Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Where would this idea fit?  (Read 1323 times)

Paradox

Where would this idea fit?
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »
Okay, I won't lie. I've always been a sucker for murder mystery/ CSI type stuff. >.>

That being said, I'd like to play a character that would specialize in criminal investigation. The issue that I've been having is where would an idea like this most likely fit?

I'd like for this character to be working in a gritty urban environment where crime is commonplace, but where the law enforcement isn't totally corrupted. I don't mind if there's a LOT of corruption , but I'd like my character to work with some other honest people or semi-honest , noble sorts.

I had considered Aedolis, but I'm honestly not sure how that would work out.

Any thoughts? Your time and consideration is appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Where would this idea fit?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »
Aedolis would totally work! 8D The oppressive nature of the place lends itself to a high population of serial killers and copycats. And they do have a police force and stuff! So I'm sure they have private eyes and criminal investigators and the whole CSI thing goin' on! 8D
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Paradox

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:07:22 pm »
Whee! Fantastic! :D

Sooo...

does that mean that I... play a serial killer too? <3

(I swear I'm not deranged. :3 )

Edit: I just thought of an additional question because there's not a whole lot of information about law enforcement specifically. xD Mostly pilot stuff and I assume they're not the same thing, yeah?

Where would an a criminal investigations agent/police officer rank on the totem pole within the military ? I'd venture to guess they'd rank kind of lowish, yeah?  I am absolutely cool with that since it presents some fun personality opportunities.

Also, a person working for the government...just how closely would they be monitored? What I mean is, let's say my character felt kind of resentful towards a higher ranking member of the military. Are his thoughts private (if he keeps them in his head only )  or are they monitored 24/7 and if so, would he be punished for thinking such things even if he had no intention of acting upon his resentment?  I was going to assume that he might be under camera surveillance and , if suspected of potential treason , he might be brought in to have his mind analyzed by a psychic or something but yeah...I figured I'd ask before I added certain things to his personality.

Let me stress though, he's just kinda resentful and jealous. He's not anti-government or anti-pilot. (Why else would he be in law enforcement then? lol...) Not that this couldn't change later on. xD

Sorry for all the questions. :S I can't help it. I was born this way.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:21:47 am by Paradox »

Offline Tally

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:47 pm »
WOOT GOOD QUESTIONS

Yeah, police/internal city security are gonna be local forces and thus not have a rank in the federal military government of Aedolis at all—so yes, they're pretty low.

Aedolis doesn't actually engage in thought-policing in that, no one actually out and working is going to be monitored 24-7 unless like...it's part of some under cover operation to ferret out some terrorists or something.  And definitely no one's gonna get in trouble for having resentful thoughts about anyone in the military because people have resentful thoughts all the time that result in nothing whatsoever and trying to control that would not work at all. xD

So it would totally depend on exactly WHAT thoughts a psychic overheard.  Like, just resentment?  Pft, whatever.  People resent others all the time.  But specific thoughts on planning to take action on that resentment?  Yeah, he'd be under surveillance then.  Either camera or they could put a psychic in his circle of coworkers without him knowing, and which method they use would really depend on the severity of the transgression and their available resources at the time.

Paradox

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
I would have assumed such , but people don't always behave the way one assumes. What makes sense to me might not to someone else and, well, it's within human nature to be paranoid of one another. Resentment might not seem like a big deal to some, but left unchecked it often becomes a dangerous thing.

And, well, this makes it more fun especially with a character who doesn't plan to act on their resentment but ends up doing so anyway. Not that I'm implying I intend my character to do such things, but it's certainly an entertaining thought, isn't it?

Well, whatever. Makes sense. Thanks.

Oh! One more question. With it having been established that police forces rank low, am I to assume that they have the lowest level of psychic ability if any at all? I'm assuming that anyone with greater ability would be enlisted in this pilot program or whatever else. At least this is the impression I received whilst reading the Wiki.

Thanks again!

Offline Tally

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:51:58 am »
Exaaactly, and I bet Aedolis wishes it had the manpower (psychicpower?) to keep tabs on everyone's thoughts 24/7 and watch them all the time. xD  But given the huge population and relative small number of psychics, troublemakers are bound to slip through the cracks. >.>  Which is good for us because PLOTS!

Pretty much though, the most important thing is that the setting is really open. So if we wanted a police officer with some strong resentment to get under the radar and not have ANY surveillance on him at all, then there are totally ways to make that work!  And the opposite is also true!  If we wanted an officer who was under total/partial surveillance of any kind, we could find reasons for that too! ^.^

Yeah, the Pilot program has a vaguely (vaguely for us, the players) defined cut off point, where you have to be above that in terms of psychic power to get into the program.  Other psychics will be drafted and assigned jobs and positions depending on their abilities.  I think it would make sense that precincts could call in for psychic assistance, and there would be like...two or three low-ability psychics per city who's job is to be on call for police action.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal