Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Ability Implants?  (Read 622 times)

Anonymous

Ability Implants?
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:55 am »
I have a thread going where a character of mine will get minor magical and/or minor physic abilities implanted into him, via TRIM, due to a gap in his DNA.

My question is: Is TRIM be far enough along in research for this? :3
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 pm by Guest »

Anonymous

Re: Ability Implants?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:33 am »
What are we talking? And a gap in the DNA? Gap like...his parents were sibling or...?

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:14:59 am »
Wouldn't a gap in his DNA cause him to...die? Because his cells couldn't replicate....he'd just...rot

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 03:22:04 am »
There is that too. The cells wouldn't have had enough information to form into a proper cell. He'd end up a bit of blood at the end the month after his mom tried conception. At least that's what I think would happen? I dun really know but I know you need a full DNA sequence.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:53:43 am »
Are you talking about splicing the DNA?

Taking out a segment of the code of DNA and replacing it quickly with another, for instance? It's how they create glow-in-the-dark cats and fish, these days. :3

He'll need his entire DNA sequence, otherwise he'd be... dead. Or, if not, then severely ill in one way or another.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:50:22 am »
Well, little deletions and defects like that do happen...

Actually, that's what Tetra's working on right now. :3 I could have him TOTALLY NOT FAIL this next experiment...

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08:44 am »
Him dying from not having full DNA is a good point. <.< Don't know why I didn't think of that....

Anyway! DNA splicing does seem more feasible, so I'ma change it to that. :3

Still, is TRIM be far enough along to actually give abilities to test subjects?

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:15:05 am »
Canonically speaking, Tetra's been testing different genes for their relation to psychic ability/magic for quite a while now. A minor breakthrough would probably be good for his self-esteem. (Or it could have been that he was testing on psychics/mages the whole time, and they just aren't compatible.)

RP God-willing, that is. *looks up at Rhi and Tal*

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 07:04:23 am »
Incen, I thought it was going to work with 102379 becoming psychic.

Gene splicing for multicellular organisms... that is hard. I'm not going to say it *can't* be done after the first mitosis of the animal (during pregnancy) but it would be hard to implement in EVERY cell of the body, especially one as cellularly complex and diverse as the human body. It is possible in theory but would they have the technology?

Gaps in DNA can be "glued" back together with the things they make bacterial vectors with. I've used them to implant bacteria with oyster DNA.

Rather than implants, it could activate introns (pieces of DNA that are cut out during transcription). I really hope my memory is working properly. There are lots of things that humans may have abilities for that have never been activated. I love introns and the possibilities they hold.

People are born without codes for certain things. Lactose intolerence is an example. You can even lack or have an extra chromosome and still live, it all depends on what you're missing/gaining. If for example, they wanted to splice an extra gene where the one coding for lactase should be, I'm sure they would be able to in RotE's day and age. they have hover bikes and other marvels so I see no problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal