Home Forum Wiki The Rules Newbie Guide Roleplay Guide Plot & Setting Wanted Characters Aedolis Teinar Edanith Libra Cancer Thanatos Inc. Contact Us Copyright Affiliates Advertise Us Advertise You Donate! Playing a Leader

Author Topic: Spawn of Magical Doors and Bruised Faces. [Moonie]  (Read 902 times)

Offline Blink

Spawn of Magical Doors and Bruised Faces. [Moonie]
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:43 pm »
Waiting until Stage 4, that had been Havanah's plan for a while now. From the first moment, she was handed Matthew Wright's file she knew it was the best way. It was all there, the proof she needed to decide that he wasn't ready until he had reached the next stage. Maybe, just maybe, something would inspire the boy to move up and obviously, something did.

And hopefully whatever it was that inspired him to try would still be lingering today.

She had already sent him a message requesting his presence in Rec Room 4b and now was just waiting. Adorning a lovely pair of blue jeans that seemed to fit her too perfectly and a long sleeved maroon shirt Havanah looked almost like a civilian. No sense in putting on her uniform anyway... not like she actually had to work today.  With her current suspension looming over her head she also figured that maybe investing some time into Matthew that it would help the time go by faster. Not to mention the added bonus of hopefully getting the inside scoop on how her sister was like from fresh eyes.

So she waited... and waited... and waited. Okay so maybe it was a bad idea to show up an hour earlier than she had told him. It's just... she really didn't have anything else to do (besides Alec XD). And while she waited Havanah went from sitting at a table to pacing and then ending with just leaning against the wall with his file still in her hands.

She was thumbing through it for what felt like the thousandth time. She wasn't quite sure what she was looking for that she hadn't already read. Some hidden answer to life? She also couldn't help but wonder what Aspen's file looked like. What notes had her instructors added to it? What had they thought she would make of herself?

"Get your shit together" she whispered. Again not sure if she was talking to herself or hoping that somehow those words would reach her baby sister.

Havanah then took in a deep breath, pushing down any sad or depressing shit that may have been somehow seeping through. This wasn't about Aspen, this was Matthew. Havanah owed him her full attention and come hell or high water she was gonna make sure he fucking got it!

Slapping on the best game face she could muster she went back over to a table and sat down, crossing her legs over one another while she leaned back into it. She looked almost slightly impatient as she stared at the door. And when Matt finally did walk through he would find a very confident and put together looking Havanah. She had her game face on....

His file was spread open in front of her and if any word at all could describe her right now it would most definitely be disappointed.

Offline Zero Undead

Re: Spawn of Magical Doors and Bruised Faces. [Moonie]
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:24 am »
It seemed weird, to slap a mentor on him now of all times. Matt had just passed from Stage 3 to Stage 4. He was practically in the home stretch. Well, he supposed Stage 5 was the real home stretch, but he wasn’t even eighteen yet, so it wasn’t like he could become a pilot yet even if he threw himself at his training as hard as he could.

It wasn’t like he was nervous about meeting his mentor. Matthew had no doubt that he had everything it took to become a decent Pilot. Maybe his drive was currently showing as lackluster, but he had his reasons for that! Why did it have to be Aspen’s sister? He was seriously regretting that comment about Havanah being hot. It was true but that wasn’t the kind of thing you wanted hanging over your head when you met someone that had a lot of control over your life going forward.

Despite Aspen’s constant complaints about her sister, well, she couldn’t be that bad, could she?

Didn’t matter why he’d gotten Aspen’s sister, a Pilot that didn’t even share his specialized psionic ability or specialize in his desired field, Matt knew better than to be late. He opened the door to Rec Room 4b exactly at the time Pilot Brookes had requested him to be there.

“Pilot Echo Brookes, you wanted to see me?” Matt wasn’t sure exactly how Havanah would be as a mentor, but he tried to sound confident. She seemed like a hardcore party girl if all those pictures were to go by, but that was in her personal time. A lot of Pilots might as well flip a switch in their brains when they went on official business or on duty. He wondered if he would end up the same.

Probably.

Right now she seemed, uh, well he wasn’t quite sure. It was kind of like the look his mother usually gave him on those occasional visits.

Offline Blink

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:27:02 pm »
He was tall, like really tall. What the hell were they feeding these kids!? Not only tall but he was built like an ox and had beautiful eyes. Like damn.... he was going to make a fantastic husband for Aspen one day if Havanah had her way.

Havanah was thoroughly impressed just on looks alone with this kid. Not to mention his professionalism. He was perfectly on time and addressed her with so much respect. Already she could hear wedding bells chiming in the distance.

Moving on..... she had a point for trying to look disappointed.

Darting her eyes back to the file in front of her Havanah began pulling one of the papers out and started reading the comments on it out loud.

"Shows great promise, but overall doesn't seem like he is giving 100 percent..." Havanah then ripped the paper out completely and threw it on the floor.

"If I ever see a review like this again in your file I will skin you alive..." Scary Inquisitor Havanah had taken center stage by now. "Kapeesh?"

After that minor display, she closed the file and pushed away from the table, standing and then walking towards him. Havanah then began to circle him as she walked with her hands on her hips.

"So what crawled up your ass and made you decide to become a Stage 4? Because from everything else I have read you should have been at this stage months ago."

Okay, so she couldn't be serious Havanah 100% of the time. "Or better question.... Who crawled up your ass and made you decide to become Stage 4?"

She stopped in front of him, hands still on her hips as she leveled him again with her gaze even though he was much taller than her. "Please be Aspen... please be Aspen... Marry my little sister and make me the happiest woman alive." Her own secret thoughts hidden by a fierce stare.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:29:12 pm by Blink »

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:32:06 am »
Matt knew when he was being sized up; he only wished he knew what she was thinking. That look of disappointment remained, but Pilots were good at hiding their thoughts and feelings until they wanted you to know. Instead of fidgeting or getting nervous at the examination, he simply kept his head straight and posture at attention.

It wasn’t until she read out one of his instructor’s comments, and subsequently threw it on the ground like so much trash, that Matt had any reaction at all. He winced.

Well didn’t she sound just right pissed?

“Yes Ma’am!” What else could he even say? There was literally no other response he could have given to that order. It wasn’t like she was wrong. Matt knew he’d been slacking and dragging his feet through the entire program. If they thought he wasn’t going to be a good damn Pilot he might have gotten himself TRIMed over it; except he never slacked enough to put himself in serious danger of that, because Matt wasn’t fucking stupid.

When Havanah rose from her chair and came to circle him it was hard not to tense up. Matt refused to be stiff and look uncomfortable under her vulture-like appraisal. He was Stage 4, well over halfway to becoming a Pilot himself, and would not act like he was afraid over something so small. Pilots were fucking fearless, and he was going to be one.

Matt quirked an eyebrow at the question – or questions rather. It was a fair question from his mentor, to want to know what motivated him. Still, one corner of his mouth lifted slightly as he leveled his eyes right back at her. “I heard that my friend, Candidate Montgomery Flane, was taking his Stage 4 test and immediately went down to Candidate Affairs to demand they also test me on the same day. I didn’t want to be left behind, and as you said yourself, I should have been tested months ago. It seemed like as good a time as any to make the leap.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:58:03 am »
Again Havanah found herself disappointed with her candidate. Not because he had decided to finally move up, but because it wasn't for Aspen. HOW TRAGIC.

"Mhmm" she hummed, taking a step back while she tapped her fingers on her hip.

For a moment Havanah was silent, deep in thought as she tried to think of what she could do to help Matthew. He honestly was doing a pretty great job, there really wasn't much to critique other than a few things here and there.

"So let me get this straight..." She was moving again, almost dragging her feet beneath her as she took a couple more steps back and then to the side. "... you decided on a whim that because one of your friends was testing up that oh, I don't know. What the hell I'll just take it and get it over with!?"

She pressed a finger to the space between her eyes and sighed. Okay so maybe there was a tiny problem here.

With a finger still pressed she continued, her voice starting out low before growing significantly.

"I just don't understand.... I don't understand how you guys think what everyone else is doing is important right now." Havanah was now grouping Matt with Aspen. She remembered how in her candidate years that at the end of the day the most important thing was yourself.

"I mean like... I get it. All of this stress you are under is nice to unload on someone every once in a while. But you should never-" she cut off and finally placed her hand back on her hip, leveling him with her gaze once more.

"I repeat NEVER hold yourself back for any reason!" Havanah was then pacing again, clearly having a moment with Matt's entire statement.

"What if they decided to Trim you because they thought you didn't care? What if they decided that you were just 'okay' and nothing more than that? What good will you be to them if you're not even willing to give it literally everything you have?"

Okay so now Havanah was just on a rant, the serious Inquisitor shining through as she continued to get worked up over this.

"You are here to learn and become magnificent! You are here so that one day you may be chosen by a dragon to serve our great nation! Show them that you deserve it!"

So what if only a few minutes ago Havanah had hoped he would say he did it for Aspen. She was a hypocrite but didn't care. Deep down she knew what was really expected of candidates and this... well this wasn't cutting it.

In a last-ditch effort to show just how pissed she was Havanah walked back over to the table and picked up his file. Then without warning, she threw it in his direction and watched as its contents scattered all over the floor.

"You're better than this shit Matthew! Get it together!"

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:48 pm »
He was not stupid. Anytime a woman used mhmm at you, you done fucked up in her opinion. Since she was a Pilot and his mentor Matt knew he’d better pay damn close attention to her opinion. His eyes followed her like a hawk as she dragged her feet, hackles already rising slightly at the berating he was about to get.

Well when you put it that way. Matt couldn’t even deny that was exactly what happened. Landis was taking the test, so he decided he had to take it. Definitely a ‘what the hell’ kind of decision on his part, and he wasn’t even sorry for it.

Yes, he should have taken the test months ago.

Yes, doing it the way he did, without intensive prep work beforehand, was probably considered stupid.

Matt just didn’t care if he’d been reckless about taking his Stage 4 examine. To him it wasn’t even a reckless decision. As far as he was concerned there was no way he could have failed that test. It was past time he moved forward.

So he stood there, expression stoic as he took the verbal lashing. He thought he made a fairly good show of taking the smack down in perfect stride. The only real smudge on his performance a slight twitch of his left eye as the file was thrown at him, papers scattering on the floor around him. He wondered how many other Candidates might have gotten flustered or defensive after being dressed down by their mentor.

“You’re completely right, Pilot Echo Brookes. I haven’t been giving the program everything I have, and I do worry about what everyone else is doing.” His voice was calm, and low, never raising and far from arrogant or sarcastic. “Landis is my friend, and I made my decision to move forward based on his decision to move forward, and that was wrong of me, but I didn’t stay in Stage 3 because of him, if that is what you’re thinking. You know who my parents are – Pilot Royal Summer Meadows and Pilot Royal Lucas Wright. That’s a lot of expectation to sit on anyone’s shoulders.”

Matt actually lowered his eyes to the floor. “I want to be a Pilot more than anything. I was bred, born, and raised to become a Pilot. It’s in my blood and DNA. It’s also the reason I didn’t want to rush through my Candidacy. I’m not old enough to even graduate yet, ma’am. I still have a little bit to go to hit the minimum years of Candidacy on top of that. Not all my friends will make it. I know that, you know that, everyone knows that. It didn’t seem like I should hurry to…leave them behind.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 01:07:42 pm »
It was only fair to give him a chance to speak after what she had just put him through. Slowly Havanah calmed down, letting each and every word sink in as he spoke it. Her heart even sank a little bit when he mentioned leaving other candidates behind. That was the kicker, wasn't it? Not all of them make it, not all of them are cut out to be a Pilot. She empathized with his reasoning because it was logical in her eyes, even if it wasn't to the eyes of those higher up.

"Listen let's make a deal then." Havanah shifted and crossed her arms in front of her. "No more holding back. You have less than a year until you are of age. That is not much time to complete Stage 4 and 5. I know you can do it and I want you to prove to everyone else that this is a cakewalk for you. Do that for me and I swear I won't come in guns blazing every time I see you."

Again Havanah moved towards the table, taking one of her hands and placing it on the back of a chair. "However, if you don't... I will be throwing more at you than a pile of papers." It was a warning of sorts. That chair could easily become a deadly weapon in her hands and if she had to, she would beat the living hell out of him with it to get the point across.

"So with all of that out of the way come sit... let's talk." It was like a switch was flipped as Havanah's usual quirky smile emerged. "Tell me if you need anything or what I can do for you as a mentor. What do you want to do after candidacy? I can start putting feelers out now and get you some opportunities after you graduate."

Yes, Havanah wholeheartedly believed that Matthew was going to graduate. "Also I have a very short amount of time to plan the most epic Candidate graduation party of all time."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:15:10 pm by Blink »

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
Anytime someone said they wanted to make a deal, it put Matt on edge. It was especially bad right now, when he had absolutely zero control over the terms of said deal, and no option not to accept it. So ‘let’s make a deal’ was far closer to ‘this is what’s gonna happen’ in this scenario. All he could do was listen to Havanah tell him how it was going to go with her mentoring him.

Less than a year to pass Stages 4 and 5? That was a pretty shit deal, since he had no control over passing Stage 5 in any capacity. He could be a Stage 5 for several days or several years. Graduation all boiled down to whether or not a dragon decided to probe and accept him as their Pilot.

“I can promise to do my best, Ma’am. No more slacking off, you’ve got my word on that. Now that I’m almost old enough to actually get out, the time for goofing around is definitely over.” Matt didn’t have much choice about that, with his mentor ordering him to show everyone what a cake walk the rest of the candidacy was for him. Of course, there was also the fact that – holy shit he was almost old enough to get out of the ATC.

He wasn’t sure just what he was expecting when she had moved back to the table, but inviting him to sit wasn’t it. Matt genuinely looked surprised for a moment, before hesitantly moving over and sitting opposite of her. Part of him felt like he should still be standing at attention even as he tried to make himself comfortable.

“Well I don’t know about that, Ma’am. You’ve probably got plenty of time, but I didn’t realize there was going to be a party. Don’t mentors usually just get you a generic gift and a pat on the back?” Matt laughed softly, since to him that’s always the impression he’d gotten. That week of vacation before real work began was going to be fucking sweet, though. “I do already know exactly what I want to do when I graduate, though. I am gunning hard for Combat Operations with a specialty in Infiltration. If I get my way, I’ll be on a squad as soon as possible. Pilot Royal Alberich was at the ATC during my test, and seemed at least interested enough to speak with me. Becoming a Hellion would be…let’s say my dream position.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:19 am »
It was an impulse to smirk at his comment of what mentors usually did. Havanah waited until he finished telling her about his encounter with Pilot Royal Alberich before finally chiming in.

"A Hellion huh?" Havanah made it a point to pull out her Com and type in a quick note. "Well if that's what you want then I will do whatever I can to help you out. Though it seems you already took care of this yourself."

WIth each passing second Havanah was growing more impressed with Matthew. He would make a great addition wherever it was he decided to go after graduation. The Hellion's would be lucky to have him.

"Also..." Havanah fell serious again for only a second. "I am no 'usual' mentor." Sitting back in her chair a bit she winked. "I am Havanah Brookes and I'll be damned if any Candidate of mine goes out without a fucking bang."

"I have a reputation to hold up to. I can't even imagine anyone expecting anything less of me." Havanah then drew in a deep breath, sliding her Com back into her pocket as she leaned forwards on the table.

"Enough official Pilot talk now. I am officially not in mentor mode anymore. Tell me all about how my Candy baby sister is doing."

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:20:47 am »
“Yes Ma’am, I always work for what I want.” Nobody owed you a damn thing, and he couldn’t expect others to just hand him the things he wanted in life. Matt had been told time and again that if you wanted something out of life that you fought tooth and nail to get it. It was why he was so self-conscious about the rumors of him getting special treatment for being the son of Pilots.

Damned if he wasn’t going to earn everything he got! If he was going to be a Hellion once he graduated it was going to be because he worked his ass off to get that position. That was another reason he knew it was time to stop any notion of fooling around. He’d never make squad if he couldn’t show how dedicated and focused he could be. Nobody wanted a slacker on their squad, least of all Pilot Royal Alberich.

Matt wasn’t going to be anyone’s dead weight.

His brooding stopped as he laughed, not a polite chuckle, but a genuine cackle. “I’ll keep that in mind, Ma’am. I like unusual, so that works out for me just fine. I’m thinking we’re going to get along pretty good, you and me.”

It would be nice if he liked his mentor, made it easier to talk to them. Not to mention he could possibly still reach out to her after graduation if he needed someone’s advice or help. Of course, if he made it onto the Hellions he supposed he’d be relying on his squad mates for any support necessary during the transition.

“Aspen?” Matt should have expected to be asked about her at some point. “Well if you read the Candidate blog you’re probably about as in the know as I am. Your sister’s a sweet kid, I like her, but we’re not buddy-buddy. If you want dirt on what she’s up to when not on the blog I’d suggest chatting with Soleas and Viktor, they’re her closest friends. You could try Vanessa too, since they’re roomies now she might know more than anyone else.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:58:50 pm »
Not buddy buddy... how disappointing. Again Havanah saw the dream of wedding bells in her sister's future crumble and shatter. Dammit.

"Wait wait wait..." Havanah was not believing what she was hearing. "You mean to tell me that not only does Aspen have a friend.. but it's more than one! AND SHE HAS A ROOM MATE!"

She was practically choking on the pure joy of this news as well as hurt that Aspen hadn't told her any of this herself.

"Soleas and Viktor... those sound like boy names." Another shock as Havanah tried to digest all of this information. "Aspen actually talks to them? She doesn't clam up and faint or anything like that?"

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »
"Those are definitely boy names." Matt laughed softly, shaking his head. "It's Baliska and Blackmourne, you've met them. They were the two caught breaking curfew with her. A night spent locked in the SDT seems to have done wonders on bonding them all together. They seem almost inseparable to me. She gets on pretty good with Vanessa too, from what I can tell. That’s her roommate.”

To be fair, being punished by his mother seemed like a pretty harrowing experience for anyone to go through. They’d probably relied on each other to come through it. Part of him wondered if that wasn’t half of what his mother was trying to do in the first place. Stage 3 was all about teamwork, maybe she meant for them to grow closer? It was really impossible to say what his mother was thinking most of the time. He’d given up trying years ago.

“Nope, no fainting or anything from what I can tell. She still seems really shy, but you should see her in a foot race. I watched her leave Soleas and Viktor in her dust. The losers had to kiss, so that was pretty entertaining.” Matt made a bit of a face. “She wrecked me one on one in a race and I had to kiss Vanessa. I mean, I didn’t mind kissing Vanessa at all; she’s a cute and sweet girl. Losing sucked, though.”

Offline Blink

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
So the two curfew breakers were these boys that Aspen had managed to surround herself with. She remembered them vaguely, but nothing too horrid. Well, other than the fact that one of them looked like they had a stick too high up his ass.

And then there was this Vanessa girl. Havanah had heard that name before and it didn't take long for her to piece together that she was Alec's candidate. This was good news... it meant that she knew at least one of her sister's friends was guaranteed to graduate.

Havanah's good mood was only multiplied when Matt told her how Aspen was doing great when it came to foot races. It made sense, Aspen was always running from something in one way or another. Even better was that Aspen was willing to bet such high stakes on it.

"Aspen has never been kissed as far as I know" Havanah was laughing, leaning further back in her chair as she recalled some of the memories she held for her. "She's never been the touchy feely type. If you met our father and her mom you would understand why. Those two always like to flaunt how much they just 'love' her."

Havanah was, of course, referring to the act those two always put on when it came to being a parent. It only mattered when there was someone around important enough to try and impress. She knew what it was like all the other times... how heartless and cold they were towards her.

"Anyways moving on. I'm glad I came and met you. I have to get going but I will be back to check on you before you know it."

Havanah then stood up, extending her hand for Matthew to shake.

"Until next time Candidate Wright"

Offline Zero Undead

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:12 am »
“Wouldn’t surprise me if she hasn’t, that girl ran like the world would end if she lost.” Matt chuckled and shook his head just thinking about it. It hadn’t just been the race between those three either. Aspen had done the same when racing him and faced with the possibility of having to kiss someone as the punishment for losing.

Honestly, Matt hadn’t minded losing too much. Aspen had picked Vanessa out as the object of his loser’s kiss, and it had been just fine. Vanessa had been a great sport about the whole thing and hadn’t seemed to mind too much getting a little peck from him.

“They sound like assholes.” He mused, one corner of his mouth quirked up in a smirk. Matt knew a thing or two about asshole parents. His mother was a bitch.

As soon as Havanah stood up, Matt did as well. He was surprised the meeting was so brief, but he supposed there wasn’t a whole lot more to say to each other. She’d laid out her expectations quite efficiently and he’d of course agreed to any and all demands – as a good Candidate should. He took her offered hand, firmly shaking it with a grin.

“It was nice meeting with you Pilot Echo Brookes. I promise not to disappoint you.” Matt was going to work his ass off to get to Stage 5. After that he just had to impress a dragon. No pressure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal