Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Lest We Forget  (Read 373 times)

Offline Lion

Lest We Forget
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:37:13 pm »
[Open by Request]

Fingertips traced alongside the names etched in marble. It was white typeface set against the black of the Onishi Cenotaph, central Adstreia. The marble that held those names was thick and polished, and those in charge of its upkeep did a wonderful job of maintaining it. It was pristine. Grisham always threw a few extra credits their way when he had the chance. It was the least he could do.

Grisham plucked his callused fingers away, letting his hand drop loosely to his side before he stuffed it into his jacket pocket. The cigarette at the end of his lips was crumpled up and crooked. He took the lighter to it, the spark igniting the end and with a long draw on it the smoke came to life. There were electronic smokes he could get into, just change out the cartridge and he’d be set, but old habits were just harder to kill, he supposed.

Night was setting soon, and the sky was already that dark purple color over the dome. The sky would be clear, for once, and when they were parted, the glittering backdrop of stars would be dazzling against the speckled marble. A shining example of Adstreia’s namesake, “The City of Stars.”

The Onishi Cenotaph was upper level, and from there much of Adstreia would see the stars above that glassy pane. The shield above that was what kept the air clean, and if a passing storm came through it would cover that beautiful sky. Grisham wasn’t looking at the sky. Tonight he could take that beautiful view for granted.

Tonight would be another year, and he planned to get stone cold drunk.

Are you coming tonight? -G

I don’t think I can make it. Sorry. - L

Oh ok. Sorry, I asked. - G

Don’t you think it’s a little sad that you still go down there? It’s not going to bring him back. - L

He was our son. What am I supposed to do, forget about him? I can’t just move on so easily like you, Lisa. I’m visiting him. And you can’t stop me. At least I still give a shit. -G

Fuck you! And fuck off. As ever any conversation with you is a fucking waste of time. He was our son. Was. And now he’s gone. Don’t ever think for a second I don’t still think of him! Sorry I wasted my time. Yet again! - L

Grisham didn’t bother responding. And the faint glow of his phone lit was temporary light against his grizzled face as he reread the messages. Something had been a waste of time all right. But none of it had to do with being here at the memorial. The Cenotaph was largely where names of those fallen in the war had been etched. Standard military mostly. Further into the memorial and there were family sections where Pilots had their kin residing, a small box of ashes and a name to match.

He recognized a few names on there. Marshalls. Danvers. Shintoori. But none of those were the names was looking to visit. Further in, in his father’s plot, were other Alberichs could be found was Isaak’s name. And his small box.  And a place where a candle could be lit. When he reached that section, the light panels recessed into the floor ignited, long strips that reflected upward, and the hallway ceiling above them did likewise.

The names themselves were illuminated, a gently bluish glow, or sometimes another color if the family wished to have their relative’s name customized. For Isaak, a soft green was chosen. It was his favorite color as a kid, so why not.

Grisham took a long drag off that smoke, the hallway he was in fairly empty save for an old woman sniffling to a small cut out were she was placing flowers in the offering box above. The old woman coughed at the smell of cigarette smoke and scowled at him. “Could you please put that out?” she hissed.

“Sure,” Grisham mumbled, winking at her and pulling out a neighboring box of ashes and sticking the cigarette butt in there. “There ya go.”  And went about pulling a cigar from his pocket, clipping and lighting it. “I was tired of that one anyway.”

“Asshole.” And the clack of her shoes on marble was all that was heard as she stomped away.

Grisham actually laughed and reached up to press his thumb against the slot next to Isaak’s name. “Hey boy. Happy birthday. I just wanted to come down and say hello. Just to see how you were, and that I think about you a lot. I love you, son. And I miss you. Here, brought you a candle.”

WHen he removed his thumb a small tray came out where he placed the thick short candle  and clicked it into place. Secured, he used his electric lighter to ignite that as well. “It was good talking to you again. I don’t get a chance to come down here as often as I like. For your birthday though, I made an exception. Your mom says hi too, and she loves you. I’ll be seeing you, buddy,” Grisham mumbled and reached into kiss the marbled name.

He cleaned it off with his sleeve, stuffed his hands into his pockets and dragged himself out of the building proper, it’s looming shadow behind him with its curved roofs, reflecting moonlight. The sky would become smothered soon, and only then did Grisham bother glancing up to enjoy the sight.  There it was, in the spaces between toxic fumes, that blaring bulb of white, full and round.

He hissed internally, pushing away the memories from up there. He just needed a walk. Needed to clear his head.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:43:39 pm by Lion »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal