Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Bryn Hates Your Band  (Read 418 times)

Anonymous

Bryn Hates Your Band
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
[center:y12yewv3]Bryn Hates Your Band:
The Music Magazine
[/center:y12yewv3]

Here it is, the blog featuring music reviews by me. If you have a favorite band, I probably hate it. Not to be... you know, a judgmental hipster or anything.

This issue, I review the Libran electronic music duo mentioned recently in my popular culture interview. The band was so pleased at the free publicity, they added me to their label's DJ list even though I'm not going to get them airplay. Got their mailing today.

[center:y12yewv3]Attack Loopback: Sympathy for the Mordecai midnight club release!

Going for adds next month, DJ release at 12AM tomorrow.

Libra natives Eliza Chabot and Curt Ohmsenn create a mix of anthemic electro and chaotic heavy metal.  After their hit Cancer instrumental "Faster Than Light" appeared on Club Static's live Audiosnow compilation, it became clear that Chabot and Ohmsenn had found a home for their unique sound. Like their hyperactive creators, Attack Loopback songs can't sit still, hopping from swooning dream-pop to gritty pirate clubcore. Fans of Deadchip, Paradox, and Lok N Lode (no, seriously) take note.  We love 1, 4, 6, 7, 9. Aedolis no-play order on 1, 5, 8, 11.

Label: The Robots Are Winning, LLC.
File Under: Top 60, RPM.

DJ Promo: MUSICfiend.vcn/dj/sympathy_for_the_mordecai
Password: <snip, haha that's privileged Bryn info>

DJ Promo Tracklist:

01. Cannibal Mechanical
02. FTL/Electrolight (Audiosnow Mix)
03. Sympathy for the Mordecai
04. Sympathy for the Mordecai (Aedolis-clean)
05. Pimp my Raven (Synesthesia Mix)
06. Pirates Like Hooks (Bonus Track)[/center:y12yewv3]

I listened to the DJ promo and felt a little sad on the inside. They're starting to do it wrong. It doesn't look like the new album is going to be as good as their older material.

"Cannibal Mechanical" featured possibly the most Canceriffic of the riffs, though the other tracks seem to be club mixes, so I can't be sure. "FTL/Electrolight" was mediocre dance fare, disappointingly simple and even worse than the original FTL. I didn't like the composition of the titular track either, though only the Aedolis-clean version was available, so no vocals.

"Pimp my Raven", on the other hand, was win and a saving grace for this album. I mean, how many bands do you know that write none-too-serious rap about a an aspiring pirate, thinking about what his bomber will look like in a few years... it's nontraditional even for Attack Loopback, but kind of awesome.

Cancer live performance artists have always gotten too into their image. It's a perpetual problem that club-metal groups have had to deal with upon entry, and Attack Loopback doesn't bother trying to engineer a look. Safe aboard the Libra, the duo is free to produce such asides as "Pirates Like Hooks", one of their few vocal productions. Sure, "Hooks" is disparaging of the catchy, canned electro stabs so often heard in places like Club Static (and indeed, in the first few tracks of the promo), but it's a relief to see the scene finally doing some self-acknowledgment.

[3/5 - Attack Loopback's getting there, but I wish they could cut the filler.]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal