • Awards Awarded for participating in the Shiny New Libra event of 2014! You've been with RotE for one year! Go you!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Gender: Nongendered. '...' will serve until the English language comes up with a proper genderless pronoun.
Signed, Sealed, Not Quite Delivered [Rhi]
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »
<Sir, the upper deck of the Valari Hesta has been blown and scrubbed as per your orders. The slave is being transferred to your quarters as we speak.>, the XO announced, antennae forward in a gesture of greeting.

<Excellent. Do we have a clear path to approach?>, Rhevi asked as he returned the greeting, then began swimming toward the docking bay.

<Aye, sir. We lucked out. Orias is on the other side of the system's primary. Hesta-actual has confirmed delivery meets the criteria of an Article-26 non-military delivery of convenience.  Command has given us a three-day window.>

<Received. You have the deck.>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The captain's quarters of the Valari Hesta-class scout ship were, though the ship was barely 150 meters from the curve of the bow to the point of the stern, spacious and lavish, designed not only to accommodate the ship's commanding officer, but also up to four of his slaves, in (relative, in the case of the slaves) comfort. To this end, it was divided into two sections: A flooded captain's area, in which the captain lived in what amounted to a relatively large fishtank, complete with several smaller sea creatures native to Hesta that were as close to candy as Hestari foods really got, aside from the processed fish bars that served as dry-land snacks, and the distinctive blood-red water from the Hestari homeworld of Hesta, water that had gotten its color from pollutants during Hesta's early space age. The area was marked by warning signs that were changed to display in the languages read by slave species, and several dog-sized crabs similar to king crabs scuttled about near it, occasionally entering to clean the tank, or to simply sit inside and breath through their gills.

As for the dry area, it contained four comfortably small rooms, each with its own filtration and oxygen scrubbers, and one medium-sized common area with a food synthesizer, basic dishware, and, as per Rhevi's orders, a small read-only computer (that could be told which videos to display, and what music to play, and given no other instructions). A sign over the door indicated the direction to the restrooms. A shelf area with an automatic dishwasher far too small to fit a Feylini in, and with programming that would not allow it to close with any living organic matter larger than an insect inside of it provided a way to clean the dishware, and a couch just large enough to seat two provided a place to sit, and just soft enough to not harm the occupant (though a fair way from comfortable), sat next to a small table with a tiny lamp for reading by.

Two of the waist-high horseshoe-crab-like beings which seemed to function as the Hestari answer to guard dogs and one large Hestari female of the same subspecies and tribe as Rhevi, distinguishable from him mainly by the fact that she was a good two feet shorter than him, stood guard near the airlock to the captain's section, but no other guards were in or near the room. The inhibitor collars Hestari fitted their vertebrate slaves with were designed to deter escape by activating the pain centers of the slave if he or she were to set foot in an area of the ship they were not permitted to be in. This was the (excruciating) warning. After six minutes, the collar would send a 'kill' signal to the brain, forcing the brain stem to shut down and killing the host, a process explained ( and often demonstrated) to slaves shortly after purchase. The collar also served to identify the owner of the slaves, serving in place of a brand alongside a much less obvious subdermal microchip.

Next to the computer was a small holoplayer, its disk set to display the appearance and important details of Sarah, including her temperament and a list of things never to say to her or do in her presence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah's departure had been, suffice it to say, sudden. Between informing Ari of her intentions, receiving his reply, packing, and creating a ship to leave on (a much smaller, much faster fighter than the last time she'd left, this one armed to the proverbial bone), less than one human minute had passed, during which the only progress she'd made on the projects she had been working on had been to write notes in the nearest terminals to each one explaining what had been done, what needed to be done, and where to find hastily (yet still expertly) crafted parts where needed, and detailed installation instructions. By the time Sarah realised she'd left the email open, she was already plotting the coordinates for the second of a total of four warps.

At the time she'd left, the expected arrival time of Ranah's 'gift' had been three days out, with no plans to forward it due to her not having read the post script. It was now two days after the intended delivery date.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:22:10 pm by GIR »
Please do not steal the waffle-flavor waffles or the bacon soap. Also, you gonna make buscuits?

-------------------------------------------------------

Imperial Knight Eva von Draconis
Pirate Captain Drake Morgan
Imperial Knight-Commander Heavy Wilhelm von Tartarus
Mechanic Sarah
Multi-Role AI Trotzige Schwert vonPunane Tolm [WIP]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They've got waffle in 'em!
I'm gonna sing the doom song!
Yes. Wait a minute... No.
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes...
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Signed, Sealed, Not Quite Delivered [Rhi]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:39:49 pm »
Out of the frying pan and into the fryer.

That aptly described Sitara's current situation.

She supposed she should feel lucky, that she didn't wind up in Rividean claws, but now she was on some crab people ship! And she didn't know what the fuck was going on! Maybe this was better? But maybe it was worse! Maybe they were going to eat her! But then again, so too did Rivideans eat Feylini.

So basically, it all boiled down to one truth: she was so screwed and she hated everything.

Sitara paced her room, having not sat still since she arrived. She was a bundle of nervous, pent-up energy with no outlet for it all, and since wailing and crying had never been in her nature, she poured all her fear out in the form of aggression.

Which, in Sitara's case, meant that once pacing became boring, she was soon kicking the couch, then yanking the cushions off of it and chucking them one at a time at those stupid giant dog crab monster things!

"Is ANYBODY gonna tell me WHAT THE FUCK is going on?!" she yelled, and when she ran out of cushions, she made her way to the dishwasher, opening it and slamming it hard enough to rattle its insides. "Gods fucking dammit! Just lemme go! This is so stupid! Stupid ugly crab monsters, I swear to gods, if you perv on me I'll bite your fucking antennae off!"
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
  • Awards Awarded for participating in the Shiny New Libra event of 2014! You've been with RotE for one year! Go you!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Gender: Nongendered. '...' will serve until the English language comes up with a proper genderless pronoun.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 07:02:00 pm »
<I wouldn't provoke the Valari Hesta if I were you.>, the Hestari guard almost boredly warned the raging rabbit, <They're not intelligent enough to be merciful. Also, you'll note you were not provided with any scrubbing pads or dish stones. If you break that machine, your dishes won't be washed. At all.>, she continued, tempted to see if the Feylini would make good on her threat. An announcement on the ship's loudspeakers, however, killed the idea in its tracks.

"Attention all hands: Fleet Hunter Rhevi Varrah is aboard. Schoolmaster* Vahri Sehnah stands relieved.". The announcement, its voice mechanical, first spoke in Hestari (Northern Sea dialect), then translated it to two other Hestari dialects before a mispronounced and somewhat literal translation into Feylini, with the word 'hands' replaced by 'slaves' in each of the translations**.

<Behave yourself, smeerp. I hear the Fleet Hunter's a real hardass. And a huge perv. Word is, he feels his slaves up every hour, on the hour.>, the guard mocked, her lower mouth-plate lowering just enough to reveal the upper one in an expression of mockery. Of course, it wasn't really true, and she'd owe Rhevi some serious favors if he even agreed to go along with it, but the guard, much like the Feylini she was addressing, was young and somewhat brash. The mature, experienced soldiers tended to be in the assault teams and instructor corps if they weren't running the ship. If the slave didn't know enough to know Hestari couldn't mate with her kind if they wanted to, well, she probably wouldn't know the personalities of each of the thousands of officers in the Hestari military.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Make the dive as soon as the inertial dampeners are active. We're on a tight schedule here, and I don't want to have to try for another meet.>, Rhevi ordered as soon as he'd gone through the formalities of boarding the vessel, then swam to the airlock separating the blown deck of the ship from the flooded rest of it, a single female of the Sevarik*** subspecies, a foot taller than him, and with a head resembling that of a hammerhead shark rather than a great white, following behind him. Once the pair had transitioned to the upper deck and gone through decontamination, Rhevi headed straight for the captain's quarters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Officer on deck.>, Rhevi stated as he entered the room, the Sevarik female automatically going to her room in the slave quarters without any apparent orders.

<Received, Sir. The new acquisition has been making a mess and shouting, sir, but has done nothing else of note. It is this soldier's belief that the new acquisition has not looked over the information given.>, the guard publicly reported. <Sir, if I may, I told the slave you were a major hardass, and that you were a perv. She made a threat, so I figured I'd scare her a bit. If I may impose... Any chance I could owe you big to play along, sir?>, she added privately. Only to put her hands behind her back in an expression of fear when Rhevi bared his teeth in what might have been mistaken for a grin if not for the aggressive posture.

<We'll talk about your lack of discipline later, Soldier.>, he told her privately, <For now, keep your thoughts to deep waters. It's bad enough we're basically delivering a slave to a former slave. Let's not give her any ideas that might reach the wrong ears. As to the hardass routine, I might be able to channel some semblance of my inner drill instructor for a time. My sister informs me this one strays shallow with her words. She may not live long if she doesn't learn at least some restraint.>. Publicly, <Very well. Leave us.>

<Yes, Sir.>, the guard replied, stepping out of the room with the two Valari Hesta**** in tow.

Rhevi waited several moments before turning to face the Feylini, reviewing security footage on his arm terminal as he waited. <You know, not all slaves are provided a couch to sit on. In fact, on a ship of this class, typically, slaves do not sit. Perhaps you should treat the furnishings with some respect.>, He admonished, his 'tone' sharper than he'd usually use, <Now, if you have any interest in answers, you'll pick up this mess you made, then sit down like a civilised, intelligent being.>, he stated, his 'tone' leaving little room for doubt that it was an order from a male used to being obeyed. As the Sevarik female started to leave her room to help, Rhevi dismissed her with a gesture, the female making no response as she went back into the room.

[Notes:

*A Hestari military rank equivalent to a Commander. The 'School' is 'school' as one of the terms for a group of sharks, not 'school' as in the educational institution.

**Hestari of different subspecies generally do not serve on the same ships, with the exception of the Sevarik and Sevarik Hesta subspecies, both of which are typically slaves to the other subspecies.

***The Sevarik subspecies is highly intelligent and physically strong, but does not possess self-awareness. They are often enslaved and used in areas that require intelligence, but not free thought, including types of work which would be boring and repetitive, but still require high precision and intelligence.

****The horseshoe-crab-like creatures]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:02:05 am by GIR »
Please do not steal the waffle-flavor waffles or the bacon soap. Also, you gonna make buscuits?

Mechanic Sarah
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes...
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:47:46 pm »
Euuugh...

Seriously. These things were hideous. Sitara glowered at her guard, whose gender she couldn't begin to guess. Male? Female? Non-binary? Both? She didn't know how that worked for crab-bug-monster people, she just knew their mouths freaked her out.

As did everything else about them.

"Oh, gross, really? What the hell's with you primitive beasts, anyway? Rivideans, crab people--are all extraterrestrial males just giant balls of sleaze and rape?!" Sitara growled, and gave the dishwasher another kick before setting her hands on her hips, one ear twitching along with her left eye. "I'd like to see the fucker try. I'll gnaw his fucking arm off! I've eaten crab before, you know that? Tastes delicious! All that's missing is butter and garlic!"

Soon enough, another one of the things entered, a huge one, but Sitara glared right at him as the guard did her report. Ah. So that must be Captain Hardass Badtouch. Her glare intensified and she snorted at the news that she hadn't read the information. Nope. She hadn't. Hadn't bothered. Wasn't interested. She just wanted out of here.

Despite her bluster, though, she couldn't help the chill that went down her spine unbidden when he bid the other to leave them. Alone. She may have tried to play it off with a lot of bullshit and bold threats, but she was afraid--terrified. She didn't want to be eaten! Or felt up. Did these crab people even have the right...parts? Oh gods. And their mouths. Shit. She didn't want those anywhere near any part of her. Imagine kissing those. Could they kiss?

Her heart beat faster, her palms going sweaty, her face going pale.

Yeah, she was so not about private times with Captain Hardass Badtouch.

"Nah, I'd prefer to stay standing Mister Badtouch, thanks!" she blurted, and moved so that the couch was between she and him. Stay on her feet so she could spring out of the way if he decided to get weird. Weirder. These people were already weird. She was never going to get used to the way they spoke--super creepy, eugh. "Just tell me what the fuck's going on and who you are! You with the Rividean assholes?"

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »
The guard merely nodded jovially at the bluster, the Hestari equivalent of a laugh, <You won't. Not if you like having teeth that aren't broken and lips that aren't bleeding. It'd be like biting titanium wrapped in especially sharp gritpaper.>, she answered, the mocking expression still on her face.

Just before she left the room, the guard took a moment to shoot the Feylini another mocking 'smile'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhevi's expression did not change as he waited through the Feylini's antics and rudeness. Bluster from a scared being was all it was, an impression confirmed by the slight change in the temperature of her face as the blood drained from it in fear.

<Varrah. Fleet Hunter. 362987-76321Rhenik-Sahlu.>, he simply stated when she'd finished her remarks. As he waited for her to obey his command, Rhevi walked over to the food synthesizer and had it make three fish bars, salt-and-kashal-blubber flavor, and one snack bar made of salted kelp, a favorite among some of the herbivorous slaves, then walked back to the hatch to the airlock of the captain's area. Instead of going in, however, he simply stood where the guard had been and began eating, watching Sitara mutely as he did. When he finished one of the bars, he went back to checking his wrist terminal, making sure to look up every so often to remind the girl that he hadn't forgotten her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as he'd verified that the ship was under way, set up a loop for the security cameras, double-checked the plans, and written a message to his sister updating her on the situation, Rhevi pressed a button on his wrist terminal. As soon as he did, the hammerhead-headed Sevarik female, Rhevi's slave, emerged from her room, then went to stand guard by the door to the captain's area. <Sevarik. Notify me the moment when the Feylini wishes to cooperate. If she gets too unruly, you may administer discipline and rewards as you see fit.>, he ordered publicly, handing her the remaining fish bars and kelp bar before going into the captain's area, leaving the wall facing the slave quarters transparent as he swam in lazy circles. <One more thing. Feylini, we surface in two of your hours. Once we do, you'll immediately be transferred to another ship, with no access to any information except your destination. If you want to know what's going on so badly, and if you want to survive where you're going, you'll cooperate.>, he added after a glance at his work terminal.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:06:54 pm by GIR »

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »
As soon as the leader left, Sitara grabbed the ends of her ears and threw her head back with an exasperated scream. She didn't understand what anything meant that that creep had just said! Yet he'd said it like that answered her questions precisely--and none of it had been particularly reassuring! And then he acted like she was being crazy and awful for freaking out when they were the ones freaking her out!

She took deep breaths when she was done screaming out her lungs and clawed her hands over her face in frustration--and to hide the tears pricking at the edges of her vision. Despite all her aggression and bluster, she knew she didn't have a chance against these brutes. All she knew was she had gone from one terrifying captor to the next, that her fate was uncertain and out of her hands--and she was scared to death. How alike the Rivideans were these creatures? Were they going to eat her? Rape her? Use her as a test subject? Who knew! But she wasn't stupid enough to believe being CIVIL was going to get her anywhere! Yes, let's be civil while they prepare a boiling pot to cook her in, lobster style!

And yet his parting words were the nail in the coffin--as well as delivering some vital information. If she didn't cooperate, she wouldn't get answers. And more importantly...

She was being transferred to another ship?!

It wasn't in her nature to be meek and submissive. But a new flash of fear and uncertainty struck her at those words, and she swallowed hard past the lump in her throat. She had to calm down and think. And after having a good scream, after getting that out of her system...maybe she would be less inclined to scream at them.

She tugged at her ears. "Okay. Look. Fine. Alright. I'll cooperate, just...what do you want from me? What's good enough cooperation for you?"

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:53:00 pm »
As the Feylini screamed in frustration, the Sevarik stood and watched. It was simply one of many reactions new slaves had, in the Sevarik's experience, and it was typically a short-lived reaction which resolved itself when the slave was either tired of screaming, or when reason prevailed and the slave realised there was no point in resisting. In the cases where such actions didn't resolve themselves, corporal punishment typically resolved the situation, though, in this case, the Sevarik saw no need for such action just yet. The Feylini would likely tire herself out and need to be awoken, but that action would happen later. For the moment, the Sevarik was content to eat one of the remaining fish bars and watch.

The face clawing would have sparked a warning growl from the Sevarik had it not been for what followed. The awaited moment that reason won out. As the Sevarik approached the Feylini, she sent a telepathic message to her master, informing him of the slave's apparent change in heart word-for-word, then set the remaining fish bar and the kelp bar on the small table before returning to her post at the hatch to the captain's area to resume her supervision.

<Excellent.>, Rhevi answered, speaking privately to Sitara as he swam to the transparent wall, then allowed himself to sink to the floor in his 'land' configuration, facing Sitara, <A good start would be to clean the mess you made earlier, and review the information on the holoplayer disk. That will tell you who you will eventually be dealing with. As a show of good faith, I will tell you that the ship you are being transferred to will bring you to her, and she is neither Rividean nor connected with them. It would be... excruciatingly unwise... to imply otherwise in her presence. The two snack bars my slave has set on the table are for you. One is made of various fish that, to my knowledge, are not toxic to your kind, assuming your kind share the same dietary tolerances as humans, the other is kelp. Both are salty, so, after you finish cleaning, feel free to use the synthesizer to make something more to your taste. Continue to be cooperative, and you will know everything I do about our plans for you long before we surface.>, he explained, arms crossed in an attempt at the body language he'd seen humans use to project strength during negotiations.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:35:13 pm »
Not a Rividean ship?

And it was a "she" that she was being transferred to?

Sitara blinked at the news, but she didn't relax. She wasn't out of the fryer yet. This mystery woman could be just as bad as any Rividean, for all she knew, and the vagueness around it all was excruciating.

But. Cooperation. Cooperation meant information. She could suck it up for now.

She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and nodded. "Alright," she said, and she walked around to gather up the cushions she'd tossed about, and set them neatly on the couch as her captor spoke. Most of it was stuff she wasn't interested in. Like food. Oh, she was hungry, probably; she hadn't eaten in over a day. But she was so tight and sick with nerves she had no appetite, and something fishy and salty didn't sound particularly good right then.

So, ignoring the bars, she instead went to the holoplayer and turned it on.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »
Most of the information on the holodisk was fairly standard species information, information on Sarah's appearance, including a full-color, three-dimensional image of her in her usual overalls, all but the last four feet of her tail wrapped around her waist in such a fashion as to still allow her to strike quickly, but still keep the appendage out of her way. Barely out of 'frame' in the hologram was part of a ship's sublight engine, dismantled, over which Sarah was bent, apparently in the middle of inspecting.

Along with the image, the holoplayer displayed general notes about her short temper in simply-bordered 'pages', including a warning not to confuse her with a Rividean or a dragon (the latter gleaned from emails sent to Ranah), and specifying that, while carnivorous, Sarah tended to confine her hunting to non-humanoid creatures with humans as the (relatively rare) sole exception, and generally preferred birds, fish, cephalopods, and aquatic mammals to anything with fur. Of note, however, was an entire 'page' dedicated to as much of her history as a slave as Rhevi had been able to dig up, including her former 'name', with a warning at the bottom that Sarah did not like talking about any of it without a good reason.

<When you have finished looking through the information on that holodisk, inform my slave. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. If you're wondering why I'm not telling you to tell me directly,>, Rhevi said, soundlessly rapping on the transparent wall, <I can't actually hear you. Everything you're saying to me is being relayed to me word-for-word by my slave. One of the many uses of the Sevarik subspecies.>, he explained, <If you're thirsty, any of the taps on this deck will provide purified water.>.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 10:43:48 pm »
...Oh great. So she was going from a Rividean to some sort of dinosaur monster? From one sharp-toothed lizard to another, FANTASTIC.

Not feeling very reassured, especially since her species didn't look so different from a human, Sitara gave an uneasy look over at what she assumed was the creature's slave. Since the beast was the only other thing in the room with her and all. This was so weird, using some odd creature like a telephone, basically!

"Uhhhh...so...I'm done?  And I have a shitton of questions for your master person so I hope he's ready," she said, as she turned and marched for one of the taps and drank straight from it. She'd trust his word that they were fine; she supposed if they were contaminated, it might not be such a bad thing, since she might just get eaten by that dragon-dinosaur-not-a-Rividean anyway!

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:27:40 pm »
As the Feylini went through the information on the holodisk, Rhevi took the time to do some paperwork, keeping an eye on Sitara as he did via a camera mounted and connected to the terminal in the captain's area for just such a purpose, and noting that she seemed no more at ease after going through the info than she had been before.

As soon as Sitara's words had been relayed to him, Rhevi locked the terminal, then exited the captain's area, a process taking several seconds as the decontamination section of it thoroughly rinsed the toxic water from within the tank off of him.

<Excellent. To answer perhaps the most pressing one, Sarah won't mistake you for a human. Like touch with my species and sight to humans, scent is the most important and most developed sense to her species, and your species has a different scent than humans even to my antennae. She also won't eat you partly because my sister and I have asked her not to, and partly because you're much more familiar with Jeth than she is, and you acting as her guide is how you will earn your freedom, a concept she understands very well, as it was not so long ago, to my kind, at least, that she earned hers.>, he explained privately as he walked over to the couch and stood near it, waiting for her to finish drinking, <Have a seat and fire away. We should have plenty of time to answer your questions before the transfer.>, he continued, adding, <By the way, the name's Rhevi. Fleet Hunter Varrah if you wish to address me formally.> as an afterthought.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:12:40 am »
Sitara was done with sitting. She wanted to pace some more, feeling restless and ansty and even more so now that he had mentioned Jeth and her being a guide to that place?! A guide! Oh no. Oh HELL no! Just the idea filled her with palatable dread, and made the walls around her feel all the more oppressive.

But she wanted answers, and she knew she wouldn't get them if she didn't sit her ass down and play the good girl for now.

Ears twitching, muscles tense with nerves, she wiped water from her lips and trudged over to the couch, taking a seat on the edge as though perched to flee at a moment's notice. She crossed one leg over the other, but her foot bounced restlessly as she looked up at her strange, very alien captor.

"Okay, so, not a question but like first thing's first, there is no fucking way in hell I'm going back to Jeth," she said. "Just to clear that up. 'Cause I ain't being a guide. Not there. Fuck no. She can eat me or whatever but that place's like deathrape central like is she CRAZY?"

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 05:52:27 am »
<That depends entirely on your definition of crazy>, Rhevi replied, with slight amusement in his 'tone', <But I guarantee that wherever she is will be the safest place on the planet for you so long as you keep your words and actions deep. Sarah may be brash, headstrong, and have a temper, but she's also faster, tougher, and smarter than she looks, and her command of magic is greater than many human mages I've fought. She knows, more or less, what she's doing, and, best for you, she intends to free your people. Allowing you to be captured or killed would be slightly counterproductive to that end.>

<As for you not going back to Jeth, well, you will if you want to be free again. You don't even have to stay when you're done. My sister has seen to it that your contract includes a clause which would require Sarah to build you reliable transport to any place of your choosing once you've earned your freedom, and to pilot you there if you do not have the skills necessary. >, Rhevi continued, <There is one Rividean I've heard about who would be bold enough to make repeated attempts to capture you, but I'm told his tastes run... curvier. I highly doubt you would be worth the trouble to him. Sarah will see to that.>

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 10:41:05 am »
"...Wait, hold up," Sitara said, holding up her hands. "Back up. This lizard lady wants to free my people? Like...from the Rivideans? Like...wait...why?"

She stared at the crab man, blue eyes wide. "Like, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, don't get me wrong, that's awesome! Yay, free my people from the awful slaughterbeasts, nice! But like...correct me if I'm wrong here but Sarah is like...one person...? And Jeth is like...a planet. Occupied by sociopathic murdermonsters. Lots of them."

She scratched nervously at an ear. "She might be like powerful and stuff, but um...we're gonna like die if we go back."

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:55:37 am »
<She was once a slave herself. Of course she'd want to free any other slaves she heard of. An entire civilisation being kept as slaves is something you couldn't stop her from putting an end to if you wanted to, unless she actually respected you enough to listen.>, Rhevi answered, <For her, it's more about stopping the Rivideans than helping your people. Freeing your people happens to be the next best thing to trying to stop a planet she doesn't know the location of.>

<In the time it took you to say that, Sarah could have built herself a tank from the ground up, if she knows how to build one.>, Rhevi explained, <And she's smart. She won't try to take over the entire planet at once. She'll set up a camp somewhere, one that's easy to hide, but provides everything possible that the two of you will need, and, if she remembers what she learned in her days on Faren, she'll make small, precise strikes, and disrupt their chain of command whenever the opportunity presents itself. Not to mention she's worked on enough ships' weapons to build her own. For someone like her, it would be child's play to convert them into point defenses and artillery if the need arises, and such weapons, the way she'd build them, would be highly useful for ambushes. As for enemy weapons and defenses, she needs only to take a machine apart once to know how to not only build it, but also how to destroy or disable it. At a distance, if it isn't immune to magic.> He continued.

<On a side note, I wouldn't advise you calling her a lizard to her face, though, to be fair, it's probably one of the less offensive things she's been called by people who don't know her species.>

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
It all sounded way too good to be true, and Sitara couldn't help feeling...well, skeptical was a massive understatement. Skeptical, and panicked. Oh god, this stupid lizard lady was going to get her killed, she just knew it! She desperately didn't want to go back to Jeth now that she was off that doomed planet! She and her little group had thought they were being careful...

And then they'd been caught. Caught, and sold on the slave block. Sitara was damned lucky she'd been bought by these fellows instead. Her friends? Not so lucky.

Her stomach twisted, sharp and sudden, at the thought--a thought she hadn't allowed herself to think until now. No, prior to this, she'd had her own fate to worry about, a fate she figured she'd share with them, but somehow she'd been lucky. Her friends...oh gods...

Sitara paled, looking suddenly ill, and swallowed hard. Why had she been the lucky one, and not them? Why had she been chosen? It could have been any of them. But they were still there, probably in Rividea, and--she didn't want to think of the rest. She bit her lip, her throat and chest tightening with emotion, but she took a deep breath and held it back. Every instinct screamed at her, told her this was madness, that there was no hope for those who had been taken, that they were probably dead by now. But what if they weren't? What if they were there being...being tortured and...

She tugged at the ends of her ears, shoulders hunching. "You...you really think she's got a shot?" she asked, voice oddly small.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
<If I didn't, I would never have allowed my sister to send her the coordinates, nor would I have needed to stop her. She's worked with rebels before, on Faren. She knows her way around guerrilla warfare.>, Rhevi replied, <You'll have all the proof you need once you get there, though you could also ask her employer. It's his ship you'll be going on. Fair warning: Draw your line in the sand early. Sarah tells me he's a lecher, but she also informs me he's no rapist. He's a persistent ass, according to her, but he'll keep his hands off until you say otherwise. I'll put my own warning in as well.>, he continued.

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »
Sitara pulled a face at that. Oh, she'd dealt with her share of lechers, all right, and they'd learned to back off or get their teeth busted. It still didn't mean she was thrilled at the idea of being stuck on a ship with one, in the middle of freakin' space.

"Great," she said with a roll of her eyes. "He a lizard person too? What is it with lizard people and their fuckin' attraction to us long-ears--uh, Feylini." She grimaced, accidentally calling herself by the Rividean nickname for her people. Which she had started to do ironically, and which had been a big mistake because it had started to become sincere.

Offline GIR

• RotE Cultist
  • 1695 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GIR
  • The Cookie of Destiny
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 02:53:53 pm »
<Human, by all accounts. Sarah's only contact with her own kind has been in the form the others the slavers who stole her from a ship's hatchery raised with her. Strange, considering her hatred of humans, but she probably sees something different in him. Probably helps that he doesn't try to cheat her, and seems to be content to leave her to her passion.>, Rhevi responded, <As to what the Rivideans see in your kind, I can't really answer that. I'll admit humanoids have a certain functional beauty to them, and the intelligent ones can be charming, but, really, I fail to see what's so attractive about them. Then again, your species and mine aren't really compatible in that way, so there's that. As for Sarah, well, I don't think she's ever been attracted to anyone.>

Mechanic Sarah
It's got chicken legs!
I had a coupon!
best Tsundere ever

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 01:17:16 am »
Sitara cocked her head curiously, brow scrunching up. So the lizard woman's employer was...human? There was something kind of comforting in that, because if she was employed by a human, that meant she hadn't eaten him, and if she hadn't eaten a human--when human was on the menu for her--then it surely meant she was less likely to eat her. Maybe Sitara's logic was a little weird, but it made sense to her! She relaxed, just a little, her shoulders not quite so hitched up around her ears.

Maybe...maybe this wasn't such a raw deal after all.

Except for the part where she still had to go back to Jeth.

As much as she wanted to help her friends, if she could, goddammit she was terrified of the idea. Gods, she was a coward.

"Well, huh. That makes the both of us, then," Sitara said, and flopped back against the couch cushions. Really, she'd been so focused on not dying that she'd never really thought about whether or not she had pantsfeelings for anyone. Not dying was still number one on her priority list. Probably would be for a long, long time.

"So, okay, another question. Why me? Like...why'd you chose me? Like was I just lucky, like was it random and it could have been anyone? Or was there like a reason?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal