Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Take a Number (Rhi)  (Read 1071 times)

Anonymous

Take a Number (Rhi)
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »
Zed's Body and Engine Shop

The place was run, up front, as a legitimate shop. The fact that most of the parts that passed through were not registered on any list, because they were stolen from stripped ships, was only known to people that were in that very business. Things were kept discreet, and nobody questioned where the used parts came from. Zed was in the business of don't ask and don't tell.

Nicholas had landed a job there at first because Zed had pitied him. Just another wayward kid, orphaned by war, and lost in the universe with nowhere to turn. By the end of the first day, Zed had reformed his opinion of the quiet, scrawny boy. Young, short, and fairly puny-looking, yes, but the kid knew his shit, and he worked without bitching and without questioning. Zed could appreciate those qualities.

After a month, Nick was still hanging around, not even an official, on the books, employee, but he was semi-content with their arrangement. The shop was noisy that day. There were saws and drills running. Zed's three mechanics were dismantling a small courier vessel, and he was helping. Right now he had on welder's gloves and a mask as he cut through a stubborn piece of piping.

Focused on work, he only barely noticed someone come in and start talking to Zed. They seemed to converse for a few minutes, but then Zed was pointing in his direction. Hmm, now that was interesting, his stomach formed into knots as his first reaction was an icy pit of fear in his gut. Was someone looking for him? That thought was pushed away and he calmed himself back down. This guy was no one official. They hadn't found him.

As the strange and excessively tattooed and pierced man approached him, Nick killed his torch. Standing from his crouched position over the pipe he gave it two kicks and the piece he needed to get out of the way crashed to the floor. Setting his tool aside he pulled the gloves off and pushed his mask up.

"I'm busy here, whatcha want?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Rhi-Rhi

Re: Take a Number (Rhi)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »
"I wanted to talk to ya," Ari said, cutting straight to the chase, one hand on his hip as he peered down at the tiny kid with an amused smile. "See about offerin' ya an opportunity--if you're cut out for it."

Kid was young, younger than he'd expected when pops over there had named him as his best mechanic, but eh. Ari had been young when he'd started out, too, and he didn't really give a shit about age. He was looking for skill. Of course, technical skill wasn't all he needed, though it was a good starting point. Judging by the nature of this place, it didn't look like he had to even ask whether or not the kid was comfortable going against the law, so that was one issue out of the way, at least. Now he just had to know just how good he was and, more than anything else, how down he was with the lifestyle Ari and his crew lived.

Because it wasn't just about stealing from the rich and giving to themselves. People got hurt. They got hurt. He'd even lost good men and women in the past. Fuck, even right now he was sporting a shoulder wrapped in medical tape and a baggie full of Vicodin stuffed in his pockets. The last mission had...well, they'd come out on top, but he'd taken a bullet in the process.

"Old Zed over there said ya were a pretty bitchin' mechanic. How true is that? Good at takin' apart engines? What about ships?"
OPEN THREADS! JOIN FOR ADVENTUROUS FUN TIMES!
Plots for an Edani mage? 8D

AWESOME SHIP OF PIRATEY GOODNESS
The Sassy Juice wants YOU on its crew!

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:02 pm »
Now, the words offering and opportunity got Nick's attention. He was pretty keen to jump on the chance to make some money, and this sounded like a job. He wondered how big a job and how long it would take, and most importantly, how much he could rake in from it. His expression was fairly blank as Ari said he'd been called a bitchin' mechanic, that really didn't surprise him, he was good at what he did, and he knew it. Not that he would gloat or anything, but, he acknowledged that he as pro.

The next words were what really got him. Ari was rewarded with a flat stare, before Nick looked around at the ship they were in the process of taking apart at that exact moment. "Oh, I don't know, I guess you could say that." The words were spoken dryly. Was he good? Come on! This guy wasn't even trying.

"Look, I'll spell it out for you, keep it reeeeeeal simple. You give me a ship, any ship, and I can make it run like a dream or take it apart and put it back together again. Blindfolded. Don't believe me, ask Zed, he'll tell you that there isn't a piece of equipment I've come across yet that can stop me. Is that good enough?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »
Ari stared at the kid, eyebrows raising. Well, better a smartass than a dumbass, he always said, right?

"That's some way to talk to a guy offerin' ya a job, kid," Ari said with a grin. "And I do value honesty and sass in my crew. So ya can do all that without guidance is what I mean, right?" He motioned to the crew that was helping the kid disassemble. "If I needed ya to take care of something like that--" He snapped his fingers. "--like some emergency, as sometimes happens, ya could do your job, yeah? You'll always a crew, but shit happens and ya gotta be able to think on your feet and I ain't got no babysitters."

Kid was young, a little younger than what he liked to take on, but he wasn't about to discredit him because of age alone. He'd been young when he'd first been brought into the life, but this was different. He wanted this kid to understand just what he was getting into before he got into it, because it'd be a hell of a long time before they came back.

Ari // Arrow // Asher // Bailey // Cecil //  Cyrus // Dakota // Esha // Francis // Gabriel // Jake // Jericho // Jewel // Keziah // Kyran // Lexi // Malriiko // Nuri // Poe // Rachel // Shiloh // Sitara // Val // Yazuri

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
Nick knew that he could come off as a bit of a sarcastic bastard, but he wasn't inclined to change his attitude.

In fact, when Ari commented on it, he simple raised his own eyebrows. He folded his arms across his chest, giving a disatisfied sniff. "These clowns don't give me guidance, I give them guidance. I'm the one that they come to when there is a question." He paused and tapped his temple lightly with a smirk. "The answers are all up here. As long as I have an access point and can find the proper programs, then anything I don't know, I can find out, and pretty fast too."

He grimaced slightly. "No babysitters necessary. I can manage on my own. And yeah, before you ask, yes, I've got an AI, but no I am not a cyborg or android, or anything like that."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:21 pm »
"An AI, huh? That's pretty nifty. Alright, then, that's good, so I guess I'll cut right to the chase."

Ari cracked his knuckles. He didn't feel the need to speak lightly in this place; ol' Zed knew what kinda business he was in. "So, I'm lookin' for a few more crew members for my ship. I'm down a mechanic and need another to keep the ship running and help strip down whatever we bring in. What's in it for ya? Well, room and board, for one. And I can tell ya more money than you're makin' here," he said, sweeping a glance around the place.

"But we can discuss specifics once I know you're interested--and once I fill ya in on the finer details. Sound like something you'd be into?"

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »
Nick didn't like talking about his AI much, but he wasn't going to hide it either. He hadn't asked to be invaded and mechanized, but he had been and there was no use crying over it now. Besides, sometimes his AI gave him a distinct advantage. It was much less of a secret than other parts of his life.

Finally, he knew what was going on. Oh sure, he figured Ari had work for him, but this, this was exactly what he needed. Of course, he did his best not to show any eagerness, that was just good sense. No need to let people know you were that eager to get away from someplace. Pretending to think about it for a moment, a hand reached up to idly scratch at his jaw. It was always annoying to find there was only smooth skin there. Every morning he pretended to shave, but that had nothing to do with it.

"Hmm, well I can say a change of scenery might be nice. Let's discuss these 'finer details' and get those specifics. Zed treats me good, but this place isn't exactly gonna take me places, if you catch my drift."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:31:20 pm »
"Yeah, well, if ya wanna go places ain't nowhere like a spaceship, eh?" Ari said with a wry grin. But ah, right, time for the main spiel. Kid seemed interested enough, but this was the part that either hooked 'em or drove 'em away.

"Right! So as far as specifics go--and I'm just gonna talk atcha now so hold off on the questions, alright? I'm just gonna be blunt and say we're what ya might know as 'pirates'," he said, complete with air quotes. "Sounds glamorous, but ain't really, but we have a lot of fun out there. It's a dangerous job, or can be, but don't be expecting weekly dogfights or heists--though it happens. For the most part, you'd be spending your time ensuring my baby keeps purring and stripping down whatever we bring in."

He paused and folded his arms, shifting his weight. "Mind ya, there ain't a legal thing we do and there's always a risk of getting caught by the authorities. Libra, Edanith, Aedolis, we've tangled with 'em all and are no friends of either. So I want ya to understand exactly what you'd be gettin' into here. Likewise, I expect ya to have some skill in fightin' or usin' a weapon 'cause ya will be needin' it. Now, I get you're just a squishy mechanic, so I'd like at least the interest to be there. I got people who'd help ya, but I don't take on anyone who can't defend themselves. You're just a mechanic so I won't be askin' ya to board ships and kick ass, but if we ever get boarded, you're not just gonna be a sittin' duck, got it?"

There was another pause as he mulled over what else he needed to say, and then he shrugged. "That about covers it. Questions? Ah, right, and my name's Ari, by the way. Ari Maxwell."

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »
Nicholas shifted on his feet slightly, arms still folded across his chest as he listened to Ari get into his speech. There wasn't much that really surprised him as he nodded his head occasionally when something was particularly interesting. It was an effort not to interrupt, but he bit his tongue and held off until Ari asked if he had any questions and introduced himself. Belated introductions there, huh?

"Well, I'm Nicholas Hawsers, thanks for asking. I can't say I really give two fucks about what is legal and what isn't, as long as I'm getting my share of the pie. Stars above knows that the authorities haven't ever done shit for me. I'd rather avoid open conflict personally, but I do what needs done and I don't dick around while doing it. I've got two semi-automatics, and I can use 'em. I can handle other weapons too, if the need ever arose. I know some hand-to-hand combat techniques, but need practice if I'm ever gonna use them effectively."

He paused thoughtfully. "My only real question: when do I start?"

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 11:57:22 am »
Well, that cinched it!

"Right now," Ari answered with a grin and held out his hand. "Ya sold me, so consider yourself the newest member of the Sassy Juice--that's my baby and ya best treat her right. Now, why don'tcha go say your goodbyes and then we can go getcha two acquainted, yeah?"

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:36:14 pm »
Nick finally cracked a grin at Ari, throwing his hand into his and giving a firm, but brief shake. He liked deals that went so smoothly. If only everything in life was that easy.

"Don't you worry about your baby. She'll be in good hands. I'm gonna treat her like a princess."

Throwing a glance at Zed and the other mechanics, he pulled the shield completely off his head and tossed it carelessly on the work station. Not his problem anymore. Turning he disappeared into the office, only gone a couple minutes, then reappeared, wearing his jacket and hat. There was also a dufflebag thrown over his shoulder and his double holster was under his jacket. The twin handguns fitting snug against his body and virtually indetectable.

"HEY ZED! PEACE OUT DUDE!" Nick gave a casual wave in Zed's direction before smirking at Ari. "I'm ready. Let's see this baby of yours. I want to get to know her A-S-A-P."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »
"Hah, that was some goodbye, kid," Ari laughed, then rested a hand casually on his shoulder to guide him along. To Zed, he turned and snapped a cocky salute. "Thanks for the loan, man!"

Yeah, right. Once you got in with pirates, you didn't leave. Not because you were prevented from leaving--though that often factored into it--but because it was simply the nature of the beast, of the lifestyle. You couldn't get out once you were in. It changed you. Hopefully this kid was prepared for that, but only time would tell.

Leading the way out of the shop, Ari looked back down at the kid. "So how'd ya get workin' for old Zed?" he asked. "'Cause man, ya sure seemed like ya wanted out bad."

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:08:06 am »
Nick shrugged his shoulders when Ari commented on his goodbye to Zed. He hadn't really been there long. A month wasn't enough time to develop any hardcore attachments. Which made him shrug again when Ari brought up his eagerness to get out. He really had hoped he hadn't come off as too eager. Well, it hardly mattered, this guy was a pirate, what would he care.

"Zed was good to me, helped me out when I needed it, but I already told you: working there wasn't taking me places. Frankly, I hate being on Cancer. This place could be awesome, but I don't like having to look over my shoulder all the damn time and wondering when the jig is up, if you catch my drift. Jumping onto your ship and getting the hell out of here is a welcome offer."

Offline Rhi-Rhi

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 07:57:33 pm »
"Heh, yeah, I know whatcha mean. I mean, I'm alright with the Cancer. It's my home away from home. Then again, guess I don't really gotta be worried about bein' jumped or nothin'." Most people didn't mess with him. He was tall, well-built, and tended to project an aura of confidence and control--and it was convincing because he honestly believed it and had on more than one occasion proven it. When cornered, he went for quick and brutal; thoroughly incapacitate the other person before they had a chance to have a go at you. There was no such thing as fair fighting.

Ari shrugged. "But ain't nothin' like being in control of your life. Don't think I could ever settle for bein' stuck in one place, on some rock somewhere or some floating hunk of metal. Why settle when ya can just go wherever whenever, right? Oh, hey, whatcha know?"

They'd reached the docking station and Ari lead the way in, past several other ships and finally to one you couldn't have missed from a mile away. Sassy Juice was no behemoth, but it was good-sized, sleek, and one of the brightest ships there, decorated with graffiti and tattoo-styled art. Sassy Juice was in large, graffiti-style letters on the side.

Ari broke out into a grin and jerked his chin in the ship's direction. "Well, there she is. Sassy Juice, my baby."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal