Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Just a Distraction [Goblin!]  (Read 1930 times)

Marakai2.0

Re: Just a Distraction [Goblin!]
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 03:30:47 pm »
"Yes. This time, as in I can think of no possible reason why I wouldn't want to go to the cafeteria again. Unless you, say, decide to eat half the room, or some other such thing." Garza grinned down at her, one eye winking.

"Yes. Let's---?"

The next thing he knew, he was being pulled into line, chuckling as he followed after her. "Easy, there, Tink. I'm not going to run away." His tone held a hint of a laugh in the making. When they reached the back of the line, he stood behind her, and already caught himself looking at her as she turned to ask him about food.

"Mmm....honestly, no. I'll eat nearly anything that's put in front of me, though I've heard that food outside the ATC is much better than what is served here." A second too late, he realized that sounded as if he'd never had - or couldn't remember having - anything else. Too late to take it back, but perhaps he could make a recovery.

"What about you? Is there a culinary delicacy you have in mind?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 05:53:14 pm »
Joelle sighed heavily letting her lips flutter at his answer. "Woof! I hear you. It's been so long I've been in here I hardly remember what real food tastes like." She pouted as her shoulders slumped sadly. Her low mood lasted only for a second though as she quickly bounced back at the thought of her favorite things.

"Oh there's too many to say! Coreos are definitely a favorite but then there's chocolate and salt and vinegar chips and oo oo and butterscotch pudding! That stuff is more addictive than any drug. I could eat a tub full and still want more." Joelle whined softly as she rubbed her stomach. "Definitely miss that the most."

As the line moved up and they were finally reaching the food, the Candidate perused her choices briefly before piling her tray up with whatever least healthy things she could get on it. Not a single vegetable was in sight and only the smallest piece of obligatory fruit she could find ended up on it. She went for the watered down juice in place water itself and two bowls of the "mystery" dessert that at one time probably still was not really all that edible. She was completely in the zone as everything was carefully balanced and piled onto the tray in a sizeable mountain of food.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:02 am »
Been in here so long....?

"Question...just how long have you been here? I've not seen you in the Stage 4, or even Stage 3 floors, and you appear too old to be a Stage 1." He blinked one time, and tilted his head. "Also, following along those lines, how old are you?"

He'd asked these questions whilst watching her build her mountain of foodstuffs, and as he observed his eyes flicked from that tray to her stomach. She's so small...where does it all go? he wondered with some amusement, noting that the pile of "edibles" was larger even than what he would usually eat.

In fact, by the time his tray was filled, it wasn't quite two-thirds as full as hers appeared, and full of a healthier selection.

"Hmm. I may need to confiscate some of yours, and replace it with some of mine. It's a wonder how you manage to stay healthy, eating like that." As he said this, the smile was plain on his face, his statement meant as a joke despite his phrasing.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:58 pm »
She blushed and winced at his questions. It was not exactly a matter of pride for her that she still had yet to graduate to the next stage. "That would be because I've been in Stage 2 for three and a half years now," Joelle informed him quietly. More cheerfully she added though, "but that should be changing real soon!"

'One way or another," her mind chimed in unhelpfully.

"Now though didn't anyone ever tell you you're not suppposed to ask a lady her age? Tsk,tsk," she teased. "Don't worry though, I'm seventeen...definit ely no Gracie," she laughed warmly.

His joke regarding her food mountain though did earn him a bit of the side eye. Surreptitiously Joelle slid her tray a bit more to the left to keep it out of his reach just in case he decided to make good on his joke. Food was sacred and one did not simply come between Joelle Tinker and a meal if one wishes to keeps one's hand.

"You're a Stage 4 though right?" She asked while leading him to a table where they could sit a bit to themselves. Joelle was completely oblivious though to the looks the pair were earning as they walked past. A certain purple-haired Candidate even went so far as to gape openly st the scene.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 05:05:31 pm »
Garza couldn't help but hear the subconscious addition to her words, and winced right along with her. Being TRIM'd was drilled into every candidate as their greatest singular nightmare, the consequence of failure to succeed their candidacy and graduate to become a Pilot.

For some time, since he'd gone on to Stage 4, he'd feared it as well. Alot of headway had been made in bringing his telepathy to heel, but he still had a ways to go.

"Well...if you're having problems...I'm always available to help. I had to fight my way through Stage 2 for a year, so I have an idea of what you're dealing with."

When she revealed her age, Garza sighed in relief - he should have realized as soon as she said she'd been in Stage 2 for over three years, but hearing the actual number eased a troublesome itch in his head. He didn't want to feel like a creep for feeling some attraction towards a girl who'd, say, began 'developing' early in her life.

Garza watched with an amused sort of face as she slid her tray a bit further away from him, as if thinking he'd planned to make good on his joke. "Never fear, Tink. Guessing by how you felt about your Coreo's before, I somehow feel as if truly messing with your food would be less than wise." He winked one large eye at her and grinned, his slightly pointed teeth just visible. "And...yeah, I'm in Stage 4. Have been for...just a little over four years, actually."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »
"Thank you," she commented hesitantly. His offer to help left her feeling both warm and fuzzy inside as well as troubled and worried. Joelle knew that she was on her last chance here. Enough progress had been made to scrape by in the past but this was now or never. She did her best to remain upbeat even as she felt the pressure of her future weighing heavy on her shoulders. There was no reason to let him see that. "I think I would like that," she continued softly and shyly, unable to look him in the face.

Her brow twitched at the joking threat to her food continued and she pretended to threaten him with her fork. "No man has survived coming between a Tinker and her food. I don't recommend testing it unless you like living with only one hand." Joelle stuck out her tongue an crinkled her nose in jest before popping a bite of food into her mouth and chewing quickly.

"Four years ain't so bad. Won't be long before you're out of here though. That must be so exciting! Are you looking forward to earning your own dragon?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
Garza noted the soft, hesitant tone she used in thanking him, and at first could only tilt a brow in response. Something troubled her, and he knew not what...he realized quickly that none of the relevant thoughts she may have been having were reaching him.

Something she wanted to hide, perhaps? He didn't know, and he couldn't bring himself to ask her, if the matter was private. He didn't know her well enough, and couldn't assume she would be comfortable with him asking.

"Well. Whenever you need help with something, you need only ask. I'm not hard to find." He smiled lightly, and returned his attention to his food for the moment, as he listened to her speak.

"Oh? And you think you can take my hand with that tiny utensil?" He grinned, and lifted his own fork, clenching his fist around it in an iron grip. When he released it, it had a noticeable bend along its length. "Well. Mayhap I have less to fear than I had thought," he joked.

When she mentioned his eventual graduation, he sighed. "I would be excited, were it the simple matter of time. The reason I'm still here, and not moved on to Stage 5, is laughable. I still can't control my telepathy...and I've been a candidate for over seven years, now."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »
Joelle squinted at the bent fork with pursed lips but made no comment on it. She would have to find a stronger implant of doom and protection for her precious food mountain. Instead she was more focused on his graduation-related moodiness. Her eyes rolled in irritation as she cocked a brow at him.

"Hush! That's like twice the time I've been here and I'm still just Stage 2. You're much further advanced than I am. Besides Stage 4 is for learning that kind of control. At this point they've enough effort in you that there's no way they'd try to get rid of you. If anything you probably just have to relax to see the picture clearer. Live a little! Eat some junk food!" She pointed her spoonful of mystery dessert at him to accentuate her point. "You have nothing to fear, believe me I know these things," she informed him confidently.

Inside though she was beating her own self up. If anyone was at risk of being pulled from Candyland it was the basket case on Stage 2 still. 'I'm the one voted most unlikely to still be here in six weeks. Dust bunnies have better odds than that. At least I finally got to talk to him though. Never going to forget this.'

Despite her darker thoughts, Joelle was smiling and laughing as she teased Garza. "So do you have like a range you can hear up to? I've always heard strong telepaths were like super good at that kind of stuff. Like hearing across compounds and picking at you know specific people."

Marakai2.0

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 04:25:13 pm »
At the word 'Hush!' Garza turned to look at her, blinking slightly while she explained her reasoning to him. As she went on, he smiled slightly, one edge of his mouth curling in a smirk. As she gestured toward her food, that smirk only grew, and he had to fight the temptation to do just as she said, and steal a forkfull. Though idly he thought about the idea of having fork tines forcibly inserted into his hand....

...yeah, probably not the best course of action.

He was about to respond, though, when her thoughts again reached him. He found himself listening to those, instead, and completely missed her verbal words.

Despite her smile and her teasing, he reached toward her face, seizing her chin gently between his thumb and forefinger.

"Hey, whoa. Let's stop and discuss what's in your head, first. If you're going to try and build me up, don't turn around and tear yourself down. I told you, I will help you." Despite the fairly harsh tone to his voice, he ended his sentence with a smile.

"Don't forget, I can hear most everything you think about. Your surface thoughts might as well come through an intercom. I don't mean to be rude...but you don't need to be thinking about those things." Only then did he release her chin, and focused on straightening his fork so he could resume eating.

After a single bite, though, he gave her a sidelong glance, and spoke again. "And....I'm glad I got to speak with you, as well. But I've no intention of letting that stop anytime soon."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 06:29:19 pm »
The Candidate completely froze and clammed up at the sudden, unexpected touch. It was warm and gentle, so unlike his display of strength against the poor defenders spoon. Her eyes stared deeply into his own as she listened intently to what he had to say. She was not keen on his sudden delving into psychoanalysing her but given how pathetic she was at shielding her thoughts, she could not completely blame him. Still though, knowing did nothing for her when her thoughts were still as free as the wind.

'I can't help my thoughts any more than you can help hearing them,' she mused, knowing he would still be able to hear. 'I'll try to quiet them more of you though. My apologies.'

Joelle sighed a bit shakily when his touched receded again and she was left to recompose herself. His next words though caused her cheeks to burn fiercely. Her heart fluttered to know he enjoyed her company despite all her constant blunders. "Thank you for your kind words and offers. I will do my best to not disappoint you then." She smiled softly to herself even as she played with the food on her plate.

More seriously she continued, "I likely will still be quite busy the next month or so though. I've been informed it's my last chance to test and move up or out. Glossing over that isn't going to solve anything. Isn't it more practical to be real with myself about the situation to better face it head on?"

Marakai2.0

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 07:04:49 am »
"And I shall endeavor to hear less of them...also, no apologies are necessary. I wouldn't have said anything at all, if it weren't for that thought you had. So...the apology should be coming from me."

He looked to her a bit sadly after that little bit of communication, feeling awful for speaking out of turn...and perhaps for being a bit too forward about it. It wasn't often he took advantage of the things he heard from other people, as he believed highly in the privacy of others.

Hearing what she said next brought a smile to his face, erasing the sadness from his features. "Don't worry about disappointing me, or anyone else. All you can do is try your best, and in that, there is no shame in failure. And whether you're given this deadline or not doesn't even matter. Besides...thinking and worrying about it will only distract you. Distractions cause mistakes, and mistakes are what will hurt you the most."

He set his fork down, turning to her more fully. "So, keep that upbeat attitude of yours, hit your books, and try not to worry about anything else. I'm almost positive you'll get through just fine." Garza grinned, and pointed a finger toward her food. "But before that, enjoy your food."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 09:37:51 am »
It was difficult to not let herself be dragged down by fear and doubt. She always had been and always would be a competitive soul. As long as Joelle viewed it as a game or a challenge, she could be sure to succeed. She had to because despite what Garza, if her best was not good enough then that would be the end of the line for her.

Such thoughts were quickly shoved away in lieu of a loud chorus of 'food' being shouted repeatedly in her head. Joelle smiled impishly up to him as she made quick work of her food mountain. Taking a swig of her juice though, she winced at the taste. "I really wish that they would stop watering this stuff down though. It's not like we can really get that much of a sugar high off it anyway."

Sulking but with a look of concentration, she lifted two fingers at the glass and motioned them as if beckoning it to come closer. A second later and there was a gentle sploosh as the juice concentratein the glass separated from the water she had pulled up. Little by little she had more water back as she brought it to the right ratio for her liking. The remaining water was easily formed into an orb that she tossed up above her like a grape and caught in her mouth. A scowl formed but was quickly washed away with several gulps of her preferred drink. "Water is so gross," she hissed once she could talk again.

Marakai2.0

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:41 am »
Garza smirked at her at her sugar high comment, his lip curling just enough to make his teeth visible. "Well, you, anyway. Most of us don't take in quite as much sugar as you do, so we're not quite as used to it."

He watched her with fascination when she did her hydrokinetic bit, wide eyed while she manipulated the solution of her juice by gradually removing some of the water from it. "That's amazing...I didn't know you were hydrokinetic. That's quite a gift, and I admit to being only a little envious." He gave a small smile, his eyes following the grape-sized orb of water as she plopped it into her mouth.

"Gross? I disagree. It's good for you, and besides, being a hydro means you'll be working with it alot." He smirked a bit, and drained half of his own juice in a single gulp. "Might as well get used to it."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 11:37:30 am »
"What's to be envious of?" she asked, having missed the expression on his face during her focused display. But she flushed once more at the sound of awe and praise in his voice. "It's nothing special to write home about. Daddy would have been a lot happier if I'd been and electro like him. My sister's a techno," she told him with a proud smile. "She'll be starting next year. Definitely a Tinker through and through."

Joelle chuckled and shook her head as she thought of her overly exuberant younger sister. "She's a pill but I love her to death. If you think I'm overly accustomed to sugar," she shook her head with a smirk, "she doesn't even eat the junk I do and she's still bouncing off the walls. Such a dork!" Despite the name though Joelle's eyes had softened as she thought of her sister with a great deal of love.

"Hydro or not though water is gross and there are so many things that taste loads better. Seriously would you pick water over a nice cold soda-pop? I wouldn't! Water is boring."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal