Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Dreamin' Of Rainbows[Goblin!]  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Blink

Dreamin' Of Rainbows[Goblin!]
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »
Another day placed behind her as Mia sat at the table for two. Another day of teamwork and sims. Another day of smiling, laughing, and joking. Another day of going back to an empty apartment. Another day of silence...

Looking at her Com Mia almost regretted going in early, because then she left early. Nishi was still there and so that meant hovering over her best friend's shoulder was a bust for at least a few more hours. She had already taken her sweet time changing out of her pilot suit into the usual shorts and tank, there really wasn't much more she could do at Valhalla besides linger. It was no better when she thought of going home, it was too quiet there. Everyone was living their own lives, everyone had someone... no one needed her.

The chair across from her seemed to mock her from beyond the menu. Despite how much she tried to ignore it the fact that she was sitting alone was rubbing her the wrong way. Why didn't she take a seat at the bar like usual? It was too late now, she knew if she got up and went over it would be too obvious.

With a heavy sigh, Mia flipped the menu over, pretending to read it even though she had her mind made up of what she would order before she had even arrived. Eventually, even that became boring and she found herself scrolling through the saved pictures in her Com. Slowly a smile began to form as pictures of her squadmates flipped past the screen. She even managed to giggle at one in particular of her and Nishi posing for a selfie with glitter all over their faces. Another she managed to sneak in of Yavul balancing a pen between his nose and mouth during a meeting today.

Yep, sending that one to Grisham.
Sent

Offline GoblinFae

Re: Dreamin' Of Rainbows[Goblin!]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:40:39 pm »
It was only Tuesday and Evan was ready to call it a week. Of all the places to be sent to repair a busted robotic limb of course it had to be steaming sphincter of all Aedolis. The Valkyrie commander was certainly a beast of a man and therefore it was no surprise that he had the capability of wrecking the hefty piece of machinery. But, the price had been that Evan had been stuck all weekend in Solarta waiting for a crucial part to arrive. That was not to say that the southernmost dome of Aedolis was without charm. It just was a good twenty to thirty degrees to hell's inferno than Evan would have liked. Perhaps if he had been able to pop over to Amristah and visit his family things might not have been so droll. But, nope! Luck was not in his favor and he was stuck waiting for a delivery that had the audacity to still not make an appearance. The poor commander, while almost eerily laid-back and jovial about it all, was still sans an arm, having left the robotic limb with Evan to tinker with.

Altogether, Evan was exhausted and ravenous. A man could only live on so much JJ's before he turned into a double bourbon bacon burger with extra everything. In the mood for a beer and a, well likely another burger considering what Solarta had to offer in the way of cuisine, he dragged himself to some bar and grille called the Grub's Hub, grabbed a pale ale from the bar, and then bonelessly pooled into a chair at a table by himself. The menu was a single laminated thing that he flipped back and forth from side to side, childishly enjoying the fwip it made with each movement. If someone was going to complain then they could bite hin. He was a Pilot and if he wanted to play with a menu like a loony then he would.

"Uff da!" he declared to himself, taking a large swig of the ale and letting his head fall into one grease-stained hand. "Would it kill them to have one green thing on the menu that wasn't drowning in grease?"

Offline Blink

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »
Just as she pressed her finger to the screen someone bumped the table, causing Mia's attention to flick upwards. Turns out someone had just sat in the chair next to her and was obviously in some form of mood.

Unacceptable.

As he whooshed the menu from front to back it caused the hair on her forehead to flip up and then back down, her bangs brushing her nose in the process. Did he really not see her there? Usually, Mia stood out among the Solartan's, her pale skin and bright hair such a contrast to the usual solar acclimated attributes the natives carried.

With the tilt of her head, Mia tucked her bangs back behind her ear, about to speak up when the man let out some kind of statement before pressing his face into his hand. Some may have found all of this rude, except Mia was actually quite entertained by it. So entertained in fact she let out a light giggle before leaning forwards in her chair, folding her hands beneath her chin as she studied him.

"I actually think it would." She laughed, scrunching her nose at the stranger. "Solartans run on bacon, burgers, and grease. Didn't you know?"

Look at her go! Mia was so proud of herself that she was able to make a joke that sounded somewhat normal. She was well aware that for those that did not know her it was hard to understand her sometimes.

"But if you can't handle it I happen to know they make a great barbeque chicken salad here."

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:16:21 am »
Evan startled at the voice speaking to him. His eyes snapped over to the young woman before a smile tugged at the corner of his lips. Tired and miserable he may have been, far be it from him to wallow in it. A gentle, rumbling laugh bubbled up and out of him at her joke and Evan felt the tension start to leave him if only for a moment.

"Who'da thunk it?" he exclaimed jovially. "A B.B.Q. chick-an salad you say. Well I'll take your word for it then." Licking his lips, he looked down at the table-side ordering screen and tapped in her recommendation. What the hell, right? If it truly was that bad then he could just pop into JJ's again for the mother of all burgers to wash it all down.

"Thank you kindly, Ladybug." Evan raised his glass to toast her quietly before taking a sip of liquid courage. "If you're not expecting anyone and wouldn't mind a bit of uncultured company, I'd be honored to share a meal with you." Holding up his hand he hurried to add, "only if you want to though. I can readily relocate myself if you found my face this side of annoying."

Offline Blink

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:45:04 pm »
Again Mia couldn't help the slight tilt of her head when the man began speaking with such an interesting accent. It would be a lie to say she wasn't thrilled that he took her recommendation seriously, truly a rare thing.

As he punched in his order Mia studied him, her broken eyes taking in everything she could for the few short moments she could steal away. Couldn't be more than an inch or so taller from her, though hard to tell when he was sitting down. His eyes, reminding her of the morning mist in Margad that lingered above the rooftop flower gardens. Something about that alone making her feel a bit nostalgic. His fingers rough, worn and covered in grease. Based on that and his attire Mia gathered he was a mechanic of some form.

Interesting...

Mia's brain was sorting all of this out, trying to place pieces together to figure more out about the man without asking further questions. It was luck that his next statement would tell her exactly who that was.

'Ladybug'.

With an even wider grin, Mia lifted her own glass and toasted back. She couldn't help but wonder if he knew who she was. He did call her ladybug, but that could easily be a nickname he gave to all the ladies. The smile Mia was widely known for slightly faltering at his question. Not that he was asking if he could stay at the table, but moreso Mia didn't understand what 'this side of annoying' was.

"There is more than one side of annoying?" Settling back a bit Mia's face twisted into full-on confusion. "I don't find your face annoying at all Evan."

"And if there are more sides of annoying is one side more annoying than the others? Or are they equally annoying? Just how many sides of annoying are there?"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:46:42 pm by Blink »

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:50:47 pm »
He had been oblivious to her musings but his brows shot clear into his hairline the moment she spoke his name. Evan felt his cheeks flush slightly that this pretty woman would know his name and yet he had no idea who she was. It was not like he was some darling cassanova that was sweeping women off their feet left and right. Gears he couldn't even remember the last time he had been with anyone. It was probably after...no he wouldn't think about that. He had a sweet little thing wanting to talk with him He could be accommodating of that and leave cobwebs for other days.

"Well," he mused, his brow crinkling at her questions as he genuinely considered how to answer it. The thought that she was odd and different not once crossing his mind. "I suppose the amounts of annoying differ and are thereby not equal. Because one side would be irritating versus say downright nasty, you know? Like the difference between a gnat and a horsefly. There's levels of it and all."

He cleared his throat nervously and took another sip of his drink, hoping the fire in his cheeks would cool or at least could be blamed by alcohol rather than his own personal discomfort. "Afraid you've caught me at a bit of a loss though, Ladybug. You know my name though I don't recall yours. Perhaps we could um start again?"

Wiping his hand on his trousers he then held it out to her to shake. "Evan Evans at your service."

Offline Blink

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
It was hard not to notice Evan's face turn a light shade of crimson. Must be the heat.

Regardless Mia was fully trying to process the explanation he offered. In fact, she was slightly thrown off that he took the time to explain it, yet another thing that had set him apart from most in just the few moments she had been conversing with him. Even better that he used an analogy that she could understand. A gnat and a horsefly, both bugs but also both substantially different. Suddenly finding the phrase 'this side of annoying' much less confusing than before.

"Evan Evans?"

Again she was tilting her head in confusion while reaching out to shake his hand.

"Did you mean to say your first name twice? It's Tamia by the way, but everyone just calls me Mia." She paused to notice he was still really red. "Is Solarta too hot for you? Do you need some ice?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »
"A pleasure to meet you, Mia," he replied genuinely, loving the sound of her name. "And no my parents were just exceptionally cruel. My given name's Evan and my surname is Evans. Go ahead and laugh, I certainly have enough," he chuckled, taking the potshot at himself without a care. If you couldn't beat them, join them. People were going to laugh so might as well laugh with them, it was a great feeling anyway.

Being called out on his blush though only served to make him turn positively beet red and cough on the foam of his beer. "Must be the beer," he mumbled, wiping his mouth on a tiny napkin meant to be a coaster. "Sorry about that Ladybug, perhaps you're right. I've never been anywhere hotter than Solarta that's for sure.

"Mia, though. You wouldn't happen to be that sweet Valkyrie Pilot I've been talking to the past few days now would you?" He was slow but it was starting to click. He could be dead wrong but the name was ringing a bell. Sadly though it was also a really common nickname. He would be even more embarrassed if he was wrong and had just asked a woman who seemed to know who he was, if she was someone else.

Offline Blink

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:15:53 pm »
Leaning back again Mia watched as Evan explained himself. He sure was adorable, using a coaster as a napkin like that. It wasn't often she got to just sit back and enjoy the company of someone like this. Usually it was all pretty quick flirting followed by a quick trip to the sack. Not that she minded that, but this was for sure a refreshing change of pace for her. Just her, sitting with a strange man casually chatting.

"Yep!" she chirped, bringing her hands down to her lap. "Pilot Cardinal Tamia Rhianu of the Solarta Valkyries! ARROOO!!!" Only a few heads turned in the restaurant as she howled, not nearly as long or as loud as if she were in the company of a fellow squadmate. If it were another Valkyrie she was eating with more heads surely would have turned.

"Also if Solarta is too hot for you we have tons of pools! And I'm sure you've noticed most of the official buildings are air-conditioned. Probably doesn't help that you're wearing such heavy pants."

Without warning Mia stood up from her chair, pulling at the edge of her frayed shorts. "Thin material like this is best." She moved to the strap on her tank top next, weaving the thin strip of material through her fingers. "Same goes for the shirts."

After her little demonstration, Mia sat back down, scooting the chair back up to the table with the usual smile on her face. "So you are here to fix Yavuls arm right? Do you like fixing broken pilots?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:52:46 pm »
Evan beamed at her enthusiastic greeting. He had seen the Valkyrie 'battlecry' in the Pilot chat enough times to recognize it in person. That smile though turned into a wide-eyed stare as his jaw all but tried to unhinge itself in shock. The last thing he had expected was her to give a rather impromptu Solartan fashion show.

"I see what you mean," he coughed, trying hard to get the fire spreading through his body to cool and calm. Tamia Rhianu was a beautiful angel of a woman. Were he a different man, he would have swept her into his arms right then and there and kissed her soundly before dragging her home for some fun between the sheets. As it was though, Evan was a gentleman and a bit of a shy one at that.

He was therefore relieved at her quick change of subject. "Yes!" he squeaked, clearing his throat and shaking his head slightly to compose himself. "yes, I am here to fix your Commander's arm. I'm currently still waiting on the blasted part to arrive. In general though, yes Ladyb-Tamia I do enjoy fixin' people. I don't do the hospital work that sees to it that they live another day and hook it all up but I do the other repairs after the fact. I like knowing that I keep our Pilots running while they're busy keeping us all safe. People like you are my everything for what I do. I can't thank you enough for all you have done and all you will do for Aedolis. My job is so much less in comparison, you know?" He smiled fondly at her as he spoke.

Offline Blink

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:00:36 pm »
Mia scooted closer to the table as she listened to Evan explain himself. When he began she was curious if maybe the heat was getting to him. Not only did he keep flushing red but now apparently had a cough. If this continued a trip to medical would surely be in his future.

"You can call me Ladybug if you want... or Mia. But I don't really like Tamia." Mia shifted in her chair, crossing her legs over one another while ducking her hands into her lap.

While Evan's explanation was clear enough, there was one part that struck Mia as concerning. 'People like you are my everything for what I do.' Did he know about her arm and leg? Or perhaps he just meant pilots in general. Even so, he was a pilot as well, so complimenting every single pilot would also mean he was complimenting himself.

As she sorted everything out Mia couldn't help but let her smile falter. It wasn't that she was ashamed of having artificial limbs, or that she looked down on anyone who had one. It was all for the simple fact that no one liked explaining that they blew themselves up. It was embarrassing, and worst of all she hated how some people used to look at her for it. She grew up with the looks... the 'that poor girl' or 'she's so brave' glares from across any room. In the beginning, her dad was the worst offender, constantly doting and telling her how strong she was being. In reality, all Mia ever wanted to say was how the tables should actually be turned. Her father was the strong one... dealing with a kid like her all on his own.

It was because of all of this Mia swore she would never be the reason for someone to look at her like that again. She didn't want to be pitied and sure as hell didn't want to be the constant reminder of something that was lost.

"I don't think any career among pilots is more important than the other." Mia averted her eyes, locking them on a napkin holder on the next table over.

"I may be in a squad but you are just as important. If it weren't for you our Commander would be walking around with one arm." Instinctively she balled her right hand into a fist in her lap. "I can't imagine how awful that would be." She smiled again, scrunching her nose trying to shake the mood that had just overcome her.

"So tell me about yourself, Evan. Where are you from?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:02 pm »
"My apologies then, Ladybug," he said to her with a gentle nod of his head. He was oblivious to her inner turmoil though and just continued to smile gently until she spoke again. "You have a very wise outlook on our jobs then. Though I will always believe a Squadron CO far outweighs a mechanic like me. I'm a credit-a-dozen. Can find us easy but people like you are amazing." He blushed and chuckled sheepishly. "All fanboying aside of course."

Evan tapped his fingers across the glossy service of the table as he glanced to the ceiling in thought. "Me? I'm from Amristah, I am. Born and raised in my dad's repair shop. We fixed up hoverboards and radios and such. Nothing too fancy but you could say fixin's in my blood, you know? Only seemed natural that when I made it out of ATC I would jump right back into the same things I started in. Well not exactly the same but an engine is an engine and a piece of machinery is still machinery, right?"

He winked at her as he shifted in his seat again. Inside he cursed himself for her being so cute and sweet while he was such a dufus, rattling about stupid things. "Enough about me yeah, I'm just a bucket of boring bolts. What about you? What's good and wonderful in the world of, Ladybug? How is Solarta treating you? It's mighty hot here, don't you think?"

Offline Blink

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 06:57:29 pm »
It was so easy to relate to Evan as he spoke about growing up in his father's shop. While Mia's own father was no mechanic, he was military. For as long as she could remember she was always around the base, absorbing all the information she could in hopes of doing the same as him one day. However, fate chose a different path for her and while it was similar it was by no means the same.

"You are not boring." Again Mia smiled, scooting up once more in her chair whilst pulling her arms up to sit on the table.  "I think you're funny and fascinating all in one."

It was then that Mia took his own question to heart. What was good and wonderful in her own world? Well for one, Evan seemed pretty good and wonderful so far so there was that, but she would keep that to herself.

"I'm just happy to be here", another smile. "I love Solarta, the people, and the visitors. I love my Captain and my squad and I love how warm it is." It would be easy to say that by warm she wasn't just referring to the weather but also to the hearts and personalities of everyone around her.

"My favorite thing though so far would have to be the sand. It's fun to play with." She didn't even think to explain why sand was so mesmerizing because at this rate her mind was zooming through everything else that she saw as wonderful and good.

"OH AND BUGS! I THINK THE BUGS ARE WONDERFUL!"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »
When he had asked the question, Evan had not expected such a full and meaningful response from her. He got one all the same and that just served to make him smile genuinely. She was precious and he loved that she had taken his question so close to heart. "Sounds like you got a lotta love in you there, Ladybug. That's a beautiful thing, yeah?"

Evan laughed to hear her addition about bugs, his eyes crinkling as he grinned ear to ear. "Ladybug was a good name for you then." He was saved from saying more as plates of food were deposited in front of them both. His thoughts were far from his former frustration, exhaustion, and hunger. Now all his focus was on her and her alone.

"Where you from, Mia? Are you Solartan too?"

Offline Blink

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:21 pm »
The way he spoke caused Mia's stomach to twist in an unfamiliar way. He had such a funny way of saying things. At first, she found it intriguing but now it was more like she was just waiting for the next phrase of something strange to dribble out from his lips. Her eagerness to hear another line momentarily abrupted by the delivery of their food.

And then there it was again. Evan's accent and strange way of speaking asking where she was from. "I'm from Margad!" Mia's reply just as full of enthusiasm as any other time she had the opportunity to talk about home. Even the thought of her beautiful home caused her demeanor to perk up another level. "My dad is still there. He works on the military base."

"Have you ever been during Fluerivale? It's my favorite holiday of all of the holidays! They line the streets and shops with the most beautiful flowers." Closing her eyes Mia drew in a deep breath, imagining the sweet smell of all the flowers from home. Except, all she could smell was the barbeque sauce emanating from the chicken on her salad. In an instant, her enthusiasm faded while she was reminded of where she was now. In no way did Mia hate Solarta. It was only the fact of missing her father and all the people she had grown to love back home that brought her down. Homesickness was surely a bitch and even the bright and cheery Mia had troubles fighting it off from time to time.

"Does it ever bother you traveling so much? Do you miss home a lot?"

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 01:53:44 pm »
"Margad, eh? Right on! I can imagine it. Very cool," he declared, bobbing his head with a toothy grin. "I think I was there once. That's the holiday with all them flowers and plants and things. Oh man I was sneezing up storm with all that pollen. Was really colorful though; I liked it."

The way she beamed though took his breath away. She was already beautiful and bright but it was as if the moment she began to talk, she began to glow with a light all of her own. Then just as warmly as that light had shone it was suddenly extinguished. Evan blinked quietly in surprise, wondering if he had imagined it at all with the way her face seemed to fall.

Mia was rolling with it though already onto the next question. "Nah, not really. Well," he paused and pondered. "I guess actually yeah a bit. I mean those long railrides for sure ain't fun when Ferra ain't up to it or is doing whatever it is she does. I think the late nights are the worst, when it's just you and your head. But, I keep busy I think. Make friends where I go, see the new tech as it comes out. That part ain't bad. Got to meet you after all," he beamed back at her, his eyes twinkling with his own joy.

Offline Blink

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:06:19 pm »
Evan was right with keeping yourself busy to help when you're missing home. On days when Mia was feeling the worst she could usually be found taking on an extra DIY project or picking up more duties at Valhalla. Even if in the long run it meant gluing herself to the floor or a random piece of furniture from time to time it still meant her head was being kept from its darkest places.

At the mention of meeting her Mia picked up her usual glow. It was always nice to hear she was pleasant to be around. Everyone, including Mia, probably had moments where they wondered if they were annoying or bothersome to others.

“So I bet you have lots of friends.” With a forkful of lettuce and chicken, Mia chewed on the thought of how many friends Evan could have made over the years. “If you travel a lot and make friends everywhere you go that would have to be hundreds! I'm so jealous! I wish I could have that many friends!”.

So far everything about him was just mesmerizing and with every statement and fact, Mia's infatuation grew more and more. Something about his charm and demeanor was almost intoxicating to her, drawing her in further and further.

“Usually when I make friends they get tired of me after a few days. I mean I have friends and people who do stick around, but they leave more often than they stay.” Mia slipped another mouthful of her meal in, attempting to recount some of the things said to her in the past.

“I've been told I'm too much sometimes. Or just plain annoying. Or I'm cute but only in moderation.” All of this said with a grin on her lips. “But, I guess I would rather be a short pleasant experience than a long bad one. And the ones who call me stupid or something else nasty are probably just having a bad day. So that means even if they are saying unkind things to me, I am still in some way making them feel better.”

All of her words genuine and with a continued smile on her face. Mia always tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. People were allowed to have bad days, and if in any way she could make that day just a little better she would.

Offline GoblinFae

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
"I got a fair few," he admitted gently. Evan wasn't one for making deep friendships that went beyond acquaintances but that wasn't really talk for a moment such as this. And oh how he wanted a moment like this to last and stretch on for a least a couple weeks long. She was beautiful and precious inside and out and he didn't want to miss out on basking in her light for a second.

His grin turned sour though the more she talked about how others treated her. "Well they're just a bunch of idiots, ain't they then? Uff da that's just sillybuggers now. I don't think you're too much, Mia. I think they're just boring and jealous. I hope you don't mind me saying all that. You're...you're ladybug! You're bright and beautiful and cheerful and," his breath caught in his chest suddenly as the blood flushed his cheeks and ears deeply and his brain finally caught up with his fool mouth.

"And I think you'd make a good friend," he added in a shy mutter before stuffing a bit of food in his mouth and chewing slowly to keep from choking or saying anything else silly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal