Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Where did it all start?  (Read 1405 times)

Anonymous

Where did it all start?
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:58 am »
I decided, maybe I best try to come out of hiding OOC, and I thought I'd ask a question for those of you who feel like answering.

Where did you start RPing?

I don't mean necessarily like the exact rpg (though if you remember that detail, you're welcome to include it) I mean more like...what type of rpg and maybe how old you were, or how many years you've been rping. You can even include the 'evolution' of your rping if you feel like it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Where did it all start?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:38 am »
I was TEN years old when I started RPing, It was a site called the gate and my first character was some super mage named Aurora. It started off in fantasy land, and then I found SotE when I was 13! So, it's always been fantasy, did the wolf and horse thing a few times, but that wasn't up my alley because I like characters who have fingers and thumbs. Heehee.

Started off with

"*looks around* What is this!? *sits*" <---- Type of RPing, and it was probably about that long and covered in spelling mistakes.

Anyway! I've been RPing nine years now and it still makes me sad when people I know think that 'gluttony' just means that someone eats a lot. |:

8D

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
lol, awesome. It seems like lots of people start out in horse/wolf rpgs, or at least get into them rather early on. Some stick with it, and everyone else seems to leave it far far behind.

*grins* and I do remember rping with *actions* and no "words". Partly I think because when I first started, I was taught that's how you did it. *shrugs* now, I like my quotation marks and asterisks are only for IMs and OOCs

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »
I started with Venorik when I was I think 10 on yahoo messenger. The rooms had a lot of RP's goin on back in the day. Then I moved on with characters from those places to a personal forum RP, then to a site called Ayenee. From there I went to spirits of the earth when the Ayenee RP finally declined to God-moding and fell apart. So I've been RP'ing for about 8 years now, all with Venorik, who has grown quite a bit along the way.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:15:59 am »
Oh Goodness. I was probably like 10 or so I think, it's been a while so I am not 100% on that one. And it was a PBEM Pern game. And.....we are not going to speak of the horrors that were my characters = It's for the best, really.

I was 15 or 16 when I got into table top RPG. Dungons and Dragons mostly. But I got bored with the lack of role playing that happened and did some online stuff with my girlfriend at the time. But she only wanted romance plots and I got tired of that and started looking for other stuff.

Which after a series of games that crashed and burned due to player drama, I ended up on SotE and then here ^__^

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:34:32 am »
Ever since I was a little kid I liked to sit people down and tell them stories - all the better if they took the role of a character and interacted with me.  It's kinda ghetto, but I suppose that counts as a sort of role-playing.

The first time I did anything that couldn't just be dismissed as childish play-acting was when I was 14, playing AD&D, Rifts and Mortal: The Suckening (well technically Vampire: The Masquerade, but our storyteller only let us play humans XD).  Then I had a brief hiatus from role-playing.  I joined my first high school's rp club when it joined and had a lot of fun playing dumb fighters.

I got into online rp when I was 18.  I tried to join a Harry Potter game with an original character and was shot down like a duck in season.  Then I took the more conventional route and went to a wolf rp and bounced around various animal games - because at the time I couldn't find any humanoid sites that weren't high school/let's be grown ups/or some other escapist brouhaha or based on some established canon.  I found 'em eventually, usually while combing the advertising boards of a currently dying site.  On one such advert board comb I found SotE and eventually spread into RotE once it was created.  

My first (successful *cough*) online rp character was called Nightcandle.  I adopted the name myself because I had to have a chat with another player OOC, needed to call myself something so they would recognize me and had a massive creativity fail.  So I mined the name of a character.  It was either Nightcandle, Mentebella or Sgorr.

</ramblesauce>

Does anyone else have any characters they've played across multiple different rps?  I've bounced Yuri across a couple different games.  His current incarnation is a blend of his two past 'lives' with a nice new coat of varnish.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:29:08 am »
Well, so far most of my characters here on RotE were transplanted from another site. Vulcan actually started out as completely human (though still with the freaky eyes) on one of those "High school boarding school" type rpgs. Then, I ended up on a fantasy (mutant-y, vaguely x-menish) rpg, and he and his whole group of friends lent themselves really well to it, and so were slightly altered (it wasn't hard. His friend's names were Freeze, Flame, Thorn and Duke...Duke was the only one I actually had to think about) and then that rpg died in a firey ball of drama and I went on the search for somewhere I could still play Vulcan without turning him back into the weird human teenager (it's really hard to go back, when he always leaned towards suspiciously strange to begin with) And found RotE. TaDa!

Ashley started somewhere else also....very very briefly. The rpg I think died soon after I found it, though I don't remember which one it was now.

Louhi began just as one of those random, hey, want to role play with me? very very random boards where there pretty much are no rules. But I liked her, so I kept her (my rp partner for her went poof from the face of the internet, so she was tucked into my character mothballs for later)

Cook is actually my newest character here. He was created on/for this rpg. The owner of the ship however, was from a different rpg, but he doesn't get much play time.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »
Yeah I  have used Venorik in every single RP I have ever been in.lol.

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:21 pm »
If I want to be reeeally accurate, I could say I started out when I was 10 on a My Little Pony chatroom. >___> We sometimes RPed as My Little Ponies, though I didn't know that's what it was called. *dies*

Officially, I started out 11/12 years ago on a game called The Everlasting Heart Territory. x3 I found it on Discovery Online, because I was a geeky child and liked browsing and posting on their message boards, when they had message boards. I loved wolves, saw a thread about wolves, and it ended up actually being an RP thread--only everyone was being told they couldn't play there anymore by one of the Discovery mods. : Someone posted a link to where they'd moved, I followed, and voila! I found my way to my first game, a fantasy wolf/horse/dragon/unicorn game, and since back then I was utterly fearless I hopped right on into a huge plot and that was that. xD

I didn't even know other RPGs existed until the EHT had a sister site, and I played there, too, until it died, and played on all the incarnations of the EHT for years. When it died, I started branching out and looking for other games, joined a bunch of other wolf ones (back then, the thought of playing a human was ridiculous! I was like, "I'm a human now, why would I want to PLAY one? O_o").

Then, eventually after playing on some games and hating the restrictions they all had, which the EHT didn't have, I made SotE. :3 Which was originally an all animal game, but then I played Final Fantasy 9 aaaand...>_> SotE introduced humanoids and the rest is history! Now I play pretty much all humanoids.

As for characters I've played across multiple RPs, I have a one. ^^ My character Kyran (who is a half-incubus) on SotE is very flexible. I started out playing him on a one-on-one IM RP that was set in the modern day, but when that died I transplanted him onto SotE, tweaked to fit a medieval setting. I've also used him in my personal writing--used him in a goofy Halloween story and tweaked him to be a normal human. And I use him in a different one-on-one RP with another friend. He's very flexible! He's the only character I do that with. The only character I can do that with.

I don't know what makes him different, because I couldn't do that with any other character. O_o Generally, my characters become very ingrained with the setting they're created for and I can't play them anywhere else unless the game they're on dies and they need a new home. When that happens, I transplant my characters. xD
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 03:56:02 pm »
...Oi. Um.

I first started role playing in the seventh grade, so that was when I was... 13? Something like that. My friend introduced me to the art on Gaia (Though there was no finesse, there- I was taught using **'s until I stumbled on an Advanced Literate thread floating around. Boy, was I surprised!), where I role played for several years.

I run around to quite a few different sites, and role played on a Fire Emblem board that has long since died for quite a while. I gained most of my RPing practice from one Kingdom Hearts role play in particular, which lasted a good 3 1/2 years before it died.

At the height of my RPing career, I could post like a madman, and I was active well over two dozen separate threads spanning the gamut of time and race on Gaia. Goodness, my grades took a nosedive, then.

I took a hiatus before Talyafera's page led me... well, here.

Aldouvan's getting a makeover, and I have considered using Fala on other sites. While Aldouvan's art is finished and he's getting a full revamp for an RP I've fancied for a while, Fala's only other appearance has been as a background relation to another character of mine.

...Wait, no, she's got one other appearance, but it's pretty similar to here... Hrm.

It's hard for me to change over a character directly from one site to another, but I have such a hard time with names that borrowing their names  for new characters is almost commonplace. ._. I know. Shame on Kurai.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:16 pm »
I started rping with a friend over AIM a long, long while ago. I can't remember exactly. I've done far too many memory impairing things since then.

After I stopped with that my other friend got me into it, first talking me into playing on a Neopets forum with her. *head desk* then we moved to AIM and she and I still play now and are hoping to someday get ours in a more readable form and publish them.

I did a couple LJ rps for a while before I somehow found SotE, I don't even remember really. Then I found WoW and got very distracted for a long time. Then I stopped playing that so much and remembered my old home came back to SotE around the time RotE opened, and was friggin addicted to this game ever since.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:41:25 pm »
I started roleplaying on a board called Fantasy Gathering quite some time ago (Seven or eight years, which would put me at 12-13).  I stayed there for a loooooooooooong time, and tried other boards as I did. I ended up at an interesting board called Unicorns Visions.

More recently, I've tried a Legend of Zelda RP called Realms of Hyrule.

And now I'm here. >.>

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 11:08:54 pm »
Well, I had been writing stories (short stories and story-like poems) since I was 12.  I actually didn't know anything about RPGing then.  I take that back.  I knew about table top, but I never could get into it because they was no real story telling or actual RPing, like someone said earlier.  So yeah, I kept writing my stories until I discovered a RPG called Eternal Sanctuary.  I have no idea how exactly I came across it, but it was fun and had some great people on it.  There, I created a character named Patience who was a dark-skinned (like a milk chocolate color) half-fairy human with snow white hair and sky blue eyes and healing powers.  She pretty much was a Mary Sue.  *shamed*

Anywho, I stayed there for awhile until a sister site of Eternal Sanctuary opened up, an anime high school RPG for kids with special powers.  There, I made two characters:  Sapphire and Nara.  Some time later both of those sites started to die down and so I went searching for different sites, usually sticking with either high school styled ones or fantasy ones.  I couldn't get with the animal ones.  

Eventually got tired of the fantasy and went completely high school, staying at this one RPG where I made my first male character (he was a hit among the ladies 8) ) which was fun and had many interesting plots, but they were unrealistic and always filled with unnecessary drama.  So, I left again and attempted to go back to fantasy, since my real life had enough drama then.  I found a neat Wonderland fantasy-based RPG that I quickly became addicted to, especially since the admins were probably the best I have met.  Yet, that site closed because the admins were tired of doing so much for their members and only getting crap back from them.  So, I went searching again and found this place, which is sweet!

As for characters crossing over, I have three so far that has been crossed-RPed, Marika (my charrie on here), Scarlet Issaacson/Massarca, and Chidima Samai.  Marika started out as a vicious, carnivorous albino and coldblooded assassin and is now a albino-mutant military lieutenant and scout.  Scarlet issaacson/Massarca started out as a relatively nice fire demon with no last name whose hair changed from silver to black depending her mood, turning into a rebellious gothic teenager who had the ability to morph into other people and into finally a teenaged space explorer who had to aid in defending her fellow crew mates from the strange planet.  Scarlet, I would say, has changed the most, by far.  Finally Chidima has remained much of the same.  She is a very dark skinned woman with a cold, haughty attitude and only cares for herself, cutting down people with her words.  At first Chidima was an adult, a human with mermaid, elf, and fairy all in her blood.  The next time I used her, she was a student with the ability to control wood.  

I actually am thinking bring some of them back to this site, since it is easy to change them, especially on here.

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »
Wow, this brings back so many memories!  H'okay so...

I started RPing when I was in 6th grade (so...what...11/12 maybe?) on a website called The Young Writers Club.  Unfortunately, this site is no longer around, it was closed down after the back-log got so bad that they couldn't catch up.  I found that out a few months ago. ): it was a pretty ghetto site and where I started my pen-name Gold!  They had a "storybook" section and I started playing in a story book called "The Chosen" which all seven of us who posted there took it from TYWC and moved to a yahoo group where we could reply in emails.

Following the Yahoo group, one of the guys (one of the girls father, actually, hahaha, he rped with us to keep an eye on her and make sure she wasn't getting into trouble on the scary internet.  He was really cool actually!  We still keep in touch ^_^ ) and he, Jack (his pen name) made Bombdiggity.com (which has also shut down ): Jack couldn't afford either money or time to keep it running)

I also made my own rpg site, and advertising for Narmantica, and Wilting Summers Rose (www.geocities.com/wilting_summers_rose it's definitely no longer active, but I enjoy looking at it sometimes and thinking about how much I enjoyed html and css...*sigh* ) I found SotE in December 2003! (I didn't actually start playing until Feb. 2004...but I haunted it, wondering if I wanted to join another rp...)  My friend from middle/high school really got me into rping with a site that she had made.  It was a whole lot of fun, and when that closed too (I'm so glad SotE/RotE have not followed this trend, lol ) I was ecstatic that I had SotE!

For awhile I also ran another RP that was bequeathed to me, Circle of Magic, but that was terribly devastating and the only people who continued to play were me and the other girl who ran it with me....it was sad....even with advertising....haha ha

As for my rp styles....as Rhi can attest >_>  I use to take pride in my ability to turn over a "post" in 5 minutes...usually along the lines of...well....if you're really curious go to SotE--Arca--Here We Are page one and take a look see >_>

I have never cross-used any characters surprisingly enough....All of them are unique for the rp for which they were created xD  Which I guess is crazy because I have soooooo many characters!  It's crazy....hehehe

I too, for a little while (in college actually >_> ) played D&D but I got so tired of people taking in-game tiffs out of game and stupid people thought that when my character/me yelled at their characters/them they got pissed off at me and sent nasty emails about how I'm a terrible person....yeah....I got out of that....I may go back and play once or twice with the people I originally started, but after I finished school and moved an hour and a half away from them, it became super hard for me to do anything with them anymore...and I think I've grown out of it a bit...I enjoy writing more than acting I've found (:

Annnnd....that's my story!

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »
I started rping when I was 13 at a horse rpg called HoofPrince. I made a character called MOONLIT DREAMS.

I'm not sure exactly when I found SotE, or how it came about. I know it was within the next 1-3 years, though.

I'm 20, now.

I still play at a few horse rpgs, but not with Moonlit Dreams. On SotE I think I first joined a character called Kanina... and that's where the name started.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »
Wow--where was I when all this was going on?

I... was writing fanfiction (Lord of the Rings).  And original fiction.  I was a review whore.  I was also kind of a jerk--on ff.net I wrote mainly parodies of Mary Sues and, actually, the Lord of the Rings movies themselves, and one really weird story about a 50-year-old policeman, a 48-year-old doctor, and an Elf.  Write what you know be damned.  I think I stumbled upon a Lord of the Rings RPG when I was something like 15, but I found myself highly confused by it.  I think it was one of those wherein everything happened in a single thread, and when I ventured a short post, people ignored it--so I gave up.

Ff.net, Fictionpress, and a few writers' messageboards (talking about writing, sharing stories, things like that) lasted me from age 14-15 (prior to that I really didn't do much online, apart from AIM with my friends).  At 15 I went to a boarding school that didn't allow online recreation.  Got out at 18, spent half a year mostly offline doing absurdly overachieverish things like editing the college paper, Debate, and Boggle as a drinking game.  That summer I read the last Harry Potter book and wrote some stupid fanfiction mockery of a few characters, for lulz.  Oddly enough, someone from some RPG reviewed the thing and said 'hey, come join this RP board, you look like a good writer.'  Or something to that effect.  And I thought 'hey, I'm working as a paralegal intern, which is boring as shit, and have tons of free time in between collating random aircraft deals and waiting for things to print!'  And thus RP is how I survived my internship.  Obviously I took breaks from it when I actually did have to do work.  The thing was on EZ-boards, and I just remember thinking of crazy titles for all the replies... oh, and when I first joined, I thought you were supposed to play yourself.  I also had no idea what playbys were--I thought they were personal pictures at first (I figured it out pretty fast, at which point I was faintly disgusted that people were using pictures of people they didn't know, then, after rethinking, joined in on the 'fun').  Yes.  I lacked internet savvy.  In fact, I was a cultural idiot.  XD  At least I never did the whole 'describe your character's beauty in meticulous detail' thing.  I never got why anyone would describe their own character's appearance more than once--it seemed fairly 'Mary Sue'ish--so I just never did it.  I also tended to mock my characters' attempts to project image, impress people, etc.  Other faults, though?  Geez, I liked drama.  And my second character--the less said about him, the better.  RPing lets you do the Mary Sue/Gary Stu thing in ways fanfiction can't dream of--interactivity was hard for me at first.

... wow.  I just revisited my first RP board.  I hope no one I know ever sees that.  (Unless you ask; then I'll show you some particularly awful threads).

Anyway, from there I found this other site, whereon, eventually, someone from an invisionfree board found me and invited me over.  From that board I found RPG-D, and began to learn about the wider RPG world.  Two years later--here I am.  It was kind of like My Fair Lady, except not at all.

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 09:24:55 pm »
I started RPing about five years ago on *shudder* Neopets. I have now decided it is where roleplay goes to die, or perhaps where it's born. Either way you don't want to hang around long lest you wallow in the sea of crap.

From there a nice fellow invited me to his fledgeling game called Heldon, which had recently split off from another site, where the country Heldon was only a single board, due to problems with the admin. Turns out, this guy was the problem.

I left there, following an link off their site to Tridane, which was a glorious concept, just, I beleive, poorly executed. A difficult posting system (because the admin refused to move to an actual forum) and generally inactive members forced it to die.

Draco (who I'm sure regrets it every day) who was a member of Tridane, showed me Sote just before the site went under.

I've been around Sote and Rote exclusively since then, not really having the time to write in any more threads.

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 06:08:31 pm »
Let's see....
My first RPing experience was a little over a year ago, in an RP that Kurai made in a Fire Emblem centric Gaia Guild. Then, one time, Kurai showed me a thread from here because it was totally hilarious, and said I should join. When I got some spare time, which was a few weeks ago, I did, and here I am. X3

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »
My first rp was done by passing a piece of paper back and forth between my friend one day at school. It was a wolf rp and got into mature theme's pretty quickly.
My second or so rp was a kingdom hearts roleplay, where I was this cool shadow heartless with blue eyes and a water like blue sword (see cover of final fantasy 10).
I than wrote some yaoi on kingdom hearts, and took a long break from rping.
My friend needed people for her rp site, so I said yes. The site died. I signed up for her second site. Than looking on nerdfighters one day I found the link to this site.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »
Aww I used to mess around on Nerdfighters too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal