Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: So this place is nice and not creepy at all. [open!]  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Tally

So this place is nice and not creepy at all. [open!]
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:21 pm »
August wouldn't say he was worried per se.  That wasn't quite the word for it.  But he was...hm, reserved about his expectations that this evening would end without serious physical trauma—his own or someone else's.

It was just terrific how idiosyncratic the Cancer was—sort of like a labyrinth.  A terrible, dirty labyrinth with an unfortunate smell.  August didn't know where he was in relation to anything else at this point.  He did know that his Aedolian military uniform was garnering attention of the sort he didn't want.  There was an awful lot of glaring and sneering going on as he passed through the alleys and—gods above, was that guy picking his teeth with a knife?  Fantastic.

August ducked around a corner and found badly-lit hangars on either side of him.  Better and better! 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:06:38 am by Tally »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: So this place is nice and not creepy at all. [open!]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
The soldier caught his attention, all right; Cecil walked several paces before he had to stop and do a double take. Sure enough, there he was, meandering toward the old hangar bay--the one that had been shut down and abandoned years back in favor of a newer one that wasn't literally falling apart. The one that was now a popular hangout for thugs.

Of all the stupid, foolish things...

Either that guy was insanely confident, or insanely idiotic because wearing an Aedolian uniform on the Cancer? He may as well douse himself in sheep's blood and march into a lion's den. He was already getting eyed up and down like a fat, lost lamb, ripe for the slaughter; there was, after all, no shortage of folks who had a bone to pick with Aedolis and those who represented it.

If he had been anyone else, he would have kept on walking the way he'd been going.

Rolling his one good eye and letting out a low sigh, Cecil turned on his heel and headed after him.

His wardrobe was unremarkable, and so was his appearance: pale-skin, freckles, and ginger hair pulled back into a loose tail. The only thing that really stood out was his height and the eye patch over his left eye, but there were plenty of tall guys with interesting battle scars, not to mention the non-humans. But that was what he was going for, blending in.

Since he didn't fancy getting knifed like some people.

The Aedolian had just reached the old hangar bay when he caught up to him. He stopped him with a firm hand on his shoulder.

"I wouldn't go any further if you value your life," he said, voice low.
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

Re: So this place is nice and not creepy at all. [Rhi!]
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:38 pm »
August tensed at the hand on his shoulder, but Aedolis didn't put out half-trained grunts—he was good enough not to flinch, and when he turned it was slowly, calmly, like he wasn't in somewhat of a precarious situation with regards to living and not getting stabbed.

This fellow certainly had the pirate look down, eyepatch and all.  Odd, though.  Either he was expressing genuine concern, or this was the beginning of some scripted encounter that would end with August's kidneys in a couple of ice coolers.  It was like a game show!

"Really?"  August blinked at the dilapidated hangar bay, the litter, the shadows lurking in doorways and windows.  "Why?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »
"Because," Cecil said, as though speaking to someone very young or very slow, "you're heading into a rather dark and shady and quiet area. While wearing an Aedolian uniform. On the Cancer. Alone."

He released the man's shoulder and shrugged his own. "Of course, if you have business with the local cartel, by all means don't let me hold you up."

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Offline Tally

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:10 am »
"Oh, yes.  That."  August sighed.

"I am currently entertaining suggestions as to what else I could do."  August frowned over the man's shoulder, where his previous path would lead him back through the alley with that gentleman who was using a knife for a toothpick.  "Given the state of my options."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:42:35 am »
"You have no idea what the hell you're doing, do you," Cecil said with a shake of his head, less a question and more a statement of fact.

"Then here's a suggestion: turn around and walk away from the dark, shady place crawling with cutthroats. Also, come with me," he said, jerking his head in the direction they'd come from--which was, of course, where the man with the knife-for-a-toothpick was.

Offline Tally

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:49:27 am »
"Absolutely.  This seems like a plan that can't possibly fail."

In general, and this entire time that he'd been getting more and more lost, he'd been banking on the uniform to both attract ire but repel violence.  Sure, the gentlemen lining the alleyways and lurking behind dark windows maybe weren't thrilled to be seeing an Aedolis serviceman, but that uniform boasted an intimidation factor that wasn't insignificant.  That intimidation had kept him safe, so far.

Good thing too, considering he wasn't even armed.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »
Cecil lead the way, keeping close to the man and keeping a keen eye out for any trouble. Wouldn't do for him to come to his rescue only for him to get taken out now.

"What're you doing all the way out here, anyway?" he asked once they'd exited that alley and entered another one, sticking to a casual, unhurried pace. Rush and you drew attention to yourself. "Because if you're looking for something, I know this place like the back of my hand. Though..."

He gave him another sideways glance. "If you don't mind, I'm going to suggest swinging by the business district first. You have to get out of that thing."

Offline Tally

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 12:36:19 am »
August's assumptions kept swinging like a pendulum between the good and the bad.  Sometimes this man said things that made it seem like he was genuinely helping out.  Other times, August got the distinct impression he was being led into an intimate encounter with a black market organs dealer.

Like right now, twisting and turning through these alley's, and the suggestion that he get out of his uniform.  Gods above, he was going to wake up in a tub of ice, wasn't he?

"I'm with the Aedolis contingent that docked yesterday.  Granted, getting lost in the livelier parts of Cancer wouldn't have been my first choice for how to spend the evening."

August followed, but he had no intention of relinquishing his uniform.  If he was lucky, his guide would lead him to one of the more reputable business districts where they might catch sight of another Aedolis serviceman.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »
"I feel you. There's no shortage of people here who'd love to pick off a lost thing like you, and there's no few people that hate Aedolians. All things considered, you're pretty lucky."

While they had headed out of the seedy, "gonna shank you and use your intestines as a belt" area, they also weren't heading toward anywhere more populous. It was quiet out, but there were a few small businesses here and there, and he headed toward a cluster of them that looked old and rusty and cracked, like they had been there since Cancer's early stages. Around them, newer structures had been built further adding to that feel of timelessness in an ever-changing, ever growing environment.

"You can pick up some cheap clothes here," he said as he lead the way to one of the buildings. "Just to wear when you're feeling foolish and adventurous and feel like leaving your people. You gotta blend in around here or you're an easy target."

Offline Tally

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:06:34 am »
"Yes, my cup overfloweth with good fortune."

If anything, their surroundings seemed to be getting quieter and more deserted the further they went.  Rather exactly the opposite of what August wanted just then.  He needed to find his way back to the main thoroughfares.

"I don't think I will, thanks."  He passed the entrance to the clothing store and kept going.  There was no reason for him to lose the uniform and every reason not to, chief among them being that this was a blatant diversion from his goal, which wasn't to change clothes but to get back to their docking bay.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 01:07:09 pm »
Cecil let the man get two steps in front of him before he had his gun out and pressed to the back of his head. He cocked it with an audible click, just in case there was any doubt as to what the sudden, cool pressure against him was.

"I believe I may have given the impression that I was suggesting this," he said. "My apologies."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:23:31 pm by Rhi-Rhi »

Offline Tally

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 12:01:56 am »
August sighed, long and heavy.  Where was a psychic when you really needed them?

"You didn't, actually.  I'm just a hopeless optimist like that."

He turned slowly, in case his friend with the gun had a twitchy finger.  He was too used to Aedolis soldiers—level, dependable as robots when in a crisis, even when emotional or agitated.  Outside of that discipline one might expect any level of recklessness.

"I'd feel more comfortable with the gun away, if you would.  I'm not carrying myself."  Staring down the barrel, he tapped the patch on his own shoulder—the universal symbol of a health care worker.  He didn't, by intersystem law, carry a weapon on him.  It preserved his non-combatant status in the case of a war, afforded him some special treatment even if captured by an enemy nation.

Of course, they weren't in a war, and this gentleman was not an enemy soldier.  Given that, intersystem protective laws for doctors did exactly dick for him.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 06:45:55 pm »
"Oh, it's not that I think you're packing," Cecil said, and motioned with his free hand toward the clothing shop. "Go on, now. Go inside. Nice and quiet."

And he gave the man's shoulder a rough push just to get him going.

As it turned out, the clothing shop wasn't actually a clothing shop, nor was it even open, and that became obvious on a closer look. The sign was lit up, but the inside was dark, and passed the clothes lining the windows, it looked rather empty inside.

Offline Tally

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:10 pm »
The clothing store turned out not to live up to its name.  It was, as it happened, something of an empty shell inside.  Not just deserted, but dark, too.  Hit every selling point.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say this place were a touch shady."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 06:24:04 pm »
"Just a touch," Cecil confirmed. He swiped a card key that unlocked the door and then shoved the medic inside. The door closed behind them with a resounding thud.

On closer look, the shop wasn't so abandoned after all. In fact, it looked rather lived-in, like a hotel room in which people had been living out of their suitcases. People on the move, people who didn't anticipate staying long.

Not bothering to turn on the lights, Cecil motioned to a chair with his gun. "Take a seat," he said, and then reached into his pocket and pulled out a small radio. He leaned back against the checkout counter and kept a close watch on the medic.

"Hey, I got him," he said into the radio. "Rendezvous back at the shop ASAP. We're getting out of here."

Offline Tally

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:44:15 pm »
The shoving was getting a scosh under his skin.

He didn't betray his irritation.  August worked with Pilots on a daily basis, and those lumps of dysfunction could be reliably counted on to make him want to lobotomize himself during any given encounter.  One learned to control one's impulses.

His nose crinkled in the barest expression of disgust at their dwelling.  He strode relaxed, loose, to the chair.  This would be a terrible time to make a play, what with his friend's excessive vigilance, so he might as well work at creating the impression of cooperation now rather than later.

Smart man, though, this one.  Even with an unarmed doctor, he didn't relax one bit—mindful, perhaps, that August was still an Aedolis military officer.

"Well."  August picked at the rusted metal of the chair he sat in.  "I was right to get my tetanus booster, wasn't I?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »
"Always be prepared," Cecil answered with a smile. "I'd expect a doctor to be up to date."

He put the radio away but kept is gun trained on him, just in case. Now that he had him, the last thing he wanted was to fuck this up.

"I hope you didn't have anywhere important that you needed to be," he said. "And I do apologize for taking you away from your duties. I know it's inconvenient. But I assure you, as long as you cooperate, you won't have anything to worry about, Doctor...?"

Offline Tally

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
"Staresti," he said, then allowed for a significant pause.  "And no.  Just my rendezvous with the Pilots."

As it happened, Pilots were not permitted on Cancer.  Couldn't have psychics running around learning everyone's secrets now could they?

As it also happened, no one in their right mind was naive enough to believe Aedolis didn't at least attempt to get psychics quietly aboard the station—it was why the entire bridge, barracks, and engineering were encased in psionic-blocking lead alloys.

Maybe, just maybe, it would cross this man's mind just how fucked he would be if a Pilot got to August before his allies did.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
Cecil's brow creased and his lips thinned at the mention of the Pilots, but whatever thought crossed his mind, he pushed through it and once more affected a relaxed, casual expression. He'd never had any illusions that what they planned was dangerous. It was outright insane. But it was worth the risk, and there was no going back, now. The crime was already committed.

But still, gods, were there Pilots here? It was illegal, but hah, look at them, doing illegal acts. Something being illegal never stopped anyone. Especially not on the Cancer. That answer was rather ambiguous, though. Could be he was about to leave the station and head back to Earth. A good bluff, and not a lie, either.

He shifted his weight. "Ah, good. Well, you'll get to pick back up with them soon enough. We're going to--"

The door opened and Cecil jumped, more obviously than he would have liked, and glowered at the sight of his companions: a clean, orderly looking man around the same age as the doctor, another man older than Cecil, with graying hair, a biker's beard, and an affinity for chains and tattoos, and a spiky-haired woman who looked to be somewhere in the middle. The woman smiled at the sight of the doctor.

"Hey, cute hostage."

"No flirting. We're getting him out of here. Now," Cecil said, and glanced at Staresti. "He hinted there could be Pilots here."

Handing his gun off to the woman so she could spot him, he grabbed the handcuffs from her belt and headed for Staresti.

"Alright, get up."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal